Author Topic: how much should you believe a reflexologist?  (Read 4720 times)

Offline intaiwan

• Learning
how much should you believe a reflexologist?
« on: November 29, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »
ok, it has been a few months since I went to see her, I do need to get back though...... but I have been concerned with somethings she said like "so you have a bad heart?"...I was having heart palpitations and before my ob/gyn said my heartbeat was irregular and pulse was slow...... I haven't had that checked out (I hate dr's and having to usually speak in Chinese makes it more annoying for me!)..........then she said "your liver too." I understand that they aren't dr's and can't make any prognosis, but still................I have been wondering about these things since she said them..........she was right on with other stuff about back pains, low blood pressure, headaches, etc.......it was kinda freaky too!!!!
So, if a reflexologist (who has been doing this for 14yrs!!) tells you stuff, how much do you believe? I don't want to go crazy or anything, but you know.............

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Re: how much should you believe a reflexologist?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:59:22 AM »
I have a book on Reflexology and apparently a professional can tell from certain body signs.  For instance, if your ring finger is tense you have chronic headaches (possibly migraines).  The whole thing sounded very interesting to me.  I know our bodies are interconnected far more intimately than we usually imagine.  Subtle little pinches and massages can relieve major pain in seemingly non-related places.
If you are in doubt and can get a book (in English  ;) ) --- go for it.  I TOTALLY agree with the foreign doctor thing, it IS frustrating.  I found my book on half.com and my SIL sent it to me.  She lived down here for four years and because of that has been the BEST mailer I have encountered.
Hope this has been some help,
Lisa

PS.  My book is called Body Reflexology Healing at Your Fingertips by Mildred Carter
It is from the '80's and recommended to me by my SIL's mother, who is a pastor's wife and not at all inclined to new fangled or exaggerated things.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:11:48 AM »
My take on it is that reflexology occasionally works for all the wrong reasons.

I have personal experience with it. I have researched it. I have text books on it. I have seen people who benefitted from it. I have seen people's pocketbooks lightened by its practitioners and receive no benefit -- only to be told that they were blocking the healing (lack of faith on their part).

For more specifics on reflexology and my views see this thread:
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1611.0.html

I especially support Gabe's statement in this regard.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:22:49 AM »
I just want to say that I abhor anything to do with witchcraft!  The book I mentioned above is massage techniques only.  She has pictures and diagrams explaining her methods.  The lady that recommended it to me is as far from new age as one can get and still be breathing!  I just wanted to clarify that I absolutely do not believe in any mind over matter approach to medicine.  I have a niece that does yoga and my husband won't let my daughters participate (amen!) because of the origins of the practice.  The thing is, my very godly in-laws allow her to do these exercises in their home saying, "She is not practicing the religion, only doing the exercises."  I praise God that my MAN doesn't even want the CD in the house.
Sorry for the tirade, just wanted to make it very clear that the book I recommended above is massage therapy only.
Lisa
PS--- The other plus is that it is all about doing it yourself, and NOT going to a doctor.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 05:24:58 AM by amazonmama2five »
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:37:29 AM »
I know of many God-fearing, Bible believing people that practice and engage in this practice. There are many levels of it from simple massage techniques, to asking yes or no questions to muscles and getting an answer based on the response of the muscle (as in dowsing and wiji boards). Just as there are physical exercises with religious roots, practices like reflexology and iridology should be considered with their roots in mind.

It is one thing to understand the body's physiology (nervous system) and use it to relieve pain. It is quite another to hold a potion in one hand and expect to receive an answer from a mystical source as to whether the substance will be helpful for the person holding it.

I don't tell others to not engage in the practice because I find that to debate the issue brings needless division. However, if someone asks me my opinion, I offer it. I have understanding for those who engage in the practice, as I did so at one time. However, the more I learned about it and asked God to teach me, I found that I was not able to continue -- or to be under the care of those who did -- with a clear conscience.

The reference books that I have on the issue are all in support of the practice. So, from the standpoint of research, much of my study has been on the side of those who support and promote the practice. It is very easy to understand why people (very good people) are drawn to reflexology.

That is why I recommend the objective guidelines that Gabe suggested in the other thread to evaluate this or any other alternative medicine practice. This is an individual's responsibility to decide, and IMO that decision should not be made solely upon my recommendation or the fact that someone you respect and/or admire participates in it.

For those who are mulling over their options in alternative medicine, I recommend the book: The Biblical Guide to Alternative Medicine. I don't agree with all of their conclusions, but I find it to be a useful reference when determining the origins of a practice and what -- if any -- use I have for it.

Finally, if I have caused offense, it was unintentional. Please know that whether it is in this thread or another, if I express a strong opinion on a topic, it is USUALLY because I have learned the hard way and made mistakes in my own life that give me compassion for others and a desire to save them some of the trouble I caused myself.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:43:58 AM by SC »

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »
Thank you SC, for your forth rightness and concern.  I have always been leery of Amish doctors because I found out quite by accident that some of them engage in other than godly methods.  This "reflexology" practice is sounding more and more along those same lines.  I want nothing to do with things that can cause long term problems between me and my Savior.  Although I have barely read the book, I feel compelled to toss it and not even pursue this form of study.
I am very grateful to have encountered other women who long to serve Jesus Christ and bring glory to God in all they do.
When I just read your post my spirit responded with an "amen!" 
I can't wait to get back to the U.S. for furlough and meet some of you all in person!
Have a great day,
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline intaiwan

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:03:49 PM »
this lady was taught by a Catholic priest 14years ago...........foot masage/reflexogolgy is really a big thing here in Taiwan. She doesn't have any potion or medicines or go into any type of trance or anything. My friend who took me there, her mom and some friends who had visited more than once had great responses. They tell me it is with the way something feels and the pressure points. I admit my foot felt alot better afterwards, but needs to have something done again.
I am just wondering how much believe her when she says something about my liver or heart.......kwim?  we have a pastor friend from Japan who had some bad diarrehea  , he went to another place (not the same place I go) and it cleared it up (he hates to take medicine)..............
hmmmm!!!! dh doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it and he is from Taiwan, he wanted to have it done, but afraid of pain!! Now I will have to think about some of this. I appreciate all that has been posted and everyone being upfront. I was not offended at all, I was actually expecting to hear good and bad responses, for which I am grateful!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »
My take on it is that reflexology occasionally works for all the wrong reasons.

I have personal experience with it. I have researched it. I have text books on it. I have seen people who benefitted from it. I have seen people's pocketbooks lightened by its practitioners and receive no benefit -- only to be told that they were blocking the healing (lack of faith on their part).

For more specifics on reflexology and my views see this thread:
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1611.0.html

I especially support Gabe's statement in this regard.
Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought reflexology what a technique in acupressure massage, not muscle testing. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 10:04:18 PM »
I apologize in advance for my simplistic explanation of these practices. This is just a thumbnail on them and there is a lot more information out there for anyone who wishes to do the research.

Loosely stated, reflexology is based on the belief that the body's wellbeing is controlled by an energy force that works in a way that is comparative to an electrical system. If a circuit is blocked, then energy flow is reduced or prevented from delivering its full benefit. The hands, feet, and other parts of the body are believed to contain pressure points or on/off switches which open and close these circuits. By finding sore spots (pressure points), a practitioner will offer his/her diagnosis of a problem with an organ or gland based on where the sore spot is located. By massaging the sore spot, the circuit is opened and the troubled area receives the full benefit of the energy force, thereby promoting healing. This is also the basis for acupuncture.

Maps of the eyes (iridology) show markings, colorations, etc. which are believed to signal problems in other parts of the body.

I should insert here that these maps of points on the hands, feet, head, eyes, etc. were made long before modern science had studied and mapped the nervous system of the human body.

Another procedure based with the same belief system origin as reflexology is muscle strength testing (kinesiology). This is based on the belief that a substance can interrupt the 'energy force' if it is not beneficial to the body. A participant holds a substance (a piece of fruit, for example) and the practitioner formulates a question in his mind. A test is made by seeing if the participant is able to exert the same amount of force against the practitioner when holding the substance and when not holding the substance. In whatever state the exertion feels stronger to the practitioner, that is deemed best for the participant. So, if holding the apple seems to make the participant weaker, the energy force is interrupted by the apple's presence and therefore the participant is deemed 'allergic' to the apple and in need of further adjustment.

This is used in yet another way by practitioners who make 'adjustments' to their clients -- either with therapeutic massage and/or (some types of) chiropractic care. After receiving treatment, the practitioner will 'test' the client's muscle strength and declare that there has been improvement or not. Based on the response, further treatments may be scheduled or the client can be declared "in balance."

This can be frustrating if you have an actual problem and are in need of a true chiropractic adjustment. I once found myself on a table trying to convince the chiropractor that I really did need an adjustment only to have him declare (after muscle strength testing) that I was 'in balance' and did not need further treatment -- nevermind that I was hurting. I didn't realize at the time why he was pushing on my arm. I learned this later.

I believe things like therapeutic massage and chiropractic care are beneficial. However, I now know to be careful who I allow to minister to my body. I prefer not to be ministered to by those who employ practices that I find objectionable. I pick and choose the procedure I will subject myself to in these fields just as I do when it comes to the medical community.

The sad part is that there are some wonderful professionals out there who minister  in these areas and in order to become licensed to practice, they must take these classes based on (IMO) occult practices.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:57:43 AM »
The sad part is that there are some wonderful professionals out there who minister  in these areas and in order to become licensed to practice, they must take these classes based on (IMO) occult practices.
know thine enemy ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »
I think like anything it can be used for good and bad.

After reading alot of this thread there must be  alot of differant explanations of what  reflexology is. 

My mom took some classes to be a foot  reflexologist. In that class she learned that somehow ( I dont understand it) the bodys nerves are all connected somehow in the feet.

So when massaging the feet when there is a painful spot then whatever body part or body system is connected to that part of the foot is having some troubles. Like inflammation and so on.

Its the same with eye reading ( irodology) the nerves of the body are some how conncected to the eyes. Thus the eyes will show sings of trouble in the areas that the body is having trouble with. For example after my hysterectomy last year my eyes showed that something was going on in the area of my female reporductive system. Like, DUH I thought.  :D

But they cant  always fully determine what is going on in the body just what areas of the body are being affected.

I think there has been occult ppl who have taken  reflexology and irodology and made them into unGodly things. They do that with lots of stuff  like they use herbs for some of their unGodly stuff so does that mean we should never use herbs?.  Of course not.   

reflexology and irodology are just the use of the bodies nerves in helping determine where a problem is in the body. Dont let the occults reuin it and take over it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:54:15 AM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »