Author Topic: Do I Need A Tetanus Shot? Preventative [Vaccinations] & Injuries  (Read 121134 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Do I Need A Tetanus Shot? Preventative [Vaccinations] & Injuries
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
I vote for rabbit stew  >:(
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 01:38:10 PM »
Tetanus germs can be on nearly anything, anywhere.  It is not just a barnyard danger, but admittedly, barnyards do have a bad rap...   :D

As mentioned, tetanus is associated with having animals or country living.  Places with barbwire, horses & "horse shoe nails" are especially suspect, for probably two reasons:
1) Horses tend to contract tenanus more easily than other barnyard animals, thus it is more commonly found in horse pastures, etc.  (I know some folks who won't put their goats in with horses, because they are afraid the goats will be more likely to become ill).
2) Tetanus grows in puncture wounds (needs an "oxygen-free" environment to grow), so obviously, stepping on wire or nails that have been laying around are a prime "introduction" if they happen to have tetanus germs on them...

Over the years, it is likely a few folks stepped on rusty horse shoe nails (or on wire in the horse pastures) and contracted tetanus - so "presto", barnyards are a dangerous place to visit without a vaccination to protect you!

Our family has done the farm thing for many, many years.  We have all stepped on rusty nails, gouged ourselves with wire, been scratched and bitten by a multitude of beasties...  The only "permanent" ill we have suffered was the result of a DT shot!!!

We told what happened in one of the vaccination threads, so won't bore anyone with the details again, but if you are curious, check out the vaccination threads.

What I would do:  Wash the bite with peroxide, keep the area clean; I would also apply antibiotic essential oils to the area to help prevent infection, occasionally I add powdered goldenseal to wounds as well.  If the bite is particularly nasty, I would likely give a tincture of echinacea/goldenseal orally for a few days.

Obviously, if the area becomes hot, red, swollen, oozes pus, or if she begins to feel "sick", develops a fever or has other "unusual" symptoms... she should be seen immediately by a doctor or naturopathic doctor.
HTH,
J    
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline BigMamaH

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
My dad is a veteinarian and so I just called and asked him about tetanus from a rabbit bite.  He said that it is unlikely, but technically possible.  If the rabbit was eating something dirty or eating grass from the lawn then it would be possible to pass the tetanus along.  He said to keep it really clean because most animals have a variety of different bacteria in their mouth and a bacterial infections is probably more likely than tetanus.  With proper care, you should be able to keep it clean and healing great!  But he's not a medical doctor and this is his opinion, not medical advice   ;D
After getting a sticker from the Dr. that said, "GIRLS RULE!" on it my daughter said, "I know what the girl's rule is at our house!  Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right!"

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »
Since tetanus grows in an oxygen free environment & hydrogen peroxide is H2O2- water with an extra oxygen molecule we always use peroxide on wounds. Soap & water, peroxide, ess. oil, bandage if needed. As far as ess. oils, clove numbs & is antiseptic but the best one for this IMO is tea tree. Tea tree gets under the skin to get to bacteria & if I remember correctly is effective against tetanus. That's what we always use & we haven't had any problems. DS has stepped on a nail before & DH works with tools, cars, machinery, dirt, etc & is always banging up something. Just my .02. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
We just had an episode with a rusty nail in 10yr. old ds's foot.  We soaked in Epsom salt in very warm water and periodically cleaned it with peroxide.  We did this for 2-3 days 2x's a day and have had no further problems.  I hope all goes well and you are able to take care of this w/o going to the doctor's office. 
Have a great night,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »
I have studied this one out because we have goats and chickens (not to mention the other things in and out around here). You will only get tetanus if you have animal fecal matter in the wound. That is why it is something you are only suppose to get if you live in the country, contrary to what the ER would tell you. Also, even if you did get it you probably wouldn't know it. Normally the symptoms manifest themselves in cold/flu type symptoms. Most people never know they have it. Plus, if you are getting any type of vaccination shot they give the same dosage to children as they do adults!!! So you would really be overloading the liver with unnecessary toxins. When someone cuts their foot around here we just do these three easy steps-
  • Let the wound bleed. Very important!! Encourage the blood to flow.
  • Wash it out WELL with warm soapy water.Not antibacterial either. Just good old fashioned soap.
  • Apply a poultice. A good cheap one is a simple garlic poultice
Last time I made my daughter take care of her sister's wound so she would know how to do it herself if she ever needed to. Does that count as school?? LOL
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 02:57:11 PM »
I had a bunny growing up, Scarlet O'Hare-a.  She bit me quite a few times, and I was always fine.  Keep it clean, with antibiotic ointment (tea tree oil, neosporin) and covered during the day (so it doesn't get dirty) and open at night (so it can breathe and get a good scab).

And no rabbit stew.  Maybe some gloves though...  ;D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »
second the epsom salt soaks... I had some pretty bad foot injuries ( the kind you really would suspect as tetanus carrying) in my childhood and epsom salts were my mama's only remedy other than making it bleed which is sometimes impossible in a puncture wound  ::)

earthymomof2

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »
Air air air!!! H202 is great to douse any wound in, especially when there's the potential for tetanus infection.  Also, not covering so tightly that the air can't get to it and leaving it open at night (as someone else suggested) is important.  Tetanus festers if it's not exposed to air so the two best things you can do are the H202 and leaving it open as much as possible.

Sarah

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 06:43:10 PM »
Last time I made my daughter take care of her sister's wound so she would know how to do it herself if she ever needed to. Does that count as school?? LOL

It does in my house. First aid & nat. medicine are just as important as book work, maybe even more important. Call it health studies if you have to give it a name. It's certainly better than the info I got in MY health class in Jr. High. Just my .02. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 04:38:07 AM »
Oh my goodness!  :o :o :o :o You guys ARE a wealth of information!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
That was really  :D :D about the rabbit stew.. my dd said the same thing. ;) 

I am glad I asked here. I did call our local health dept and asked about tetanus shots. They won't be open for shots until tomorrow.

We don't immunize or even get check ups...so I was kinda worried about getting a hard time.  >:( Now I don't have to worry about it.  ;D

We did not uncover the bite last night though.  :-\ We will do that some today. I did let dd off of dish washing duty!  :D She is happy about that one!  :D

And wouldn't tea tree oil sting if applied to an open wound? I've only used in shampoo or on skin rashes, bug bites...
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:35 AM »
And wouldn't tea tree oil sting if applied to an open wound? I've only used in shampoo or on skin rashes, bug bites...

Doesn't sting & tea tree is really good for open wounds. Kills bacteria, gets under the skin to kill bacteria & it is actually MORE effective if the wound is dirty or has infection in it. I'm not saying to leave it dirty of course, but it's nice to know. Once a wound (esp. cuts that go through the skin) hits the gooey, starting to knit together stage don't use tea tree oil because it will clean that goo right out but since that's part of the healing process you want that to stay. (voice of experience ::)) The other thing to know about it is make sure that you don't apply the oil anywhere that you want the adhesive from a bandage to stick to because adhesives don't stick to tea tree. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 11:13:50 AM »
thanks!
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
ok dredging this one up cos my 2 yr old just stepped on a nail. i'm 9 mons preggo and my brain is not working. usually i am calm and levelheaded but i already called my hubby crying.  :-\ 

anyways-i already cleaned it with a washcloth and some peroxide. right now i have her little foot soaking in a bowl of hot water and salt water since i have no epsom.
  i called the dr and am waiting to hear back about her tetanus but you all gave me something to think about.
anyway- what can i do for the pain? i know it is a sore muscle pain when you hurt your heel (she stepped on it about 1 in through right smack in the middle of her heel)

i'll keep an eye out for infection and the red line. it's gonna be tough keepin this little one down so i can keep her foot clean.

thanks everyone!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »
Kittyn,
Have your man bring home some Epsom salt if at all possible.  This is the only treatment (besides cleaning with peroxide) that we did and everything healed quickly and nicely.  As for the pain, plantain will help with that as well the cleansing.  I caution against comfrey as it tends to heal the outside really fast and maybe trap some infection.  If you can make a plantain poultice for her to use a couple times a day and maybe all night while she is asleep.
Hope she feels better and take comfort that YOU are probably feeling for her more than she is hurting.  I think us mommies tend to "feel" more and the younger the child the worse it seems to be.   :'(  :-*
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
KittyNinja-
So, was it a new nail or an old nail?  Clean or dirt on it?
For keeping it clean while healing - I would use socks.  In my house, stepping in some unidentified fluid is not impossible..... or even unexpected.  So I would put on one sock, one baggie and then one more sock.

Sarah K

I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »
thank you all. i wouldn't say it was new...it was from a board in a closet that we ripped out that's been there since the 70's.
    i don't have plaintain...i know it's supposed to grow everywhere but i don't see it in any yard in tucson-i may just half to plant me some of that weed!

will the soaking ease the pain too? she doesn't cry for much...even when she ripped half her toenail off so when she cries i know it's for real.
   she's won't walk on it right now.
  this big wobbly momma is crying about everything right now...my poor husband!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2007, 08:53:41 AM »
It has been a few months, but I believe after the initial salt sting it did. 
Praying for your baby, and you too, mama.
Lisa

P.S.  I can't find any in northwestern Brasil either, so I buy dried plantain and keep it in the fridge for emergencies.
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »
I would guess that the chances of the micro-organism causing tetanus infection is growing in your closet boards is pretty teeny-tiny.  So you are probably just looking to heal a wound.  Still a job -but not as scary as it could be.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »
As much as I recommend comfrey I agree, DON'T use it for this. It can seal the outside, trapping any dirt in there.

As far as pain, clove oil will help. When someone here steps on a nail which happens sometimes, we wash it well then use peroxide , tea tree oil & clove if needed for the pain.

As far as keeping it clean, put a bandage on it & have her wear clean, thick cotton socks & slippers. The reason for the slippers instead of reg shoes is because in our house the slippers are MUCH cleaner on the inside than reg shoes so there is less dirt to work through the sock. My youngest (12 yr old) gets his feet (& shoes) really dirty so this is what I have him do. He's also the one most likely to step on a nail & did about a month ago.  If she's not going to be outside then she doesn't have to have the bandage, the socks will keep it clean. Sock foot is slippery & like Sarah said you can step in something so the rule in our house is slippers only, NO sock foot allowed. Sandals would do the same thing if she won't be outside.

If she's not allergic to latex, these bandages work really well & STAY PUT:

NexCare Waterproof Bandage

You can get them at Walgreens, etc. The only thing to watch out for is that if you put tea tree or clove oil on & it gets on the area where the adhesive will be it wont stick unless you wash the extra ess oil off. What I do it to use a Q-tip to apply the tea tree &/or clove to help control where it goes.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »
KittyNija, how is she doing? Just wondering. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 06:21:49 PM »
Oh thanks!! she's fine. she complained a few days so i would just plop her foot into a warm bowl of water with epsom salt and it really HELPED! she was so cute sitting in her little pooh bear chair with a book and her little feet soaking!! it looks good-i kept it covered for as long as possible-she is currently barefoot. :-\ :D
   Thanks for your help with that.
i called the doc and when he called me back all he told me was that she needed to get her HepA shot!??!  i said "oh so i should just keep it clean and covered then?"
  i need a new dr. :(

Offline Lauriemommato9

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2007, 10:15:51 AM »

I just wanted to mention this great salve that an acquaintence makes.  Tommie Bass was an herbalist for many years (he died about 10-15 years ago).  He was in the Appalachain mountains of Alabama.  Anyway he came up with a salve, "good for whatever ails your skin,".  This stuff eats off warts, skin cancer, age spots and is great for infections (or in the case of tetanus, preventing it)   I use this salve whenever my kids cut themselves, we have lots of barbed wire around our house.  We wash in peroxide and put on the salve.  Hubby still worries about the tetanus, but I think between myself and other herbal friends that we could treat it.  It is quite cheap too.  I bought 12 last time for others and I believe it costs around $6 -$7.  Maybe cheaper.  Darryl (guy who makes it) prices it depending on how much retail will be, he charges some $9 and up because some are selling it for $12-$15, lol, and he doesn't share the recipe, all recipes except this one.  If you are interested you can google it, Tommie Bass Salve, or I can send you some.  I give this stuff away quite often and so far I have seen it even eat a fatty tumor.

I am writing to get in touch with rootdoctor. I am very interested in acquiring this salve. I googled it and I can not find how to purchase it even on Darryl's web site. I found one place but it was for $17.94 for a 4 ounce jar. I hope you will see this as this is an old thread. Thanks so much for your help. I am new here and just love it. I can't stay off!  :P

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2007, 11:12:56 AM »
bump

YoopreMama

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2007, 03:33:37 PM »
Paging Rootdoctor!   ;D  Tommy Bass salve?

Noah stepped on some kind of nail a few days ago...we've been treating it w/ peroxide and GOOT.  Tomorrow we'll do some Eppie soaks.  Thanks for the tips everyone!

Any idea how long their childhood tetanus shots are good for?  I think he was about "fully" immunized by 2.  ( :( )
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:52:35 PM by Yooper Kitty »

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2007, 02:48:52 PM »
Paging Rootdoctor!   ;D  Tommy Bass salve?

Noah stepped on some kind of nail a few days ago...we've been treating it w/ peroxide and GOOT.  Tomorrow we'll do some Eppie soaks.  Thanks foe the tips everyone!

Any idea how long their childhood tetanus shots are good for?  I think he was about "fully" immunized by 2.  ( :( )

Tetanus shots are good for 10 years, Jen
Epsom soaks worked great on my ds 10 at the time.
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline rootdoctor

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »
Hey,
I am here, not around too often, just drop in now and then.  Thanks Yooper Kitty for the heads up to this thread.  I just promised my last jar to Mauimom and am waiting to send it to her.  I will get in touch with Darryl, been a while since I talked to him.  I checked out the expensive site.  Darryl is an adjunct faculty member with Clayton College of natural Health and it seems they have his products(well Tommie Bass') now so I have no idea what might have transpired over there.  I shoulda taken him up on his offer for me to learn with him, just didn't seem appropriate to go traipsing through the woods with another woman's husband in a mentor type setting.  PM me if necessary, that comes to my e-mail=).
I will update this when I find out my buying status...

Jennifer
The above statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure diseases.  I am not a doctor =)

Offline mrswiggs

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »
My daughter fell off her horse while riding out in the pasture today. No broken bones PG but she has a nasty gash on the palm of her hand :( which required stitches. I usually handle all of our medical problems or go to a ND but today we went to the ER and got stitches. They recommended a tetanus shot  ???. I cannot find my book "A Shot in the dark" They said I have a 72 hour window to make a decision  :-\. I know horses are one of the main carriers of tetanus. I also know that there are natural things one can do for this. Does anyone have any ideas, or links already posted about this subject? I saw the one about the bunny bite and stepping on a nail but we are dealing with the real McCoy here HORSE PASTURE and cut???  I am fairly new to this site, I have read some but never posted any thing so please bear with me as I learn. [/color]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:38:48 PM by mrswiggs »

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »
There is another thread that discusses tetnus, but I don't remember the title of it. Maybe just look in the vaccination section and see what there is?

Depending on her age, I might just get it to be safe. But only if she is older. If she is really young I would probably look into it more first. Like your doing!  ;)
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2007, 09:41:15 PM »
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.