Author Topic: Egg Nog - Mmmmm!  (Read 33806 times)

Offline Grace

• Adept
Re: Egg Nog - Mmmmm!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »
...I'm impatiently waiting for spring so I'll have raw milk again!...
Ummm....can you tell me why you're skipping raw milk for now?  I've heard pople say to avoid it, and have read that book by Jodi Piccoult "Plain Truth" that had an Amish woman's baby die b/c of something in the raw milk...why can't I think of the name of it...???
Ella is my sister and I think she just can'tget the milk until spring.  Let me know if I am wrong sis!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 02:20:41 PM »
...I'm impatiently waiting for spring so I'll have raw milk again!...
Ummm....can you tell me why you're skipping raw milk for now?  I've heard pople say to avoid it, and have read that book by Jodi Piccoult "Plain Truth" that had an Amish woman's baby die b/c of something in the raw milk...why can't I think of the name of it...???

I'm skipping the raw milk because the goats are dry for winter. I have read the risks but would personally feel safe drinking raw milk while pregnant.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 02:27:51 PM »
Anybody ever try some version of Egg nog with kefir??

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 04:41:24 AM »
:D  'Tis the season (we had our first frost this weekend)!  I ran across a recipe in my address book...maybe it's from WTM?

~1 3/4 c. cream (from a gallon?).  Add milk to make 2 cups.
4 eggs
3 T. maple syrup
nutmeg
BLEND!

I want some so badly, but we don't have the ingredients currently.  :(

Kids and I just had this as a breakfast thanksgiving treat (I finally have eggs I can trust and yummy raw milk and cream).  It was a big hit!!!  Thanks Yooper!

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 06:26:19 PM »
Being a city dweller, fresh eggs and raw milk are pretty hard to come by. I want to make my own eggnog, but can I trust store bought eggs? Sorry, but I have to use the $3.00 a gallon pasteurized milk from the store> ;) ;D I wonder if I can put a goat in my back yard... security, you know. ;)

" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 04:22:47 AM »
There are a few recipes here that call for cooking everything, so if you don't trust your eggs you could use one of those.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »
Throw in some Tummy Tuneup or Acidophilus and it will eat the salmonella before you do.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »
I can't believe all these eggnog recipes and none with rum or bourbon in them! I mean, I know from the wine and the hot toddy threads that at least some of you drink alcohol!

I found this one from the food network site that calls for 3 oz. bourbon:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32424,00.html

And this one, from www.eggnogrecipe.net, calls for 3 cups rum:
Christmas Eggnog
12 egg yolks
5 cloves, whole
4 cups milk
4 cups cream
3 cups light rum
1+ ¾ cups sugar
2+ ½ teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¾ teaspoon nutmeg, ground

In a saucepan over low heat, blend the milk, cinnamon, cloves and half a teaspoon of the vanilla essence.
Keep stirring while mixture heats, and remove from heat just before boiling point.
In a bowl, mix together the sugar with all those egg yolks.
Make sure you whisk them well so that they're light and fluffy.
Gently and a little at a time, pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.
Transfer mixture back into your saucepan over a medium heat while continuing to stir.
Keep stirring until your eggnog mixture starts to resemble custard.
Never let the mixture to reach boiling point!!
Pour and strain the mixture into a jug, making sure to remove the cloves.
Stand jug in the fridge for an hour or two.
Gently stir in the cream, light rum, remaining vanilla and ground nutmeg.
Put back into the fridge overnight.
Serve in cups with a little extra ground nutmeg, cinnamon or baking cocoa sprinkled lightly on top.

Serves: 8.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »
and the hot toddy threads that at least some of you drink alcohol!

Okay, are you serious?  What is a hot toddy?  We have a thread for this?  Gotta go look this up. 

There is now.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13726.0.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:41:18 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 04:25:12 AM »
I can't believe all these eggnog recipes and none with rum or bourbon in them! I mean, I know from the wine and the hot toddy threads that at least some of you drink alcohol!

I found this one from the food network site that calls for 3 oz. bourbon:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32424,00.html

And this one, from www.eggnogrecipe.net, calls for 3 cups rum:
Christmas Eggnog
12 egg yolks
5 cloves, whole
4 cups milk
4 cups cream
3 cups light rum
1+ ¾ cups sugar
2+ ½ teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¾ teaspoon nutmeg, ground

In a saucepan over low heat, blend the milk, cinnamon, cloves and half a teaspoon of the vanilla essence.
Keep stirring while mixture heats, and remove from heat just before boiling point.
In a bowl, mix together the sugar with all those egg yolks.
Make sure you whisk them well so that they're light and fluffy.
Gently and a little at a time, pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.
Transfer mixture back into your saucepan over a medium heat while continuing to stir.
Keep stirring until your eggnog mixture starts to resemble custard.
Never let the mixture to reach boiling point!!
Pour and strain the mixture into a jug, making sure to remove the cloves.
Stand jug in the fridge for an hour or two.
Gently stir in the cream, light rum, remaining vanilla and ground nutmeg.
Put back into the fridge overnight.
Serve in cups with a little extra ground nutmeg, cinnamon or baking cocoa sprinkled lightly on top.

Serves: 8.

It's funny you say that, when I told my MIL that I made homemade egg nog and that the kids loved it, she was a little shocked.  She thought I was making the version with alcohol. :D.  Gonna make some more for breakfast tomorrow YUM!!!

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 04:51:30 AM »
Throw in some Tummy Tuneup or Acidophilus and it will eat the salmonella before you do.  ;D

LOL! Acidophilus Eggnog????? I may try that... I used one of the cooked egg recipies here and almost gagged! :P The family liked it though!
How much should I use, do ya think?
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 09:32:30 AM »

LOL! Acidophilus Eggnog????? I may try that... I used one of the cooked egg recipies here and almost gagged! :P The family liked it though!
How much should I use, do ya think?

I would think it would depend on the amount of servings per batch. I might add one Tummy Tuneup per glass. Might sound like overkill, but if you were worried about it better to have a little more than not enough. Tummy Tuneup being probiotics is just going to make your eggnog more healthy IMO.

My family always used a recipe that called for raw eggs too. We have used ones from the store and also farm fresh. We never had a problem with them. Best eggnog I ever had though is made with fresh milk with the cream shaken in. So rich and creamy.

Our recipe is as follows:

4 cups of milk
2-3 eggs
4-5 T. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
pinch of nutmeg
Blend in the blender till smooth and creamy.

The recipe with the maple syrup sounds really good. I am thinking about trying that one, the one with the coconut oil for the extra health benefits and also, the one with the orange juice sounded good.
HTH
Blue Rose

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »

1 egg
1 T honey
1 cup milk or milk and cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
dash nutmeg

Just put it in the blender, raw,  the honey makes it thicker.  It is even thicker if you use  more cream.  We have a cow, so I just don't skim it first.  In the summer I add a few ice cubes and it is a nice, quick, healthy, protine snack that cools everyone off. 

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 08:05:59 AM »
I just tried a new eggnog today for breakfast that was awesome!  I pared this down for one serving and changed it to use stevia and kept everything raw, but her instructions tell how to cook it if you don't want it raw.  I like it with more nutmeg, too.  Regardless of whether you change it up a little or not, it's good stuff. 

Spiced Chocolate Eggnog (from Martha Stewart Living)

2 Quarts whole milk (more if needed)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 vanilla bean -- pod with seeds scraped out
4 cinnamon sticks
12 egg yolks
5 oz bittersweet chocolate melted
3 oz milk chocolate melted
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 cups brandy (optional)
whole nutmeg
cayenne

Heat the milk, sugar, salt, vanilla beans and pod, and cinnamon sticks in large pot on med-hi, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture is heated through.  Take off heat and let stand 30 min. 

Prepare an ice-water bath.  Whisk yolks in a med. bowl until pale (about 2 min).  Whisk 1 cup of milk mixture into yolks in a slow, steady stream.  Whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk mixture.  Cook over med-hi heat, stirring constantly, until mixture registers 180 degrees (about 6 minutes).  Don't boil.

Take pot off heat, add melted chocolates (both) and stir until incorporated.  Throw out vanilla pod and cinnamon sticks.  Pour mixture into large bowl and set in ice-water bath. Let cool, stirring often.

Whisk cream until soft peaks form.  Pour cooled eggnog into a serving bowl and add brandy (if using).  Add more milk to eggnog if needed for consistency you want.  Top with whipped cream and grate nutmeg on top.  Sprinkle sparingly with cayenne and serve.

"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »
Carmel Eggnog****Good recipe for a no raw egg drink. :)

2 batches of your favorite vanilla pudding, only use twice as much thickening (cornstarch) and sucanat than they call for
1/2 qt. cream
1 gal. raw milk
nutmeg to taste

Make pudding. Be sure to stir constantly until it thickens to a slurping bubbling mass. After the butter is combined in the pudding, put pan into a sink filled with a bit of cold water. Let sit for a little. Combine cream and milk. While whisking, gently pour in warm (not hot) pudding. Sprinkle in some nutmeg, stir. Can be served eather now or colder later after refridgeration.

YoopreMama

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
Bumping...need to find one to try.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
:D  'Tis the season (we had our first frost this weekend)!  I ran across a recipe in my address book...maybe it's from WTM?

4 eggs
3 T. maple syrup
nutmeg
BLEND!

Kids and I just had this as a breakfast thanksgiving treat (I finally have eggs I can trust and yummy raw milk and cream).  It was a big hit!!!  Thanks Yooper!

this is my favorite, and it's your recipe!

YoopreMama

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
HA!   :D :D

We didn't have those ingredients, so I was looking for another.  ;)  I made one, but it was too thin.  Maybe I'll try the one w/ cooked eggs sometime.

We'll have our own eggs soon...just need to get that goat. 

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
Yooper, I use the recipe from "Farmer Boy" that I got from the Little House Cookbook.  All my ingredients are raw.  They leave a good layer of the whipped egg whites on the top, I fold all mine in.

6 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1 quart whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
nutmeg

Beat egg yolks and sugar til thoroughly blended.  Beat in the milk slowly, then stir in the cream.  Beat the egg whites til soft peaks form.  Carefully fold this into the milk mixture.  You can stir the nutmeg in with it, but then sprinkle the top with some also :)

For the ones that like, put a shot of bourbon, brandy or dark rum into a lowball glass, fill with eggnog, gently stir.  (That ain't from Little House!)

YoopreMama

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
Ahhh...now that's what I call egg nog!   8)

THANK YOU!   :-*

And, if I flub it, I'm a comin' there to make you teach me right.   ;D

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »
After already going through two cartons of the store bought eggnog, I tried to be healthy and make a homeade variety.  I basically just used a custard recipe only I didn't bake the final mixture in the oven.  I used two eggs per glass and then added raw milk, raw honey, vanilla, and acidophilus and mixed everything up.  It turned out amazing!  Even my brother who HATES eggs and raw milk liked it.  He doesn't know that one of my primary reasons for making it was to sneak the eggs/milk in him.  ;)

Anyway, I know that it was mentioned earlier that the acidophilus will eat up any salmonella from the eggs, but how far in advance do I have to add the acidophilus for it to completely eat up the salmonella?  Am I making any sense?  For example, I thought about making eggnog with acidophilus tonight and just storing it in the fridge until breakfast tomorrow so the acidophilus would have time to gorge itself on salmonella, but I don't want to have eggnog yogurt tomorrow.  :P  On the other hand, if I just mix in the acidophilus right after making the eggnog and right before serving, will the acidophilus have time to eat up the salmonella?  Also, I don't know if this would influence anything, but we do use free range eggs from some friends of ours.  I've heard those eggs are less prone to salmonella, but I don't know for sure.  Thanks so much for your help!

~Rachel

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:01 AM »

4 eggs
3 T. maple syrup
nutmeg
BLEND!

I just made this again only I had to substitue agave nectar for maple syrup because we were out. It was still yummy!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
Well... I caved in and bought Evan Williams Egg Nog from the liquor store.  Ummm, yeah.  It is really good.  I am going to have to try that recipe from the Little House Cookbook, though.  At least then I'll know it has good milk and eggs in it (not to mention the sweetener - who knows what is in Evan Williams?!)
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 09:07:14 AM »
We make homemade ice cream and put that in our egg nog.
The ice cream is egg free and then put the eggs in the nog!
MMM good.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
I just made egg nog using the Boxcar Children's recipe (beginning of the thread), which is similar to some other recipes on here, all of which have the problem of egg chunks floating in the finished nog. I solved it in my second batch by heating the milk and sugar,then putting a wand blender in the hot milk, (you want your milk hot enough to cook eggs, but watch that you don't melt the blender on the bottom of the pan!) and pouring the beaten eggs into the milk (near the blender so that they get sucked in before they cook).

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »
Just want to get the word out about a yummy raw egg nog smoothie our family loves. It's very filling and the guys stay full until the next meal comes around.  Basically, you just pick your favorite egg nog recipe and blend it all in the blender then add ice to your liking.  I use one that uses lot of eggs and whole raw milk.  We had this for lunch today!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:11:54 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2009, 01:19:56 PM »

1 egg
1 T honey
1 cup milk or milk and cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
dash nutmeg

Just put it in the blender, raw,  the honey makes it thicker.  It is even thicker if you use  more cream.  We have a cow, so I just don't skim it first.  In the summer I add a few ice cubes and it is a nice, quick, healthy, protine snack that cools everyone off. 

I should have read this first.  :P  Hey, enjoy the reminder.  I forget about favorites every once in awhile myself.
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 07:01:30 AM »
I just made egg nog using the Boxcar Children's recipe (beginning of the thread), which is similar to some other recipes on here, all of which have the problem of egg chunks floating in the finished nog. I solved it in my second batch by heating the milk and sugar,then putting a wand blender in the hot milk, (you want your milk hot enough to cook eggs, but watch that you don't melt the blender on the bottom of the pan!) and pouring the beaten eggs into the milk (near the blender so that they get sucked in before they cook).

We do something similar.  It is like making homemade pudding.
You heat the milk and sugar.  In a container we mix the eggs.
When your milk is hot pour a little bit in the bowl with the eggs in
it and mix.  Then pour the milk and eggs into the rest of the warm liquid
and stir.  Works good no cooked chunks.

Offline Melly Lane

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 07:11:51 AM »
The above recipe is really good although i perfer to add more nutmeg like around 1 to 1 1/2 tsp.

Melly Lane's daughter

Offline Heather9

• Learning
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
I am going to have to try one of these.  We have a lot of milk I am trying to use up before the next batch comes.