Author Topic: Stable Whipped Cream Recipe  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
Stable Whipped Cream Recipe
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:51:11 AM »
My mom came across this somewhere.  Sorry I can't quote from which book..it's from my mom!
It is whipped cream that will stay stable for recipes, etc w/o all the nasty cool whip additives  ;)

2 cups whipping cream
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin dissolved in 2 T. cold water.

Whip cream until barely getting stiff.  Add gelatin to cream beating at same time.

We have found to add to salads, etc it is good that way. To serve as a topping for pie, etc we like to add a little vanilla flavor and sweetner.  I'm sure you could make it to your taste.  Hope you enjoy.
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Stable Whipped Cream Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »
THANKS!!! With Christmas comming up, I will definitely be trying this.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
I like this idea... Has anyone else tried this? I'm making a cake, and I'd like to know how "stable" the whipping cream is... for example, can I put it in a pastry bag and use a star tip, and it'll hold the shape? Does the gelatin add any taste at all? Thanks!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
I have tried this for frosting.  Adding sugar makes it somewhat stiffer as well as the gelatin.  The unflavored gelatin doesn't add any taste.  I usually heat the softened gelatin in a small pan till it dissolves before adding it to the almost done whipped cream.  It works okay in a pastry bag, though the shapes are not as crisp as with other frostings.  You also have to work fast, or take breaks to cool the frosting again because as you hold the bag the whipped cream will soften from the heat of your hands and then it gets pretty messy.  I only decorate things for my family and have never had professional instruction so I'm not that picky about it looking perfect.  Adding some softened cream cheese at the end of whipping also gives it a little more stiffness.  I've only done this once since thinking of it and it worked fairly well.  I don't really like the super sweetness of standard cream cheese frosting, and the whipped cream tones down the cream cheese taste somewhat.  Good luck!!!