Author Topic: Help! Is there a natural replacement for an inhaler?  (Read 66745 times)

Offline LKS

• Master
Help! Is there a natural replacement for an inhaler?
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »
About 6 years ago my husband became very sick with a debilitating cough and other flu like symptoms. Our doctor at the time prescribed a very strong cough suppressant with Vicadin. Wrong answer! Ever since that winter, each year as soon as the weather turns cold, my husband developes a deep chest cough which takes his breath away and is almost like an asthma attack. In fact the only treatment that seems to work is an albuterol(sp?) inhaler. This works like a charm. So after all of that my question is: is there a natural alternative to the inhaler?
Thanks,
LKS

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Help! Is there a natural replacement for an inhaler?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »
Don't know of any alternatives to albutoral other than ephedrine, but my daughter had asthma and I took her off homogenized milk and all of the symptoms disappeared. 

My favorite herb book!!

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 07:44:27 PM »
As one who's had an asthmatic child for >5 years (and boarderline asthmatic myself) I REALLY wish there was an alternative. 

These symptoms are caused for different reason's for each person. HB is correct that dairy can be a huge cause of asthma. My son is allergic to dairy so gets absolutely NONE. We're still working on the root cause  ::)  Since your husband only has these symptoms in the winter, I would guess that going no dairy wouldn't help too much.

My asthma sometimes flares up in very cold weather (Dec&Jan) My thoughts are to try some different herbs with him to see what helps. The ABC Herbal book is a good reference. Although it is written for children the same treatments could apply for adults. Your local health food store should have a book about what herbs help asthma and describe what the herb does specifically. Some I've tried are Lobelia, Cherry Bark Blend, and Nettle. Another thing that helps to get the phlem out of lungs during a cold is raw honey from a local bee keeper (not the pasteurized stuff in the store). It may also help with asthma.   

Unfortunately, Albuterol is hard to replace without the root cause of the asthma being healed in the body.  Is there a naturopathic Dr. near you?
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 07:36:16 AM »
Thanks. I will look into the herbs. I'm not sure if there is a naturopathic Dr. close or not. We are pretty rural and limited on doctors and stores. Do you just take a spoonful of the raw honey as needed or add it to something?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 06:21:13 AM »
Thanks. I will look into the herbs. I'm not sure if there is a naturopathic Dr. close or not. We are pretty rural and limited on doctors and stores. Do you just take a spoonful of the raw honey as needed or add it to something?

Take it as you like it as long as you keep it raw.  For example, pour it over your cooked oatmeal in the bowl, but not in the pot of boiling oatmeal.

Local honey is the key - the local bees used the local flowers with the local allergens and this honey is specificly designed for your local plants.  My honey here in SE MN won't be as effective for the folks in NE Ohio as NE Ohio honey and so on....

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 06:43:54 AM »
Eucalyptus oil!

(No joke. I mean it.)

Just try it for a few days. Have him inhale Euc. Globulus essential oil from a clean cloth, an inhaler, a steamer, or just a bowl of hot water. The key is to really inhale it. Deep breathes are good (but you know, don't let him get dizzy.)

It works wonders. (Obviously. It's what bunches of cough/chest/throat etc. remedies were made from until like...the 20th century.)

Tried and true. I've read of several cases where people have used it (with nothing else) to treat Pneumonia and other infections. It sounds so simple, I know. But we need a little more "simple" sometimes.  8)

Even if you are using another form of treatment, using Eucalyptus oil in addition will help a lot.

(Also, be sure to cut OUT the sugar, and crank up the garlic intake! ;))
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:45:29 AM by ALittleMore »

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I just need to convince my husband to try them now!

Liese ;)

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 03:58:53 AM »
The 2 that usually work for me when I get short of breath is either a cup of coffee, or smelling vicks (eucalyptus LOL)   The coffee has been a home remedy for asthmatics as well albeit not the best.  The coffee only helps with the attack though.  Somehing about the heat and the caffene helps the bloodvessels to expand again.  Not sure, but I know it works.   :)  I drnk it with sugar, but from what I have been told, the blacker thebetter reults.

Offline cbrownell

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 07:09:07 PM »
Okay, this will make your house smell funky, but it works. 

Cut an onion and put it where you would inhale the fumes.  Like, on the night stand or pillow. 

Really, it works!!  My husb. cannot sleep with a single child coughing one time, so I have to do something.  He even tried it, he was convinced it worked. 

But, again, your room will smell lke onion!!!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:45:50 AM »
I along with all four of my children have asthma.  We've been off all meds for 4 years now.  I use the eucalyptus oil on a clean cloth and have them breathe that throughout the day.  I even have them keep it with them during the night.

I also use onion packs.  I slice an onion into thick slices and put them in a clean hand towel.  I put this on their chest and put a hot water bottle (a heating pad would also work) on top and cover them with a blanket.  I do this several times a day if needed.  Although, once usually does the trick.

Before bed I give them onion syrup.  This is made by placing onion slices in honey and letting them sit for several hours.  One teaspoon before bed gets rid of the cough.

HTH!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 04:57:06 AM »
My DH has me use a few drops of peppermint, tea tree, and eucalyptus oils in steaming water.  It helps open the bronchii a lot.  And a spoon full of honey helps when I am coughing.  I got pneumonia a lot as a kid, and asthma (from panic attacks) starting my freshman year of college.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
Eucalyptus oil!
(No joke. I mean it.)

I was going to say the same thing.  Have an older son with asthma since he was very young.  Am trying to get him to try this.  A younger son had an attack a couple weeks back, from cat allergies, and I tried it on him.  Put about 10 drops on a washcloth and set it in the shower, he steamed himself with that in there for a while.  Then I put more on a dampwashcloth and he slept with it beside is face in bed.  He was fine in the morning.

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »
Haven't we discussed lobelia somewhere as an aid to asthmatics?  ALittleMore? 

Offline sevenfold

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 07:40:32 PM »
To clear up head and or chest congestion you might try the following. Alcohol denatures proteins. Viruses and baceria have protein shells that are susceptible to alcohol when used this way. I am not a medical pro, and so this should in no way be construed as a prescription or anything else. It is solely here for your entertainment and information. This is just what we do and it helps us.

First, grab a glass of very warm water and add a teaspoonful of salt. dissolve it well. Snort some of this salt solution, the warmer you can take it the better. This will clear out your sinuses and cause them to start flowing.

Second, get a mouthwsh with at least 14% alcohol, I think listerine and cepacol brands have 21%.  Put a couple of Tablespoons of it in a pan with 5 or 10 drops of tea tree oil, heat it to just simmering, and then with a towel over your head, breath in thru your nose and out through your mouth. This will bring at least temporary relief. tea tree oil is a good antiseptic , antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial. It is not as strong as some modern antibiotics, but it was used by the aborigines to relief their colds.  Even the tea tree oil alone, without the alcohol should help relieve the congestion. One of tea tree oils components is eucalyptol, the same thing found in eucalyptus oil.

Please do not drink tea tree oil,  it can be toxic when taken internally in amounts greater than you might find on a q-tip. The aborigines did indeed drink tea made with tea tree leaves, but it takes about 2500 pounds of leaves and twigs to make about 5 or 6 quarts of oil. tea tree oil is a very concentrated form of the tea trees active constituents.

Jim
http://www.tea-tree-info.com

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:10 AM »
Dido the eucalyptus oil on a cloth. I have a son with asthama and it works well everytime!
Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

JoyInHim

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 04:49:23 AM »
We've had some good success with steam and tea tree oil. 
About 6 years ago my husband became very sick with a debilitating cough and other flu like symptoms. Our doctor at the time prescribed a very strong cough suppressant with Vicadin. Wrong answer! Ever since that winter, each year as soon as the weather turns cold, my husband developes a deep chest cough which takes his breath away and is almost like an asthma attack. In fact the only treatment that seems to work is an albuterol(sp?) inhaler. This works like a charm. So after all of that my question is: is there a natural alternative to the inhaler?
Thanks,
LKS

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 05:58:33 AM »
You might want to check into Quercetin
You can google search it, eventually I hope to post more info about it on WTM.  I did mention it on this thread http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6492.msg68834.html#msg68834
Our family does not have asthma issues but I know friends who use Quercetin for their daughter.  They haven't had emergency room visits once a month like they did before, No inhaler either. She says she wouldn't be without it, and that she has results within minutes of given it to her 4 yr old daughter.  (open capsule into water and drink)
Available thru health food stores and some pharmacies.
HTH!

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 08:01:41 PM »
For long time help in this area for us is dietary change http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/
For short term, when the essential oils weren't working at the time, CAFFEINE, and lots of it. Sound HORRID but if DH is wheezing/coughing/blood really badly, I get him a liter of Mt. Dew and make him chug it. He breathes great for a week.  I'm not suggesting this is the solution, but it has helped DH in the past.
Lindsey
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 01:22:29 AM »
I keep reading that asthma and magnesium deficiency usually are seen together. You can buy a pricey magnesium oil or you can buy nigari which is magnesium chloride left over from sea water from the process of purifying sea salt. You can add nigari to your bath water or you can add it to a small amount of water and apply to your skin.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 02:09:08 AM »
I would look into an anti-inflammatory diet. There is a discussion thread here on WTM, but I would recommend reading one of the books, Inflammation Nation by Floyd Chilton, Ph.D. to give you a good working knowledge of the dietary guidelines. There are LOTS of "anti-inflammation" diets listed on the internet and recommended by various practitioners, and there are conflicting lists of foods. Chilton's book is based on clinical findings and will explain HOW various foods affect the immune response, so that you are able to choose better options for you/your family. I much prefer his reasoning and analysis.

Asthma is common in my family. I was diagnosed as a child. However, I haven't suffered from it since I changed my diet. I eat differently than the rest of my family. They all say it takes too much time and/or money to change, so they continue to use their medications. Also, their doctors tell them that asthma has no 'cure.' Maybe not, but I haven't had an episode in over 30 years.

Over the years, I have eliminated canned and processed foods (including white sugar). Luncheon meats, cured meats, smoked meats, meats with nitrates and meats with nitrites have been eliminated. Boxed foods, bagged foods, and frozen, pre-packaged heat and serve meals are gone. Over time, I have further refined this to include organic produce and some organic meats. For a long time, I did not consume dairy products. Now, I consume non-homogenized, unpasteurized milk (raw, whole) products. I do not drink milk as a beverage, but I do use it's fermented products like yogurt, cheese, kefir and whey as ingredients in my cooking. For me, I have found that this moderate use of raw milk and raw milk products does not create the same response as the normal grocery store product (pasteurized, homogenized, vitamin A & D added, etc.)

That sounds all too limiting until you look at what I DO consume. I've had to learn how to cook from scratch and/or find sources of good quality pre-prepared foods. We enjoy a variety of vegetables (lots of greens) and meats. Our foods are sweetened with stevia, agave nectar, black cherry concentrate, dates and whatever other whole food sweetener I find. Our sandwiches are made with organic mayonnaise on whole grain sprouted bread. We have kosher hot dogs, organic chicken salad, etc. Salmon, cod, whiting and other ocean caught wild fish are eaten regularly. We enjoy ground beef, steak, roast, LOTS of organic chicken. I could go on, but you get the idea. These guidelines are limiting, but there is a ton of variety within them. AND over time, you will find ways to make the dollars stretch as you find ways to make your own dishes with the added bonus that you don't have to spend $ on medications to suppress your immune response.

I don't mean to sound like I think the 'food police' should come and clean out your pantry. I don't. I just don't like to see people suffering with all sorts of medical interventions when their symptoms could be alleviated by something as simple as a few dietary changes. I've seen too many children on oxygen in the hospital with breathing therapies because their family is convinced that they just cannot afford to live without processed foods.  :'( I'm not saying dietary changes would correct every case, but I do honestly believe that dietary changes would improve all cases and at least reduce the frequency of needed medical intervention.

Just my $.02
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 07:56:15 AM »
Does anyone know where I can buy an  albuterol inhaler? I have looked in stores and on line but am notable to find them anymore????
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
I don't think it's available without a prescription.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 08:09:44 AM »
It used to be available and according to the pharmicist it still is, but when they orde them they only get 4 or 5. I thought maybe there was someplace on line I could get one?
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 06:25:56 AM »
Does anyone know where I can buy an  albuterol inhaler? I have looked in stores and on line but am notable to find them anymore????
I've never seen albutorol over the counter.  And a friend of mine told me the other day that she can't get it at all any more because of some new legislation.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 11:23:51 AM »
The "enviros" objected to something in the inhaler and it has been changed to something "better" (in their opinion) which incidently, changed the price from about $15 to more like $50. Conspiracy theory anyone? We wouldn't want people to be able to breathe or anything.  :P
LKS