Author Topic: The Maker's Diet  (Read 35473 times)

Offline TrinaMama

• Learning
Re: The Maker's Diet
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »
I used the first version and have had great results.  I lost almost 20 lbs, no longer have painful menstral cycles, manage to put in a good days work with energy to spare, and rarely catch the bugs that are going around.  My kids are thriving and hubby noticed a jump in his PT score after 2 weeks.  I'd go for the cheaper book and put the money toward good food.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
This is the 1st time I've ever started a topic so forgive me if I do it wrong.   :-\  I searched for Maker's Diet and didn't see what I was looking for so . . .

For those of you who have actually READ the book and tried the principles therein for the 40 days or greater what were your results and opinions?

What about children - any thoughts on age and ability to do the 40 days "jump start"?

And for nursing mothers - is the 40 days (particularly the 1st two weeks) safe?

Has anyone used any of his supplements?  If so, which ones and what type of result?

I agree with much of the principles and am just trying to weed things out and balance it out before "inflicting" it on my family.   ;)

And last but not least - has anyone actually made it a "way of life" without falling back to the SAD in some form or manner?

Thanx for all your feedback!   :)
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »
Bump   :D
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
This is the 1st time I've ever started a topic so forgive me if I do it wrong.   :-\  I searched for Maker's Diet and didn't see what I was looking for so . . .

For those of you who have actually READ the book and tried the principles therein for the 40 days or greater what were your results and opinions?

What about children - any thoughts on age and ability to do the 40 days "jump start"?

And for nursing mothers - is the 40 days (particularly the 1st two weeks) safe?

Has anyone used any of his supplements?  If so, which ones and what type of result?

I agree with much of the principles and am just trying to weed things out and balance it out before "inflicting" it on my family.   ;)

And last but not least - has anyone actually made it a "way of life" without falling back to the SAD in some form or manner?

Thanx for all your feedback!   :)
Lori

I have read this book 3 times.  I am very convinced that a lot of the information can greatly improve the health of those willing to follow the guidelines; however, I did not implement every recommendation simply because it was overwhelming.  Finacially I am not is a position to purchase the products his company sells nor all the foods he recommends.  I have a budget to keep.  Yet, I have gradually introduced the concepts.  I started with changing breakfast meals.  Learned how to make a lot of pancakes, french toast, waffles, soaked oatmeal, and scrambled eggs & toast.  I quit buying cereal.  I started using less processed foods.  We planted a garden for the first time.  I started using my water filter again.   We have implemented a lot of ideas about hygiene as well.  Bought some scrub brushes for those dirty fingernails, quit buying anti-bacterial soap.  I also purchased the cod liver oil from Garden of Life.  At first it was just gross; but, I forced myself to take it and found it beneficial.  I learned to make Kefir myself after locating a raw milk source, so I chose not to purchase the probiotic (whole food vs. a pill).  Changing the diet of my children is still challenging.  I had trained them to enjoy the artifical processed sugarary foods.  After several months, my husband and I feel great.  We do not walk around with a bloated stomach, nor feel tired all the time.  I also learned how to take periods of rest. 
IMO, if someone has the time, energy and money to invest in the full program, I feel the person would definitely see an improvement at the end of 40 days.  For me rather than make it a 40 day diet, I decided to gradually implement the principles and make it a way of life.  Our SAD is almost completely kicked out the door and a healthier diet is in place. 

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 06:28:50 AM »
What is SAD?  I did the diet with the older book and bought the yeast assassin and vitamins from BEEYOUTIFUL.  We bought raw milk and made kefir and still have a smoothie every morning.  We do have spelt bread now but no pasta unless we are at someone else's home and my boys are teens with their own money and they buy the sugary things which we don't.  They did do the diet (unwillingly) and I modified it to be mostly the third phase for them.  Their acne was almost all gone by the time the forty days were up.  I also had no more rosacea so my Dr. wrote a referral for the vitamins and supplements as a medical need which then got paid for by our insurance...you have to prove that it works though. 
 Melissa
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:08:06 AM by Lovin'myHoneyinVT »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 07:51:52 AM »
I also purchased the cod liver oil from Garden of Life.  At first it was just gross; but, I forced myself to take it and found it beneficial. 

we've used both and the Carlson is much better tasting and tastes lemony rather than fishy.  might be cheaper too.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 08:37:11 AM »
What is SAD?

I believe she is referring to "Standard American Diet". ;)

Offline Syrena

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »

I know this is an old topic but I have the same questions. I'm also reading the 'Maker's Diet' now and I'm curious about the author's comment that multi-vitamins are bad for you/Spirulina doesn't work.  :-\

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2007, 02:27:48 AM »
I can't find my book at the moment :( I thought he was saying that spiralina was good just not a source for B12. Does anyone have that quote or the page number so we could look it up? For the multi vitamins I thought he was just recomending that you be careful of your source. Some multi vitamins are pretty bad. He sells tons of supplements so I can't imagine he's against all vitamins ;)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:40:12 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 03:54:32 AM »
I can't find my book at the moment :( I thought he was saying that spiralina was good just not a source for B12. Does anyone have that quote or the page number so we could look it up? For the multi vitamins I thought he was just recomending that you be careful of your source. Some multi vitamins are pretty bad. He sells tons of supplements so I can't imagine he's against all vitamins ;)

Maria
The Makers Diet "The Desperate Search for Health" pg 101.  He is discussing the Myth that Vitamin B12 can be obtained from plant sources.

"Many vegetarians believe they get vitamin B12 from eating tempeh (fermented soybean cake), spirulina (a type of algae), and brewer's yeast.  Though these foods actually contain compounds called B12 analogs, these compounds cannot be metabolized by the body.  Some researchers believe that spirulina, although a generally healthy food, actually depletes vitamin B12 because the B12 analogs compete with vitamin B12 and inhibit the metabolism of the vitamin."

I dont have time to look up the multivitamin one, but I believe he was referring to synthetic multivitamins (like those found at Walmart) as opposed to multivitamins made from whole foods.

HTH  Kay
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:57:32 AM by kayinpa »
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline elevenhounds

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:14 AM »
1) Are the Beeyoutiful vitamins as good as Garden Of Life that is recommended in the book?

2) Would buying bulk spirulina (through the Bulk Herb Store which is very reaonable) and taking that daily be as good as the recommended Green Super Food from Garden Of Life

3) And what about the aromatherapy that is recommended in the book?  Anyone find a cheaper alternative?

We are also on a strict budget--a family of six--and I want to do this diet as well as possible.

Finally I wondered about medications that are necessary.  I am on Paxil for anxiety and Paxil cannot be stopped cold turkey without bad side effects and withdrawal.  Can I still do the diet while on Paxil and try to discontinue the Paxil slowly once my health and mental state is better? 

Mom to Reinna, Shoshanna, Isaac and Zeke

Offline momofskc

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »
elevenhounds, I only had a comment about the bulk spirulina from BHS.  I had ordered some and just let me tell you, it was very difficult to put it into capsules yourself because it is ground so fine that it almost looks like a liquid in the bag.  My husband rigged up our own encapsulator and it worked pretty well, but was VERY tedious.  Hopefully just a helpful tip to save you some headache.  I guess it just depends on how much time you want to devote to it. 
Hope this is helpful.
Julie
Julie:)

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »
The supermom and other supplements from Beeyoutiful have spirulina in them.  I didn't need any extra. 

Lovin'

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
 If you have done this diet, what are  the most important things to eat?  Should you avoid gluten products or are whole grains acceptable.  Is it ok to use yeast in bread?  How about sour dough? Raw milk?  thanks!!

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2007, 12:52:20 PM »
Hi!

Have you read the book?  cuz this is NOT the kind of "diet" where you just eat certain things or make a list of do's and don'ts.  :-)  There are definite principles to understand.

In short, there are three phases - 1st phase is two weeks and is a detox and "reset" phase so it is rather strict.  Lots of good meats (no pork), most veges (no corn or potatoes) and berries.  The only dairy is basically raw goat products.  No beans, minimal nuts, NO grains.  VERY limited sugars - even natural.

2nd phase is also two weeks and in addition to phase one foods you may add most beans and nuts, corn and sweet potatoes, many more fruits, and some more dairy choices.  Still no grains.

3rd phase is basically the maintenance or lifelong eating phase.  Here is where grains get added back in - preferably soaked and/or fermented.

It is really not at all hard to live consistently in phase three - and the first two phases go quickly.  If you haven't read the book I highly recommend it so that you'll know the "why"s behind it all.
hth,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
Do any of you have/use the clenzology kit? I'd like to know what the basic principles are. Is it a specific way of washing w/ soap or is it a special cleansing product.  ???
Bumping this up in hopes that someone may be able to help. I just reread the Maker's diet on it's way out on a loan for a friend. Interested in trying clenzology, but for various reasons do not want to buy the products.  What is in the clenzology solutions that make them better than other natural soaps, sinus rinses or natural toothpastes?

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 05:29:05 AM »
Do any of you have/use the clenzology kit? I'd like to know what the basic principles are. Is it a specific way of washing w/ soap or is it a special cleansing product.  ???
Bumping this up in hopes that someone may be able to help. I just reread the Maker's diet on it's way out on a loan for a friend. Interested in trying clenzology, but for various reasons do not want to buy the products.  What is in the clenzology solutions that make them better than other natural soaps, sinus rinses or natural toothpastes?
Bumping this becaause I just read The Maker's Diet and was curious as well!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:38:24 AM by Rikki »

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »
I am wondering.... How different is the Makers Diet from the Perfect Weight by same author Jordan Rubin.

In the Perfect Weight he also has 3 phases, and its seem the eating plan in pretty similar. But he does allow fruits, but not any grainy or starchy food for the 1st phase. I want my family to go on a Anti Yeast diet. Do you any of you know if this would work? Or has it worked for any of you?
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
I've read most of the book, but it pretty much parallels what Nourishing Traditions/Weston A. Price Foundation has to say.  That said, NT advocates the use of lard but does not have any pork recipes (besides bacon or sausage, I think).  MD is against all unclean animal products (meat and fat).  We pretty much follow MD except for the occasional organic/free-range bacon or sausage I make for my dh.  I, personally, am trying to avoid pork.  We thoroughly enjoy eating this way and have been very healthy.  My dc (3.5yo ds and 1.5yo dd) get 1-2 minor colds per year, no ear infections, no stomach bugs.  We have been eating this way all their lives so they don't know any different.  We walk down the candy aisle at Wal-mart and they are oblivious! :)

In the book he does push a lot of his supplements, which is kind of annoying.  I used his Primal Defense and Fungal Defense products long before I ever heard of the book.  Those were my first "encounters" w/ probiotics and I would recommend them to adults.  (I think it is too strong for dc.)  My dh and I took the PD together and boy, did it CLEAN US OUT!  We started off w/ 1 pill a day for a week, increasing our dosage by 1 pill each week.  We got up to 8 pills/day and kept that going for a month or 2.  Both of us had copious green junk pouring out of our sinuses.  We did not have colds or anything.  Felt fine except we had to blow our nose every 5 minutes.  Also cleaned us out on the other end.  ;)  Helped w/ skin issues for me and allergies for my dh.  I would not recommend them to nursing or pg mothers who have never used them before.  I would use them now (I'm 10 weeks pg) but it doesn't affect me like that anymore, even if I start out on 8 pills/day.  It ain't cheap, so we try to get our probiotics from kefir and cultured veggies now that we have jumpstarted w/ the PD. 

So, 2 thumbs up! ;D
Could you tell me... when you were taking the 8 pill per day, was that all 8 at the same exact time or was it spread throughout the day?
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »
I think we were doing 4 in the morning and 4 at night.
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
I think we were doing 4 in the morning and 4 at night.
Thanks! Another question... were you doing the 1 hour thing with no food or how did you take it?

Offline BensJen

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
I just finished reading the MD and am so anxious to start our family on this way of life!!  I enjoyed NT and respect Weston P, but -for our family- the added element of biblical truth is invaluable.

So- my question is- what about during pregnancy/nursing? I'm 9 wks preg. and still nursing our 16-mo dd.  As far as I can see, I'll be nursing and/or pregnant for several years to come with possibly no break in between!  ;D  Any hope that I can detox my body??  I'm especially interested because in my last preg I had serious gallbladder issues (enough to induce labor :o)

It grosses me out to think of all the toxins and parasites living in me.  What's a preggo/nursing mama to do? 

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
I just finished reading the MD and am so anxious to start our family on this way of life!!  I enjoyed NT and respect Weston P, but -for our family- the added element of biblical truth is invaluable.

So- my question is- what about during pregnancy/nursing? I'm 9 wks preg. and still nursing our 16-mo dd.  As far as I can see, I'll be nursing and/or pregnant for several years to come with possibly no break in between!  ;D  Any hope that I can detox my body??  I'm especially interested because in my last preg I had serious gallbladder issues (enough to induce labor :o)

It grosses me out to think of all the toxins and parasites living in me.  What's a preggo/nursing mama to do? 

I have spent the last 11 years of my life either pregnant, nursing, or both so I can totally understand your position.  I am just sharing my experience, you must make your own decisions.  According to Dr. Christoper and Dr. Richard Schulze, you can do some things while you are pregnant and nursing.  They believe that your body is smart enough to know what it is doing.  I know there are others on here that have done flushes, juice fasts, etc. while pregnant/nursing.

I am nursing a 3 month old right now and have started doing some things to get cleaned up.  If I wait until I am not pregnant or nursing like I have in the past....it will not happen for a looonnnnngggg time.  So far so good.  You start by getting the four eliminative channels open and working and go from there.  Bowel, liver, kidneys, and skin.  You can just use herbs (they are just foods) that are not contraindicated for pregnancy/nursing and go slowly. 

For example if you do a proper juice fast, you will still be getting the nutrition you need and giving your digestive system a break so it can focus on cleansing and healing.  Dr. Christopher recommends doing a 3 day juice fast every month while pregnant.  He worked with many patients so he had a great deal of experience. 

And I would probably wait until after the first trimester to start things.  You can research Dr. Christopher or Dr. Schulze who studied with Dr. Christopher and some of their programs.  If you get your elimination channels open, then the toxins will be able to leave your body and not get dumped back into your system and to your babies. 

In conclusion, I spent a lot of time feeling like there was nothing I could do, but I felt that doing somthing couldn't be any worse than trying to grow babies with a toxic system.  I was excited to learn that it was possible to do something!  Research, pray, and pay attention to your body!

Tammy

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 09:10:45 PM »
We have been 'Basicly' eating Stage three for a few months now (plus very few no no's,Ice cream & Hot coco some times)  and I would like us to work our way through from Phase 1-3 and remain at three.
We take weekend trips about every two weeks, what would be the wisest thing for on the road eating for 6 ppl over a 2 day span? 
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
is this diet considered a cleanse? I have the book and want to do phase one but I am nursing and wondering about toxins? I am pretty sure I have polycistic ovarian syndrome and want to start this asap but am still nursing my 19month old about 3-4times per day-
also I'd love to hear any success stories!!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 07:15:31 AM »
Mrs H, I think this is an excellent diet to use for regaining health. This is the first book I recommend to anyone. We've used it and seen great improvements in general health.

Depending on your current diet, and possible imbalances in the bacteria that live in the digestive system you will see detox. How much depends on the individual body condition. Most people also ingest a much higher portion of their calories in carbs than stage one includes so you will probably lose weight  which also leads to some extra toxins to eliminate.

Is your baby eating solid food as well? It may not affect him too much even if you do detox. You could start with stage 3 and work your way backwards. This would give your body time to adapt over time and take the detox in smaller steps.

If you do find yourself detoxing heavily you might try Detox+ or Dr Shulze formula #2 or even plain activated charcoal for 5-10 days. Of course you will also need to use laxative, fiber or other means of preventing constipation while using any of the above.