Author Topic: Vinegar: The Frugal Wonder  (Read 14279 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Vinegar: The Frugal Wonder
« on: April 27, 2006, 02:31:33 PM »
There are many threads that suggest using vinegar for everything from hair conditioner to fabric softener, but while looking into a bit further, I found there are so many more uses for this fairly inexpensive and mostly organic product that these few posts hardly does the topic justice, so here are some of the links I found that list the many useful things you can do with apple cider and white distilled vinegar.

from Frugal Living
Apple cider vinegar should be used for anything personal, both inside and outside the body. Do not use white distilled vinegar as it can rob your body of essential minerals.

Vinegar - The Frugal Wonder
Vinegar:  Personal Care
Uses for Vinegar:  Doing Laundry
Uses for Vinegar & Salt & Baking Soda
Vinegar
60 Uses of vinegar
Popular Vinegar Recipes
Vinegar:  Odor Control
Vinegar - Out of Doors
Vinegar - Laundry
Vinegar - Cooking
Vinegar - Medicinal Uses
Vinegar for Pets and Animals
Vinegar - Miscellaneous Uses

from Frugal Living
Ants don't care for mint or citrus, cloves or bay leaves, so think orange peel, peppermint tea, lemon juice, ground cloves, etc. If you can plant mint around the foundations of your home, you may deter them from entering. Vinegar has the same acid as citrus, so use it to clean with and ants won't feel welcome. (It probably erases or overpowers the odor trail other ants have left for them to follow.)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:52:49 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wannabeholisticpro

• Learning
  • Hardy one
Re: Vinegar: The Frugal Wonder
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:33:09 PM »
:-\A little light for you just concerning the INTAKE of vinegar..

When it enters our stomach, it ferments our food. So putrification and decay take place within our digestion. As a consequence, the blood is not nourished, but becomes filled with impurities, and liver and kidney difficulties may appear. 

Beware of fads and always check them with the bible.  ;D
Lorraine Mura :>)

Honey Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:10:41 AM »
I have 2 uses of vinegar to add:

1.  I have WHITE carpet and 2 boys, a dog, and a husband who digs dirt for a living so I own a carpet shampooer.  I put a cup of white vinegar in the rinse water to take out the soap out of my carpet.

2.  I love to put my boys in red, navy and green t's but these color show grease stains.  I put white vinegar on a grease stain and let sit until laundry time(up to 2 days later.)  Works great for getting the stain out.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:25:07 AM »
1.  I have WHITE carpet and 2 boys, a dog, and a husband who digs dirt for a living

HoneyBee! As the only female (other than the dog) in my family, I am typing this with my jaw dropped in stunned amazement. :o Did the carpet start out white or was there a paint accident? That I could relate to!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:19:23 PM »
1.  I have WHITE carpet and 2 boys, a dog, and a husband who digs dirt for a living

HoneyBee! As the only female (other than the dog) in my family, I am typing this with my jaw dropped in stunned amazement. :o Did the carpet start out white or was there a paint accident? That I could relate to!

White carpet + boys = Permanently Dirty Carpet.  ;) 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
Hey! I also have white carpet, 3 children and a husband who digs dirt for a living. I love it because it makes everything look fresh. white carpet, white trim ...
-mary
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:49:19 PM by mary »

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:39:06 PM »
When it enters our stomach, it ferments our food. So putrification and decay take place within our digestion. As a consequence, the blood is not nourished, but becomes filled with impurities, and liver and kidney difficulties may appear. 

That's interesting.  I take vinegar twice a day and have read it is quite good for you. ACV that is.  I also thought that the Makers Diet or some other book said that eating fermented foods help digestion. Is that different? and am I remembering correctly?  I have heard doctors endorse drinking ACV it is very high in potassium. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:07:31 PM by healthybratt »

• Learning
  • Hardy one
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 05:33:12 PM »

That's interesting.  I take vinegar twice a day and have read it is quite good for you. ACV that is.  I also thought that the Makers Diet or some other book said that eating fermented foods help digestion. Is that different? and am I remembering correctly?  I have heard doctors endorse drinking ACV it is very high in potassium. 

Have you ever looked vinegar up in the scriptures:

They gave Me also gall for My meat; and in My thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink." Ps. 69:20, 21. To those who suffered death by the cross, it was permitted to give a stupefying potion, to deaden the sense of pain. This was offered to Jesus; but when He had tasted it, He refused it. He would receive nothing that could becloud His mind. His faith must keep fast hold upon God. This was His only strength. To becloud His senses would give Satan an advantage. {DA 746.2}from one of my favorite books, the desire of ages, which is the #1 wanted book in the library of congress files on the life of Christ. Read it today. This is one of my views of vinegar. Is your vinegar differnt from this fermented type? LM

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 05:56:17 PM »
I gleaned this information from the book Herbal Vinegar, by Maggie Oster:

Vinegar’s acidic nature slows down the growth of harmful bacteria in foods. IMO this would allow beneficial bacteria the opportunity to take hold and populate the digestive tract. In addition to the Scriptural references to its use as a beverage and condiment, the Roman army used it as an invigorating drink.

I think that drinking non-fermented vinegars wouldn’t be the best and prefer fermented vinegars. However, I do not agree with those who conclude that vinegar is harmful to ingest. My family finds it to be a great benefit.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 06:25:20 AM »
I drink raw apple cider vinegar.  I think it's good for me.  I drink a couple teaspoons in my water.  Haven't got a "buzz" yet.   :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 09:43:58 AM »
I drink raw apple cider vinegar.  I think it's good for me.  I drink a couple teaspoons in my water.  Haven't got a "buzz" yet.   :D

You are soooo brave.   :o :P :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

• Learning
  • Hardy one
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 04:10:19 PM »
That's interesting. I believe that the vinegar the Romans used, was a very fermented, wine-like substance, wasnt it? That deserves research to the doubter. Just look at a history book!  ???It was like apple cider gone further, or fermented wine. By the way, apple cider is a fermented product as well, and, for those who read my above entry with the scripture, light can dawn concerning the use of any table fermented wine as well, that we should not allow our communion with our Great Creator to be disabled

But I would not wish to use vinegar since it also takes calcium from our bones to "digest"
it. Its sort of like eating chocolate for the good in it, when there is already so much bad. the biblical diet of Adam was grain, fruit,nuts and legumes. Later, after sin, vegetables were added. I stick to that, and my health grows and florishes, and so does my waistline ;D

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 04:16:36 PM »
and meat was added after the flood.  MMMM, swiss steak  ;D  I think I just read that vinegar is a good base for marinades because it works to tenderize food (if this is obvious, sorry. I had to teach myself to cook after I got married, and we're only on our third year of marriage!)

• Learning
  • Hardy one
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 05:37:51 PM »
Hi,

this has been an interesting subject. thanks for writing. Guess its one of those controversies, like chocolate or alchohol, well sort of.

thx. hope to stay in contact some more, less ur tired of me ;D

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
It was like apple cider gone further, or fermented wine. By the way, apple cider is a fermented product as well, and, for those who read my above entry with the scripture, light can dawn concerning the use of any table fermented wine as well

Isn't saying 'fermented wine' an oxymoron? Like saying '2 twins'?  Wine is wine because it has been fermented....otherwise it would be grape juice or apple juice or dandelion juice, whatever....well, at least that's my opinion....but the subject is Vinegar being a frugal wonder...we in our household, being that I am of Italian descent, use a ton of balsamic vinegar, I love it so much, that I actually do drink a bit here and there!  My mom once when we were in Siena, Italy, bought a cute little cork-stopped glass vial of it for $75!  It was 75 years old...I got to taste it, sweet as can be, but not all that much better than the large bottles I buy  ;)....and that ain't always too frugal, because it's triple the price of apple cider vinegar, mayhbe more, but the lovely, rich taste of it on raw vegetables, reduced in the pan for sauces, mixed in my homemade cole slaw with my shredded cabbage and carrots....the flavor is worth it alone!

Just tonight I had 5 little girls all around the table cutting veggies for my hubbies favorite side dish, Balsamic Cukes and Tomatoes....so the frugality of it was that it was a cheap way to keep all these girls busy for 30 minutes while I got the rest of dinner together! How's that for staying on topic?  Just slice your cukes thin (we used 2 huge ones), halve sweet cherry tomatoes (we used all we could get out the garden and a full container from the grocery), (thinly sliced onions are a nice addition) add a bit of oregano, basil, a bit of sugar or honey, (maybe 2 tsp), freshly ground pepper, salt, drizzle some olive oil and then pour on the Balsamic -- shake it all around...let it pickle a bit, overnight is best, but as usual, he couldn't wait!  He always eats a large bowl of it and then washes the veggies down with the vinegar left in the bottom of the bowl, and then washes that down with his fermented wine;D  Ok, so I couldn't resist....

~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts
see my quilts and family at _http://tinyurl.com/3q824
**NEW PHOTOS JUST ADDED**

ps I have always used white vinegar to clean glass and windows, works best in a spray bottle and then wipe clean with black & white newspaper...sometimes put in the rinse water of the wash will freshen clothes....put in the toilet to freshen....also used it during thrush with a couple of babies, swabbed my breast before nursing to change the ph so the yeast couldn't thrive and then I would swab the baby's mouth with a baking soda and water mixture (need to post that somewhere perhaps)
I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 06:31:18 PM »
That recipe sounds soooo yummy.  We were suppose to be having some creamed cukes and onions, tomorrow, but I think I will try this recipe.  I love to sip vinegar, too.  I am not even Italian.  :)  Although, I eat and drink like one.  Ciao!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 08:26:49 PM »
Isn't saying 'fermented wine' an oxymoron? Like saying '2 twins'?  Wine is wine because it has been fermented....otherwise it would be grape juice or apple juice or dandelion juice,

Ok, first of all an oxymoron is something that is opposite like "pretty ugly", but what I was thinking that fermented wine might be like a double negative "don't have none" would be a positive mean "I have some", so maybe fermented wine IS grape juice.  ;)

Sorry, couldn't let anna take away my "bratt" status.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 02:59:59 AM »
HB said:  Ok, first of all an oxymoron is something that is opposite like "pretty ugly", but what I was thinking that fermented wine might be like a double negative "don't have none" would be a positive mean "I have some", so maybe fermented wine IS grape juice.

~~Ok, HB, I am kinda new 'round these parts, so I didn't know that the Bratt part is more than just a cute moniker...BUT...it couldn't be a double negative because neither word is negative, like, "I ain't got none".  Actually, below are 2 definitions, of which the first says that an oxymoron is usually, but not always, composed of a pair of neighbouring contradictory words, but they could also be contradictory words...so fermented and wine would seemingly contradict each other since wine is wine because it is fermented - you sited 'pretty ugly', so it seems that we both be right  ;). You're a bratt; I am a pesky, red-penned language snob... :-X

2 Quotes "Oxymorons (or oxymora) are literary figures of speech usually composed of a pair of neighbouring contradictory words (often within a sentence). However this is not always the case. The Webster Dictionary defines oxymoron as "a combination of contradictory or incongruous words".

and

Others have quite acceptable meaningful uses in English, but, when analysed word for word, contain contradictions. Examples include almost perfect, clearly misunderstood, and pretty ugly. These are only oxymorons in a punning sense.

http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_explain.html (you can find these quotes & much more on oxymorons here)

I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 05:42:25 AM »
Hi everyone. I have no medical or scientific info to back me up, but growing up, my mom always gave us "vinegar and honey" (hot water with a couple tsp. each of ac vinegar and honey) to drink when we had a cold or felt run down. If taken a couple times a day (whatever you can handle really...I hate the stuff, but drink it to get better), it can knock a cold out quickly. That and garlic were regular household cure-alls. Also, I have known several older people that take a tsp or tbsp every day and they are some of the most healthy (and live(d) to be pretty old) people I know.

So that's just my two cents. :) I'm not going to enter the debate of oxymorons and double negatives!  ;) haha
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »
So that's just my two cents. :) I'm not going to enter the debate of oxymorons and double negatives!  ;) haha

;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 08:03:02 AM »
Hi everyone. I have no medical or scientific info to back me up, but growing up, my mom always gave us "vinegar and honey" (hot water with a couple tsp. each of ac vinegar and honey) to drink when we had a cold or felt run down. If taken a couple times a day (whatever you can handle really...I hate the stuff, but drink it to get better), it can knock a cold out quickly. That and garlic were regular household cure-alls. 

~~My father-in-law does this as well, and is one of the healthiest men I know; I do not need even one hand to count the times he has been sick since I've known him, which is 20 yrs....garlic, cayenne pepper and vinegar are mainstays of his diet. He is 63, and as strong as any 30 yr old man, can go on bike rides with my husband and other son for 40 or 50 miles. He does his vinegar and says it goes hand in hand with Bragg's Amino acids.

I, too, should not debate literary devices....sorry  :-\.

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 08:47:58 AM »
I had some raw acv on hand for a while, maybe 6 months or more. When I finally went to use it, it smelled more like alcohol/wine than vinegar. I still used it for skin toner, but there is a definite difference between fresh raw acv and "super-fermented" acv.  The doc told me its only fresh for about 6 weeks and then it begins the process fermenting again. (I don't really know how to word that...maybe there's better terminolgy for that.)

VM

Nickole

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 08:25:16 AM »
WHAT ARE CUKES???????????????????????????  ???

Nickole

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 08:33:33 AM »
WHAT ARE CUKES???????????????????????????  ???

Nickole
Cucumbers ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 08:19:20 AM »
I am interested in using natural cleaners instead of chemicals.

However, I really dislike the smell of vinegar. :P  I remember visiting a house when I was young, and asked my mom why it smelled funny. She replied, "Oh, they just cleaned the carpets with vinegar".

Does anybody else have vinegar smelling homes if they use it for detergent, whole house carpet cleaning, etc.

I currently use a mix of vinegar, water, and some other things to clean my kitchen counters.  That smell doesn't bother me.

Also, any ideas on decreasing the strong smell of vinegar would be helpful too!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »
I've noticed that when I clean with vinegar the smell dissapates quickly. I've thought about putting in essential oils, but I didn't know if it would work. I put some shampoo in an old vinegar bottle and it deoderized the shampoo...it didn't smell like anything at all!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 01:55:15 PM »
I'm new to all this stuff...and I just wondered What is so great about apple cider vinegar.  I see it used in remedies and such, but I just wondered what is it about vinegar that makes it so great and what does it do for you body???? :-\

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 02:58:24 PM »
Where's SC ??!
I started using vinegar for EVERYTHING because of her!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 03:04:44 PM »

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 06:49:19 PM »
Thanks I'll check it out  :D