Author Topic: Constipation: Causes & Cures  (Read 57417 times)

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Constipation: Causes & Cures
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why im getting constipated again so bad. I thought this was over. :-[ I looked back at my food journal and noticed that at the time i was going every day i was taking my cayenne every day without fail and i also took 2 acidophilus everyday. Now i do take those things but only when i think about it so there may be days that i only take 1 or i may not take them at all. I know that cayenne is good for constipation. Is acidophiles also good for it?

I don't know if this will help you at all but I have struggled with constipation for as long as I can remember. I tried the cayenne, acidophilus, fiber,etc..... and nothing seemed to work consistently for long periods of time. I had some really good success with Concentrace, it is a mineral supplament. The thing that has cured my problem though is going gluten free. I started the GF diet for my 3yo dd because she has had the opposite problem all her life. The GF diet has cured her and since I wasn't doing the GF diet for me I had a hamburger bun (after a couple months GF) and was so constipated afterwards. I hadn't even realized how regular I had become until I had my little splurge. Now every time I have gluten the constipation returns. Needless to say we are staying GF. Anyhow, HTH!

B

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
I've read through this thread and gotten a few new ideas but want to throw something else in the mix here.

My almost 7yr old dd has been constipated from birth.  Last year the constipation had caused so much back up it gave her a kidney infection that went into her blood.  After determining she did not have urinary reflux, we determined that the chronic constipation was the culprit.  In order to get her to go daily she had to do all of this:

2 adult strength probiotics
1 tbls flax seed
TONS of water
8oz. of prune juice
3 kids strength probiotics

Then, she would go once a day.  However, if anything gets off in our schedule she stops again no matter what we do.  We all got sick two weeks ago and she stopped up and now she's got another kidney infection from it.   :-[  I am not using antibiotics, I am using mannose for the infections.

I had the doctor listen to her bowels awhile ago and he told me he had never heard anything like it.  She had almost no lower bowel function.  I'm assuming from so many years of not working.  Does anyone know how to restore peristalsis to the lower bowel?  Her stools are not hard, on the contrary they can be quite loose.  The problem is getting her lower bowel to push them out.  I am using the Smooth Move tea right now because I just want to get her cleaned out but I can't do that forever and it really gives her the runs which doesn't help with the whole peristalsis thing. 

She takes tons of probiotics now (more then what I wrote above), drinks plenty of water, and eats healthy (mostly GF and dairy free).  My ND said that just her going would fix the peristalsis but I can't seem to get her going again.   :'( :-\ :-[

I will talk to hub about the chiropractic.   Can anyone think of anything else that could cause nerve function not to be good in the lower bowel?  She's been like this since the day she was born.   :-[  Oh yeah, if she has a BM once every week or two on her own she's doing well.  That's how bad it is.  This is NOT healthy!

Thanks,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »
Shonda Parker talks a little about this in Naturally Healthy Pregnancy in people who have become dependent on enemas or laxatives.  She recommends taking yellow dock capsules before bed.  I believe she said to try the least number and and add another on every night until it works.  I would think it would be safe for a little girl, because it's not a purgative, and it's safe during pregnancy.  It helps me, but I don't know if it would work for your daughter if she has some kind of damage to her bowels.  It may help with the immediate problem of constipation though.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks, MG.  I'll add that to our arsenal.   I honestly don't know what mechanism causes peristalsis.  I assume it's nerve oriented which would bode for chiropractic.  I'll have to have God convince my hub though 'cuz he's not so sure about it.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »
I used yellowdock root during PG w/ success, based on Shonda's recommendation, too.  If I come across anything I'll let you know.  :(  Praying for you both. 
Some possibilities (searched under "how to restore peristalsis lower bowel"):  ???

http://www.jeannerose.net/articles/digestive_disorders.html (EO massage/aromatherapy)
http://mammaearth.com/herbal-formulas/colonclenz-a-/prod_3.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:24:03 PM by Yooper »

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:23 AM »
Can anyone think of anything else that could cause nerve function not to be good in the lower bowel?  She's been like this since the day she was born.   :-[  Oh yeah, if she has a BM once every week or two on her own she's doing well.  That's how bad it is.  This is NOT healthy!

Thanks,

patti

I have a suggestion that isn't exactly nutritional . . . Since your daughter has dealt with constipation for so long, could she have a *fear* of bowel movements?  The fear could be so ingrained that she doesn't even really recognize it as a fear.  I dealt with this in a smaller way in my ds.  The fear can be dealt with gently in the name of Jesus Christ.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2008, 02:45:20 AM »
Thanks, MG.  I'll add that to our arsenal.   I honestly don't know what mechanism causes peristalsis.  I assume it's nerve oriented which would bode for chiropractic.  I'll have to have God convince my hub though 'cuz he's not so sure about it.

patti
I think it's the vagus nerve.  I take EPO and Alpha Lipoic Acid to improve damage done to my vagus nerve and it has done wonders (particularly the ALA).  I have taken the ALA very regularly for 2 months, now, and am very impressed as I was experiencing lots of problems from autonomic neuropathy (one of them being dysfunctional peristalsis).  My guess is that it would also be good to make sure she gets plenty of good fats as these protect the nerves -- if this is the problem.  I take CLO among other things.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:10:02 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

YoopreMama

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2008, 02:56:50 AM »
I wondered about fear, too--not being primary, but developed over time...???

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2008, 03:06:49 AM »
Can anyone think of anything else that could cause nerve function not to be good in the lower bowel?  She's been like this since the day she was born.   :-[  Oh yeah, if she has a BM once every week or two on her own she's doing well.  That's how bad it is.  This is NOT healthy!

Thanks,

patti

I have a suggestion that isn't exactly nutritional . . . Since your daughter has dealt with constipation for so long, could she have a *fear* of bowel movements?  The fear could be so ingrained that she doesn't even really recognize it as a fear.  I dealt with this in a smaller way in my ds.  The fear can be dealt with gently in the name of Jesus Christ.

My sister had a fear like this when she was little. It started out as a problem, but alot of fear added to the mix, made it way worse, and almost created a double problem.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2008, 04:30:39 AM »

I honestly do not think this is it.  This kid fears NOTHING.  Which can be pretty scary when there's a weirdo nearby.   :o  She has no problem going potty when she needs to go.  It doesn't hurt or anything.  Like I said, she's pretty loose in terms of stools.  Since this was from day one of her life I would think fear wouldn't hit until she was potty training (which was late).  It's a thought, but probably not likely.  She pays no nevermind if she's not pooing.  Only daddy and I do.  We have explained to her that pooping will help keep her from getting kidney infections but that's about it.  Most of our conversations are out of ear shot of her. 

The thing that made me start to look at the peristalsis was the doctor telling me she hadn't almost no bowel sounds.  That made me realize that it wasn't what she was or was not eating or drinking, but something physical that we've got to heal. 

The vagus nerve stuff hits me because I wonder if it's something that can get out of whack during birth.  I had a very hard time giving birth to her - she was almost an emergency c-section.  I wonder if during the birth process it put her back out of alignment?   Just thinking out loud.  I'm praying and asking hub to let me take her to a chiro.  It helped with our  son and bedwetting.  Even if it helped a little bit here that would be progress.  So, maybe you ladies could pray God would change his heart on this?  Thanks.

Thanks for the links, Yooper!  I'll check them out.

Thanks, ladies.  This has me looking at other stuff.  Much appreciated.

patti

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2009, 09:20:55 AM »
I don't have constipation at all.  But I have been taking aloe vera juice for an ulcer and I have noticed that the days I take it 2-3x a day vs. the days I only take it once, I have like 5 bowel movements a day!! 
So, I think aloe vera juice(stomach formula with other herbs) does a great job of getting things "moving" down there. Would be easy for children to take(although it tastes nasty!)  ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Aloe-Vera-Juice-Stomach-Formula/dp/B0017TRJNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1233170395&sr=8-1

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »

I honestly do not think this is it.  This kid fears NOTHING.  Which can be pretty scary when there's a weirdo nearby.   :o  She has no problem going potty when she needs to go.  It doesn't hurt or anything.  Like I said, she's pretty loose in terms of stools.  Since this was from day one of her life I would think fear wouldn't hit until she was potty training (which was late).  It's a thought, but probably not likely.  She pays no nevermind if she's not pooing.  Only daddy and I do.  We have explained to her that pooping will help keep her from getting kidney infections but that's about it.  Most of our conversations are out of ear shot of her. 

The thing that made me start to look at the peristalsis was the doctor telling me she hadn't almost no bowel sounds.  That made me realize that it wasn't what she was or was not eating or drinking, but something physical that we've got to heal. 

The vagus nerve stuff hits me because I wonder if it's something that can get out of whack during birth.  I had a very hard time giving birth to her - she was almost an emergency c-section.  I wonder if during the birth process it put her back out of alignment?   Just thinking out loud.  I'm praying and asking hub to let me take her to a chiro.  It helped with our  son and bedwetting.  Even if it helped a little bit here that would be progress.  So, maybe you ladies could pray God would change his heart on this?  Thanks.

Thanks for the links, Yooper!  I'll check them out.

Thanks, ladies.  This has me looking at other stuff.  Much appreciated.

patti
I just read this thread and wondered if there was an update on your daughter's situation? HIO they make a berry aloe vera juice that is way easier to get down ;)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »
Hi Goatgirl,

Yep - I can give you an update.  A very thorough stool anaylsis by Genova Diagnostics showed by DD was not digesting ANYTHING.  Everything was sitting in her gut and putrefying, then going into her blood stream and out via her kidneys and liver.  She has been on Bio Gest (ox bile) for two weeks now any time she puts anything in her mouth and she has bowel movements daily.  At least once, usually twice.  No pain, no trouble, no gas, etc.  She finally feels full after meals and rarely needs snacks (I couldn't fill her up).  I don't understand how she could have continued to grow with not digesting anything - but she has.  She is tall and skinny for her age.  The stool test also showed she has a pathogen bacteria that the ND is still trying to figure out what to give her to get rid of it because it tested resistant to all the natural stuff they tested against it. 

So, praise the Lord, she's finally on the road to healing!  We are doing some blood work to see if there's a specific reason she is low in bile but we suspect it is genetic as everyone else in this house seems to have that problem too.  We are looking to start GAPS as soon as I get through the book to try and "reset" everyone's systems to see if it helps. 

patti

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »
Hi Goatgirl,

Yep - I can give you an update.  A very thorough stool anaylsis by Genova Diagnostics showed by DD was not digesting ANYTHING.  Everything was sitting in her gut and putrefying, then going into her blood stream and out via her kidneys and liver.  She has been on Bio Gest (ox bile) for two weeks now any time she puts anything in her mouth and she has bowel movements daily.  At least once, usually twice.  No pain, no trouble, no gas, etc.  She finally feels full after meals and rarely needs snacks (I couldn't fill her up).  I don't understand how she could have continued to grow with not digesting anything - but she has.  She is tall and skinny for her age.  The stool test also showed she has a pathogen bacteria that the ND is still trying to figure out what to give her to get rid of it because it tested resistant to all the natural stuff they tested against it. 

So, praise the Lord, she's finally on the road to healing!  We are doing some blood work to see if there's a specific reason she is low in bile but we suspect it is genetic as everyone else in this house seems to have that problem too.  We are looking to start GAPS as soon as I get through the book to try and "reset" everyone's systems to see if it helps. 

patti
I am so glad for you, I prayed for you and than I noticed the date of the post :-[ It is always unnerving when we don't know how to help our children. It is such a comfort and relief to know that He knows and will guide and give wisdom as He did for you :)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »
I am so glad for you, I prayed for you and than I noticed the date of the post :-[ It is always unnerving when we don't know how to help our children. It is such a comfort and relief to know that He knows and will guide and give wisdom as He did for you :)
[/quote]

Thank you for praying anyway because it's always needed!   :)  Especially when you're trying to help heal a little body.  We struggled for seven years looking for an answer with this DD and it took an incredible christian ND (after seeing 4 others) to help us.  We are so thankful to God for helping her.  It will take some time to heal her body completely but at least now she is well on her way there. 

patti

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2009, 03:59:21 AM »
May I ask what the ox bile does and where do you get it?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:21 AM »
May I ask what the ox bile does and where do you get it?

Ox bile is a digestive enzyme that is stronger then many regular enzymes.  Bio Gest is made by Thorne.  I buy it from my ND but I believe it can be purchased online.  I pay about $37 a bottle for 180 capsules. 

patti

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »

patti

I just finished reading this entire thread!  I am wondering if constipation is my problem right now.  I had a c section 11 days ago, and just weened off the narcotics about 4 days ago and the ibuprofen yesterday.  So, as of this morning, I've got pain in the front, back (rectal) and tailbone area.  It almost feels like the pressure of the baby!  But I had a section so I wasn't expecting to hurt in that area.  I've had 3 bm's since I got home from hospital a week ago, which is pretty good for me.  But the back area feels like I need to go again.  I took a glass of apple juice with 1 T. flax seed soaked in it, chewed the flax seeds.... if I don't go soon, I may try Senna.  I have cascara, but am afraid it will affect baby who's nursing.  Anyone have any pain like that after C section???  I thought maybe it's just b/c I've gotten off the meds, and am feeling the pain now, but I took two ibuprofen and it hasn't helped at all.  I did have bm just yesterday... though the stools have been hard probably due to the pain meds. 

About Ox Bile, it is one of the ingredients in Digestive Enzyme from www.beeyoutiful.com.  Part of our family started on it b/c of tummy related troubles.  I took it because I did good to go once a week or sometimes two weeks.  My stools were always large and hard, and hard to pass, stopped the toilet, the whole nine yards!  Exasperating!  Anyhow, since I've started DE, I've had like 3 or 4 a week.  We probably have other issues that need addressing... I know we do!  But my 9 yos has stopped complaining with a hurting tummy after supper, my 12 yod who's had reflux for years, no longer complains, and my dh who's had Crohn's (and is cured of b/c of the Lord and chiropractic, we believe) takes it to help alleviate tummy troubles after supper as well.  I am curious as to what ox bile exactly is... it sounds um,,.... interesting.  But it helps us!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2009, 02:51:17 PM »
Ox bile is bovine bile - ya' know the stuff produced by the liver to help digest food. Somewhere in this thread is a post with the ingredients list for the NOW brand enzymes --they are the same as the Beautiful enzymes but less expensive.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline 5 kidos

• Learning
    • Linda Kimble
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
Hi Goatgirl,

patti

Constipation is something that has always been a problem on my side of the family.  At the moment I have a 6 yr old Dd who is having a terrible time!! I have been reading tons trying to figure this out. I appreciate your updating this thread as you may have provided me with the answer I need. I have a few questions. I'm hoping that you or someone can answer them....

1. How would I get a 6 yr old to swallow ox bile? (We bought some once from Beeyoutiful. They were in tablet form. I didn't know if they would do her any good if I mashed them up for her to eat.)

2. How would I go about figuring out about how much to give her?

3. Which brand do you or others recommend?

Thank you ahead of time for any information. This has been very difficult and frustrating!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

Constipation is something that has always been a problem on my side of the family.  At the moment I have a 6 yr old Dd who is having a terrible time!! I have been reading tons trying to figure this out. I appreciate your updating this thread as you may have provided me with the answer I need. I have a few questions. I'm hoping that you or someone can answer them....

1. How would I get a 6 yr old to swallow ox bile? (We bought some once from Beeyoutiful. They were in tablet form. I didn't know if they would do her any good if I mashed them up for her to eat.)

We used a chart on the wall at the dinner area.  When she swallowed the capsules at every meal for one month we took her to Toys R Us.  Bribery?  Yes!  But her health depended on it.  She was younger then your DD when we did it so it can be done.  We started by putting the capsule on a tbls of applesauce and trying to have her swallow it all at once. 

2. How would I go about figuring out about how much to give her?  One capsule per meal.

3. Which brand do you or others recommend? 

We far prefer BioGest by Thorne.  It's been very good for everyone I know that's tried it and we go through a lot of it here.  I buy mine at www.pureformulas.com because they always send two 10% coupons with the order for future orders and shipping is free.

Thank you ahead of time for any information. This has been very difficult and frustrating!

Offline 5 kidos

• Learning
    • Linda Kimble
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:33 PM »
Thank you very much! I will look into ordering some soon.

Offline 5 kidos

• Learning
    • Linda Kimble
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »
I have an update with a question.

We bought the Bio-Gest. She is doing amazingly well at swallowing those "horse pills!"  :)  Just goes to show that God gives each of us what we need when we need it! We initially had her take one pill per meal, but that wasn't enough. She was still having gas pains and constipation. Then it "clicked" I was thinking she was having a problem with starch, but it's the protein that is bothering her. So, for every meal that has more protein in it I am having her take two pills. This has relived the gas pains, but not entirely and she is still mildly constipated.

I had forgotten that we had a stool analysest done on her about 2 years ago. I contacted the doctor and he confirmed that the test showed she had " meat fibers which did indicate lower enzyme function. Taking those enzymes is great especially if you are seeing the symptoms improve as well."

My question .... is it safe to give her two pills at every meal? From what I have read it should be fine. Just wondering if this is others understanding as well. I can e-mail our doctor and ask him. However, at the moment money is tight.  So, I would prefer to avoid this if possible.

Thank you so much for helping me help my child!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:28:40 PM by 5 kidos »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
Yes.  Two at every meal is fine.  My boy had to do that for years.  He just takes one twice a day now.  As her body heals it will begin to produce enough of it's own enzymes and you'll be able to cut back.  You might compare the BioGest to the NOW Super Enzymes.  I saw them for the first time today and they had the oxbile in them which is really key.  I did not have the BioGest with me so I couldn't compare amounts but it might be worth checking and if it's close the NOW is much cheaper!

Offline 5 kidos

• Learning
    • Linda Kimble
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Great! Thank you. I have now upped her to the two tablets at every meal. I really think this will take care of those last complaints. :) That is encouraging to hear that she will not have to live on these forever!

I looked around and finally found the info. on NOW Super Enzymes here http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF099/ItemDetail  I'm looking at them both and as far as the ox bile goes Now looks good, but in comparing the rest of the ingredients ..... I'm at a total loss. I would just have to try them and see if they worked. Someone did say that they come in both capsule and tablet. So, when ordering be carful which you buy because the capsule is easier to swallow. What are your thought between the two products?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2012, 02:59:14 AM »
Great! Thank you. I have now upped her to the two tablets at every meal. I really think this will take care of those last complaints. :) That is encouraging to hear that she will not have to live on these forever!

I looked around and finally found the info. on NOW Super Enzymes here http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF099/ItemDetail  I'm looking at them both and as far as the ox bile goes Now looks good, but in comparing the rest of the ingredients ..... I'm at a total loss. I would just have to try them and see if they worked. Someone did say that they come in both capsule and tablet. So, when ordering be carful which you buy because the capsule is easier to swallow. What are your thought between the two products?

The actual enzymes themselves look good!  They are strong enough to do the job.  *If* you have a person prone to food allergies, this is NOT a good alternative.  The reason why is pineapple is highly allergenic for people with food allergies and taking it in 6 capsules a day would very likely create a new allergy for them.  So as long as food allergies are not an issue then this is a good alternative.  I will probably stick with the BioGest because we are healing from 40+ food allergies and I don't want to antagonize the process. 

HTH

patti

Offline 5 kidos

• Learning
    • Linda Kimble
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2012, 04:39:07 AM »

Yes, that was very helpful! Thank you. I can see why you guys would want to stay with the BioGest. Our 6 yr old daughter for the most part seems to be fine concern food allergies, but there is something odd going on (I am assuming gluten intolerance)...so for now I'll keep her on them and then at some point in time I will probably switch her to something else.

When you said that " pineapple is highly allergenic for people with food allergies." I am assuming you were talking Bromelain. If that was what you meant...then I'm a bit confused. In looking around I can only find good comments about Bromelain. However, I may not have enough information to look this up properly. Would you mind explaining?

Thank you for all your help!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:21:40 AM by 5 kidos »