Author Topic: Constipation: Causes & Cures  (Read 57399 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Constipation: Causes & Cures
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 09:13:45 AM »
Dried fruit like apricots and plums (prunes) are easy to eat/swallow/administer and not too expensive.  I suffered from the C word a few weeks back and saw relief when I drank undiluted apple juice (we usually drink everything watered down).  We also started to eat a lot of raisins, too.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline running free

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 11:23:41 AM »
I posted this under Natural health also and would like replies on how to avoid constipation and the bad side effects of being constipated from the holistic community (you all that read these messages). :D

Drink lots of water!  Eat fiber-y foods!  Drink lots of water! :D

A safe/easy remedy that works for us:

Put two tablespoons of flaxseed (ground or unground) and fill the cup with water.  Let sit for 10 minutes so the seeds get soft and jelly-like.

Drink up!  If using unground seeds, chew before swallowing - they should be soft.  Oops instead of saying unground, I could have just said "whole".  lol.

hope this helps  :)
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair - Relient K

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 11:37:09 AM »
Apple juice does the trick for me - I mean as raw as you can get it - undiluted apple juice/cider with nothing added to it!  My grandpa has a cider press and an orchard, so we get as much of this as we can drink and keep in the freezer every year.  If I drink more than one small glass in a day, I have to "go" a whole lot!   :-[  I would think you could do much the same on a smaller scale with a juicer.

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
1 quart of spring water with about 1/2 t of sea salt does the trick for me. Drink it all at once.

Offline herbnurse

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 05:10:13 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Now if we could get nursing homes to use applejuice, flaxseed, and castor oil for all the residents they would all be better off.

Is there any truth to what I heard about toxins in the colon making you sick? Anyone care to comment?
Eph. 4;29

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 05:15:53 AM »
For one of my little boys that used to constantly deal with that  the cure was mandarin oranges......sounds silly, but he loved them and could eat a whole can of them if you would let him.  We found out kind of by accident.  But if he would be having some trouble I would just sit him down in his high chair and dump a bunch in front of him.  It was one of the easier medications I have ever had to give. ;D
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 06:45:31 PM »
I have a quick question???Will tummy tuneup help with constipation?  I have a sister in-law that has a hard time with constipation.  Her Mother started her out one laxatives and sup. at an early age and it's kind of like her body doesn't know how to work right.  I knew it could help with diarhea but can it help with constipation?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »
I have a quick question???Will tummy tuneup help with constipation?  I have a sister in-law that has a hard time with constipation.  Her Mother started her out one laxatives and sup. at an early age and it's kind of like her body doesn't know how to work right.  I knew it could help with diarhea but can it help with constipation?
Absolutely, but depending on what's causing the constipation, it might be wiser to look to the cause.  Regardless of the cause; however, Tummy Tuneup is good for everyone's overall intestinal health.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
I spoke to an older gentleman one time who struggled with chronic constipation.  He was ordering 8 bottles of Original Blend Tummy Tune Up at one time and told me that it was the only thing he had found that helped with it.   :)

Adding anything with extra "good" bacteria to his diet will be helpful in restoring regularity along with of course plenty of fruit/fiber/water. 
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 05:48:38 AM »
Thanks a lot ladies.  I'll give her a handful of mine to try out.  I feel so bad for her...she'll go over a week at a time without haveing a bowl movement.  How many is it okay to take in a day??

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2007, 07:54:19 AM »
WOW! It has been so long. I need some help. I am sure it is already on here. But I am kind of in a hurry.
 I just found out that my grandmother-in-law (say that three times!!!) She is having trouble going #2. She confided in me that she has to literally pick it out.
 She is like 80. She used to have IBS but now she has constipation.
 She should have been dead many times over. She has asthma, diabetes, and has a history of really bad yeast infections. BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM!! She is on oxygen and is feisty!!! AND Loves the Lord.
 If your born again she will convince you that you need to  be again. (LOL SO CUTE) I told her that I would see what I could find to help her out.
  Oh ya, she also complains of heart burn. I am going to assume that it is from back up in the tummy.

Here is what I have come up with....
 1)  Smooth move tea. Not sure  if this will help really hard poo.
 2) Tummy Tune up. I know this will help with the yeast... but she needs both a cleans and a laxative. (she refuses to use over the counter lax.)
 3) Psyllium   Not sure if it would be safe for such an old lady. I understand you have to drink lots of water and use it with a laxative. I am concerned to mix Smooth Move and Psyllium together.

I would like to get her to first start with raw milk but I don't see that happening. Remember I said she is feisty!!!   

HELP!!! I know she don't have long... and I don't want to see her suffer. But on the other hand I don't want to kill her either.  She is such a wonderful lady. I love here to bits!!!
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 08:22:55 AM »
She has asthma, diabetes, and has a history of really bad yeast infections. BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM!! She is on oxygen and is feisty!!! AND Loves the Lord.
She may have a plethera of problems.  Diabetes is an autoimmune disease generally assocaited with candida overgrowth, leaky gut syndrome and low (or wrong) fat diets.  Asthma, can be related to leaky gut and candida as well, but may also be related to homogenized milk.  Yeast infections are a definate indicator here, I see her needing to treat for Candida and Leaky Gut Syndrome for sure.  Most of the guidelines laid out for this should help her other symptoms as well.

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 12:11:25 PM »
Hi everyone, I know there's a "causes and cures" thread out there for constipation, but what I was hoping to get at in this thread was:
    Is there anybody who has struggled with longterm, chronic constipation - who has cured themselves to the point that they don't have to take any herbs or anything?
    I'd love to hear what worked for you!!
I've struggled with this for years - it's been so severe that I'd have to take 12 capsules of cascara sagrada (yeah, I know - yikes!!!) just to get my digestive system to move. Over the course of years, I've done dietary changes, done a colon cleanse, etc, and now I'm down to taking 4 caps daily. Some days I need less - and what seems to help is a parasite/yeast cleansing combo. I just started taking Yeast Assassin, and I take 2 TTU originals daily. My diet is high in fiber, and I drink lots of water. I don't do much sugar or refined grains. I don't eat fruit hardly ever - it makes my stomach bloat, especially if I don't eat it on an absolutely empty tummy. I really am a pretty healthy person, I think... But I really, really want to get rid of the chronic constipation I'm stuck with here!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »
Yes and I treated for candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »
Hi CNM2B,
I know what you are going through!!  I dealt with this problem for years.  Nothing seemed to help me.  And I mean nothing!!  I one had an endoscopy and they found 3 beeding ulcers. They were believed to be causing the problem - but I knew they were not THE problem.  A year after they were treated I still had the same problems and felt no different.  I was in real pain on a daily basis and constantly felt nauseous.
Part way through my first pregnancy everything seemed to sort itself out.  I have been fine ever since and my daughter is now almost 6 years old.  My only theory is that with the baby growing and moving things around that something may have shifted.  Maybe there was some sort of kink or twist in the intestines or colon which got straightened out.  I don't know.  When I was suffering with this I wanted to have a colonoscopy done to see if there was anything wrong in there.  The doctor would never do it though. I'm thankful having a baby fixed it.  I know this is not very helpful to you.  But I wanted you to know that someone who did suffer severely is over it...so there is hope.
Stacy

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »
Wow, that is really interesting, thanks for posting. I've only ever heard of constipation getting worse during pregnancy. So what I need to do is have a baby! Hahaha...  That won't work until God brings about some rather significant things... ie: marriage.
   I am really glad to hear you're better now - what a blessing after so many years! I'll get there, too, one of these days.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 03:21:58 PM »
Well, don't know if this helps or not since I've never really suffered from constipation. I've pretty much always had daily BMs. However, since starting to drink kombucha and kefir I have BMs 2-3 times daily. I've heard the same thing from other people.

I never thought that probiotics would do that but it makes sense. There is a yogurt called Activa that is supposed to promote regularity. I bought it a few times just cause I liked the taste but didn't notice any difference in bowel habits but then I didn't eat it every day for two weeks which is what they recommend.

Offline Morgan

• Learning
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 12:29:05 PM »
Is there any truth to what I heard about toxins in the colon making you sick? Anyone care to comment?
My personal experience has been, when I am having problems with C., I also have BAD skin problems (rashes, cracked and bleeding hands), depression, back ache, and, often, a myriad of other complaints that are otherwise unexplainable but considered "normal" by the medical folks and therefore of no concern (lactose intolerance, hair loss, itching, zero libido, insomnia sometimes, fatigue at other times, anxiety, irritability, head aches).  Conversely, I *once* (March, 2006, to be exact) got to experience life without C. for a whole week, with 2-3 large BMs daily (I've never gone so much in one week in my life!).  By the end of the week, my facial skin was clear and soft and looked about 10 years younger, I felt rested and energetic after only 5 hours of sleep nightly, plus I ate anything I wanted, even milk, without any gas or other side effects.  Unfortunately, I got so giddy with the new freedom,  I pigged out the following week on sweets, and totally messed up my body.  The constipation was back with a vengence, along with all the other nasty side effects.  I was pregnant at the time, and now am nursing, so it has been a real battle to recover.  I also had antibiotics with the  c-section birth in Oct. (standard with my OB whenever a csection is needed), so the yeast was back.  I have gotten rid of most yeast symptoms, mostly by taking 10 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract in water twice daily, for about one month.  This worked faster and better than anything I've done before, and was a whole lot cheaper!  I am intrigued by the yeast connection in all this, and plan to direct my efforts towards that a little more now that I know about it!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 03:13:10 PM »
If all this fails look and see if you have Amalog fillings. If you do get them replaced the right way and do a heavy metal detox. Mercury can actually cause bad intestinal problems with diarrhea and constipation.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline hsmamafl

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 04:42:47 PM »
I know you said you have done a colon cleanse, have you also done some gall bladder flushes?  I know of some who have had success becoming more regular through using them.  Also, how is your iron intake?  Too much can make a difference.

Michelle

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 07:17:07 PM »
I haven't... I guess since I'm still rather young (20) and have had a fairly healthy diet, and no problems with pain - I didn't think about doing a gall bladder flush - is that the same as the liver flush??
    I was interested in the liver flush but daunted by BeeyoutifulGirl's multiple flushes.... I would be afraid to get started for fear that I'd have to do it multiple times for success....And I feel like the salt and oil and stuff is kinda invasive, almost...
   I don't take any supplements with iron in them - all I take is TTU, cascara, and as of just recently, Yeast Assassin. Somebody reccomended on here that you take about 5 days of double doses of YA, along with NO sugar or flour type things - then continue on normal doses with a modified diet. I'm planning to do that, as soon as I can find time in my schedule - Having done stuff like this before, I know I'll probably be a bit tired and irritable....
Thanks everybody...keep the ideas coming!!! I'm going now to research this gall bladder stuff....
 - CNM2B

I know you said you have done a colon cleanse, have you also done some gall bladder flushes?  I know of some who have had success becoming more regular through using them.  Also, how is your iron intake?  Too much can make a difference.

Michelle

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 07:21:43 PM »
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about and it's interesting that you're seeing a connection with yeast, too. I'm doing Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tuneup original aggressively as soon as I can find the time and am hoping it'll make a difference. So now that you have treated with the grapefruit seed extract, do you still struggle with the constipation??? During that one week in March 2006 where you felt really good - WHAT were you doing?

Offline Morgan

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 06:07:01 AM »
So now that you have treated with the grapefruit seed extract, do you still struggle with the constipation??? During that one week in March 2006 where you felt really good - WHAT were you doing?
Yes, it is still a BIG problem, despite drinking well over 64 oz of water before noon.  But a former post (by Healthy Brat, I think) mentioned that yeast can cause digestive problems for up to a year after you are otherwise symptom free.  So, I'm going to assume that's still involved, and act accordingly.
When things went so great in March, 2 events happened the same day: I went to see a Naturopath & I got an adjustment from a chiropractor (both 1st time visits for me).  The N. checked several things: pH (mine was off-the-charts in the good direction), cholesterol (great), and microscopic inspection of blood at the cellulalr level, which revealed I had a condition (not an illness) called "reauloux" (sp?).  It means, instead of my blood cells all being separate and laying flat onthe slide like cheerios, it looked like a pile of caviar; the cells were all stuck together in long sausages, couldn't tell where one strand ended and another began.  Result: body is starving for oxygen at a cellular level; every organ is affected.  He had me take Bromelain mega-doses (4-8,000 units, I think), AM & PM for a month (this was to help break up the blood), and then an EPA supplement from Metagenix (to replace the blood's protective layer of fat on each cell with good fats), plus wild salmon 2x a week (I used canned), plus ground flax seed, 1 T. daily.  A month later when I went back, my blood looked like the poster of normal blood in his office, no longer sticky.  But my cholesterol had shot up 20 points and my pH was the opposite.  He was perplexed, until I told him about the sugar bing.  My blood did not show excessive yeast at that time.  He had me supplement w/fiber & increase water in the AM (i'd slacked off), and that seemed to help a little.  Another month later, I decided to try the chiropracter again, but saw no results.  She warned me that since my pregnancy was so far progressed, hormones would make ligaments all stretchy and difficult to hold an adjustment, and in fact I popped my neck back out of alignment before leaving her office.  So she encouraged me to wait until a few months after the birth to try that route again.  My last appt. w/either was w/N. dr. in Nov., which showed my blood getting a little sticky again, and a "little more yeast than we'd like to see" (his words).  I know my back is still wacked out, I can feel it when I lay on the floor, and my right side is often numb.  So I need to start exerciising to balance that out (chiropractor recommends Pilates).  But I don't expect much relief until I'm done nursing sometime next year.  :(

Offline Morgan

• Learning
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 06:10:27 AM »
I'm not completely cured (yet!), but had wonderful results (for a time) from a chiropractor adjustment & taking EPA (omega oils) supplements.  See the details on the other constipation thread.

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 03:30:33 AM »
Bump.... anybody else??

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 03:47:45 AM »
i am also not completely cured yet, but suffered from constipation daily, along with other things for my whole life.  i am treating for yeast, (right now i am using primal defense & accupuncture) which is what i believe is keeping me regular.  i also think i need to remove 4 amalgam fillings.  for 6 months i avoided 5 food allergens and was never constipated, but my other problems continued.  i'm sure it is different for everyone, hope you find what works.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 06:02:58 AM »
I do not have problems with constipation BUT a young woman in my Bible study did.  She was bound up all the time.  Then she found out she is allergic to something that is put in the city water where she lives.  I am not sure what the chemical is, but it was not the flouride or the chlorine.  If she has just one sip of the water (when she forgets) she is constipated for a week.  She drinks only bottled or filtered water now and is fine.

Offline Eviesmom

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007, 07:08:15 AM »
Good Morning! I have always struggled with contsitpation. When I was a teenager my cousin started selling herbal products.  My mom bought this tea and every night I would drink it. The first few weeks I had 5 bms a day and then after that once a day.  I lost 12 pounds too. Would anybody have any idea what kind of tea that may have been?  I would love to have some now?
Thanks!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »
Extra Magnesium!! Yahoo, that did the trick! Kombucha, probiotics, fiber all did not give me the extra edge that magnesium does!!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007, 08:34:44 AM »
My other thought is poo tells a story....  Is there undigested food in your stools?

http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/carbohydrate/index.html

Read down at the bottom where it talks about enzymes. Just an idea...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:57:16 AM by likemanywaters »
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2