Author Topic: Constipation: Causes & Cures  (Read 55855 times)

Dairae

Constipation: Causes & Cures
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:30:10 PM »
I just visited with a girl friend tonight who asked me for some advice. She said her bowels do not move well. She just had to have an x-ray and she said it was obvious she was full-up! She will go once every few days. I suggested psyllium. She said she still doesn't go often on it--she just feels more full and uncomfortable. She said prunes don't help. This is definitely not a problem I have (!!) and I was at a loss. I told her I would post here. I did talk about probiotics a little and told her to start on some good yogurt. She really doesn't have a  lot of money to invest in pills  and would have a hard time doing something radical that might make it hard to care for her seven young kids. I mean, if it meant her life she would, but getting through her normal day takes a lot of energy when everything is normal. Has anyone dealt with the successfully? What would be the most important things I could share with her? Thanks.

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
Re: Constipation: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 04:34:14 PM »
I recommend eating more fiber and drinking a lot more water, first and foremost, especially if spending money on pills is not an option (preferably.)

I know it sounds very simple, but I would say drinking water is the number one thing!

Does anyone else have any advice?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 04:39:31 PM by ALittleMore »

Offline cammy

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:49:01 PM »
I HAVEN'T POSTED HERE YET BUT LOVE TO READ AND LEARN!!!!!

ANYWAY MY DAUGHTER HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND WHAT WE HAVE FOUND THAT WORKS GREAT IS FLAXSEED OIL. SHE IS 11 AND WHAT WE DO IS PUT 1 TBS IN ABOUT 1/3 CUP JUICE OR LESS. THIS IS DONE DAILY, IF SHE MISSES A FEW DAYS SHE CAN TELL.

I WAS NOT ABOUT TO PUT HER ON LAXATIVES SO WE HAVE WENT WITH THIS.

CAMMY

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »
A friend of mine uses kombucha for her daughter who is stopped up.  She said it works great. 

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 05:16:13 PM »
We have a friend(male) who has this same problem. He had an x-ray, was told he was "full up" and their MD. gave other advice. I forget what all but anyway it didn't help so  he then went to a natural DR. This guy said to do the water cure, a liver flush, a few coffee enemas, followed by another liver flush and to eat more fruit and veggies. He thought maybe it was caused by a food allergy  so he is keeping a food diary to take back on his next visit and the DR. will see if there is any allergy causing foods on this list.  yuck! hope she finds help!

Dairae

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:16:08 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I should have mentioned, she said she drink at least 96 ounces of water a day. I will pass on the suggestions--please keep 'em coming. Thanks.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:45:12 AM »
I would definitly suggest the master cleanse. That will clean you out like nothing else. But, if she doesn't want to do something that dramatic, she could drink a natural laxative tea with senna in it to at least get her bowels moving and from there make sure she gets lots of fiber and vegetables. I have another friend with that problem and she's a very healthy eater. I'm talking soaking her grains and lots of fermented food, so i'm not sure why the problem, maybe someone else has better suggestions.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 05:16:14 AM »
Liver flush will definitely get things going. Master Cleanse will clear away stuff that has caked on and get the pipes that take out the trash working well. However, in a person that is showing clogged colon on x-rays, you will want to make sure you have a light schedule for the 48 hours of liver flush or 10 days of Master Cleanse. If this isn't the case right away, I would use an herbal laxative tea until you can get to the other. Smooth Move is a winner in my book. I get mine from the local health food store, but I think you can also find it in grocery and some super stores. It uses senna leaf and no caffeine. Your friend will find it is safe to drink a cup daily (1 tea bag) until he/she can do the liver flush and Master Cleanse. Don't forget to drink PLENTY of water daily. I find that too little water will cause discomfort when you couple it with the laxative tea. Otherwise, things should go . . . well . . . smoothly. ::)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 06:42:34 AM »
I had this problem until I treated for yeast.  No sugars, Yeast Assassin, Tummy Tune-up, Yogurt and Kombucha.  It takes awhile for everything to work on it's own.  I've been treating for 4 months and ran out of TT and YA and things backed up again until I got some more, but whenever the candida takes over, it can take several months to a year to get it going on it's own again.
  My favorite herb book!!

Dairae

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 04:28:38 AM »
Wouldn't the liver flush be a problem if things weren't moving? What is the stones came out of the liver but didn't move all the way out?

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 05:34:59 AM »
Wouldn't the liver flush be a problem if things weren't moving? What is the stones came out of the liver but didn't move all the way out?
*chortle*snort*  :D

Sorry! I should have explained that the way the liver flush works is that it makes things 'clean as a whistle' with the doses of Epsom salts AND opens the ducts in the gall bladder and liver. Then, the evening dose of grapefruit juice and olive oil flushes the stones from the open ductwork into the (now VERY empty) colon and down the drain. The second day's follow up assures you that you are quite UN backed up.

Let us know how things go.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 06:26:37 AM »
I have the same problem basically if I eat anything with cheese.
Personally what I do and it never fails to work with me is:

I drink a warm mug of apple cider vinegar with honey.  By the next morning I am going again.

Boil your water
And add
1 Tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey

Drink before it gets cold before you go to bed at night.

Honeybee
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline lovinmy4

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 09:20:43 AM »
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum, and you have had some great suggestions so far. But one that wasn't mentioned was chiropractic care. My daughter was struggling with severe constipation for months and I mentioned it to my chiropractor. She suggested bringing my daughter in for adjustments. Within the first 2 visits, she experienced relief. For months, any time she got a little irregular, we would take her in for an adjustment and it would all "smooth out"! the nerves in the lower back are particularly sensitive to spinal sublaxations. I'd go to the chiropractor if I were her!

p.s. My daughter was an infant at the time (5 months old) we began taking her for her adjustments.
God bless,
Tara
 :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »
I have the same problem basically if I eat anything with cheese.
This used to stop me up too, until I treated.  Now I can eat as much cheese as I want with no problems.  Cheese is like my favorite food.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »
I plan to treat for yeast when we get back after the weekend.  So hopefully it will help me as well since I love cheese.

The funny thing is though, is that I can eat goats cheese and not have it affect me at all, but I have to stay away from cow's cheese.

Honeybee
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 06:10:30 AM »
I love cheese.

mmmmmmmm.....(mouth watering) New York Extra Sharp Cheddar ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »
I've been reading up on aloe vera juice and drinking it is supposed to help constipation.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:43:00 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 08:09:45 AM »
I have had  bad issues with constipation too, I drink a glass of pure water with salt in it everymorning when i get up for my adrenals, but the really good product i have just discovered is a product called Squecky clean, you get it from www.adrenalfatigue.com It is not terribly expensive either.  I LOVE it, it also cleans out the backed up material. .............. Hope this helps......

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 03:39:28 AM »
If this isn't the case right away, I would use an herbal laxative tea until you can get to the other. Smooth Move is a winner in my book. I get mine from the local health food store, but I think you can also find it in grocery and some super stores. It uses senna leaf and no caffeine. Your friend will find it is safe to drink a cup daily (1 tea bag) until he/she can do the liver flush and Master Cleanse. Don't forget to drink PLENTY of water daily. I find that too little water will cause discomfort when you couple it with the laxative tea. Otherwise, things should go . . . well . . . smoothly. ::)

We used this tea for DH while doing the MC.  After drinking the saltwater (2 tsp of sea salt/ qt of water) each morning, he quickly would be empty.  We have since thought that if evr somone was to suffer from constipation we would recommend a cup of the senna (Smooth Move) tea before bed and the qt of salt water in the AM.  We've not had a need to try this yet, but I dont think (my opinion) it would be harmful.

my $.02  :D 
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 04:19:27 AM »
I would definitly suggest the master cleanse. That will clean you out like nothing else. But, if she doesn't want to do something that dramatic, she could drink a natural laxative tea with senna in it to at least get her bowels moving and from there make sure she gets lots of fiber and vegetables. I have another friend with that problem and she's a very healthy eater. I'm talking soaking her grains and lots of fermented food, so i'm not sure why the problem, maybe someone else has better suggestions.

not sure what kinds of drs.,etc. your friend has been to or what she's tried, but my food allergies cause constipation of the worst sort.  i always felt like my bowels were LOCKED up.  i felt like i needed to go, but couldn't.  i am not cured, but have found 80-90% relief with accupuncture and primal defense.  i am only taking 1/2 scoop a day, because i'm nursing, but plan on doing 90 days of 12 pills a day and seeing what that does for me after i'm done nursing.  i eat whatever i want now, and rarely have symptoms.  i began baking my own bread early on and it did nothing for me, though i love it and still use it.  maybe this will help her get to the root cause. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 05:34:32 AM »
I've been reading up on aloe vera juice and drinking it is supposed to help constipation.
Maria

That's interesting, because it's also supposed to be anti-candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 05:36:05 AM »
i am not cured, but have found 80-90% relief with accupuncture and primal defense.
There is definately a pattern forming here.  I gained improvement while treating for yeast.  Primal defense and aloe vera are also treatments for yeast.  Definately a connection here.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 06:48:14 AM »
i am not cured, but have found 80-90% relief with accupuncture and primal defense.
There is definately a pattern forming here.  I gained improvement while treating for yeast.  Primal defense and aloe vera are also treatments for yeast.  Definately a connection here.

hey HB, what were you using when you got the improvement?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »

hey HB, what were you using when you got the improvement?

Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbnurse

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 07:57:51 AM »
I want to give an inservice at work on constipation, side effects of it and ways to avoid it.
I am a hospice nurse and we use a lot of narcotics that are very constipating. I know what we use and how to avoid it but I would like public opinion from the 'healthier' more holistic community.
Eph. 4;29

Offline herbnurse

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 08:00:01 AM »
I posted this under Natural health also and would like replies on how to avoid constipation and the bad side effects of being constipated from the holistic community (you all that read these messages). :D
Eph. 4;29

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 08:00:14 AM »
Personally I find in the treatment and prevention of the C word  :-X Cod Liver oil is the easiest and most comfortable remedy. HTH

-Heather

Offline herbnurse

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 08:01:55 AM »
Do the capsules work? I just can't see people taking that by the spoonful.
Eph. 4;29

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 08:06:27 AM »
Yes, I take the capsules and they work well, although I will say some of the flavored cod liver oils out there aren't that bad to take by the spoonful and you can sneak it into food (for my sons I find they will take it in applesauce and not notice it.)

-Heather

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »
There's a cinnamon flavored cod liver oil that many people say is the only kind they will take because it tastes so good. Also, cinnamon is just generally good for your health, especially when taken with fat (like cod liver oil  ;D ), so that's a bonus. The cheapest I have found it is HERE.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!