Author Topic: Tonsiloliths [Tonsil Stones]: Something Stuck in My Throat!  (Read 170894 times)

Offline Hamama

• Learning
Re: Tonsiloliths [Tonsil Stones]: Something Stuck in My Throat!
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »
I had one of the white sores on my tonsils just a week ago. I thought I was getting strep throat again. We had strep three times in as many months about 18 months ago. So I knew that the white spots were usually part of it, but strep always knocks me off my feet. This time just an irritated throat and the white spot. I used the peroxide to gargle and was taking garlic. I didn't seem to get any relief from those. I finally mixed up some salt water and added cayenne pepper to gargle. In the morning I gargled and half the white was gone by evening and it seemed to leave a hole. Before bed I gargled again and the next morning the white spot was completely gone and so was the sore throat! As for the hole it left I think it just closed on its own.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 04:38:46 PM »
I get tonsilloliths too.  Nasty Nasty!

Here's my experience:
They were the worst when I lived in Maine...during the winter (10 years ago). It was constant and the stones could be HUGE. I never saw a doc about this. About 2 years ago I asked a doc and he said it was food. I disagree (could be part of it though)

Tonsil stones, it is theorized, are the result of a combination of any of the following:
food particles
dead white blood cells (a.k.a. "leukocytes")
oral bacteria, possibly from mouth breathing
overactive salivary glands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsilloliths

Offline luvbnamom

• Adept
    • http://my.tupperware.com/RJEFFRIES
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 05:05:30 PM »
Wow!  I'm relieved to have an answer.  It was really gross.  I've only had strep 2 times in my life and maybe a hand full of sore throats.  I have had a few bouts of sinus infection since I was 12.  Now that I've read all the info it was my tonsil duct?/hole? that the ball was in and it was really gross!  But thankfully it came right out and I've had no problems today.  I didn't even think of going to the doctor for it, but I have had a lot of water today.  I think I will finish the night with a salt water gargle.

~Becca
Becca ~ Happily married to T & mommy to JJ 7 and JB 2~

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »
side note: why does it warn you when a topic hasn't been posted in for 120 days and to maybe start a new one?  Just curious. Now on to my "stone" comment/question.  :)

I have them.........I first saw when I was like 19 I think.  I am now 34 and I do get them but I only know about it when they come up.  I know it's nasty.  Totally grosses out my husband.  My thing is I can't see them any more.  I used to be able to see them......and dig them out, I know again disgusting.  Well, I have been on the MC for 7 days now and I felt like I could feel something in my throat but I didn't look b/c I haven't been able to see them for so long.  WELL, I just looked and I can see them on both sides.  Looks like a few on one side and a larger one on the other.  Is the MC flushing them out ya think?  I know no on can probly answer this but why can I see them now and I couldn't b/f?  It's not like I have lost that much weight.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Okay I can't help myself so I am going to go try and get them out.   :P

Okay, I have had to go back and then back to try and get it to post again.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »
side note: why does it warn you when a topic hasn't been posted in for 120 days and to maybe start a new one?  Just curious. Now on to my "stone" comment/question.  :)
It's a preset in the software.  Just ignore it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 04:13:04 PM »
It's a preset in the software.  Just ignore it.
;D K, I pretty much did.  I couldn't imagine you all wanting us to start a new thread when one was already there.   ;D Thanks.

Offline Ritab

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2007, 11:26:03 AM »
I've done a lot of research about tonsils and was told to get them out. I was eating very unhealthy and when they told me to get them out I read a lot about Hodgkins being a problem after out. The surgeon rolled his eyes and said that's not so.  Given most research we hear about from doctors is biased, I decided it was best to just wait. I went to an alternative health doctor...in another state and a good 3 hour drive, but well worth it.

For my recurring sore throats he reccommended I be on acidophilus, grapefruit seed extract and when bad, take it 4 times a day. Also oil or oregano and raw honey will take that sore throat right away. I can also gargle (but don't swallow) collidial silver.  I have not been back to a doctor in 4 years....truly! This from someone who thought it was normal to be sick the ENTIRE winter! And I've had 2 babies since then, which is always when my immune system takes a swift dive and ends me in the hospital with tonsillitis.

For those Tonsil Stones, they still come sometimes and usually after I've eaten sugar. My body is very sensitive to yeast/candida and sugar, maybe just from a lifetime of ME not batting an eyelash at sugar. I will also notice it's worse if I'm getting a cold; aka; weakened immune system. I'll often break out Vit C and drink water like crazy for that. Remember, if you don't want loose bowels, use lemon juice in your water. You'll be surprised how a little squirt becomes a great taste and no sugar needed. I never thought that would be possible!

I used to dig them out, but often found myself with a sore throat afterwards. I'm curious about the theory of nasal drip having something to do with it, although I am not aware I have a problem with nasal drip. Still...the bottom line; build up your immune system and things like this usually shape up. Find what works for you. Your body is telling you to work on your immune system, not take a knife to your tonsils. One of my researches on tonsillitis had said that if you take them out, your body just takes the warning signs of weak immune system elsewhere in your body where it's not always easily detected until it's a huge problem (Like cancer).

I wish I could tell the world this. I still hate my tonsils! But I've come to realize they are God's creation in me (I couldn't figureo out why God gave us tonsils if they were no good or no use as the doctors kept saying). And that creation in me is telling me when I"M not behaving, so don't feel like a chicken for not getting them out. Respect your body. It's trying to be on your side! :)

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »
Those are those gross white/green balls in the back of your throat that smell horrible.  They are actually anarobic bacteria that grows in environments where no or low oxygen is present.  Anyways, my throat has been really sore for a few days and I had a swollen gland just on one side.  Opened up my mouth, huge what I lovingly call "a stink ball".  I generally get it out with a q-tip so off I go pokin and proding all of a sudden a hole opened up in my tonsil with a squirt of puss and about 6 giganic tonsiloliths came out  :o.  The hole began bleeding and has since closed up.  Beyond gross.....does anyone have any suggestions on how to heal the throat and how do you get rid of these things?  My 11 year old niece gets them all the time too  ???

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
Wow that is really nasty! ;)  I used to get these too. very nasty.  I would use a really long tooth pic to get mine out.  My tonsils eventually got so bad they had to be removed.  Maybe you could try gargling with salt water to heal the hole in it.

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »
Okay I just found this statement on this site:
http://www.wddty.com/03363800370854306027/tonsiloliths.html

that I think you might find pretty interesting

Tonsiloliths:

Another reader last week wanting advice on how to put a stop to recurring tonsiloliths, a condition where white globules emanate from the tonsils. Nasal sinus drops and gargling with antibacterial mouthwash apparently helps, says one reader. The high-dose vitamin C remedy, mentioned in the previous query on sore throats, is supposed to work on tonsils as well. However, other readers say forget about treating the symptoms and go straight to the cause of the problem. Check out the ingredients in your toothpaste. One reader says that tonsiloliths may be caused by sodium lauryl (or laureth) sulfate which is contained in some personal care products. Another reader who had tonsiloliths says it disappeared as soon as an infected tooth was extracted. Food allergies and chemical sensitivities may also be potential culprits.

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
My Dh gets these too and removes them with the back end of his toothbrush. It really grosses me out when he does it but he doesn't have a gag reflex. I think these nasty things really contribute to bad breath too. So I am wondering, after doing some reading on Chlorophyll, if that would help. It would take oxygen to the area through the blood, and is a natural internal deodorizer. What do you think? I am wanting to try it. I think it would be nice to wake up to a more refreshing Hubby in the morning.  ;)
~Blue Rose

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 08:00:54 AM »
WoW! is THAT what those nasty things are???  I get these occasionally.  Less frequently than I used to.  And I have to say the sodium laureth sulfate theory is definately wrong in my case because I do not use any product with that in it.  Can't wait to look into this now that I know what they are called!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 08:19:19 AM »
Seems to me that the usual gargling with salt water, vit C water, peroxide (3% mixed with equal part water), or herbal water/tea would be helpful, if done frequently.  

If there is an overgrowth (imbalance) of bad bacteria then probiotics would help restore the proper ratios (swishing/gargling and also taking by mouth).  

Even gently flushing the tonsils with a water pik and any of these solutions might be a good idea.  SPIT - DON'T SWALLOW after gargling, swishing, flushing!!

The idea is too get direct contact with the solution and the problem area.

I would also consider rubbing  a couple of drops of DMSO on the outside of the throat over the tonsil area.  It is a pretty impressive healer and oxygenator (germ killer).  Do not use orally.  It may cause dry skin, so moisturize a little more than ususal on your neck and throat area.

Of course, eliminating allergens is essential, and giving your body a chance to fight the problem (excellent diet, plenty of fluids, supplements as necessary, especially probiotics).  Chronic conditions indicate an imbalance that needs to be corrected.

I have gotten these occasionally and, for me, they seem to be related to sinus drainage.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »
I have never had another tonsilolith after starting on lugol's solution as iodine supplementation and have seen other posts to that effect on curezone.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »
i usually only get these if i have a cold.  so that would disagree w/ the SLS theory.  But it would support the theory that they are caused by bacteria.  I always thought they were from sinus drainage, but just my opinion.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
There is a thread on this, already:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3398.0.html
You may find some helpful things, here.  ;)
You beat me to it.   ;D I thought I was going to get to be helpful.  :D :D

Oh, dear, I am sorry, Pennie.  I used to do it all the time and felt like a thread hog, so I stopped for awhile.  Now, look what I have done.  :D

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »
There is a thread on this, already:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3398.0.html
You may find some helpful things, here.  ;)
You beat me to it.   ;D I thought I was going to get to be helpful.  :D :D

Oh, dear, I am sorry, Pennie.  I used to do it all the time and felt like a thread hog, so I stopped for awhile.  Now, look what I have done.  :D
no apology necessary, you are really good at it.  Not hogging helping.  ;D I just HAPPEN to know about that thread b/c I have had "them" in the past. AHOH, is this called hijacking? Sorry.  :-\

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:06 AM »
Seems to me that the usual gargling with salt water, vit C water, peroxide (3% mixed with equal part water), or herbal water/tea would be helpful, if done frequently. 

If there is an overgrowth (imbalance) of bad bacteria then probiotics would help restore the proper ratios (swishing/gargling and also taking by mouth). 

Even gently flushing the tonsils with a water pik and any of these solutions might be a good idea.  SPIT - DON'T SWALLOW after gargling, swishing, flushing!!

The idea is too get direct contact with the solution and the problem area.

I would also consider rubbing  a couple of drops of DMSO on the outside of the throat over the tonsil area.  It is a pretty impressive healer and oxygenator (germ killer).  Do not use orally.  It may cause dry skin, so moisturize a little more than ususal on your neck and throat area.

Of course, eliminating allergens is essential, and giving your body a chance to fight the problem (excellent diet, plenty of fluids, supplements as necessary, especially probiotics).  Chronic conditions indicate an imbalance that needs to be corrected.

I have gotten these occasionally and, for me, they seem to be related to sinus drainage.

In my experience: Watch out what type of moisturize you put on a spot where DMSO has been used the DMSO will pull anything on top of it through the skin! (I did this after putting DMSO on my heal and putting on a pair of blue socks! My heel was blue for more than a week, the dye went right through the skin.)

R
Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »
Hmmmmmmm..........I have not had these since I use a sinus rinse kit every day.   I use 1/2 salt and 1/2 baking soda.  I almost forgot I had them.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
Right about the DMSO!  Let it completely absorb before applying moisturizer, or even allowing anything to touch the area. Of course, only apply with clean hands.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
OBJECTIVES: This study was undertaken to seek the correlation between tonsillar core and tonsillar crypt cultures and study the incidence of beta- lactamase producing bacteria (BLPB) in chronic tonsillitis patients. MATERIAL AND METHOD: The study was carried out in Department of Otolaryngology from Feb 2000 to Dec 2001. Patients with chronic tonsillitis who underwent tonsillectomy were enrolled, and culture results from tonsillar crypts were compared with tonsillar core. RESULTS: The tonsil were removed from 61 patients. Age ranging from 2-14 years (n=21) and 15-50 years (N= 40); H. influenza (25.2%), S. aureus (23.4%), and S. viridian (11.3%) were isolated from tonsillar core, while 25.9% and 24% of organisms isolated from tonsillar crypt were H. influenza and S. aurieus, respectively. Correlations between tonsillar core and tonsillar crypt culture were 100% specificity for Group A beta hemolytic streptococcocus (GABHS), 86.2% for H. influenza and 81.5% for S. aureus. Regarding beta-lactamase production, 29.2% of H. influenza were beta lactamase producing bacteria (BLPB), while 88.9% of S. aureus were BLPB. CONCLUSION: The present study demonstrates a high correlation in cultures obtained from tonsillar crypt and tonsillar core. The difference in isolated technique may account for the higher correlation when compared to previous studies. The incidence of beta- lactamase producing bacteria in chronic tonsillitis was high.

What?

EDIT; Ok, I'll tell you what was thinking when I posted this (and I was hoping someone else would interpret it so I could have confirmation)....I think this says that this is not just a case of bacteria getting into the "crypts" but that the tonsil itself is full of bad bacteria. Seems to be an infection and maybe a problem with a weak immune system that isn't able to completely get rid of the problem... maybe the stones are how your body is dealing with the constant presence of too many bad guys in the tonsils.

So I'm glad SC seemed to read it similarly.

WR
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:09:06 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »
I would like to modify my position on tonsiloliths a bit . . .

I still firmly believe that these bits of stuff are the result of pockets of bacteria growing in tonsil pockets. However, I don't believe that they are necessarily the result of sinusitis and/or allergies . . . Tonsillitis, sinusitis, and allergies (or similar maladies) are conditions that coincide with the prevalence of tonsiloliths because (IMO) all of these things signal a bacterial imbalance and a compromised immune system.

Tonsiloliths are actually little indicators, red flags if you will, that notify you that you have a bacterial imbalance in your oral/sinus cavity. Normal saliva and/or mucus production will not result in tonsiloliths, IMO. However, if your system is depleted of proper probiotics, enzymes, etc., then the little indentations in your tonsils become the perfect little petri dishes in which these little guys can go wild. Likely if you suffer from tonsiloliths, you will find that any compromise to your teeth or gums will easily turn to gum disease or decay.

What to do?

Someone a few posts up was right on with using a netti pot for regular sinus rinses. Even if you aren't suffering from a sinus infection, it's likely that if you have tonsiloliths, some bacteria are hiding up in there and need to be addressed. This is a valuable tool for STEP 1, which is to kill the bad bacteria.

STEP 2 is just as important: Repopulate the sinus cavity and oral cavity with good bacteria. I would also look into making sure I was consuming fermented foods rich in probiotics and/or taking a good quality supplement (but not just the supplement alone). You might even consider using a probiotic powder and/or whey or yogurt to your netti pot rinse (diluted in sea salt water of course ::)).

Using and SLS (Sodium lauryl sulfate)free toothpaste is important for (I believe) another reason. You can read HB's posts on SLS. I slightly differ with her take in that I don't believe that the SLS itself is the bad stuff. It's just that (like DMSO) SLS allows any chemical agents in the product you are using to penetrate and compromise your system. A depleted system cannot defend itself well against attacks on it's immune system . . . Therefore it is more difficult to get rid of tonsiloliths.

Even if your toothpaste/mouthwash/oral care product is full of completely wonderful items, it is likely that your tap water is not. Therefore, an SLS oral care product could take whatever is in your tap directly into your blood stream through your oral cavity. Not a good plan, IMO.

. . . And, I've been doing some study lately that indicates that a diet lacking in omega 3's and omega 6's at a ratio of 3:1 (omega 3 to omega 6) would contribute to tonsiloliths . . . I believe that on a cellular level the body needs these oils for proper cell production and function and a diet that contains a lot of trans fats (man made oils) will likely contribute to the imbalances that lead to tonsiloliths. These little things are the body's way of telling us something isn't right. BUT this is just my theory based on reading research found at www.cancertutor.com and a book by this same man, Cancer Step Outside the Box (by T.M. Bollinger).

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/cancer1/budwig.htm
These oils [trans fats] get into our cell walls and destroy the electrical charge. Without the charge, our cells start to suffocate. Without the oxygen, the only way the cell can replicate is anaerobically. (They also are very tough oils and have a 20-year shelf life. They impede the process of cellular exchange, or letting nutrition in and letting wastes out. Trans fats are also responsible for Type II diabetes, since insulin is a very large molecule it has a difficult time passing through a cell wall created with man-made fats and not cholesterol

Now, I'm NOT saying that people with tonsiloliths are doomed to develop cancer or diabetes. What I AM saying is that these critters are signaling you that your body is struggling with a bacterial overgrowth that could be the result of a larger imbalance elsewhere. The trans-fats and chemicals you consume contribute to allergy symptoms because of (I believe) what they are doing on a cellular level in your body. Tonsiloliths (once proper changes are made in diet, oral care products and the sinus cavity is washed with proper rinses) can be treated and banished.

If you were wondering about tonsiloliths and thinking that you were relatively healthy, heed this warning flag from your body. It is fighting a valiant fight against an overgrowth of oral bacterias and needs your help.

Just my $.02
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:22:38 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 07:58:59 AM »
wow SC. Thank you for spelling all that out. It gave me a good kick in the pants that I really needed.  ::) :D
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »
I get these things too, and I don't think that they are caused by sinus drainage, but instead are pushed down the canal in the tonsil by the drainage. So while they may seem to pop up during times of drainage, I think they are just starting to show themselves but are not really caused by the drainage. Thats just my observation though and I am subject to error.  ;) :D
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 08:47:49 AM »
This makes me unsure what to do.  I eat RELATIVELY healthy.  I drink kefir on a regular basis, I have no real sinus issues......but I still have these periodically.  I don't know they are there until they dislodge and usually when my husband is around and TOTALLY grosses him(and me)out.   ::) :-[

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »
I got these ALL the time when I was in the 5th grade. They were HUGE!
Now, I don't get them anymore....... well often anyways...... I'll hawk one up maybe every 4 months or so... and they are very little.

So, ANY bit of tonsiloths are a red warning.... or just if you get them reguarly?

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
I used to have these continually.  Now, I only occasionally get them - more noticeably so when I've been eating "freely" (You know - cookies, excess of carbs, other not-so-good-for-you-but-MAN!-it-tastes-good types of food...french fries, especially!)

My guess is that it IS a red flag to return to the better way...

Oh, well.  Maybe AFTER we come home from the in-laws'...
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
So, ANY bit of tonsiloths are a red warning.... or just if you get them reguarly?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that while tonsiloliths are increasingly common, they are not normal, nor are they indicators of good bacterial balance in the oral cavity (and sinus cavity). Remember, you don't have to have a raging sinus infection for bacteria to be hiding up in those dark moist folds. If good bacteria are not present to do their job, that's all the invitation that the bad microbes need to make themselves at home.

There are any number of things that can compromise a system.

Tonsiloliths (I believe) are the body's way of signaling you that the bad guys have a foothold. Just like people with clean hair sometimes get lice, people with good eating habits can get a bacterial imbalance. Your body is a system that is affected by many factors which include, but are not limited to, dietary sources. It's an invitation by your body to do a little more investigation about what is getting into your system and how/whether or not you are properly supporting good bacterial balance in your ENTIRE digestive tract: colon, mouth & sinus cavity.

Areas I would investigate include (but are not limited to):
Conditions/activities which could deplete your system
  • sickness
  • cleanses/fasts not followed up by pro-biotics and good nutrition
poor diet
  • lack of balanced nutrient-rich diet
  • trans fats
  • processed foods (includes all processed sugars: brown and white)
  • coloring agents
  • preservatives
  • soy
  • chemically treated and/or enhanced foods (meats & veggies)
  • non-pure water or beverages
  • etc.
Environmental considerations
  • skin and/or hair care products (includes perfumes, makeup, deodorants, soaps)
  • cleaning products (esp. those with SLS -- skin contact with chemicals)
  • ingredients in oral care products
Other considerations
  • air-born irritants and/or agents that could be compromising your system
  • close contact with a compromised person

Whatever the source, the treatment is the same. Step 1: seek to kill off the bad bacteria. Step 2: repopulate the area with good bacteria. And make changes that will support continued good balance once it is established.

Again, these are my conclusions based on the sources I cited previously.

Digging these things out is fine, but (IMO) it doesn't address the 'why' of how they got there. Actually, it's kind of neat how God made our bodies to give us these little signals to guide us (I think so, anyway  8)).
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »
Correlations between tonsillar core and tonsillar crypt culture were 100% specificity for Group A beta hemolytic streptococcocus (GABHS)

Isn't this the type of strep that's responsible for strep throat? Isn't it REALLY hard to get rid of? I was looking around and at first glance it seems to be resistant to treatment. Then there's the other germs that were found... one of which was a type of influenza. It seems that the "kill the off the bad bacteria" step may take a little doing. Maybe we should start listing remedies for some of these things. Or do y'all think that just strengthening the immune system would do it?

Or maybe I'm just reading this all wrong. I mean the study was done on folks with chronic tonsillitis.

WR
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:26:49 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 04:48:40 AM »
Anyone listen to the CD from Sue Becker of Breadbecker's about not eating the bread of idle hands?  She speaks about the function of the tonsils...Says they are for aiding the immune system and when not needed will shrink up and only come back down when the immune system is compromised and they're needed again.  I guess they're so prevalent in infants and young children in order to ward off bad bacterias at such a young age until your immune system matures.  That being said, it would make sense (if this is true) that the larger your tonsils, the more you need them and the more likely they would be to contain bacteria/infection.  I haven't had these tonsil stones much since a few years after I stopped taking antibiotics for sinus infections.  I never knew they had a name!  Seems like this all might line up with what is being discussed.