Author Topic: Treating Children for Candida/Yeast  (Read 78979 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »
Well, I don't' know what you're feeding them, but if you're feeding them meat, green veggies, fish, dairy and other low carb foods along with enzymes, garlic and probiotics, then "no" they shouldn't get sick from this diet if they "don't" have candida.  All of these things are things you should have all the time.  It's very difficult to overdose (not even sure if it's possible) on probiotics.  Enzymes, I don't know as much about, but if you're taking them as directed, I can't think of any reason they should hurt.

From everything you've told me, I'd venture a guess that they are all suffering from die-off and it will pass.  Giving them a bit of milk and fruit isn't going to hurt them (unless they are allergic), but it may slow the die-off a bit which couldn't hurt if they are vomiting.  The only reason sugar is a bad idea is because it slows the process.  That doesn't mean that fruits and other carbs are unhealthy.

There is an off chance that they coincidently caught a stomach virus.  Some other ladies on here in the past were very worried about tummy ailments right after starting a cleanse and she finally decided it was a coincidence and they had been exposed to something.

Either way, it should pass in a few hours to a few days.  Lots of water and lots of rest and keep using your good judgment and instincts. 

Have you read "Unravelling the Mysteries of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder"?  If you haven't, I'd recommend you get it from your local library and read it for some peace of mind.  This woman goes into great detail about all of these things you're going through.  It's also a short and easy read and it might renew your confidence in your choices. ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:06:45 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 09:36:35 PM »
Thank you HB!  You are so wise!  ;D Looks like I'm doing everything right so far and giving my ds some milk and fruit stopped the abdomen pain.  :)  Hopefully everything will be going better from now on.   ::) 

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 06:16:27 AM »
Would yo baby yogurt be bad  for toddlers fighting candida because of the fruit and lactose?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 06:47:54 AM »
Would yo baby yogurt be bad  for toddlers fighting candida because of the fruit and lactose?
Look at the carb count versus the serving size.  If the number of carbs exceeds...say...maybe 1/3 of the days alloted carbs, then it's probably too high in sugar to be of much good for killing candida--in fact it might slow the process.    Once the candida is controlled, the yobaby might be a good probiotic supplement for followup.  I don't personally know that much about this particular brand or it's quality.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
Yo Baby is a Stonyfield product, I think.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
As far as what products to use in an infant for a yeast cleanse does anyone have recommendations? I'm breastfeeding so I was going to use the Anti Yeast Package for Pregnancy and my child is already getting the Tummy Tune up from Beeyoutiful. I know I would continue with his TTU but could I give him other things from my Pregnancy Pack to help him out? I also have the aloe which could prove beneficial to him I would think.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »
BUMP - I'd like to order (if I need to) and get on this ASAP
My pediatrician will give me a prescription for Nystatin (sp?) next week if that's what I want.

As far as what products to use in an infant for a yeast cleanse does anyone have recommendations? I'm breastfeeding so I was going to use the Anti Yeast Package for Pregnancy and my child is already getting the Tummy Tune up from Beeyoutiful. I know I would continue with his TTU but could I give him other things from my Pregnancy Pack to help him out? I also have the aloe which could prove beneficial to him I would think.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 05:50:34 PM »
does anyone know about how many carbs kids should get?  and about how much probiotic should be used in addition?  will probably use garlic too.  thanks, c.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
When we did this, it wasn't really a matter of counting carbs.  We just only ate allowed foods.  If the kids were hungry, they ate.  They did get pretty skinny while on this diet, but they ate a lot, and seemed really healthy.  Since we didn't use probiotic supplements, I can't help you with amounts.  My kids drank about 1/3 cup coconut kefir every meal, but we worked up to that. 

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »
Did your kids crave the unapproved foods and for how long?  Did you clean out your pantry before doing the diet for everyone? 

I had issues with my kids sneaking food.  They were only on it for about a week and the die off was pretty bad, so I weakened and I let them quit.  Now they are all feeling bad again.  The girls have itchy bottoms and the boy still has eczma as well as his total addiction to white bread and ice cream (that is only available at his grandmother's house).  All of them are starving all day.  I think I'm ready to put them on it again.  Hubby said he'd do the diet as well just to support us all so I think they could do better if we were all eating the same thing.

I would like to give them an antifungal/antiparasite as well.  We have goats and they carry parasites so there is also the possiblity that they have parasites as well.  Any suggestions on a kid friendly supplement since they can't take YA?

I have Jarrows probiotics for them and we have raw milk, kefir and yogurt as well.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »
Yes, we absolutely cleaned out the pantry before we started.  If the food was in the house, we would have eaten it as well.  I explained to them what we were doing.  I told them that they would want sugar very badly, because those bad yeasts wanted to live, but when the yeasts all went away, they wouldn't want it so badly.  So, we all did it together.  They didn't always like it, but they did understand, and were OK for the most part.  When we figured out we could have ice cream made with xylitol, and club soda with flavored stevia, that helped a lot.  We'd also make shaved ice by freezing lemon water sweetened with stevia, then shaving it.  It's amazing how creative you can be, when there's not a lot of choices around.  We followed the diet to the letter for 6-8 weeks, then added back fruit and baked blue corn chips.  We slowly added rice and grains after that, but we spent about 6 months on pretty much meat, veggies, nuts and fruits. 

We didn't use any anti-candida supplements, so I don't have any suggestions for that.  We just used diet and probiotics to fix the problem.  It worked.  Pau Darco tea is supposed to help.  You could maybe look into that as a supplement.  Also, coconut oil is supposed to be very anti-fungal.  We did use a lot of that.

This was a LOT of work, but worth every minute.  My oldest son is borderline autistic, so we had a lot of motivation to do this.  He improved tremendously after this diet, and my other children improved a few things as well.  So, yes, it can be done.  It's hard, and they won't always like it, but you will all feel so much better at the end, if yeast is a problem for you.  Hope it goes well!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Thanks...that is so encouraging to know that you stuck with it that long. 

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
to anyone who is doing this with kids--help!  i am fine with feeding myself, cuz i don't care if i eat the same things all the time, but when it comes to my family i am failing miserably.  and Jammie--yes!  they are craving sugar, and when we go to homechurch we usually eat there, and it's never low carb.  and they are stuffing cake and cookies they know they can't have.  we talked about it after, but i think we are going to have to eat at home before going.  that's hard, cuz we would leave at 5:30.  i have kefir grains, but it's hard to get it in them, they do ok with smoothies.  they are sick of salad, and i know i shouldn't let them have fruit, but have been weak with that and allowed one fruit a day.  so aside from cutup veggies, cheese, hard boiled eggs--what else can they eat that is good and fun?  and can i really get them to eat/drink coconut kefir if i make it?  or is it as gross as milk kefir?  i guess i am just struggling with how hard this is to do with them.  any advice is greatly appreciated!!!  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
BUMP - I'd like to order (if I need to) and get on this ASAP
My pediatrician will give me a prescription for Nystatin (sp?) next week if that's what I want.

just wondering if anyone has actually used Nystatin for systemic yeast?  my hubby is urging me to get a prescription, thinking it would be easier and just get this overwith.  i tend to think that there would be side effects, etc.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »
How do you treat a  4 year old girl for a vaginal yeast infection?  I am giving Gr8dopholis, kefir without whey, folic acid, and I have a kids-safe homeopathic  yeast pills ordered.

Is there a chance it could be bacterial vaginosis?  She has been itching, and hurting, and she has a heavy white discharge.  The yeast pills wont work for bacterial vaginosis.

YoopreMama

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »
Can you use a diluted ACV rinse in a peri bottle after using the bathroom (would help w/ itching, too)?  Would GOOT be an option?  I'm sorry she has this!  :( 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »
Can you use a diluted ACV rinse in a peri bottle after using the bathroom (would help w/ itching, too)?  Would GOOT be an option?  I'm sorry she has this!  :( 

I have heard that ACV can cause a B. vaginosis problem. For me, it did. I used it to help with my PCOS/blood sugar, and I very quickly got an infection.

Thanks for the ideas! :)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
Thanks, yooper!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2008, 04:08:13 PM »
4myhoonie:  I'm sorry this is so hard for your kids.  This diet is really hard.
It's OK to have popcorn every once in a while.  That helped my kids.  I'm trying to rack my brain to remember what all we ate.  It really helps to have a dehydrator, because I made a lot of raw food.  We made fake corn chips out of buckwheat, and flatbread as well, so we'd be able to dip guacamole and have flat pb sandwiches.  If you're going to give them fruit, give them berries.  They're very low glycemic, so not so bad.  Green apples are also OK, sometimes.  You could slice them, and dip in almond butter.  You can also do baked blue corn chips sometimes.  That also helped us get through.  I have a brownie recipe with coconut flour and xylitol if ya'll want it, let me know, and I'll post.  You can break this up into homemade ice cream made with xylitol.  It's a really big treat.

We're starting another yeast cleanse tomorrow.  We did this two years ago, ate great for another year, but in the last six months, not so well.  So, we're going to try another good month of serious yeast dieting, since the kids are starting to really crave junk again.  I'll post menus on here if you want.  

Do you have a good grill?  We make things like bacon wrapped scallops on scewers, or garlic shrimp kabobs.  Grilled chicken and pork are also really yummy.  A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Hawaiin pork, that you can crock pot or smoke and doesn't need bbq sauce.  I'll see if I can get that from her again.

Coconut kefir does taste better than milk kefir, IMO.  It's a big pain to make, though, and pretty expensive.  I think this time we're going to try kombucha for our drink.  The jury's out on whether this is good during a yeast diet or not, but I'm thinking probiotics are good, and the people who don't like kombucha are really trying to sell their kefir powder.  So, we'll see...

herbsgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's infection. :'(  Poor thing, I hope she feels better soon.  

I'd also be interested in hearing about nystatin.  From what I've read, it helps while you're taking it, but then the yeast comes back.  But maybe that's because people taking it don't tend to take probiotics to prevent regrowth.  Wouldn't it be nice if that would work, and we didn't have to watch diet so much!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
I just thought of another snack!  Edamame!  Just heat up and salt.  The kids like shelling them, and they're really low glycemic.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »
How do you treat a  4 year old girl for a vaginal yeast infection?  I am giving Gr8dopholis, kefir without whey, folic acid, and I have a kids-safe homeopathic  yeast pills ordered.

Is there a chance it could be bacterial vaginosis?  She has been itching, and hurting, and she has a heavy white discharge.  The yeast pills wont work for bacterial vaginosis.

garlic works great--it stings tho  :-\  i have used it as a tea douche, and also worn a clove.  both work great.  so sorry, that has to be awful for her.  :P 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »
I just thought of another snack!  Edamame!  Just heat up and salt.  The kids like shelling them, and they're really low glycemic.

thanks, skelliot2 for all the ideas, a lot of the stuff mentioned on the lists is just so foreign to me, especially the making of things. (flatbread, etc.)i don't have a dehydrator.  they love raw veggies, i just am having trouble keeping enough around.  the menus sound great.  i am using the Candex with the kids (2 of them) and it seems to be working, just slowly and we have our saturday night church setback every week.  so i guess i should really just be patient.  it's hard to be when they are so IMpatient.   :-\

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2008, 03:11:35 AM »

Isn't edamame just soy beans? I don't think I would eat soy beans. Especially when struggling with yeast problems, since yeast often contributes to hormone imbalance. IIRC, yeast feeds on progesterone, causing estrogen dominance and since soy is loaded with phytoestrogens it would just compound the problem, IMO. That can't be good for children or adults. But even without the yeast problems, all the phytoestrogens in soy can have horrible effects on a childs developing reproductive system.

WR
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:17:06 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »
Skelliot2...please share the recipes.  My kids are picky eaters, well 2 out of 3 anyway.  It is also really hard as Meme and Grandad live next door and are a constant source of Little Debbies, popsicles, and boxed cereal...lol.  We did the diet with the kids for about 2 weeks.  They felt better, didn't graze all day long, and the girls quit having itchy bottoms.  Last week dd told me her bottom was itching like crazy and she thought she needed to do the yeast diet again.  I agree, but probably won't start until mid May to give us a chance to clean out the pantry and then we won't have to worry about it during a camping trip with grandparents.  I think I will try to get a yeast killer this time.  I did use probiotics last time.  The kids don't really care for smoothies, but with limited options they may learn to like them.  I let them try my Kombucha tonight and they said, "It's fizzy like soda but rotten"...lol.  I plan to do the stevia flavored water for them a drink treat.  They like it a lot and so do I.  It's a nice change from plain water.

Good luck on the church night...maybe the one time splurge each week isn't a total loss if they are eating good the rest of the week...maybe?  Maybe you could prepare their plate for them?

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
Good luck on the church night...maybe the one time splurge each week isn't a total loss if they are eating good the rest of the week...maybe?  Maybe you could prepare their plate for them?

Jammie

hey Jammie--yeah, i just let them eat, and only have one cookie.  it's usually a carb fest.  healthy somewhat, like last night was rice and bean wraps, with all the fixins, just not good for fighting yeast.  it looked yummy!  and hubby said we weren't eating at home, so i just ate here and everyone else ate there.  it all works out....... ;) 

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Skelliot2...please share the recipes.  My kids are picky eaters, well 2 out of 3 anyway. 

Jammie

OK!  Here's the brownie recipe.  These are really dense, not too sweet, but really, really good on a yeast diet:

1 cup xylitol
3/4 tsp salt
8 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
6 organic eggs
1 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
1 cup crushed nuts (optional, but really good)

Melt butter and chocolate together over low heat.  Remove from heat.  While butter is cooling, mix eggs xylitol, salt, coconut milk, and flavoring in a separate bowl.  Stir in chocolate/butter mixture, then add flour.  Stir until smooth.  Fold in nuts.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. 

Hawaiian Pork

Get a 3-5 pound Boston B**t.  Rub coarse salt into it.  Then, rub ground ginger all over it.  Then, rub liquid smoke.  Rub all of this in very well.  Put in slow cooker.  Cook on low about 10-12 hours.  Remove pork, pour out about half of the juices, but leave some of the juices to moisten meat.  Shred meat, and return to pan with the leftover  juices.  Leave on low until ready to eat.

I got this ready on Saturday night, left it on overnight, and shredded the meat before we went to church.  When we came home, it was ready.  This isn't quite as good as pork with barbecue sauce all over it, but it's flavorful enough that you can live without the sauce.  We ate leftovers today, and everyone still liked it.

Tonight, we had a cheese souffle for dinner.  I told the kids we were eating French gourmet, and they got all excited about it!  It's a lot like a crustless quiche, but it's all puffy and yummy.  The kids really liked it, and I learned souffles are not that difficult to make! 

I remembered, too, that we use the grill a lot on this diet.  Everything just seems to taste better when cooked with charcoal, and cheap meat is especially good.  We've had grilled chicken thighs a couple of time, and they're happy with garden veggies like green beans to go with them!  We've also done steak and sausage.  They'll even eat salad if it has grilled chicken on it!

We've had raw lasagna and raw sushi (no raw fish, just veggies, and the rice is made from jicama), those were really good as well.  Raw foods go over better for lunch than dinner for some reason.  I think for dinner everyone wants meat.

Of course, we're doing this now since we're finished with homeschooling for the year, and I have more time on my hands.  If it were during the school year, we'd be eating a lot more raw carrot sticks, and less raw food creations!  :)

I hope the recipes work for you!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2008, 02:30:36 AM »
Question...I started ds on Primal Defense on Sat. night.  I give 1 pill before bed.  Yesterday he started complaining about jaw pain, headache and stomachache.  Is this die off?  This am he still is complaining of jaw pain, but he said the head ache and stomachache were pretty much gone.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2008, 07:34:53 AM »
Question...I started ds on Primal Defense on Sat. night.  I give 1 pill before bed.  Yesterday he started complaining about jaw pain, headache and stomachache.  Is this die off?  This am he still is complaining of jaw pain, but he said the head ache and stomachache were pretty much gone.

BUMP!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3