Author Topic: Do I Need A Tetanus Shot? Preventative [Vaccinations] & Injuries  (Read 122104 times)

Offline mrswiggs

• Wide Eyed
Re: Do I Need A Tetanus Shot? Preventative [Vaccinations] & Injuries
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2007, 09:43:11 PM »
My daughter is 16.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »
My mom got us a few immunizations when we kids were that age, one of which was tetnus (thanks to my tom-boy sister who kept hurting herself!) and we were all fine. Of course everyone is different, but I think it would be ok. I would just push the garlic and other immune boosters for a couple weeks. Hope you are able to find your answers soon!
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2007, 04:50:04 AM »
I'm sure you've sought your husband's opinion and that you're both praying about this decision. You need to go w/ what he says, of course, but if he counts on you to research these things and present your findings to him, like my hubby does, you might find this interesting:

VACCINATIONS AND CHILDREN

You may find some value in this article. Tetanus is mentioned at the bottom, under "Some Horse-sense about Tetanus."

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2007, 07:02:22 AM »
When my son stepped on a rusty nail (I know, I know, different than being around horses, but...) I researched a TON trying to figure out what to do! Everything I found was that it was very rare to actually get tetanus and keep it clean with epsom salt soaks, etc. We did this and hydrogen peroxide everyday (and some eden salve from Shoshonna Garden) and he was fine! BUT--- I will say right after it happened I was panicked and we rushed to the hospital (the nail went in his calf area prob  1 1/2 - 2 " deep) because I was freaked out! After going in the er and realizing that he would have to get shots, etc -- we went home and took care of it ourselves. I know you had to get stitches so your situation is different, but my point is (I'm rambling I know!) is that in the heat of the moment I freaked out bc the situation was so scary - after I prayed about it and went home and researched, I was very at peace with the situation. So you do what you feel is right. After some sincere prayer I believe God will either put your heart at ease about the situation or lead you to get the vaccination. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Offline Eglantine

• Learning
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2007, 07:18:57 AM »
My understanding is that tetanus can only survive in an AN-aerobic environment such as a puncture. Punctures can also be more difficult to clean out. Since this is a gash and has been cleaned well - I'm assuming since she was seen at the hospital- I would follow up with Epsom salt soaks and then make sure it dries out well each time. If it must be bandaged during the day, I would remove the bandage at night at least so it could air out while she's sleeping. Or maybe just a single layer of gauze if you have a concern about fuzz and dust and stuff. I've understood that a dry, clean environment where air can circulate is not tetanus friendly.

Anytime there is a sign of infection I soak the area in activated charcoal water as well. That is wonderful stuff - draws it right out.

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2007, 07:27:33 AM »
I just had to post my story about my 20 mo old son falling on a nail and say a big THANK YOU to everyone and their great advice!
  My sister and BIL just bought a house and we were helping them fix it up and do some minor remodeling. My 20 mo old son was walking around the room we were working in and out of the corner of my eye I saw him sit down.... then he started screaming......I knew something was really wrong and my hubby and I rushed to him and reached him at the same time. I picked him up and 2 metal junction boxes were dangling from his leg....by a nail!! The nail was in his calf 1.5 - 2 inches deep! We had knocked out a small wall and the boxes were lying on the ground....somehow when he sat down it went right through his leg...it was horrifying!! ugh! I think the worse thing was picking him up and seeing the heavy boxes hanging off his little leg!! AAAHHHH! My dh slowly pulled it out and we grabbed my daughter and rushed little brother to the ER. We were so scared because of how big the nail was and the area of his leg, we weren't sure if it had damaged muscles, etc...I called my mom and she was very worried and thought I should definitely get him a tetanus shot ---- so we go in the ER and of course when they find out he's not vaccinated it was a huge deal -   and everyone in there acted like we were the worse parents on the planet.....so dh decided we'd go home and clean it out and look at it and decide if he needed medical assistance. I immediately cleaned it out with my natural soap and water and let him nurse to comfort him. I came to welltellme and did a search --- and here was this thread! On the way home I said a prayer asking God to give me wisdom to know what to do and this website was such a blessing! I got to read all of your stories and the more I researched the more confident I felt that I could handle this situation with no help. We did Epsom salt soaks in the bath and hydrogen peroxide for several days. I would occasionally wrap it and put some Eden Salve from Shoshanna Garden on it to help it heal and ease the pain. We watched closely for infection and made sure it stayed clean. He could hardly walk on it the next 2 days!

It healed wonderfully and there is just a small scar there now! In the heat of the moment things can be so scary, esp for someone raised going to the dr and taking medicine, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice -- just thought I'd post another successful story of a baby falling on a rusty nail with no vaccinations and he (surprise surprise) DIDN'T get tatanus or lock jaw! ha ha! ;D

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
My 11 year old dd did step on an old rusty horse shoe nail that was still
stuck in the horseshoe!!!  She was in a very active pasture with horses and cows. :o   We did not get her the tetanus shot.  Here is what I posted in the Vaccinations:Do or Don't thread:

On a side note, my daughter just two weeks ago was walking barefoot out in the pasture, (one of those brainless moments ) she said her feet were hot , when she stepped on a horse shoe with a rusty nail still attached to it and it of course went up into her foot.  My first reaction was to panic, but we treated it with tea tree oil and goot and I made her eat a whole clove of garlic every night for a week.   She never had any problems, the wound healed up. 

HTH
mauimom

Offline lvg4him

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »
OH I hope I spelled that right. I know i did not in the search and it asked me if II meant to search according to the correct spelling and now I have forgotten it.

Anyways, my 7yr DD stepped on metal and it went right into her foot. IT was NOT rusted, but you always worry about tetanus. WE do not vaccinate, so of course now I am extra worried.

How to treat the wound now so it does not get tetanus (is that possible)? Do I need to worry since it was not rusted?

ANY advice would be great. Also, I have no herbs or anything on hand. I usually buy as I need. What is something I should have on hand in the future should this happen again (it seems this is always happening at our house)??

I made sure to let it bleed and bleed to wash out any possible infection. IT really is just like maybe two or three needle heads punctured her foot. It did not bleed much, but at least it bleed some (not more than a tsp). I washed it too (mostly with just water).

Thanks for advice on this. As I said, it seems to happen at least tree times a year. I usually do not panic, but this was bigger than a small little poke.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
Can you go outside and pick some plantain?

Em

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
Check out these threads for more information on tetanus. 

If it were my child, and if there was no cow or horse manure in the area, I would be satisfied with a bleeding wound and washing it out real well. 

HTH

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13493.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3511.0.html
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »
Thank you Lord for Welltellme!!! 

Our 11 yo son just came in from sledding outside down a small hill that ended at a fence.  We don't get snow in Washington all that often, so when we do, our kids are gung ho.    :D

Well, as he came to the end of the hill to the fence, his hand hit a nail!   :o  We are not on farm land, just a regular american nieghborhood.  ;D 

I have never had to deal with this, but this thread has helped IMMENSELY!!
Thank you all who posted here with their advice.
We prayed for ds and asked God for wisdom and healing.  Then
Hubby cleaned it with iodine right off the bat, then neosporin and a bandage while I researched here.
Then we gave him some o.j. with homemade immune booster (shoshanna's) and two drops of grapefruit seed crush in it. 

Then soaked it in epsom salts for 1/2 hour.  We put some miracle salve on it (from beeyoutiful) too.

I have some grapefruit seed crush (beeyoutiful) and wondered if anyone knows if it's safe to put it right on the wound?? 

What should the water/epsom salt ratio be?
Should we bandage it??

Dh is taking us all to the store to buy some hydrogen peroxide, garlic and tea tree oil.
We haven't done immuniations and the dr. only recommends a tetanus shot.  Don't want to do shots, so glad to know we may not have to!
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2008, 08:54:59 AM »
I believe you are supposed to dilute your grapefruit seed crush in water for topical applications as well.

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2008, 08:58:41 AM »
Thanks, sarahlarae.  That makes sense.  I would wonder the same thing about tea tree oil, if I should use that topically and dilute it too?

Also had one more question!
Can we re-use the epsom salt water that he soaked in or should we make a new batch each time?
And does anyone know the ratio of how much salt for how much water??

Thanks!!

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
Just thought I'd ask again...can we re-use the epsom salt water that he soaked in or should we make a new batch each time?

Thanks again!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2008, 06:43:53 AM »
Just thought I'd ask again...can we re-use the epsom salt water that he soaked in or should we make a new batch each time?

Thanks again!

epsom salts draws out toxins and impurities from the body and I personally wouldn't want to soak in "toxic" water.  JMHO
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2008, 08:36:01 PM »
I actually had to figure that one out for myself -- it's been 3 days since I asked.  But thanks anyway, HB.  ;) I decided to use fresh salt water each time. it just made more sense.  Don't know why I'd ask such a silly question -- I must have been more upset than I realized.
Anyway...
My son's hand is completely healed with NO complications. Praise God!!  NO shots!  We alternated between soaking his hand in epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide.   The wound looks bsolutely wonderful.  Worked fantastic.
We're so thankful!!

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2008, 06:18:06 AM »
BIG ? here.  My Dr. tells me I need to get a tetanus shot before I leave the hospital after the baby.  mandatory they say.  I don't like this and am wondering what I should do.  Can I not make my own choice?  Feel free to pm me with advice or post here. 

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2008, 06:25:20 AM »
BIG ? here.  My Dr. tells me I need to get a tetanus shot before I leave the hospital after the baby.  mandatory they say.  I don't like this and am wondering what I should do.  Can I not make my own choice?  Feel free to pm me with advice or post here. 

Does this mean that the hospital is as sanitary as a barn yard?  :o

Ok, joking aside...that's a new one to me.  I would question further on the "mandatory."  Is it hospital policy or state required?  Depending on how hard they push you, you may want to look into writing up a formal affidavit.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:34 AM »

Ok, joking aside...that's a new one to me.  I would question further on the "mandatory."  Is it hospital policy or state required?  Depending on how hard they push you, you may want to look into writing up a formal affidavit.

I totally agree.  It's legal to refuse any medical treatment you like as long as you are mentally competent to do so.  The hospital may wish to give you grief, scowls and a refusal form to sign, but doing things against medical advice is done all over and is perfectly legal in nearly all cases.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

cecac

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

I totally agree.  It's legal to refuse any medical treatment you like as long as you are mentally competent to do so.  The hospital may wish to give you grief, scowls and a refusal form to sign, but doing things against medical advice is done all over and is perfectly legal in nearly all cases.

Sarah K

Dh and I had a hospital do that with one of our newborns when it came to the Hep B shot.  Made it sound like it was state law or something.  My dh works for a place where there are attorneys.  He's not one, but anyway, he talked to them and made sure those nurses saw his card.    ;D  They backed way, way down.  So, I'd say just get real straight.  Ask pointed questions.  They have to answer truthfully, but they are just hoping to intimidate you.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2008, 06:25:54 AM »
I think it would best to have this discussed and worked out before the birth.  That way there are fewer surprises afterwards.

I'm interested (curious) in the hospital's reason for requiring a tetanus shot for births.  I can't come up with one.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline elbereth

• Learning
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2009, 05:05:56 AM »
My daughter (3 1/2yo) was out in the yard yesterday, (we live in a suburb, but there are dogs and cats everywhere), for HOURS.  When we came in she said "Look mommy, at the skin on my toe"!  I looked and saw that she had a huge flap of skin loose on the bottom of her big toe.  It looks as if someone took a knife and made a slice there.  The flap of skin lifts up and there is raw red flesh there...There was absolutely no blood, and I think if there ever was blood, she would have freaked out and came to me with it, she's a drama queen.  She was in the creek/drainage ditch ;) for a little while, and there's trash and rusty things in there, until I dragged her out...She has not been vaccinated for tetanus or anything else.  I washed it after I found it with hydrogen peroxide, but she screamed and nearly came out of her skin so I couldn't keep her foot in the HP for long.  I cleaned it again with HP again this morning.  I put a drop of tea tree oil on the site and a band aid, I'm just worried about the lack of blood, you know, to wash out the wound, and about the time, it is possible that it was hours that she was running around with this cut before I could clean it.   Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering, if tetanus is a toxin problem, then would activated charcoal remove it from the system since it removes toxins?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
If it were my daughter I would not get the shot.   We had a similiar situation, only it involved a nail in an active horse pasture.  We treated just like you are, with no problems.  Try soaking it in epsom salts.  Maybe that won't hurt as much.
hth
mauimom

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
My daughter (3 1/2yo) was out in the yard yesterday, (we live in a suburb, but there are dogs and cats everywhere), for HOURS.  When we came in she said "Look mommy, at the skin on my toe"!  I looked and saw that she had a huge flap of skin loose on the bottom of her big toe.  It looks as if someone took a knife and made a slice there.  The flap of skin lifts up and there is raw red flesh there...There was absolutely no blood, and I think if there ever was blood, she would have freaked out and came to me with it, she's a drama queen.  She was in the creek/drainage ditch ;) for a little while, and there's trash and rusty things in there, until I dragged her out...She has not been vaccinated for tetanus or anything else.  I washed it after I found it with hydrogen peroxide, but she screamed and nearly came out of her skin so I couldn't keep her foot in the HP for long.  I cleaned it again with HP again this morning.  I put a drop of tea tree oil on the site and a band aid, I'm just worried about the lack of blood, you know, to wash out the wound, and about the time, it is possible that it was hours that she was running around with this cut before I could clean it.   Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering, if tetanus is a toxin problem, then would activated charcoal remove it from the system since it removes toxins?

I was just wondering the same thing. I was helping my husband move something out by our broken down barn and stepped on a "rusty nail" of all things. I'd been everywhere in our yard today with my Crocs on, so my feet were very dirty, and we have chickens and ducks running free. Plus, the barn had been used for cows for years. Anyway, I ran in the house, and soaked my foot in HP. Then I made a poultice with activated charcoal. It's been on my foot a couple hours, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to have it open to the air? It didn't bleed much, and I don't know how deep it went in. I was wearing my Crocs at the time, and just yanked the board and nail out. It sure hurts, though. I don't have any epsom salts. Could I use sea salt?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2009, 04:56:43 AM »
My daughter (3 1/2yo) was out in the yard yesterday, (we live in a suburb, but there are dogs and cats everywhere), for HOURS.  When we came in she said "Look mommy, at the skin on my toe"!  I looked and saw that she had a huge flap of skin loose on the bottom of her big toe.  It looks as if someone took a knife and made a slice there.  The flap of skin lifts up and there is raw red flesh there...There was absolutely no blood, and I think if there ever was blood, she would have freaked out and came to me with it, she's a drama queen.  She was in the creek/drainage ditch ;) for a little while, and there's trash and rusty things in there, until I dragged her out...She has not been vaccinated for tetanus or anything else.  I washed it after I found it with hydrogen peroxide, but she screamed and nearly came out of her skin so I couldn't keep her foot in the HP for long.  I cleaned it again with HP again this morning.  I put a drop of tea tree oil on the site and a band aid, I'm just worried about the lack of blood, you know, to wash out the wound, and about the time, it is possible that it was hours that she was running around with this cut before I could clean it.   Any suggestions?

This may be a little late, but I don't believe you need a tetanus shot. The key for tetanus to flourish is to have anaerobic (no oxygen) conditions. That's why puncture wounds pose more of a problem.

Since this is a flap of skin, the air and HP can easily get at the area. I would just keep it very clean, and watch for redness and swelling--signs of infection. I do not think tetanus would be a problem in this situation.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:09:51 AM by Mama Sita »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »
I am reading through this thread looking for an answer to my "should I give my daughter who sat on a nail outside a tetanus shot" question. We dont have animals but I am wondering if human fecal matter also poses the same problem as does horse or chicken or whatever animal fecal? Does human poo contain the tetanus? She got the nail in her butt and just worried that it might get infected with her own poo??

Offline mamamia

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »
I tried  to go ogle his name but I couldn't find a recipe for the salve. Any suggestions?