Author Topic: Health Challenged Husbands: Winning Hubby Over to a Healthier Way of Life  (Read 22872 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Health Challenged Husbands: Winning Hubby Over to a Healthier Way of Life
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
I just wanted to clarify my suggestions above. They were made with the thinking that there are husbands out there who know they should be eating more vegetables and wanted the benefit of the nutrients, but just haven't yet developed the pallet to appreciate these foods. You DO have to develop your taste buds.

My methods of finely chopping vegetables and inserting them into main dishes is how I get nutrients into an undeveloped pallet. If someone is eating sugary snacks packed full of processed grains and empty calories, they just won't appreciate the subtle flavorings and variety offered in organic vegetables. Also, if you tried to feed ME a non-organic salad, I'd pass also. Vegetables aren't supposed to leave a chemical/bitter/nasty taste in your mouth. Fresh greens aren't supposed to taste like some disgusting paper. I didn't know carrot skins were sweet until I had an organic one as an adult. I always thought they were bitter.

Also, making a vegetable broth as I outlined in the previous post, is a great way to get some bioavailable nutrients into someone who can't or won't eat them in another form. You can turn this into a vegetable drink, quick soup, or use it to cook other items to increase their nutrient content. This is an effective method for those in poor/fragile health (even with feeding tubes). When a system is depleted, you can actually feel a rush of energy with the first sip. This isn't always the case with processed vitamins and supplements as an individual may lack the enzymes he/she needs to digest them.

Of course, the best way is to actually eat the vegetable, and that's my long term goal. However, to expect someone to go from ice cream and burgers to a salad lover is a bit of a leap. So, I use this method to transition someone much the same as I would move a baby from milk to solids -- slowly, one step at a time, giving them a chance to aquire a taste for the new foods.

If you get a negative response, you know you've gone too quickly or in the wrong direction. Healthy foods don't do your family a bit of good if they don't taste good enough for anyone to eat them. Just my $.02
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
Maybe I should clarify too.  My husband knows that I am not trying to be rebellious.  I think he kind of likes seeing what I come up with.  When we first got married I didn't know how to cook at all, so he knows that if he doesn't like something he doesn't have to eat it (and there is always a frozen pizza in the freezer, just in case the whole meal goes bad  ;)).  He gives me a teasing smile every time I try a new veggie idea like, "We'll see if you found a good one this time." 

He normally doesn't want the details of what is in each dish; if it tastes good he is happy.  But if he asks I don't hid anything.  We have certainly had some healthy mishaps that we both laughed about (imagine biscuits and gravy with spirulina in it -- turned the whole thing green  :P).  But as long as he is open to trying my new health concoctions, I am going to try them.  He is really excited about the water from boiling water idea.  He really loves anything that tastes the  same to him, but that gives his wife that happy smile of "yeah! I got nutrients into him."  I will continue to take everyone's advice and not let veggies come between me and my husband  :D   

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
There are some great ideas posted.  My husband does not appreciate it when I try to improve on something that is fine with him the way it is.  And if two recipes are too similar he will stick with the old familiar one almost always.  Still, there's a lot of territory out there to be explored!

I have found that carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, butternut squash and acorn squash substitute well for one another, especially in sweet recipes like pies and muffins.  For something a little different, how about...

Sweet Potato Cornbread
2 tbsp oil
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (your choice)
1/3 cup oil
3 cups self-rising cornmeal mix

Preheat oven to 375.  Place 2 tbsp oil in skillet and heat in oven for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine potatoes, eggs and milk, mixing until smooth.  Add oil and cornmeal, stirring until just blended.

Pour into hot skillet and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.

Do you see how you could do something similar with biscuits?  Maybe just a 1/2 cup of pumpkin stirred in.  Adjust the spices to be savory or sweet, too.

I love to use fresh green herbs.  Herbs are nutritional powerhouses, as are spices.  One of the best ways to improve health is to use herbs and spices as often as possible.  Chives, parsley, cilantro and basil impart a fresh bright flavor, aroma and wonderful color to a dish.

Just before serving soup I like to shred a little zucchini into it and toss in the green herbs.  It's pretty.

You can also put veggies in the blender and then add them to all sorts of things, in moderate amounts.  I have a child who shudders at chunky tomato sauce, but loves the same sauce if it has been pureed.  Tastes the same, but the texture is smooth.

Last hint: halve the recipe.  If it bombs, there is less to choke down.

Offline CJ

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 05:08:29 AM »
My husband hates all vegetables.  I want him to enjoy what I cook for him, but I would also like to find some way to get some more of those nutrients into his diet.  He would love to just live off pizza  ;), but he has been willing to try new things.  Together we have found some other things that he likes, some of which have veggies in them, but straight veggie recipes that he likes right now are basically non-existent.  When I make pot roast or pork chops or steaks, I don't have any way to get veggies into the meal.   

He is allergic to legumes, so beans or peas are out of the question.  He doesn't like anything raw, so I have to find some recipes to cook them in a way that taste good to him.  I would love some help if anyone else has found ways to cook for someone that really doesn't like veggies.  I can't wait to hear your ideas  ;D
Your husband sounds a lot like my son - He didn't like anything green.  But he did like sweet potatoes, cooked carrots with glaze sauce, corn of any kind - mostly creamed and he liked cauliflower with cheese sauce.  You might want to try some of those.  GOOD LUCK!

cj
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:25:55 AM by CJ »

freshisbest

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
Sweet Potato Biscuits; Carrot Bread; Zucchini Bread; "Vegie Muffins"...try the goodies first! Then do oven-browned ( roasted) cubed potatoes ( white and sweet mixed) using coconut oil and salt/pepper/ garlic and ginger if he likes those;
A quesadilla with peppers mixed in..lots of chunky chicken to mask them; Spaghetti sauce with spinach, carrots, peppers, muchrooms, all ground up in a cuisinart; All vegetable egg rolls, my kids new favorite! Of course chicken or beef inside is good too, but they are going nuts for them this week! (I bought the wrappers to make it easy this time around but plan to make my own using my pasta maker to roll them thin.)
These are the ways I got my fussy boys to get more vegies...

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »
Came across this preserving recipe in an old cookbook ...

How to Preserve a Husband

Be careful in your selection.  Do not choose too young.  When once selected give your entire thoughts to preparation for domestic use.  Some insist on keeping them in a pickle, others are constantly getting them in hot water.  This may make them sour, hard and sometimes bitter.  Even poor varieties may be made sweet and tender and good by garnishing them with patience, well sweetened with love and seasoned with kisses.  Wrap them in a mantle of charity.  Keep warm with a steady fire of domestic devotion and serve with peaches and cream.  Thus prepared they will keep for years.
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Gabriel

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »
That is really cute!  Thanks for posting this. I am going to copy and send it to family!

In Christian love,
Gabriel

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »
LOL that is great!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »
That is very cute!  I have that same recipe in a church cookbook.  There is also this one:
                          Preserved Children
Take 1 large field, half a dozen children, 2 or 3 small dogs, a pinch of brook, and some pebbles.  Mix the children and dogs well together; put them on the field, stirring constantly.  Pour the brook over the pebbles; sprinkle the field with flowers; spread over all a deep blue sky; and bake in the sun.  When brown, set away to cool in the bathtub.
Author unknown
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »

Hmmm.... where is the step where you feed them chocolate?  Mine seems to require regular doses.  I guess I really did get a weird one.....

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Nickole

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »

Hmmm.... where is the step where you feed them chocolate?  Mine seems to require regular doses.  I guess I really did get a weird one.....

Sarah K

"well sweetened with love and seasoned with kisses" - there's a reference to   Hershey's right there!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:27 AM »

Sarah K
mine is any candy with citric or lactic acid, pretty colors and mega preservatives.   :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Daniel's Cousin

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »
That is very cute! I have that same recipe in a church cookbook. There is also this one:
 Preserved Children
Take 1 large field, half a dozen children, 2 or 3 small dogs, a pinch of brook, and some pebbles. Mix the children and dogs well together; put them on the field, stirring constantly. Pour the brook over the pebbles; sprinkle the field with flowers; spread over all a deep blue sky; and bake in the sun. When brown, set away to cool in the bathtub.
Author unknown

That is so sweet. I've never read that one before.  ;D
And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 08:07:06 AM »

Be careful in your selection.  Do not choose too young. 

That is cute, Erin!  But what is too young........?  Mine is 13 months younger.  Does that mean he is geared towards "spoilage" ??  :D
Do you get my American talk?  ;D

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »

Be careful in your selection.  Do not choose too young.  When once selected give your entire thoughts to preparation for domestic use.  Some insist on keeping them in a pickle, others are constantly getting them in hot water.  This may make them sour, hard and sometimes bitter.  Even poor varieties may be made sweet and tender and good by garnishing them with patience, well sweetened with love and seasoned with kisses.  Wrap them in a mantle of charity.  Keep warm with a steady fire of domestic devotion and serve with peaches and cream.  Thus prepared they will keep for years.
someone gave this to me written out on a recipe card when I got married.  I still keep it in my recipe box and still pull it out when looking for recipes  :)

Offline Keetonmamma

• Learning
I loved zuccini bread but my husband refused to eat it since he saw green flecks of zuccini peal in it.  I asked him if I could make it for the rest of the family to eat sometime and he said "sure".  I decided to try it with peeled zuccini.  No green flecks.  Hubby smelled it baking and thought it smelled wonderful.  He tried it. and when he saw no green flecks in it he decided he loved it and will eat several slices when I make a loaf. I really wasn't trying to trick him, I was just wondering if it would effect the flavor if you removed the peels.

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
I'm sorry, I didn't have time to read this whole thread.  I just wanted to  add that I've heard of shredding carrots in meatloaf.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet it's not too bad.  I'm sure you could disguise other veggies in that hunk of meat as well........

Offline morningglory

• Adept
In my experience, guys will eat almost anything if it's covered in cheese or breaded and fried.  If you use whole wheat flour and non-hydrogenated oil, it's still pretty healthy.  I was watching a cooking show, and I was amazed at how simple most of the gourmet dishes were.  I tried to imitate what I saw by sauteeing chicken breasts and onion, garlic, and green peppers in extra virgin olive oil with whatever spices I grabbed out of the cabinet.  My husband ate ALL of it and said it was the best chicken I'd ever made.  He even ate the onions! :o  I really think the onions and garlic make all of the difference.  I've made chicken this way a few times now, and it's a little different every time, because I can never remember which spices I used the time before.  Every time, DH loves it.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
If you are looking for the quickest way to improve your family's diet and/or health habits, I can tell you that the surest way to reach an impasse and set up a conflict you will not win is to turn it into a power struggle between yourself and your husband. There are many families on this forum that are at different places in the journey. More than one wife can testify that when she stopped trying to correct her dh, he was happy to consider alternatives.

IMO, it is best to look for common ground where you agree. Support him there and elsewhere. When he knows you'll follow and he can trust your heart, changes will happen.

At our house, we look for ways to make the unhealthy treats from the healthiest ingredients we can find. Dh notices the better taste and has (over time) changed his habits and welcomed better foods. If I had dug in and defended my 'correct' view, we would still be eating out of boxes.

Just my $.02
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
My DH was a strictly meat and potatoes man who loved Coke and pizza and hated anything green.  Changes to our diet were not welcomed until he saw me go through some horrendous health problems and saw that changing my diet was the only thing that really helped.  Then he started eating what I ate to be in solidarity with me.  I never demanded it; as a matter of fact, I continued to cook for him as I had before so that he would not miss out on his favorites.  When he began to eat my food, he noticed some of HIS health issues improve.  That was enough to get the ball rolling for him.  He is just as health-conscious as I am now.  We both still have some problems with our health, but we try not to obsess about them.  We ask God for answers, and trust Him to lead us to the right information in His way, in His time, just as He has done for us in the past.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline Melie

• Master
Sounds to me like it might be time to stop discussing health issues with him.  I wouldn't even bring it up.  Just be joyful in what you serve him and serve him what he likes.  I know some people who are so worked up about health issues that they feel horrible guilt if they take a bite of chocolate and they are consumed with worry about germs and disease.  I think we ought to do the best we can with what we have remembering that our life on earth is temporary and God can take us whenever He wishes.  I would really rather be slightly unhealthy, yet full of joy than live a nice long, healthy life wracked with worry over everything my body comes in contact with.  My husband has also evolved from not so healthy to quite health consious but there are times I can tell that I might be pushing it, either by his comments or his attitude.  When that happens, I make a chocolate cake and serve it with a smile!  Then all is well.

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
I probably would have come back (with a big smile) with something like, "Hey, do you mind if I start smoking then?" or "Okay...tell the kids it's time to start playing in traffic! 

It sounds like he is trying to come up with "scriptural" backing for a desire to not change (a kind of Rom. 6:1 reasoning).  However, like the other wise women on here have already stated, nothing will turn a man off to change faster than having his wife point out the "error" of his ways.  He doesn't want a "mama" telling him what to do.

To most men, food means comfort, so he is likely concerned that you will suddenly make all his food taste like cardboard.  I know I will never have a "perfectly natural and hyper-healthy" home, nor do I really have it as a goal.  I'm just aiming towards less processed, more natural.  It's a process.  Does he like to bring home ice cream for the family?  Smile and enjoy it rather than sit there and read off the ingredients to him!  Does he like rolls with dinner?  Make some delicious ones from scratch rather than buy a can or mix.  There are always subtle ways to make things more healthy without being the "health-nazi".

And, if he's like my husband, he is also concerned that you spend too much time with your focus on computer, rather than caring for the home.  So I better get going!   ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2007, 06:24:21 AM »
As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion.  When one cannot be found, start a new one.

Heart Problems: Healthy Diet/Herbs for Cure

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.

~hb
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:18:24 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!