Author Topic: Unnassisted home birth  (Read 88045 times)

Offline mommie

• Master
Re: Unnassisted home birth
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »
chrissyjoy, beeyoutifulgirl, and anyone else!

We are praying about going to the mission field and I am really feeliing like I need to be prepared for an unassisted birth, not knowing what assistance will be available to me in a foriegn land or even here in the states in unforseen events.  I have had three homebirths with a midwife.  I would like to know more about complications and how to avoid/deal with them successfully.  Do you have any info., books, websites that you could give me?

Thanks!
Jenny

yes, other ways to prevent hemmorage are much more desirable... ;D we had done blood tests and I was all up to par...so that would JUST be in case of emergency...I still dobn't know how I would do it, but we are gonna be on the mission field and the hospitals therre wont really be an option

Reply #11 is my book suggestions for unassisted birth studying :)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 05:09:18 AM »
... In fact, if you are so extremely sick during your pregnancy that you really can't cope then I think the govt will also pay for some home help (ie. someone to come and do your washing, cleaning etc).  ...
Nope, never heard bubs before.  But I don't get out much.   :D ;D

Poor Mexmarr could use the service of someone coming in to do laundry and cleaning...  
[/quote]

Hey, I like this idea!  ;D   

Speaking of a free baby... My midwife said that if I make it 37 weeks, she will come and deliver my baby for free!  The State insurence here will pay for only one doctor or midwife.  Since I will have to be seeing a doctor, they won't pay for me to switch.  We won't let her do it completely free, but there is no way we could pay the whole fee. 

I asked my dh about an unassisted birth, and he says, NO WAY.  Blood makes him quite squimish, and he plans to stay by my head during the birth.  I want a mirror to watch the baby crown, but he says that he won't look.  ;)

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »

I asked my dh about an unassisted birth, and he says, NO WAY.  Blood makes him quite squimish, and he plans to stay by my head during the birth.  I want a mirror to watch the baby crown, but he says that he won't look.  ;)
[/quote]

If you actually are in a position to touch your babies head as it comes out you can help guide it out. This helped me to control how fast to push the baby out. I assume that it helped me not tear- since I did have really big babies.

Jessica
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

JoyInHim

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 07:39:27 AM »
Regarding the OP request for what to have on hand.  I have not seen my absolute #1 requirement:

Hot compresses:
a crock pot of hot water and a dozen new white wash cloths.

Have your dh place these, wrung out, on your perineum upon crowning.  Replace them rapidly to keep heat on the perineum as the head emerges. 

I found this, with 4 births, completely effective to remove ALL discomfort, burning and pain.  I had 4 babies at home without tearing - large babies, and one presenting a 15" head, elbow first.

Read, read, read!

IF you have a small tear, it may be repaired without sutures at home.  Have your dh clean and dry the skin and apply Super Glue from a NEW unopened tube.  (This is identical to the product used in hospitals.)

My midwife uses this with very good results on minor tears.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 08:08:31 AM »
So you are in the US now? 

I have never figured up the percentage for all the taxes here (US) that we pay.  Has anyone done that? 

Yes, we are here on a work visa, and have applied for green cards.  The state that we are in has considerably lower taxes than Canada, but I believe it varies from state to state.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »
How about the recipe? Sounds like my kids would love this. (strange kids I know, but they really like kelp anyway) Sounds like it would be a good recipe to post on the iodine thread as well. I don't know if you get as many benifits with it being cooked so much but your bound to get some & seaweed has A LOT of vits & mins in it. I haven't heard of overdosing on seaweed so you could eat the candy & take kelp just to be sure. I'm sure that the reason kelp prevents bleeding out because of the Vit. K it contains- it helps blood clot. Kelp pills are cheap so it's cheap extra insurance if you ask me. Blessings ~herbalmom

That is so cool. And it sounds way better than a bite of the placenta - - EWW!! I've got a really good recipe for Maple seaweed "candy" - you boil the soaked kelp in some water and some maple syrup until dry, then add sesame seeds and bake in the oven....it is SOOOO good!! I do wonder if you'd still get all the benefits, with the kelp being cooked so much...

My midwife has all her clients take kelp to prevent hemorrhage, since she has started doing this she has not had one woman bleed out. I've been taking Supermom and she thinks that the Spirulina makes additional kelp unnecessary. Just thought I'd throw that out there for any woman desiring home birth, assisted or not.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007, 08:54:14 AM »
IF you have a small tear, it may be repaired without sutures at home.  Have your dh clean and dry the skin and apply Super Glue from a NEW unopened tube.  (This is identical to the product used in hospitals.)

I don't remember the excact details & I don't have the book mark on the 'puter I'm using right now but Super Glue is NOT the same thing they use in hospitals. They are simular but there are differences. If I remember correctly the hospital kind has less cyanide (sp?) & heats up less so it does less damage to the cells in the skin. The hospital kind CAN be ordered on line- I was looking into it because DH gets hurt in ways that could use stitching sometimes but will never go to the ER. Once I get my reg. 'puter back I could post the info but it may be a few weeks before it's fixed so maybe someone else can find it & post it in the meantime. I think I entered "liquid stitches" into the search to find it, I'm not sure. Blessings ~herbalmom

JoyInHim

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2007, 08:09:33 AM »
I would suggest that a 'major hemmorage' would be most likely doctor caused.  Common techniques, such as 'tugging' the cord and other ways of handling birth can cause hemmorage.  Out of 5 births, the only one I had bleeding problems with was my hosipital birth.  And it was not addressed in or out of the hospital, despite repeated attempts by me with my Dr. (I bled a total of 12 weeks.)

Proper pre-natal nutrition is critical to prevent hemorage.  Iron and Vit. E are critical - check with your midwife for quantities.  Blood draws during the 3rd tri. will help her set the quantities of each you should take daily in preperation for birth, along with Red Raspberry and other herbs that are beneficial.

My midwife confirms that daily walkers (30 min. min.) have excellent births, with much greater ease and less complications than non-exercisers.  Walk.  It is great oxigen for both you and your baby's blood supply.

My midwife (2,000+ births) -rarely- sees even a tiny tear.  She cannot recall the last time she had a patient which required a suture.  An excellent midwife will have the skills it takes should a baby be birthing too quickly, before the perineum is stretched.   I wouldn't give myself a physical, or fill my own cavities, and this is another area of skill that I feel is well worth paying for :-) and can prevent disaster in both mom and baby's health status.  However, by baby 5, I was considering it, and my dh chose to have 'adult supervision' by our friend and midwife.  We delivered unassisted one time, and it was our best all around birth experience (the midwife showed up 10 min. post birth.)

Eating placenta violates my conscience and is never necessary or better than the remedies there are available to stop bleeding quickly without drugs. 

The difficulty is in determining -whether- or not bleeding is excessive.  Any bleeding before the baby arrives may indicate a ruptured uterus or cord problem: both of which require emergency medical care.

A normal feminine pad which is wet top to bottom in 30 min, is considered hemmoraging and requires intervention. 

Midwives are trained in reading the quantity of blood immediately upon the baby's arrival, before a woman would put on a pad.  In my opinion, I would be unable, as would dh, to determine immediately post birth if I were hemorraging or not, except by passing out and so on, which would mean we've missed an opportunity to -stop- it.

A homeopathic was given to me after birthing at home for my 2nd child, when I was bleeding more than the midwife cared for, and it was rapid and effective (maybe 1 min. at most).  The interesting thing is I saw almost no blood at any of my home births, especially compared to the amount I saw in the hospital.  After the birth, at home, my midwife has me sit on the toilet for perhaps 10 minutes, rubbing my uterus to contract it.  A good deal passes right in the toilet, and after that, I take the herbal bath.  After 10-20 minutes in the herbal bath, the bleeding has never been heavier than a period.

Hope this helps -

Happy birthing!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:17:06 AM by JoyInHim »

JoyInHim

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »
My OB and midwife both confirm the ingredients are identical and it is merely marketed differently.  To cost more to patients, of course!   ;D

I don't remember the excact details & I don't have the book mark on the 'puter I'm using right now but Super Glue is NOT the same thing they use in hospitals. They are simular but there are differences. If I remember correctly the hospital kind has less cyanide (sp?) & heats up less so it does less damage to the cells in the skin. The hospital kind CAN be ordered on line- I was looking into it because DH gets hurt in ways that could use stitching sometimes but will never go to the ER. Once I get my reg. 'puter back I could post the info but it may be a few weeks before it's fixed so maybe someone else can find it & post it in the meantime. I think I entered "liquid stitches" into the search to find it, I'm not sure. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »
Eating placenta violates my conscience and is never necessary or better than the remedies there are available to stop bleeding quickly without drugs. 

I'm curious...how does it violate your conscience?

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 12:10:40 PM »

I don't remember the exact details & I don't have the book mark on the 'puter I'm using right now but Super Glue is NOT the same thing they use in hospitals. They are similar but there are differences. If I remember correctly the hospital kind has less cyanide (sp?) & heats up less so it does less damage to the cells in the skin. The hospital kind CAN be ordered on line- I was looking into it because DH gets hurt in ways that could use stitching sometimes but will never go to the ER. Once I get my reg. 'puter back I could post the info but it may be a few weeks before it's fixed so maybe someone else can find it & post it in the meantime. I think I entered "liquid stitches" into the search to find it, I'm not sure. Blessings ~herbalmom

I think the stuff you are looking for is called Dermabond.  It is purple and we had it used on our dd. Unfortunately they put it *on top* of her stitches.  >:(  Something that the maker says should *never* be done.  So they could not get the stitches out.  >:( >:(  They were going to try to pick it off so I stopped them, took my dd home, and researched for myself and found they antibiotic ointment will dissolve it.  So I spent 3 day keeping Neosporin on it and got it all off eventually.  Then took her back to get those stitches taken out. 

In my research I found it is made by the makers of superglue but is in-between that and Liquid Bandage that is sold OTC.   I had a website that explained this but lost it when my PC had to be wiped.  I have yet to figure out how to back up my bookmarks.  :-[

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:14:18 PM by colefam »
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline sarah_carol

• Learning
  • my son @ 1 yr
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2007, 01:04:07 PM »
DH & I are planning our 3rd homebirth, attended my a midwife, but I thought I'd chime in w/ another reason that some families choose unattended homebirths.

In some states, homebirth is still ILLEGAL, including Alabama (not sure which others) so it's very rare to find a midwife who will risk a jail sentence for attending a birth in those areas.  Some families in this situation have unattended homebirths, with or without a doula.  Others  have a "homebirth" with a midwife in a hotel just across the state border where homebirths are legal.

Some people might say, in the case of living where HB is illegal, why not just have a natural hospital birth w/ a dr?  It's not that simple.  It is getting so difficult nowadays to find a care provider who truly is supportive of natural birth. 

Here is another good site for info on unattended homebirth:

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/
planning 3rd homebirth, due Oct. 07 w/ 4th baby

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 03:31:34 PM »
Wow, thats just crazy and not fair that some states dont allow homebirths. I never wanted  and never had a home birth but I think it should be legal and open for those who choose it.

I wonder how the amish handle that situation in the states where its illegal to homebirth? Around here not to many amish have hospitall births and when they do most of them go home the same day they have the baby.

I hope they keep home births legal. I wonder why they want it illlegal for? maybe because they dont get the money that a hospital birth brings in? I dunno. I sure hope it dont become illegal nation wide.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 05:20:14 PM »
On a larger scale, I see the practice of institutionalized medicine going into greater extremes where the options of patients and doctors are becoming more limited by financial/legal concerns. In an effort to avoid litigation and ensure medically satisfactory outcomes, unnecessary and unwanted interventions are being imposed on the patients (and their doctors) without regard to their personal right to choose what is in the best interest of the individual and/or their children. The day may not be far off when those who wish to be in control of their own health will need to actively avoid licensed practitioners of medicine.  :(
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 06:37:52 AM »
Surely, it's not illegal to miss getting to the hospital on time.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 06:48:15 AM »

That story worked for me ;D  ::)
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 08:06:20 AM »
It is disgusting that home births are illegal in places. I mean come on, you can choose to kill your baby but it is getting harder and harder to choose how you want it to be born.  :-\
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

JoyInHim

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »
Excellent point!  Especially considering it is statistically far safer to birth at home.....that is what convinced us after a horrific 'typical' hospital experience.
It is disgusting that home births are illegal in places. I mean come on, you can choose to kill your baby but it is getting harder and harder to choose how you want it to be born.  :-\

JoyInHim

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »
Eating human flesh?  Eating my own blood?
I need to explain??   ???

JoyInHim

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 07:48:56 AM »
Some of us already push that envelope, lol!

::)

On a larger scale, I see the practice of institutionalized medicine going into greater extremes where the options of patients and doctors are becoming more limited by financial/legal concerns. In an effort to avoid litigation and ensure medically satisfactory outcomes, unnecessary and unwanted interventions are being imposed on the patients (and their doctors) without regard to their personal right to choose what is in the best interest of the individual and/or their children. The day may not be far off when those who wish to be in control of their own health will need to actively avoid licensed practitioners of medicine.  :(

JoyInHim

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »
Oh dear!

Was that a doctor that did that....?

(We go to my Mom to have stitches removed!)

It is purple and we had it used on our dd. Unfortunately they put it *on top* of her stitches.  >:(  Something that the maker says should *never* be done.
Hope this helps.

JoyInHim

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
I love how you think HB.......I'm too rebellious to have 'gone' AFTER the baby was born, either, lol!  (Over dh's dead body after our one hospital experience).

JoyInHim

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 07:57:14 AM »
Congratulations Sarah!  How wonderful! 

We had considered an unassisted h.b., I was fine with that...but dh wanted, as he calls it, adult supervision  ;D

Our midwife is a very good friend, too, and she proved herself an amazing addition to my experience each and every time.  I think I'd have been fine without her, but I think having her there made it like being a Princess ; )   Not only her prenatal and nutritional guidance (which was excellent and specific to me), but waiting on me, preparing our herbal bath, seeing that everything is taken care of, my every little whim during labor and delivery.....ah, definitely -wonderful!-

DH & I are planning our 3rd homebirth, attended my a midwife, but I thought I'd chime in w/ another reason that some families choose unattended homebirths.

In some states, homebirth is still ILLEGAL, including Alabama (not sure which others) so it's very rare to find a midwife who will risk a jail sentence for attending a birth in those areas.  Some families in this situation have unattended homebirths, with or without a doula.  Others  have a "homebirth" with a midwife in a hotel just across the state border where homebirths are legal.

Some people might say, in the case of living where HB is illegal, why not just have a natural hospital birth w/ a dr?  It's not that simple.  It is getting so difficult nowadays to find a care provider who truly is supportive of natural birth. 

Here is another good site for info on unattended homebirth:

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »
Eating human flesh?  Eating my own blood?
I need to explain??   ???

I never thought of the placenta as being my own flesh...hmmm....we are all totally entitled to our own opinion, I guess I am curious if I'm missing some medical info here...how did you come to the conclusion that it is flesh...maybe that is a totally stupid question on my end and I'm missing something huge. You don't have to explain if you don't want to....I'm just missing something apparently?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
Chrissy Joy-  I am not 100 % sure about the placenta thing, but I read on the MotheringDotcommune forums that one mom put it that wasn't it like any other by product of her body like breastmilk, ect?  It isn't "a being" it is just a organ.  I'm having mixed feelings.  At first I thought it was fine, then Im not sure?

Any input would be appriciated!!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
As far as the "eating the placenta" thing goes.....I'm in the middle.  I personally could never eat it but it was offered to me after my home birth to dehydrate it and encapsulate it and get all those good vitamins and nutrients back into your body.  It's been proven somewhere that it helps with post partum depression too.  I considered it because of my circumstances at the time. 

Of course, after 3 years my placenta is still in the freezer.....we plan on planting a tree with it once I decide on which tree to plant.  Now that our child is old enough to pick one out herself, I figure we'll plant her tree with the placenta she got nutrients from at the home she was born in.  Good memories....
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 03:31:34 PM »
I feel that there must be a really good reason that the placenta has live-saving properties...it seems God created it to be so. Of course it's wonderful that in our day and age that we know how to prevent hemorrhage and we have other things at our disposal to help us but believe me, if I was in a situation where I had to eat a piece of placenta or die, I would eat the placenta. No question. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I think we should be careful about making a broad generalization. Maybe you might not ever be in a position to eat a piece of placenta, but there are others (third world countries perhaps?) where it could mean life or death.

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 03:33:27 PM »
I think I'm the same as you AllinHistime and KatieMac - I can't see myself ever needing to do it (eating the placenta) but if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with no medical help and I had just given birth and was bleeding dangerously then I would eat the placenta.  It's just one more absolutely amazing thing in our bodies that has been created with multiple purposes - one of them being that it stops your bleeding.  However, to me it does sound rather gross so if I was in a hospital and the option for stopping the bleeding was drugs or the placenta I think I would choose the drugs.
There are quite a few animals that eat the placenta - it removes trace of the birth from predators but I'm sure that the physiological reasons are also part of it (not that I actually think the animals have thought these reasons out themselves...it's just they way they were made).  
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »
 yeah, I'm definately not a placenta soup eater!  :P personal choice not moral conviction...but more the idea for the emergency end of things, the idea from mothering commune makes sense...its something that sustained the baby, not the baby. i just thought maybe I was missing something. i think there are verses in the bible giving a negative conatation to eating after birth if I remember correctly...which i would assume would be placenta...but no thou shall not eat from what i remember...just wondering if i was missing something cause I would eat a bite of it if absolutely necssary ( hoping I could get it down) while I certainly wouldn't eat my child if it was life or death for me... so was curious

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »
I will defenitly agree with the above 4 posts.  If I had to, I would!  But just doing it otherwise?  Im not sure I could even stomach the idea of it!!  But you never know...