Author Topic: The Maker's Diet  (Read 30623 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
The Maker's Diet
« on: April 25, 2006, 06:10:13 PM »
From Beeyoutifulgirl

The Maker's Diet is great for curing all those "indefinite" diseases. You can buy the book here.

This is becoming a pretty hot topic, but it's scattered throughout the board.  Feel free to add your experiences, successes/failures or questions concerning this Diet.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:33:37 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: The Maker's Diet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 06:23:39 PM »
LOL - thanks  :D
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:37:53 AM »
I have found several different versions of the MAker's Diet  by Rubin, one publ. in 2005 and one in 2004. One said it was a Shoppers Guide, another said "change your life in forty days (or something like that) which one do I need.

Do I Need to purchase all his products, or is this an all around good health and eating tips?

Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 04:47:42 AM »
That would be entirely up to you. He thinks, of course, that you need to purchase all his stuff.

I bought only the book.
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 05:27:16 AM »
Do I Need to purchase all his products, or is this an all around good health and eating tips?

Click here.  This book is pretty complete in and of itself.  I checked it out from the library.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 03:57:46 AM »
I've read most of the book, but it pretty much parallels what Nourishing Traditions/Weston A. Price Foundation has to say.  That said, NT advocates the use of lard but does not have any pork recipes (besides bacon or sausage, I think).  MD is against all unclean animal products (meat and fat).  We pretty much follow MD except for the occasional organic/free-range bacon or sausage I make for my dh.  I, personally, am trying to avoid pork.  We thoroughly enjoy eating this way and have been very healthy.  My dc (3.5yo ds and 1.5yo dd) get 1-2 minor colds per year, no ear infections, no stomach bugs.  We have been eating this way all their lives so they don't know any different.  We walk down the candy aisle at Wal-mart and they are oblivious! :)

In the book he does push a lot of his supplements, which is kind of annoying.  I used his Primal Defense and Fungal Defense products long before I ever heard of the book.  Those were my first "encounters" w/ probiotics and I would recommend them to adults.  (I think it is too strong for dc.)  My dh and I took the PD together and boy, did it CLEAN US OUT!  We started off w/ 1 pill a day for a week, increasing our dosage by 1 pill each week.  We got up to 8 pills/day and kept that going for a month or 2.  Both of us had copious green junk pouring out of our sinuses.  We did not have colds or anything.  Felt fine except we had to blow our nose every 5 minutes.  Also cleaned us out on the other end.  ;)  Helped w/ skin issues for me and allergies for my dh.  I would not recommend them to nursing or pg mothers who have never used them before.  I would use them now (I'm 10 weeks pg) but it doesn't affect me like that anymore, even if I start out on 8 pills/day.  It ain't cheap, so we try to get our probiotics from kefir and cultured veggies now that we have jumpstarted w/ the PD. 

So, 2 thumbs up! ;D
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 05:18:33 AM »
I've read most of the book, but it pretty much parallels what Nourishing Traditions/Weston A. Price Foundation has to say. 

Thanks for that recommendation.  I think I really would like to read this one.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline konk

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 07:35:45 AM »
They're coming out with an audio book version and I've requested it from the library when it arrives.  I like to listen to things like that as I do my housework and I absorb things well that way.  I'm not sure how it handles the recipes though. 

Lack of money for quality meat finds us doing a lot of vegetarian eating.  I've enjoyed learning to fix such food but about once a week (or more often, especially for the children) we eat good meat.  I do believe a mostly vegetarian diet is quite healthy but I don't believe children should be on a complete vegetarian diet. 

I get my vegetarian recipes from savingdinner.com and just add good meat to a stir-fry or something when I can.

That's a good site to teach you how to make dishes heavier in vegetables and it's usually seasonal so I can use food locally and in season.  They do have very good recipes for traditional and crock pot cooking (not vegetarian) all of which I find to be a great way to make sure I have dinner planned out in a crunch and I imagine it would be great for meal planning/training for new moms who perhap do not yet have a standard meal plan for the family worked out.  Of course, my husband loves the meals but I imagine the usefulness would vary depending on how selective your husband's palate is. 

The library probably has the books.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 02:03:55 AM »
I just got this book yesterday.  I paid a little over $2 (not including shipping) from Amazon.com.  I realized as I was skimming through it that it has one typo repeated over and over again (someone's name).  I really don't mind the typo.  ;)  I still have not found a source for organic meats or raw dairy that we can afford.  Would it be pointless to follow his diet with regular meat?  I understand the importance of organic, anti-biotic free meats, but just can't fit them into our budget at this time.  We don't really have any health problems yet, just need to lose a few pounds and want to get our kiddos into healthy eating habits before they get any older. 
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:38:58 AM »
Can someone explain the "basics" of the Maker's Diet?  I keep reading about it here but have no idea what it involves.  Also, we get our beef from an amish guy my husband works with.  He grows his own grain to feed them or they graze on grass.  No chemicals or hormones.  Just plain 'ol cows.  We have to buy 1/4 at a time which is alot of money upfront, but ends up the same as what we would pay weekly at the store.  So, maybe check that route.  It's probably cheaper than trying to buy beef that people specifically grow "organic."  You pay alot just for the label. 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 03:39:31 AM »
A LOOSE summary of the Maker's Diet would be a whole food diet (meaning, nothing processed) with kosher guidelines. That doesn't quite cover all of the specifics, but it gives you a general idea. If it isn't recognizable to the farmer by the time it hits your table, then it probably isn't on the Maker's Diet. Plus, there are some hygiene and exercise guidelines.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 04:36:06 AM »
I am reading The Maker's Diet upon the recommendation of Beka in another thread.  I read last night about spirulina.  He says that it contains B12 analogs and cannot be metabolized by the body.  I thought I read in another thread how it is metabolized but couldn't find it this morning to save my life.  Can anyone help or contribute to this?  He also says that taking megavitamins may actually be harmful to the body?  I am taking the supermom and feel better.  I am just wondering because I know so many on this site have talked about this book, and also take the supplements.  These two conflict in ideas.  Thanks for any input.

Shawna :-*

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 06:27:19 AM »
I kind of asked this question in another thread, but wanted to go into more detail and felt it would fit better here.  My entire family has yeast problems.  I wanted to start the Maker's Diet, but found out I'm expecting and my hubby doesn't want to follow a very restrictive diet.  We are both overweight.  Would it still work if we followed the 2nd or 3rd phase for longer period of time?  I would give my hubby Yeast Assassin, TTU, and SuperDad.  I would take TTU, Supermom, and maybe digestive enzymes.  I'm considering giving my children digestive enzymes along with the diet and TTU.  Any other suggestions?
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 12:23:36 PM »
Bump! ::) ;D

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »
Its an interesting question.  I dont seem to get any extra energy from spirulina.  I was curious about it after reading some of the other posts on it- however, the Perfect Food from Garden of Life has spirulina in it- so, if Jordan Rubin actually believes it isnt able to be processed, then he probably wouldnt put it in his products.  That is just my first thought, off the top of my head.

Can you give a reference to what part of the book you saw this statement by Jordan Rubin in the Makers Diet?  I would like to check my copy, and see.

G
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:21:53 AM by gusoceros »

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 03:24:24 AM »
I kind of asked this question in another thread, but wanted to go into more detail and felt it would fit better here.  My entire family has yeast problems.  I wanted to start the Maker's Diet, but found out I'm expecting and my hubby doesn't want to follow a very restrictive diet.  We are both overweight.  Would it still work if we followed the 2nd or 3rd phase for longer period of time?  I would give my hubby Yeast Assassin, TTU, and SuperDad.  I would take TTU, Supermom, and maybe digestive enzymes.  I'm considering giving my children digestive enzymes along with the diet and TTU.  Any other suggestions?

We have started with phase 3 because we have so many melons in the garden that our forbidden in phase 1.  We have both noticed improvements in our energy and we get full quicker.  I have also started steadily lossing weight.  I lost 4 pounds in less than two weeks with no exercise.  I had been walking 30 min morning and evening and doing 30 to 40 min of stretching toning a day for the whole month prior to the Maker's Diet and had not lost a pound.  We do plan to start walking again for health and I am confident I will continue to steadly loose weight.

I would think you could follow phase three and have a healthy pregnancy.  As long as you eat the allowed foods when hungry you should maintain or gain a healthy weight for your baby.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 03:50:44 AM »
I realize no one has talked about this since August but since I just found this website last week or so I was able to get the book and my husband has been pushing for us to start this better eating thing so he can have relief in his digestion problems.  Yay! We started today!  I haven't received the YA from Beeyoutiful yet but expect them today or tomorrow.  ???  We started the parasite cleanse in anticipation of doing the liver cleanse and I have the grapefruit on my counter, waiting...I know we will feel better as a family when we are treating our bodies the way God would have us! :D

I was thinking of putting my teen boys on phase two of the Maker's Diet but wondered if anyone has started there and still had good results?

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:28:29 AM »
I was thinking of putting my teen boys on phase two of the Maker's Diet but wondered if anyone has started there and still had good results?

My husband and I started with phase 3 and had really good results in just two weeks.  I lost 7 pounds and my skin problems started improving.  We both experienced great energy boosts after the first few days of sugar withdrawal (tired, blah feeling).  DH is a teacher and usually has stress headaches the first two weeks back to school but he avoided it this year because of the diet.  We just did it two or three weeks before school and then in September we backslided and are feeling the old tired self again.  We are trying to get back into things again but those first few days of withdrawal are tough.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 08:38:55 AM »
Thanks, did you also do the YA? We haven't gotten them today and I was a little disappointed.  The mailman actually drove up and delivered something to our neighbor so I got excited unduly.. :-\

Thanks again, Melissa

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »
Thanks, did you also do the YA?

We didn't at that time.  I was eating the occasional yogurt.  We knew that it would be hard to stay away from sugar in September because of local events we were involved in so we didn't go all out because of the cost of YA.  I wish we had been more careful because now it is like starting from scratch again but a little harder because hubby is now at school and we can't hold each other accountable.  I am now trying the YA and avoiding sugar (phase 3).  I have stayed away from sugar for two days now and today I have felt real tired.  I want to go to bed but we haven't eaten supper yet, hubby isn't even in from the deer wood's yet.  :-\

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
Could some one please tell me if Maker's Diet endorses sprouted/fermented grains?

16goingon17

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
I've read the book, but I don't remember if he talks directly about sprouted/fermented grains. However, he does include quite a few of Sally Fallon's recipes which call for soaking the flour, etc.

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 04:30:30 AM »
Could some one please tell me if Maker's Diet endorses sprouted/fermented grains?

He does endorse sprouted/fermented grains.  I loaned my book out but if I remember correctly he prefers sprouted and fermented foods.

Offline cefalopod

• Wide Eyed
  • Crusoe the Crusader with a bird mask
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 06:42:42 AM »
Hello, eatwild.com is a good source for healthy animal products, also realmilk.org.  You can search by states.  Locate a Weston Price group, and call them for resources.  If you have a Trader Joes in your town, it is a great resource as well.  We were vegetarians for many years because we could not afford healthy meat.  I now know that it is worth skimping on any other area in your budget to make this work.  A Farmers Market is an excellent place to find local, organic healthy food, and meet the person who grew or raised it in person.  You are also supporting local smaller farmers, so it is a win-win situation.  We just recently moved to a new state, and decided it was a good time to commit wholly to changing our diet.  We had read The Maker's Diet, but the basic principals are common sense, and we had realized them before we read the book.  Our philosophy- the further from the tree (or where ever it originated), the less healthy it is.  We found a Farmer's Market, and were surprised and blessed to find 2 local organic meat and egg producers, a raw cheese producer, a very good organic vegetable farmer, and an all natural mercantile with popcorn, oatmeal etc. The Lord is good!  We go every Saturday as a family, and we spend $50 for a family of 7.  Whatever they have is what we get.  We try new things often, and it is fun!  We buy a few other essentials from a health food grocery (olive oil, etc)  but we are hoping to be able to phase that out after we find a co-op.  I do recommend reading the book, it is a good investment to buy it.  This new journey to healthy eating has been life changing for our family, and the kids are enjoying it also- I feel better than I ever have!  I do not mind that I am losing my "baby weight" much quicker this time, either. :) 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:59:01 AM by cefalopod »

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 11:32:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am going to order the book this weekend.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »
Do any of you have/use the clenzology kit? I'd like to know what the basic principles are. Is it a specific way of washing w/ soap or is it a special cleansing product.  ???

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »
I had the same question as I read the book... the reference to spirulina depleting B12 levels is on pg.101. Just on the surface it looks like spirulina should be used in short supplementation programs rather than in daily regime, especially for vegetarians.  ??? Are superfoods meant to be taken for long periods of time?
Personally this is our plan... to take supplements only to help our bodies regain balance and focus more on good nutrition. We normally only use supplements/herbs for two weeks at a time.
I would love to hear from some beeyoutiful staff on this thread. (or anyone who has studied spirulina extensively)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:54:20 AM by boysmama »

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 10:44:02 PM »
I don't have it but have read about it.  He believes that you should especially keep your nails and the areas around your nose and eyes clean b/c so much of what gets into our bodies are from those two areas. so it has a solution to clean around those areas and then it has a face wash solution for morning and night and I believe a gum cleanser that does not contain flouride.
hope that helps some!
sounded interesting to me but have not tried it b/c it was so expensive (like 40 I think)

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 06:35:14 AM »
I don't have the clenzology kit either but took the principles and applied them.  I wash my finger nails with soap and rinse, then splash my eyes and face with cold/lukewarm water (depending on my mood), then I blow my nose and rinse out the insides of my nostrils with my finger tips a few times  :P, then wash my hands again. 
I have allergies to my two cats and dog as well as pollen and dust mites.  I used to have to wake up in the night a few times to blow my nose and then carry a handkerchief for an hour in the morning as I cleaned out.  Since I started using the yeast assassin, doing the forty days with the Maker's diet, and cleaning every night and morning...I have not had any symptoms unless I rub my face in the cats!  I am so happy to learn how to get rid of my allergies and not have to live with them anymore.    ;D

Melissa

Offline yoopermom2

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »
I'm wanting to buy the Maker's Diet and was wondering what the newest edition is...seems on ebay and half.com it's 2006.  Does anyone know if 2005 and 2006 are that much different?  The price is.  Not a big deal just trying to get the "best buy." ;D
Thanks for any info.
Chris & Kelly with Jake 13, Hannah 12,
Emma 9, Daba 7, Nora 6, Tarike 3, Dade 2