Author Topic: Unnassisted home birth  (Read 88037 times)

Offline newcreature

• Learning
Re: Unnassisted home birth
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:13 AM »
Since I last posted I contacted my previous midwife (also a D.O.), and she said she would be willing to attend our birth or come afterward to register the birth (whichever we choose) free of charge.  She also reassured me that she is confident that we could birth unassisted without a problem.  She apparently reduced her rates since our last birth and had been planning to forgive our outstanding balance when I paid it, so she feels we have a credit.  Anyway, I am thanking God for how gracious she is, really a wonderful lady.  We really didn't want to go into debt to have her again.  If anyone needs a midwife recommendation in the southeast MI area I would highly recommend her. 

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #301 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »
Since I last posted I contacted my previous midwife (also a D.O.), and she said she would be willing to attend our birth or come afterward to register the birth (whichever we choose) free of charge.  She also reassured me that she is confident that we could birth unassisted without a problem.  She apparently reduced her rates since our last birth and had been planning to forgive our outstanding balance when I paid it, so she feels we have a credit.  Anyway, I am thanking God for how gracious she is, really a wonderful lady.  We really didn't want to go into debt to have her again.  If anyone needs a midwife recommendation in the southeast MI area I would highly recommend her. 

Wow! What a blessing that is!!

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #302 on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
I've been reading through this, but haven't gotten to look at all the posts so I hope I didn't miss it. I was wondering if these unattended births included not having prenatal care or did you have care but just decided to have the baby alone? I'm 20 weeks along and my midwife has almost doubled her price, which along with trying to pay off our business and other expenses, it's looking like we won't be able to afford the care. I was already considering having the birth unattended, this is my third, my other two were fast homebirths my first was unattended. So I'm fairly confident in that respect, but I've always had the prenatal care and feel better about gauging my progress in case anything does come up. What are your opinions? I'm having a hard time knowing the difference between just having faith and not worrying, but also not being foolish. I would also really appreciate a list of birthing books that you all think are good. Thanks so much!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
For our first UC I had prenatal care with a doctor. For our next 3 UCs I did my own prenatal care. My husband and I both read a midwifery book (heart and hands) I read most of it. He only read what I told him was most important.  We also read emergency childbirth. This can be downloaded online in a pdf file. 

I prayed alot for wisdom, courage and trust in the Lord.  I made a birth outline for my husband to have handy before the birth. He kept it on his bedside and looked over it every few nights to keep important things for birth fresh in his mind.

For my prenatal care I ate healthy, exercised, checked my blood pressure weekly. I had been pregnant enough that I knew what was normal and what was not. Everything was always fine, except once I had a bladder infection. But I saw a doctor as needed that one time and that was it.   

When I had prenatal care with a doctor for my first UC I refused all blood/genetic testing, diabetes testing , ultrasounds and doppler heart palpations.  After you refuse all that, all that is left is a urine test, weight check, blood pressure and palpating the baby for positioning. I can do those things myself.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #304 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »
Thank you, that is very helpful. Could you explain palpating baby's position, please  :) Also, I don't have a clue how to monitor blood pressure. Is that in that book? Thanks!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #305 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »
This website is helpful to learn how to palpate the position of the baby. http://www.spinningbabies.com/

I will have to look up the blood pressure info. but I think it is that your top number should be no higher than 125. You should check your blood pressure in a sitting position - and make sure you have been sitting relaxed for at least five minutes before taking it. I use a digital monitor once a week. You can learn how to do it manually with a stethascope and cuff. It is very easy. But I prefer the convenience of the digital.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline migratingoose

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #306 on: November 03, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Just wanted to bump this post and second JoyInHim- hot compresses Work! Just had our 6th little one, with by far the least pain (very little really) .  Only change I'd make is to have more washcloths and a full crockpot as close as possible.

"Regarding the OP request for what to have on hand.  I have not seen my absolute #1 requirement:

Hot compresses:
a crock pot of hot water and a dozen new white wash cloths.

Have your dh place these, wrung out, on your perineum upon crowning.  Replace them rapidly to keep heat on the perineum as the head emerges.

I found this, with 4 births, completely effective to remove ALL discomfort, burning and pain.  I had 4 babies at home without tearing - large babies, and one presenting a 15" head, elbow first.

Read, read, read!

IF you have a small tear, it may be repaired without sutures at home.  Have your dh clean and dry the skin and apply Super Glue from a NEW unopened tube.  (This is identical to the product used in hospitals.)

My midwife uses this with very good results on minor tears."
(Quote from the middle of this thread)