Author Topic: Coconut Oil: How, When, Where & Why to Use  (Read 300653 times)

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
Re: Coconut Oil: How, When, Where & Why to Use
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2006, 01:22:28 PM »
Extra virgin coconut oil is very good for you by itself, too! I put a big dollop of it in my smoothies. My toddlers and I share it & love it!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »
I had success using coconut oil to help heal stretch marks both during pregnancy and after birth. An ultrasound tech in the DR reccomended this when I was pregnant with my second and the stretch marks actually got better while my skin was stttretchhhing again ;D Not an instant cure by any means but it does help.

Have any of you tried sweet potato strips fried in coconut oil? Paint a mental picture of a hawaiian sunset on the beach with palm trees and a huge bonfire.... ::)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2006, 03:06:26 PM »
Sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil heal stretch marks in a hawaii next to a bon fire?   ;D :o Wow!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »
Sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil heal stretch marks in a hawaii next to a bon fire?   ;D :o Wow!!
poetic license ;)

Offline mama2three

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »
I have a coconut oil question -- somewhere I read (was it the Tropical Traditions site?) that coconut oil could actually help prevent sunburn.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I have already had one basal cell carcinoma removed, and just noticed 4 more spots that look questionable (2 are on my face! :-\).  I was thinking about buying some good quality c.o. and using it topically as an all-over body lotion. Somewhere I read that coconut oil could reverse skin damage.  Does anyone know anything about this?

btw, I have used coconut oil in bread, popcorn, smoothies, and donuts.  It made GREAT donuts.  I just used the Becker's bread recipe and made them into donut shapes and fried them in coconut oil in my iron skillet.  They were GREAT.  We dusted them with powdered sugar when we were done.  It was a fun treat.   My whole wheat bread is great with coconut oil too.  Again, I use the Becker's slightly sweet recipe and just sub coconut oil for the olive oil.   In smoothies, I just drop a dollup of c.o. in the blender.  It gives it a real tropical taste.

Regarding brands, I have tried Spectrum, Nutiva and Tropical Traditions.  So far I think TT has the best quality.  Nutiva has been good too but Spectrum was a real disappointment.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
I recently tried NOW brand, and now that I have had a chance to finish off the jar, it really tasted like coconutty soap to me.   I just purchased a different brand (for twice the price) at the local health food store.  Hopefully it will taste better.  The brand is "coconut pacific"

I was wondering, apart from buying it 16 oz at a time, what is the best bulk online price you have found?  I am going through a 16oz jar once every two weeks when I supplement for only myself....I am looking at this being a longterm thing. 

I am looking for Virgin Coconut oil for eating and Cold pressed minimally refined for cooking.  Any suggestions for bulk purchases?
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 05:02:01 PM »
I am looking for Virgin Coconut oil for eating and Cold pressed minimally refined for cooking.  Any suggestions for bulk purchases?

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1181.msg14388.html#msg14388
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2006, 06:13:47 AM »
Has anyone tried Mountain Rose Herbs' virgin coconut oil? I noticed their price is quite a bit less than other places I've shopped. Just wondering how it compares.

http://mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/coconut-virgin.php
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:50:04 PM by hedy »

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2006, 06:22:10 AM »
don't have the answer, but I'm sure glad you asked it, cause I was wondering the same thing! ;D

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2006, 06:56:10 AM »
WOW!!! I looked at the price and that is almost what I would pay for 32oz of my current coconut oil!  Maybe if someone emailed or called them they could give some information about why it is so much more inexpensive than the competition.

Things to ask, how long from harvesting until the oil is extracted....are any solvents used, is this the oil from the first press....etc. 

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2006, 09:44:27 AM »
I sent them the following email.  I will post their response once I get it.  Hope that it will be very helpful to us all!

"Good afternoon,
I was very excited to find your site, as I take coconut oil for thyroid support.  I noticed that the cost of your virgin coconut oil is significantly less than the prices of others selling virgin coconut oil.
I have read some of the quality information posted on your site, but had a few additional quesitons of my own.  First, are any solvents used to extract the oils from the coconut?  Is the oil extracted from copra or fresh dried coconut meat? 
The prices are just so good that it almost seems too good to be true, I want to make sure that I am still getting the highest quality possible.
Thank you in advance for the information!
Kristen"

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »
what is it about the coconut oil that supports the thyroid?

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2006, 03:18:09 PM »
Here is the response I got from the customer service department at Mountain Rose Herbs:

Dear Kristen

Thank you for contacting us here at Mountain Rose Herbs!

As you'll see from the 'learn more' link with the Unrefined coconut oil
listing here http://mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/coconut-virgin.php

Method Of Extraction   

Fresh, whole coconuts that are sound and ripe are shelled and then pared to remove the brown skin. The white meat is then milled to fine shreds and dried at a temperature of not more than 100 degrees for an average of 2 hours and 30 minutes.

After drying, the milled coconut is passed through a customized, cold process oil press where the oil is separated from the coconut at a controlled temperature of less than 100 degrees. The oil is collected in a receiving pan and pumped through a series of filter cloths, which results in a water clear coconut oil, known commercially as Virgin Coconut Oil.

The filtered virgin coconut oil is temporarily stored in a tank and made topass through a final filter to remove any detritus left over before it is packed into its final drum.

As far as our prices being lower, part of that is 'brilliant buying' and part is only selling it in 1 gal and larger quantities. A lot of expense goes into packaging 'retail' amounts.

I hope that helped to answer your question and do let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for your interest in our products and have a great day!

So, ladies (and gents) it looks like we may have a WINNER!!! If the oil and price are as good as they sound, I am excited!

Pennie, I will look up and link some information for you about thyroid and coconut oil.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2006, 03:25:16 PM »
Pennie, here is a good article from mercola that should explain coconut oil's benefits to the thyroid.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/nov/8/thyroid_health.htm

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2006, 03:43:12 AM »
I haven't tried the CO from Mountain Rose, but I have liked everything else I've gotten from them. They seem to be a very good company with high quality products.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2006, 06:11:40 AM »
Well if anyone gets any, make sure you post your opinions on it, how it looks, tastes, etc. My first try of coconut oil was an off-white jar of the Spectrum brand whose taste didn't really turn me on! Then I tried a jar of Wilderness Family Naturals and learned there is coconut oil, and there is coconut oil!

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
I use South Pacific Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

I have not found their company on the web, though.  But they are based in British Columbia, Canada.

Their CO is:
-Organic
-Non-GMO
-Cold Pressed
-Pure Extra Virgin
-62% MCT's
-Medium chain triglycerides (fatty acids)
-high in Lauric Acid
-Unrefined
-Non-hydrogenated
-Sweet aroma
-Delicious tasting

Their only ingredient is: Organic pure unrefined coconut oil

Here is their address:

PWO Management dba South Pacific "Coconut Company"
Richmond, BC
Canada
V7A 5E5

No phone number listed on package.

I buy this at my local health food store.

Honeybee
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2006, 07:34:39 AM »
what is the significance of graining CO?  I have garden of Life.  It stayed liquid in my cabinet expcept for at the very bottom and when I stirred it it was grainy.  Does that mean it's bad? I haven't had it very long.

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
What exactly are the health benefits of cocunut oil?  I recently found LouAna cocunut oil at Walmart, and I saw that it had 14 (or maybe it was 12) grams of saturated fat per serving!  (so, I didn't buy it) Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't too much saturated fat bad for you?
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline o2bhealthy

• Learning
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »
Not all saturated fats are alike nor does your body respond the same to all saturated fats. Read the book, The Miracles of Coconut Oil by Dr. Bruce Fife. This book goes into detail about all the benefits as well as the history, the use of it across the world, and why we don't have it in our products like we used to.

wildernessfamilynaturals.com is where I get mine, I get it in 5 gallon buckets that last me at least a year. I have only a family of 3, I use it as moistuizer, in bread, cooking, frying, on toast, as a first aide ointment, or whatever else I can think of. I have just eaten it as well, one can put in in their hot tea, just keep stirring it and it is hardly noticeable.

This site also has lots of informaiton about it, they also sell cococut water which most people think is the milk. We love it, great for babies, it used to be used in formula and I understand that in World War 2 it was used in i.v. bags when they ran out of other stuff because it is so close to our own blood.

I also wanted to share that one has to be careful with olive oil inregards to hight heat like stir frying, it turns into a transfat when you do that. Olive oil is great just don't use high heat, the coconut oil is just fine and as far as how long it lasts I am told it has at least a 2 year shelf life.

I have not researched some info my sister gave me on mercola's website about what others have talked about in regards to how a company processes their oils. I am told that what I have is actually fermented although one would not think so, no taste that would make you think so. I will say that there is a big difference between like SPectrum the first oil I tried and it is nothing like wilderness family naturals which is so white, buttery and such. I have had so many marvel at how nice it tastes spread on toast, they are always so surprised how mild it is.

To each his own, it isn't cheap. I will tell you though that I was part of a group in Chicago a year ago and we got 5 gallon buckets for only $170 which included the shared shiping. This was because we had it shipped to one address with a minimum of 10 buckets. Our group had 24! Anyway, I am no longer there so when I run out, I am not sure what I will do. I would encourage those interested to call either Tropical Traditions or Wilderness Family Traditions and ask about a wholesale account or what we did.  The later was very nice and so willing to work with you.

Heidi

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2006, 05:23:17 AM »
awww...I'm disappointed that Mountain rose is out of the stuff.  :(  I was excited, too!!

Jenn
Jenn :D

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »
I just got Nourishing traditions and Eat Fat, Lose Fat from the library and what a read!!  I was always told that coconut oil was terrible for you and now I am getting ready to order some.  My husband has suffered from severe dry skin and I think that this coconut oil and traditional foods will help out.  Read the books they are fascinating!!
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline scarlet_prairie

• Adept
  • Who blew down my house?
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »
Agreed :) Good books!!
Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thes 5:21

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »
coconut oil is so good. I put it in my kid's oatmeal every morning and use it in my pie crusts and make tortilla crisps with it. I've read that it has a lot of the same fat stuff that mommy milk has. It's just great :)

burlsgirl

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »
Hey y'all. I've been on a search for the properties of LouAna coconut oil. I use Nutiva for "eating", but I've been wondering about the cheap stuff for some frying and such. I came across this post on another board:

FOR ALL THOSE WITH QUESTIONS RE: LOUANA COCONUT OIL(SOLD AT WAL-MART) – I CALLED VENTURA FOODS (THE MAKER OF LOUANA)

The woman I spoke to informed me that it is NOT hydrogenated but it is refined, bleached and deodorized – and it is not cold-pressed.

Ok, so there's the info...now, what does that mean? I know it's not going to offer any health benefits, but will it present hazards? 

Share with me your wisdom!
Emily

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2006, 09:46:02 AM »
So is that what "refined" means for all coconut oil?  A neighbor has some Spectrum and it says "refined" on it (which I know is not raw) and I was wondering HOW refined.  Would it be right to assume that the spectrum is bleached, deodorized, and not cold pressed?

By the way, deodorized?  What does that mean in regard to oil?

Sorry for all the questions, the Spectrum is $3 cheaper and I guess now I know why.

That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »
I don't know anything about "deodorized", but everything else would make me think it's "neutral" food.  I use it in my cooking. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2006, 02:30:02 PM »
I know that refined is not necesarily bad for coconut oil. You wouldn't take refined coconut oil straight for the health benefits, but I have heard it is probably better for frying because it has a higher smoke point. Not sure about deodorized and bleached. My guess is that having your oil bleached and deodorized is not so good.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2006, 04:00:05 PM »
Why do they deodorize it? That's what I want to know. Don't they think people would like the coconut smell? Isn't that why some people buy it?

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2006, 04:29:03 PM »
Okay..I'm making the switch from Crisco oil, Canola oil..you name it oil to healthier options.  My question...what do I get?

I use oil in cooking for stuff like bread, cakes, brownies, pancakes..etc, you ladies know what I mean.  We also use it for frying and making popcorn, sauteeing, etc. etc.  I have no idea when to use the coconut oil or the red palm oil or the olive oil.  :'(

Okay gals, divulge your ancient chinese secrets to me and tell me what I should get, and how I should use it.  I'm a sad, sad person  :-\ unless the recipe calls for 'sesame oil' or 'peanut oil' or 'olive oil', I just use the old standby crisco or whatever. 

Can we come live with one of you guys for a month so Mom (me) can have some training???  ;D

Thanks - Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6