Author Topic: Need recipes/ideas for making fried chicken batter tastier  (Read 7834 times)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
Need recipes/ideas for making fried chicken batter tastier
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:08:56 AM »
Hi,

Every time I make fried chicken, my batter (the crunchy fried part) is always bland tasting...I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I follow recipes...sometimes I add extra seasonings to the flour...but it's always bland.  Some of spices I've used are garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, & other things I can't think of right now, but it's always bland.  You can always taste the bland flour.  What am I doing wrong?  How do restaurants make their fried chicken batter tasty? (think of flavors like Hartz Chicken, KFC, Chick-Fil-A, places like that) 

BTW, I don't care if any of your ideas are healthy or not, as long as it's tasty & yummy!
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Need recipes/ideas for making fried chicken batter tastier
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:40 AM »
Hi,

Every time I make fried chicken, my batter (the crunchy fried part) is always bland tasting...I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I follow recipes...sometimes I add extra seasonings to the flour...but it's always bland.  Some of spices I've used are garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, & other things I can't think of right now, but it's always bland.  You can always taste the bland flour.  What am I doing wrong?  How do restaurants make their fried chicken batter tasty? (think of flavors like Hartz Chicken, KFC, Chick-Fil-A, places like that) 

BTW, I don't care if any of your ideas are healthy or not, as long as it's tasty & yummy!
You didn't mention pepper.  Black and or red pepper ought to do the trick. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:01:48 AM »
Here's my recipe...it's extra crispy.  I do add in a good dose of Season All, as well as adding seasoning to the buttermilk soak.

Gwen's Crispy Fried Chicken
½ gallon buttermilk
family pack of chicken tenders, or your pick of the chick
McCormicks Chicken Rotisserie Chicken seasoning, or season-all
For spicy, add 2 T hot sauce.

Oil for frying, and a big heavy duty frying pan
(cast iron if you’ve got it!)

breading:
2 c. flour
3/4 c. corn starch
3 t. baking soda
2 t. chicken seasoning (seasoning blend of your choice)
2 t. salt
2 T buttermilk

Use a plastic a zipper bag to marinate chicken in buttermilk: drop in chicken, shake in seasonings, and then fill with buttermilk (reserving a half cup) to coat all the chicken.  Add hot sauce to taste if you like it spicy.  Press out the air, seal the bag and put it in a bowl (just in case) in the fridge. Let the chicken marinate for an hour or two, or overnight if possible.

Mix together the corn starch, flour and baking soda in a shallow pan.  Flick or shake in buttermilk a few Tablespoons at a time, working it with your fingers to create crumbs…the more buttermilk, the more ‘crunchy’ bits in your breading.  (Remember that the chicken is wet too, so the crumbs will multiply as you go along).

Place a sheet of wax paper on a large cookie sheet.  One piece at a time, remove chicken from buttermilk and coat in flour mix, pressing lightly.  If you like it REALLY crunchy, quickly re-dip it in the marinade and then re-dredge with coating mix.  Put breaded chicken on the wax paper lined tray.  Once you have breaded about half the bag, begin heating an inch of oil over medium high heat (peanut oil, coconut oil, or shortening have higher smoking points and won’t smell ‘fishy’ when they get hot).  Preheat the oven to 200º, and put in a heatproof serving tray. Continue breading, keeping an eye on the oil.

When the oil is hot, drop in several pieces of chicken and fry to a light golden brown on both sides.  You want to maintain a very active bubbling frying action with no smoke. Watch the temperature…you don’t want it so hot that the outside burns and the inside is raw, but if it’s not hot enough, the breading will just absorb the oil and become greasy.  

Drain chicken on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and then keep it warm in the oven while you continue cooking.  
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:06:19 AM »
Hi,

You didn't mention pepper.  Black and or red pepper ought to do the trick. 
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, celery seed is one of the best seasonings for enhancing the flavor of poultry!  Add some of that too!
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
Are you skimping on the salt? Salt brings out the flavor of the other spices. The next time you make something like tacos, season the meat with all the other spices and then taste --then add the salt, and taste. You will not taste other spices very much, until the salt is added, then the other spices pop!

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »
I would def. say it needs to have a LOT of salt.  I use a recipe similar to this one when I make chicken nuggets/tenders.  It's actually the copycat recipe for the Chick fil A sandwich, but works great for nuggets as well.
This link has a recipe for the sandwich and a different one for the nuggets: http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1469271/  It seems like my recipe might have a little more salt than this one, but you can always fry a smaller piece, taste, then adjust if necessary.  My recipe (another Chick-fil-A copy) also said to let the chicken soak in the buttermilk/egg mixture an hour beforehand.  I usually forget to do this, though, but I'm sure it's good.  You can 'double-dip' if you want more batter.  I've never used this for bone-in chicken, but it is delicious for tenders/nuggets!
Another thing that will help with the overall flavor is to soak your chicken in saltwater the night before, or at least salt it really well with sea salt and let it sit in the fridge overnight, then rinse off and proceed with the recipe.  
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:12:03 AM »
Thanks, ladies...I will try adding more salt next time & see what happens...

So we are to be the SALT of the world, and of our kitchen!  LOL!
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com