Author Topic: Reversals: Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation  (Read 83323 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Re: Reversals: Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
  The second, the one my husband saw was Dr. Leverett, in New Braunsfell, Texas.  He was nice up until the surgery( you know, he got his money) and then when it  didn't go as planned, then he was very cold. 

What can I say?  That is who my dad saw!  All I know about him is that my dad was pleased, and now has six more children as a result.  Like I said, it was 17 years ago.

The absolute best OB/GYN who does tubal ligation reversals is also in New Braunfels, TX.  His name is Dr. Skip Rath. (Uncle Skip to me ;D) I will highly recommand him to anyone!!!  He has done countless reversals for Christian women in Mexico as a ministry. (There, they tie your tubes when you deliver, and then tell you later....in the government hospitals...)

How many years was it after the tubal ligation before the reversal? 
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »

My husband had his revearsal done by Dr. Wilson last Oct. There were some minor compications, not the dr. fault though. My brother-in-law also used Dr. Wilson, last Dec.  their baby is due this month!

My husband also had his VR with Dr Wilson last September.  Our baby in my profile pic is our reversal baby.  :)

We chose him over Dr  Marks because of his strong convictions.  Dr Wilson used to be a practicing surgeon.  Because of his strong convictions against abortion, he stopped taking many insurance companies which left his practice unviable.  He then learned how to do reversals from the surgeon who did his own reversal and now does just that at cost as a ministry/job.
After hearing that this was a God fearing man, he knew this was who he needed to go see.  And we live here in Tucson with Dr Marks. 
No, disrespect to Dr Marks, we just know that God led us to Dr Wilson. 

Wife to Patrick
Mother to Karina, Keenan, Kyra, Kainos, and Kemuel
My blog  www.xanga.com/smithzonian
www.xanga.com/prayforKemuel

I HAVE A BREATHTAKING VIEW OF HIS GRACE

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2007, 08:12:07 AM »

Do you have contact info for him or was it back in this thread already? 

Here is Dr. Wilson's contact info:
http://www.microvasreversal.com/about%20Dr.%20Wilson.htm

We were planning on using him for a SECOND vasectomy reversal, but don't have the $$.
(Really wished we would have found him first)  :-\

Offline Sombra

• Learning
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »
Jumping into this conversation late here, so forgive me if this has been said before.

Did you know that there are anti-bodies that attach to the sperm after a long period of a vasectomy?  I believe the antibodies come from the man - and attach themselves to the sperm before the are ejaculated.. and with the anti-bodies, they can't go up the fallopian tubes. They can be SPUN off - meaning that you'll have to do an artificial insemination type thing (the sperm goes into a centrifuge - then is artificially inserted into the woman).  I have a friend who has 3 children this way, her husband was previously married and they had the reversal, but she never conceived naturally.

However, my hubby had a vas for 6 years - and it took me 7 months to get pregnant the first time. I have two live children post reversal, and 7 in heaven.

Sombra in Saskatchewan

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »
I may have said this before but my baby in my profile pic is a Dr. Wilson reversal baby. ;D

From what I know about the antibodies is this:

The sperm have nowhere to go when a vasectomy is done.  So, the little guys die and this material is "toxic" to the body-thus the antibodies develop.  So, the cure?  They need to escape via a reversal.  And with multiple flushings  ::) the antibodies reduce and go away.  However, because the body has these antibodies, they can still attack the sperm if there's a leak in the epididymous  (sp?) the sperm may leak out and the body will still respond with the antibodies. 

I'm sure I've messed up explaining it somehow, but that's how it was explained to me.

Ways to decrease the antibodies?

Ibuprofen and autoimmune medications.  There's a lot naturally as well they have you take like sellenium, zinc, C, Co-Q10, etc...

We conceived 2 months post reversal.

HTH in re: to antibodies.

8)
Wife to Patrick

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »
Here's the post from my Dr. Wilson chat group from someone who described better than I did about antibodies.

Antibodies form after the vasectomy, not after a VR. So there's not anything
one can do about that (except not get a vasectomy). Normally, sperm are in a
'closed' system that prevents blood borne infection from getting into the
testes. The sperm are produced and expelled without getting into the rest of
the body, bloodstream, etc. In a vasectomy, the sperm leak out of the cut
tubes. Because the body sees them as 'foreign', antibodies are developed
against them in 60 to 70% of those who have had a vasectomy. These cells can
attach themselves to the tails preventing movement or attach themselves to the
heads preventing fertilizing the egg. Even if a man has developed antibodies,
these often go away after a VR because the sperm are once again in a closed
system, or the antibodies may still be present in the bloodstream but not affect
the sperm. (Incidentally, a study at Northwestern U indicates some rare forms
of dementia are much more common in men who have had a vasectomy. A lot more
study is needed to confirm that there is a connection and why, but they
speculate that these sperm antibodies may also somehow cross the brain's
'closed' system. Fortunately, this form of denentia is very rare to start with.
Still, it makes one wonder about the wisdom of vasectomy to start with and how
it affects the rest of the body)
Anyway, there may be some others who know a lot more about antibodies. I know
you can have a blood test to see if there are anti-sperm antibodies present in
the bloodstream and there's a test (SSA I think?) that can actually check the
sperm, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you have really good counts but no
sperm

It's hard to know who will develop scarring and who will not. Some drs
recommend high doses of ibuprofen or other inflammatories - even prescribing
prednisone. Other infromation seems to indicate that antiinflammatories should
not be used during the initial weeks of healing but may be helpful later. I
have read on other boards of Dr Marks giving IV antiinflammatories during
surgery, prescribing them immediately (these are in cases of redos), and in some
cases still getting a zero count.
At any rate, you need to ask somebody who knows more than I do. It seems to me
we need a certain amount of swelling - that's our body's way of getting more
blood supply to an injured area to aid in healing. Dr Wilson in one
conversation seemed to indicate that 'scarring over' takes place a year or so
out, not immediately. From what others have written on message boards, that
seems accurate. While some men have good counts for years and years, others
counts go down after a year or two. So I'm not sure what the answer is.
Wife to Patrick

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »

The sperm have nowhere to go when a vasectomy is done.  So, the little guys die and this material is "toxic" to the body-thus the antibodies develop. 

I have read and heard that the sperm to not die, but are absorbed into the body in places where sperm shouldn't go. So, yes, either way, it is toxic to the body.

It is interesting of what you said about scar tissue.  My husband scarred up right away.  Bummer.

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »

The sperm have nowhere to go when a vasectomy is done.  So, the little guys die and this material is "toxic" to the body-thus the antibodies develop. 

I have read and heard that the sperm to not die, but are absorbed into the body in places where sperm shouldn't go. So, yes, either way, it is toxic to the body.

If they are toxic, then what happens to sperm that end up in a woman's body?  Wouldn't it either be toxic to a woman too or it's not toxic for either ..??
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »

If they are toxic, then what happens to sperm that end up in a woman's body?  Wouldn't it either be toxic to a woman too or it's not toxic for either ..??

Sperm aren't toxic in themselves, but are toxic when absorbed in a man's own body, or in a place where they were not meant to be.  Does that make sense?

Offline tonia

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2007, 08:40:26 AM »
I am new to this site.  I am looking for an affordable tubal reversal.  It seems that everyone wants close to $10,000 for this procedure.  Does anyone know where I could get it for a lot less than that.  Desperately looking. :(

Nickole

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »
Check out www.blessedarrows.com.   ;)  You can sign up for funding, but also check out the doctors list and their prices.  Much less than $10K and one on there offers a payment plan.  You can ask if others do - they may, but just may not advertise that.  We went to Dr. Stanton for the vas reversal. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 08:52:35 AM by Nickole »

Offline Mamacat

• Out to change something....
  • Learning
    • My Soap Box - Or a Healthy View
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »
Yea...I looked at that site...unfortunately, I don't know that my dh could be convincing enough to make them think that he thought his vas was a mistake.  He stands by his decision....  it looks like a pretty good program though.
www.ahealthyview.blogspot.com
  Come visit and help bring on the conversation - for those who want the truth and to talk.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »
I am new to this site.  I am looking for an affordable tubal reversal.  It seems that everyone wants close to $10,000 for this procedure.  Does anyone know where I could get it for a lot less than that.  Desperately looking. :(

Don't know if they are listed on the website but check out the Jackson Clinic in Tennessee.  Used to be Dr. Curlin but I think he retired.  His assistant took over.  That is where I had my reversal and with hospital and travel and everything it was $4K.

hth,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2008, 06:09:21 AM »
If you are looking to have a reversal done, or have already had one, please check out this site!  It has reviews from many doctors in the U.S.
If you had a reversal done, please, consider leaving a review from the doctor that you used.  You have know idea how much reviews help those who are considering a reversal.
http://fertilityformen.com/drdirectory.php

burlsgirl

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »
If you are looking to have a reversal done, or have already had one, please check out this site!  It has reviews from many doctors in the U.S.
If you had a reversal done, please, consider leaving a review from the doctor that you used.  You have know idea how much reviews help those who are considering a reversal.
http://fertilityformen.com/drdirectory.php

Thanks, HIO!

I just went & left a review for our reversal doctor. He was wonderful & I'm glad to encourage others to use him.

Blessings,
Em

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
Just an update on the review link I posted:  if you write a review for the doctor you used, they send you a $20 gift certificate!!  They don't have much, but they offer an herbal fertility supplement for men, and a home semen analysis thing.  May be beneficial to take the time and write a review! ;)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
Anyone have success with tubal reversal??  Or any problems from it?  I got my tubes tied in Dec. '04 and I've been having problems with ovarian cysts and stuff.  So hubby and I are thinking about getting my tubes put back together.  The doc said with any tubal reversal there is a higher risk of ectopic pregnancy and/or ovarian cancer.  But to me it seems there are bad things people say about leaving them tied. 

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »
abbilynn,

I am sure my story is somewhere in this thread but the short answer to your question is that my reversal was successful.  Tubal at 23, reversal at 34, three babies since with one ectopic miscarriage between baby 1 and 2.  No complications.  I did have ovarian cysts and perimenopause symptoms during those 11 years but all seems to be back to normal now.
hth
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 06:14:31 AM »
abbilynn,

I am sure my story is somewhere in this thread but the short answer to your question is that my reversal was successful.  Tubal at 23, reversal at 34, three babies since with one ectopic miscarriage between baby 1 and 2.  No complications.  I did have ovarian cysts and perimenopause symptoms during those 11 years but all seems to be back to normal now.
hth
Lori

The whole ectopic thing really scares me.  I know I am at risk bc my tubes are already tied, but I guess the risk increases even more when you put them back together.  Did you know right away it was an ectopic pregnancy?  How did they fix it? 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »
Abbilynn,

I didn't know I was pg - still nursing boy 1 about half time - my cycles had returned and he was about 15 months old.  Anyways, I had a period that just wouldn't stop - kept spotting - particularly after nursing.  three weeks into this I had a horrible pain in the ovary/tube area and hubby and I decided a trip to doc was in order - something was up.  still did not suspect being pg.  The first thing the doc did was a pg test which was positive but based upon the internal exam she said it didn't look good.  Sent me to hospital for ultrasound and they could find nothing.  Based upon tests (hcg) and symptoms we (doc and I) determined that it was an ectopic that basically took care of itself - thank God.  My tube didn't rupture and I had no side effects once bleeding stopped.

I know this is going to sound callous but I really didn't grieve.  I found out I was pg at the same time I lost it so there was no attachment and with boy 1 still nursing and having health problems it was almost a relief to not think about being pg again so soon.  I always figured God knew what we could handle.  and I was very thankful that it resolved naturally rather than having to make a decision to chemically abort.

Personally I wouldn't change a thing and wouldn't let the worry of an ectopic (small percentage) stop me from having a reversal if that is what my hubby and God wanted.  My understanding is that the risk of an ectopic depends largely upon the amount of scar tissue in the tube and how much opening is maintained.  The doctor may be able to explain this.  Depending upon your medical/financial/insurance situation I would highly recommend the Jackson clinic in TN.  http://www.jacksonclinic.com/tubal_reversals/

Dr. Curlin did mine and he was great.  He has retired but I am going to assume that Dr. Rogers whom he trained is good also.

hth
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »
IMPersuadd - wow, that's incredible that your body took care of it and you didn't have to have anything done!  Praise the Lord for that!  I read on Dr. Silber's website that the risk of ectopic pregnancy for the general population is 2-3%, but for a woman who has had a tubal OR tubal reversal the risk increases to 10%.  So it looks like I wouldn't be at a greater risk than I already am.  I go for an ultrasound next week to see if my cyst is still there, but the doc said it's also possible that my tube has filled with fluid at the place where it's clamped shut.  If that has happened, the entire tube will have to be removed, but he could still cut the clip off the other tube and reattach it.  If it's just a cyst, he said he can remove it, then cut the clips off both my tubes and reattach them.  No guarantees of course though.  Definitely something I want to pray about.  Thanks so much for sharing your story!

abbilynn

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
http://www.microvasreversal.com/index.htm

This is the web address to the doctor that did our vasectomy reversal.  We had it done in May of 06.  We had our first reversal baby in December of 07. 

Dr. Wilson was professional, courteous, and economical... not to mention only about 45 miles from my parents house.  He's also a Christian.  I highly recommend him.     

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2008, 04:30:01 AM »
Anyone else have any tubal reversals stories??  Good or bad?

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »
My doc is sending me to see Dr. William Gentry.  He's in Carmel, IN.  Anyone heard of him?  I've read good reviews about him online.  My doc says he's great and really likes him also.  He's been doing reversals and stuff for 35 years now. 

abbilynn

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
The whole ectopic thing really scares me.  I know I am at risk bc my tubes are already tied, but I guess the risk increases even more when you put them back together. 
I was told that there is a way to reverse the tubal so that there is more of a chance in getting pregnant and less of a chance of tubal pregnancy.  I had a tubal reversal in 1997 after having mine tied for almost 9 years.  I went to Dr. Gary Berger in Chapel Hill, NC.  At that point he had been doing reversals for about 20 years.  His success rate is really high.  He explains that the tube has 3 layers to it.  He repairs the middle and outer layers, but leaves the inner layer to repair itself.  He said the stitching of that inner layer would result in too much scar tissue and leaving it is much better.  My understanding of the risk of tubal pregnancy after the reversal is the build up of that scarring and then blocking the tube, letting the sp*rm through but not the egg or embryo.  That might be something to check into with the new doctor you are going to see.

Hope everything works out for you.

Missi

Offline winyahmama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
Just wanted to add one more plug for vas reversal and also Dr. Wilson.  It's amazing to me, how many other women who share of their "reversal stories" sound exactly like my story!   I had researched (to death) vas reversals and so when my dh finally gave me a Mother's Day card with his decision to have a reversal in it, I had everything all bookmarked online.  We immediately narrowed our choice down to Dr. Wilson, because of the price and phoned him.  The phone conversation with him confirmed it for us, as we were both extremely impressed with his answers to our questions, his professionalism, and his obvious faith in our Lord Jesus.  We decided to drive down to OK from MI (with our three children, sounds crazy, I know).  What a trip!  The whole thing was a major blessing!  Dr.  Wilson was wonderful, even letting me come in from time to time during the procedure.  His office was very small, and he works all by himself, but it was very professional and seemed well-equipped and comfortable.  The trip home was a little uncomfortable for my dh, but insisted on driving all the way home (probably for the bragging rights)!  We conceived in the first three months, but lost the baby shortly after.  Now, 11 months later we have just conceived again and are praying for God's will for this pregnancy, whatever happens! 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:08:20 AM by healthybratt »

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
My husband had a reversal one and a half years ago.  Dr. Stanton did the reversal, and he was wonderful.  We did the research, but it was 2 years before we had the money for the surgery.  I don't know who was more amazing, my husband or Dr Stanton.  No my husband was.  We fixed the van loaded 3 kids in it and drove from Kentucky to Arkansas.  Before we got through Tennessee, at night of course, the alternator broke down, and I believe and Angel sent us to a shop that was still open at 11 PM.  They charged up our battery for FREE, then bought us all a hot cocoa!  We made it into Arkansas and at 8:00 AM the battery gave out.  My wonderful husband PUSHED the van a half mile to the next exit and half way up the ramp, then I got out to help and had my oldest son steer.  I was praying that the Lord would help because I didn't know how much longer we could do it and just then 3 men started pushing the van!  God is good.  They happend to be road side service.  We bought another battery and made it to the appointment 20 minutes late.  Dr Stanton saw us anyways, the surgery took a lot less time than the vasectomy then afterwards gave US $200.  We went to an auto parts store and my husband changed the alternator, then we drove home.  It had been 8 years since the vasectomy and we have had one pregnancy that has ended quickly in a miscarriage.  I'll see him/her again someday.   We are still hoping and praying for more children.  We had so many side affects with the vasectomy that he was a little leery of having another surgery, but he has had no pain after the first 2 days of being sore.  I am really hoping I am not as old as Sarah when the Lord gave her her baby.  My youngest is 9 now.  I know he will make me able for whatever he gives and I will be sooo grateful!

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2008, 03:45:58 AM »
My husband had a reversal one and a half years ago.  Dr. Stanton did the reversal, and he was wonderful.  We did the research, but it was 2 years before we had the money for the surgery.  I don't know who was more amazing, my husband or Dr Stanton.  No my husband was.  We fixed the van loaded 3 kids in it and drove from Kentucky to Arkansas.  Before we got through Tennessee, at night of course, the alternator broke down, and I believe and Angel sent us to a shop that was still open at 11 PM.  They charged up our battery for FREE, then bought us all a hot cocoa!  We made it into Arkansas and at 8:00 AM the battery gave out.  My wonderful husband PUSHED the van a half mile to the next exit and half way up the ramp, then I got out to help and had my oldest son steer.  I was praying that the Lord would help because I didn't know how much longer we could do it and just then 3 men started pushing the van!  God is good.  They happend to be road side service.  We bought another battery and made it to the appointment 20 minutes late.  Dr Stanton saw us anyways, the surgery took a lot less time than the vasectomy then afterwards gave US $200.  We went to an auto parts store and my husband changed the alternator, then we drove home.  It had been 8 years since the vasectomy and we have had one pregnancy that has ended quickly in a miscarriage.  I'll see him/her again someday.   We are still hoping and praying for more children.  We had so many side affects with the vasectomy that he was a little leery of having another surgery, but he has had no pain after the first 2 days of being sore.  I am really hoping I am not as old as Sarah when the Lord gave her her baby.  My youngest is 9 now.  I know he will make me able for whatever he gives and I will be sooo grateful!

Thank you for sharing this story. I need to read ALL the posts here. What a blessing and an encouragement. (((Candy)))

Offline momxjo

• Learning
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »
My dh just had a vas. reversal with Dr. Wilson in OK.  We loved him- so professional and a strong Christian.  He doesn't talk much, but when he does, he talks fast (goes over same info. day in and day out).  Anyway, we are two days after the VR, and dh is sleeping and still tired.  His swelling has gone down and there is bruising.
During the VR, dr. Wilson saw sperm heads only in the right vas, and sperm heads and partial tales in the left.  Dr. gave us an 89% patency for return of sperm.  Anyone had similar results and went on to conceive?
I am excited and hopeful.  It has been 7 long yrs. since the original V, and I am 37 and dh is 41. 
I am currently doing FAM, and discover I am not ovulating (boo hoo) but have stressful events looming on horizon.  I started taking vitex and rrtea today (I know, different post!  ::))
Anyway, anyone considering a very affordable VR would be pleased with Dr. Wilson.   Pray for us that we will conceive soon!

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Healthy in Ohio...I read your post (below).  I know it's been a long time ago, but I am wondering if your husband experienced some kind of scar tissue problem.  We used the AK doctor (Dr. Bledsoe) and LOVED him.  He said the procedure went beautifully and we should be pregnant in no time.  Well, that was about 3-4 years ago.  I try not to think about it anymore (getting pregnant).  Anyway, your post and the others made me think about my husband complaining (or moaning or something  ;)) after his surgery about feeling a knot where his procedure was done.  I assumed it was part of the healing process.  Was that scar tissue forming?  And, does that basically cause the reversal to not work? ???

Beth,

I know that the chances of you conceiving are slim, but you caught the scar tissue thing very early. Good for you finding something that works.  Like I said before, we found out about ours a little too late at six months after the surgery.  I am hoping that your hubby heals very quickly and that you will conceive again.  Please, let me know as soon as you do.  ;)