Author Topic: Constipation: Causes & Cures  (Read 56906 times)

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
Re: Constipation: Causes & Cures
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
I'd say there's definitely undigested food... :-\ Interesting.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »
CNM2B,
I'm just curious as to how much calcium you may be taking. Calcium tends to bind you up, magnesium relaxes. Try bumping up a magnesium intake so that it is equal to your calcium intake (1:1 ratio)  and see if that helps. I know it certainly helped me.

HTH!
MS
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

YoopreMama

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 09:50:01 PM »
I didn't think about doing a gall bladder flush - is that the same as the liver flush??
    I was interested in the liver flush but daunted by BeeyoutifulGirl's multiple flushes.... I would be afraid to get started for fear that I'd have to do it multiple times for success....And I feel like the salt and oil and stuff is kinda invasive, almost...

Yes, the gall bladder/liver flush are the same.  I did one a couple of weeks ago w/ grapefruit juice and it wasn't bad at all.  Granted I threw up in the night, but I think it was due to chugging the oil stuff too fast (it was like pop!).  I did pass some green stones, still.

Offline ILoveGodsWisdom

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »
I do know that grains irritate the lining of the colon and can cause problems if you already have a problem there.  I lot of people show signs of improvement when they cut out grains altogether. 

I know when I am on more grains I tend to feel more blocked up (even though I only eat wholesome grains, ie home made stone ground bread etc).  Cutting out grains and adding in more veggies and fruits (preferably raw) does help some people a lot.

It sounds like you have a serious blockage.
Passport type shot of me and my 4 children

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2007, 04:08:15 AM »
I do know that grains irritate the lining of the colon and can cause problems if you already have a problem there.  I lot of people show signs of improvement when they cut out grains altogether. 

I know when I am on more grains I tend to feel more blocked up (even though I only eat wholesome grains, ie home made stone ground bread etc).  Cutting out grains and adding in more veggies and fruits (preferably raw) does help some people a lot.

It sounds like you have a serious blockage.

Yep. My son (2.5 yrs) has been complex carb free (grains, legumes, starches) for a week & his poo is FINALLY looking normal for the first time since infancy. I previously had started him on baby cereal from 6 months on and had given him oatmeal every morning for bk, and ate alot of other carbs as well. Now his eczema is finally clearing up and his constipation is no more!!  BOO carbs! & we majorly upped his healthy fats as well.

Here's a fun cure. I could not get him to go, so I sat him on the pot & tried to make him laugh by saying funny things. Sure nuf, as soon as he started laughing hysterically he started pooping.  Something about toning those tummy muscles?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:40:38 PM by likemanywaters »
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2007, 05:26:18 AM »
Well, I am following the advice of someone here....Doing double dose YA and TTU and totally cutting out sugar and flour and most grains for 5 days. (After that I will modify to a lower dose of YA and add in more whole grains) I am still eating raw (soaked) or sometimes cooked rolled oats or barley at breakfast time. I am also doing a lot of good oils - supplementing with EPO, and putting flax oil/olive oil in food. Eating a lot of raw nuts, too in addition to the veggies and meat.

I feel SOOOOOOOO AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like I've been run over by a semi truck!! Either I'm in serious detox, or I've got mono. I just ache all over and feel tired all the time. When I go to bed, however, I can't get comfortable because I'm just so sore... My constipation is sometimes better, sometimes worse. Amazingly, I'm not craving too badly all the grains/sugars/flours (my diet wasn't that full of them in the first place). I just feel halfway dead!!

My diet yesterday, for example, included:
breakfast: soaked oats (1/2 cup serving or less) whole milk yogurt, raw walnuts and flax oil
lunch: unsweetened peanut butter and celery, and more walnuts (couldn't think of anything else that was quick to bring to school!!)
dinner: chicken cooked with carrots, onions and peas, and more celery (the only green veggie in the house right now!)
I also drink at least 2 qts of water daily, and at least twice a day put ACV or lemon/lime juice in it (when I wake up, and before I go to sleep)

Am I just missing the energy from the whole grains that I usually eat? Is five days long enough before adding a second/third daily serving of grains in? My busy lifestyle (nursing school!) can't handle this exhaustion too long...........

Today I'm planning to have some sweet potatoes, that sounds really good and I've heard they're OK for yeast free diets - Does that sound right?

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2007, 07:25:14 AM »
bump

YoopreMama

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2007, 09:38:45 AM »
Sounds like detox to me!   :(

Are you getting enough protein for energy?

YoopreMama

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 07:46:32 AM »
Saw something I had never heard of before in Duke's Green Pharmacy last night...almost compelled me to get out of bed and post it so I wouldn't forget!   ::)

Under "Constipation" (p. 141):
Tea is rich in tannins, which is one reason that it is recommended as a treatment for diarrhea.  Tannins help bind stools and hold back bowel movements"!

I never knew this!  Anyone else know/hear of this?  Good grief, that alone could be my problem, w/ the tea I drink!   :o

Is this just herbal or black, now?   ???

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2007, 06:54:54 AM »
CNM2B, how are you doing? BTW, I just saw these new posts & thought the same thing as YooperMama. More animal protein & animal fats might help?  Like switching to bacon & eggs for breakfast! Canned sardines or salmon (high in Omega3's too!) for snacks. A big juicy ribeye for dinner.  ;D OH, & what has also really helped my son with constipation is BLUEBERRIES. Also hot tea or coffee always can make me go...
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

YoopreMama

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2007, 07:37:11 AM »
Saw something I had never heard of before in Duke's Green Pharmacy last night...
Tea is rich in tannins, which is one reason that it is recommended as a treatment for diarrhea.  Tannins help bind stools and hold back bowel movements"!

Is this just herbal or black, now?   ???

To answer my own question, I believe it is just the black tea. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2007, 09:17:01 AM »
Saw something I had never heard of before in Duke's Green Pharmacy last night...

Is this just herbal or black, now?   ???

To answer my own question, I believe it is just the black tea. 

Tannins are astringent,bitter-tasting plant polyphenols that bind and precipitate proteins. The term tannin refers to the use of tannins in tanning animal hides into leather; however, the term is widely applied to any large polyphenolic compound containing sufficient hydroxyls and other suitable groups (such as carboxyls) to form strong complexes with proteins and other macromolecules...

Foods with tannins

Tea

The tea plant (Camellia sinensis) is an example of a plant said to have a naturally high tannin content. When any type of tea leaf is steeped in hot water it brews a "tart" (astringent) flavor that is characteristic of tannins. This is due to the catechins and other flavonoids. Tea "tannins" are chemically distinct from other types of plant tannins such as tannic acid[2] and tea extracts have been reported to contain no tannin[3].

Wine

Tannins (mainly condensed tannins) are also found in wine, particularly red wine. Tannins in wine can come from many sources and the tactile properties differ depending on the source. Tannins in grape skins and seeds (the latter being especially harsh) tend to be more noticeable in red wines, which are fermented while in contact with the skins and seeds. Tannins extracted from grapes are condensed tannins, which are polymers of procyanidin monomers. Hydrolysable tannins are extracted from the oak wood the wine is aged in. Hydrolysable tannins are more easily oxidised than condensed tannins.

Modern winemakers take great care to minimize undesirable tannins from seeds by crushing grapes gently to extract their juice. Pressing the grapes results in press wine which is more tannic and might be kept separately. Wines can also take on tannins if matured in oak or wood casks with a high tannin content. Tannins play an important role in preventing oxidation in aging wine and appear to polymerize and make up a major portion of the sediment in wine.

Recently, a study in wine production and consumption has shown that tannins in the form of procyanidins, have a beneficial effect on vascular health. The study showed that tannins suppressed production of the peptide responsible for hardening arteries. To support their findings, the study also points out that wines from the regions of southwest France and Sardinia are particularly rich in procyanidins, and that these regions also produce populations with longer life spans.[4]

Pomegranates

Pomegranates contain a diverse array of tannins, particularly hydrolysable tannins. The most abundant of pomegranate tannins are called punicalagins. Punicalagins have a molecular weight of 1038 and are the largest molecule found intact in rat plasma after oral ingestion[5] and were found to show no toxic effects in rats who were given a 6% diet of punicalagins for 37 days.[6]. Punicalagins are also found to be the major component responsible for pomegranate juice's antioxidant and health benefits [7]

Several dietary supplements and nutritional ingredients are available that contain extracts of whole pomegranate and/or are standardized to punicalagins, the marker compound of pomegranate. Extracts of pomegranate are also Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the United States Food and Drug Administration. It has been recommended to look for pomegranate ingredients that mimic the polyphenol ratio of the fruit, as potent synergistic effects have been observed in 'natural spectrum' extracts, especially pomegranate concentrate normalized to punicalagins.[8]

Persimmons

Some persimmons are highly astringent and therefore inedible when they are not extremely ripe (specifically the Korean, American, and Hachiya or Japanese). This is due to the high level of tannins, and if eaten by humans (and many other animals), the mouth will become completely dry, yet the saliva glands will continue to secrete saliva which cannot affect the tannin-laced food.

Berries

Most berries, such as cranberries[9] strawberries and blueberries,[10] contain both hydrolyzable and condensed tannins...

from Wikipedia
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
Whoa!  Thanks, HB!  So in other words, wine is good for diarrhea? ;)

I'm surprised about the berries...

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
I was wondering, in regards to being constipated, what people thought of doing "step 1" of the Master Cleanse?  (Drink senna tea before bed then do the salt water flush.)  Would there be any problem with that?  It sure seems to get things moving!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline my3kidsmom

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »
To clean you out in a hurry, let your kefir sit an extra couple of days. I have battled my whole life with constipation, and this past week I made my Kefir, and was supposed to harvest it on Tuesday. We ended up going away and didn't come back until today (48 hours later). I saw my kefir on the counter and told my husband, oh no, now I will have to throw it away. I smelled it and didn't think it smelled real great, but before I tossed it I decided to try it. It didn't taste any different really, and so I drank a whole 16 oz glass of it. Wow, talk about results. I only drank it because I didn't want to waste it, but it really affected me, kind of to much. I used the bathroom at least 5 times in the last 5 hours. Normally once a day is pretty average for me. It kind of tore me up though. I wondered if it was actually unhealthy to drink it like that, or just because it had cultured longer, it was alot more potent. Oh well now I know a good fix if I ever need one. ;D

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »
I tried the aloe vera juice for constipation but didn't see any change. Maybe the kind i bought wasn't good. It sure was cheap. Anyone know a good brand to use? Mine was Lilly of the desert.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2007, 05:14:50 AM »
I tried the aloe vera juice for constipation but didn't see any change. Maybe the kind i bought wasn't good. It sure was cheap. Anyone know a good brand to use? Mine was Lilly of the desert.

Some suggestions from my midwife were Liquid calcium/ Magnesium in a double dose and dandilion root tincture.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2007, 05:33:47 AM »
I used magnasium alone with good results for my son who had the dehydration problems.  He's 11 and got 150 mg of magnesuim citrate 3-4 times a day.  Worked in about 48 hours at most.  But if you want something faster, we used Milk of Magnesia with the same results - only faster.  It is my understanding that the main practical difference between the 2 methods is the speed of absorbtion.  The magnesium was a capsule, and the Milk of Mag is a liquid.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
Haven't been on here in a while.... to update: I'm drinking dandilion tea every day, watching grains and sugars but not totally cutting them out, taking vit. D and EPO now, still take YA - only 2/day, still take TTU - 4/day, still take Magnesium..... I am taking cranberry to combat high levels of Klebsiella Pneumonae that were found in a recent stool culture. My levels of Lactobacillus were very low, so I'm hoping to get those up, but am not sure how. Constipation symptoms continue... sometimes drastically better, sometimes worse. I don't do a lot of animal fats and protein (pretty much stuck on chicken, turkey and fish - have at least one serving of one every day) because my family doesn't eat that way and I don't want to have to be different.... And I would feel like I needed to make sure it was organic - which could get expensive. I do a lot of good fats from vegetable sources.... Olive oil, peanut butter, almond butter, coconut oil, EPO, Vit. D
I have some other recent threads around here but don't know how to link them....!

CNM2B, how are you doing? BTW, I just saw these new posts & thought the same thing as YooperMama. More animal protein & animal fats might help?  Like switching to bacon & eggs for breakfast! Canned sardines or salmon (high in Omega3's too!) for snacks. A big juicy ribeye for dinner.  ;D OH, & what has also really helped my son with constipation is BLUEBERRIES. Also hot tea or coffee always can make me go...

Offline WarDawg

• Learning
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »
You can have an endless list of remedies that may or may not work. 

All you need is a well-balanced diet and keep yourself from stressing out.  What does this mean?!   It means that the constipation that you are suffering through is due to your emotions.  This is why a serious mental breakdown causes MOF(Mass Organ Failure-- your colon is the first to get affected). 

So, keep yourself calm and stress free.  FYI, you do not need to take any stupid supplements because they will only hurt you by trading your ailments for the worse and the companies can still profit from your suffering.

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »
I read through this whole thread and you all shared a lot of good ideas. I have a kind of unusual thing. We went on a trip about a month back and I usually have problems with constipation on trips (eating different, sleeping different, etc) so my husband got me some cascara sagrada pills and we drank a ton of water. Well, I didn't have any problems. But, when we got home and I stopped taking the cascara, I started not going. Then, when I didn't go a couple days, I'd take some cascara again and I'd go 3-5 times in a day. But, then the cycle would start again. I'd only go if I took some cascara. This is unusual for me as I usually don't have a problem since we eat lots of salad, drink kombucha and exercise. My husband said to stop taking the cascara. So I did. Since then, it's been 2 days and I've been stopped up. He had me take 1 cup of olive oil last night. I've drunk spinach juice, taken cayenne, drank water and kombucha, taken slippery elm, and we even walked/jogged 4 1/2 miles the other day. Nothing. I'm totally confused. Why would things that normally work suddenly stop working? Any ideas?

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2007, 02:55:54 PM »
I read through this whole thread and you all shared a lot of good ideas. I have a kind of unusual thing. We went on a trip about a month back and I usually have problems with constipation on trips (eating different, sleeping different, etc) so my husband got me some cascara sagrada pills and we drank a ton of water. Well, I didn't have any problems. But, when we got home and I stopped taking the cascara, I started not going. Then, when I didn't go a couple days, I'd take some cascara again and I'd go 3-5 times in a day. But, then the cycle would start again. I'd only go if I took some cascara. This is unusual for me as I usually don't have a problem since we eat lots of salad, drink kombucha and exercise. My husband said to stop taking the cascara. So I did. Since then, it's been 2 days and I've been stopped up. He had me take 1 cup of olive oil last night. I've drunk spinach juice, taken cayenne, drank water and kombucha, taken slippery elm, and we even walked/jogged 4 1/2 miles the other day. Nothing. I'm totally confused. Why would things that normally work suddenly stop working? Any ideas?
I have an article on this herb here:
http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/cascara-sagrada.html
There are so many variables that it is difficult to guess what is causing this response as Cascara Sagrada is not habit forming and gentle even for use during pregnancy. I would guess that your body is low in one of the minerals supplied by the herb and when it is removed, you are unable to reproduce regular bowel movements  ??? Or, it could be difficulty with the production of digestive fluids released by the liver, pancreas and lower colon. Cascara stimulates the release of these juices. Just a guess, but I wonder if you aren't low in magnesium?
Looks like you may need to troubleshoot your diet for sources of things that could deplete your body of its reserves or gaps in nutrition? Just brain storming here.

Let us know what you find.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
Good brainstorming SC. For my son, I've always wondered when he gets stopped up, is it because I fed him something he shouldn't have, or too much food, OR something his body really needs so his body slows down things in there to get the most of it possible. :( How can you tell the difference? I've actually wanted to try that herb with him but haven't yet.

Offline cowgirl4Christ

• Learning
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2007, 07:11:29 AM »
I would definitly suggest the master cleanse. That will clean you out like nothing else. But, if she doesn't want to do something that dramatic, she could drink a natural laxative tea with senna in it to at least get her bowels moving and from there make sure she gets lots of fiber and vegetables. I have another friend with that problem and she's a very healthy eater. I'm talking soaking her grains and lots of fermented food, so i'm not sure why the problem, maybe someone else has better suggestions.
What is a natural laxative tea and can you get it from bulkherbstore.com?? And the senna?? Please let me know asap!!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »
 I drank a tea callled Smooth Moves. Worked great and had senna in it. It's pretty common, your health food store should have it.

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2008, 06:55:26 PM »
 I started taking a mulit vit like supermom 6 weeks ago.  THe only other change in diet was raw milk.  My husband started the vit 2 weeks ago.  He thinks the vit is causing constipation.  I did not see the connection but think it is doing the same to me.  I am not regular like I used to be.  Why would a vit cause constipation and is there something wrong inside that we need to be considering?  Thank you for your help.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2008, 03:56:18 AM »
  Personally, I can't take any vit with iron in it. It will constipate me, so that would include Supermom.  ???
  I don't know why, but maybe that's your problem too.
I do get a multi vit without iron and it doesn't bother me.

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2008, 04:28:27 AM »
I am sorry, I forgot to put in my post that the vitamin I take does
not contain iron in it.  That is why I can't figure out why it would constipate us. 

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2008, 05:33:11 AM »
Something that has helped me a lot is cayenne. I take two low heat cayenne pills every morning along with my supermom vitamins, cinnamon pills, fish oil and vit E. I think the supermoms and they ceyanne are whats doing the trick though...oh and drinking 10 cups of water a day. Then in the mornings i have a cup of coffee and it always hits me withing like 30 minutes. :-[ Sorry for the TMI. :D

I have been constipated my whole life. Once when i was in my early 20's (im almost 30 now) i went for 11 days without having a BM. :o

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why im getting constipated again so bad. I thought this was over. :-[ I looked back at my food journal and noticed that at the time i was going every day i was taking my cayenne every day without fail and i also took 2 acidophilus everyday. Now i do take those things but only when i think about it so there may be days that i only take 1 or i may not take them at all. I know that cayenne is good for constipation. Is acidophiles also good for it?