Author Topic: Menses [Bleeding/Spotting/Periods] While Nursing [Breastfeeding]  (Read 68754 times)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Re: Menses [Bleeding/Spotting/Periods] While Nursing [Breastfeeding]
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »
I've been thinking about this one and here's what I've come up with.  It's not much...

You list breastfeeding frequently, sleep interruptions (for nearly a year probably), wild yam and RRL tea in your description.  All of those can affect 'female stuff' in one way or another.  I guess I'm not surprised that you may have some odd symptoms like cramping, tenderness or spotting.  You haven't mentioned cycles returning, so I'm assuming that you haven't had any of those yet.  It is possible that your body is gearing up to start those again.  That would be my first guess. 

Sarah K

I would agree with this. Your symptoms, beppyjo, sound similar to what's happening with me lately- baby is 11 mo., starting some solids, nursing same times as yours, etc. I've concluded its just pre-cycles like SarahK mentioned.

Oh, and I hear you on not wanting to do a test. ;)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2008, 05:29:01 PM »
Ditto what SarahK and lotsaboys said Beppyjo.

I did this sorta with my last one.  It seems the older I get, the weirder my body acts after giving birth.

And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »
  It seems the older I get, the weirder my body acts after giving birth.
This is such a universal truth - I just had to see in on screen again...
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Mrs.Michael

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
Im still breastfeeding my ninemonth old though she is on alot of solids. I have been having sporadic periods  (period, no period, period, two months no period) I usually have lots of cramps. I had a period about 3 weeks ago...and now i am what looks like spotting...no cramps...just a little discharge a few days ago that was colored dark brown...like dried blood and now its picked up to the bright red (mix of blood and other menstural tissue) blood....so whats the deal?? am i just continuing to experience the irregularity that comes with nursing and mensus? or is this something else?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2008, 04:43:31 AM »
I cramped from 4 months off and on until I had a cycle at 6 months.  My sis had her baby 4 months ahead of me, and has had a couple of cycles but they have been on and off like you're describing.  If I had to guess, I'd say that the darker blood is just older, and is being sloughed off first at the start of this cycle.  I wouldn't suspect anything else unless you're experiencing frequent bleeding, and heavy clotting.

HTH!
Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2008, 10:11:03 AM »
So I have a question for those of you exclusively b*feeding moms who saw your cycle return "early." I am 15.5 weeks postpartum, and yup, lucky me, am three days into a real period (I was hoping to have longer to forget what those felt like!). I stopped bleeding at 4 weeks, spotted 72 hours at 6, 8, and 10 weeks, then nothing until this week. And it feels like that familiar feeling I'd so NOT missed! :) But here's my question. The past 3-4 days or so (since just before starting), little bit has been eating both sides every two hours or more, and still seeming hungry. This is after spending all of her time outside the womb eating one side every three and being absolutely satisfied. Like, she never even WANTED the second side when I'd offer it. I started getting nervous yesterday about my milk supply drastically going down, and in my reading wondered if maybe it just had to do with the period. Did anyone else notice that, and did it go back to normal as your period ended?? She is definitely too young for me to want to supplement with anything, but I certainly don't want to starve her!

(and for the record, I eat no soy, an organic/whole food diet, little sugar, but have been taking EPO fairly regularly since birth to help with mood swings...guess some women are just dang fertile! ::) :P)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
 ;) ditto on the fertile part. I almost would not be surprised to get pregnant again while I'm still pregnant.  ::) Ok so that's a joke, but none of the breastfeeding tips have worked with my three. Lucky me!  :P
My baby is now 9 months old and I've been having a regular, fertile cycle 4-5 months (lost track). From 1-2 days pre-menses to 12-24 hours post ovulation my milk supply is low. Then it's abundant again for the rest of the cycle. Your baby may also be in a growth spurt and be needing more- not uncommon around 4 months...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:18:41 PM by boysmama »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
I am certain I ovulated December 9ish and started my first pp cycle today...babe is 15 months.  Isn't that kind of off timing wise?  I can't find my TCOYF book.  Seems to soon.  I have almost no experience with NFP but may to need to for awhile.
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
I am certain I ovulated December 9ish and started my first pp cycle today...babe is 15 months.  Isn't that kind of off timing wise?  I can't find my TCOYF book.  Seems to soon.  I have almost no experience with NFP but may to need to for awhile.

Oh never mind.  I guess that's just right, well, 1 day shy of what it should be, so I was a little off.  14 days from ovulation to cycle.  I didn't do temperature just checking cervical fluid.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:26:57 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 12:44:52 AM »
It is somewhat reassuring reading others experiences with returning menses on here.  I was worried as Shonda Parker said in her book that if only brea*tfeeding that we should go almost 14 months!  After my first, I went about 9-10 months, my second I went about 8months and now, my baby isnt even 5 mo yet(not till next week) and Ive started allready!  What is up with that?!