Author Topic: Lupus: Symptoms, Treatments & Cures  (Read 26637 times)

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
Lupus: Symptoms, Treatments & Cures
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
hello there,
my sister who is 32 years old, married with 3 children, was diagnosed with lupus about 2 years ago.  she has been extremely ill and her MD currently has her on methadone to treat the disease.  she says the med is making her feel much better, but i shudder to think of what it's doing to her body in the meantime. 
i have been involved with natural foods and herbs,etc. for quite a few years and have heard of several supplements and "superfoods" that have been successful in treating lupus.  however, the info. that i have found is limited to testimonials about certain products (advertising support, really).
does anyone have any personal experience with successful alternative treatments for lupus?  i believe that my sister would be open to trying anything at this point.  all of the people whom she has met and been involved with who have this disease have gone strictly the conventional medicine route and she has seen all of them deteriorate rather rapidly.  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thank you,
Blessedwife

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Lupus: Symptoms, Treatments & Cures
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »
This sounds like it is an internal infection of some sort - probably in the blood. The fact that the antibiotics did make a difference is evidence of this.
I had an ongoing blood infection for years that the doctors could not identify. They called it "Lupus."
Taking high doses of garlic internally, and placing garlic poultices on the feet, chest, and back areas several times a day will penetrate and purify the blood. High doses of vitamin C internally through chewable tabs should also help. Give them to him until he shows loose stools. Try to buy the highest quality vit C - with rosehips preferably.

You might also buy a blood purifier tincture to give him daily.  Red Clover, Dandelion, and Dong Quai are common blood purifiers.

I would also suggest giving him baths with eucalyptus oil sprinkled in the water.

God bless your efforts,

Rebekah

Rebeka posted this somewhere else, i just thought it was related info.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:50:59 PM »
Read this.

Many autoimmune diseases have been attributed to leaky gut syndrome, including lupus.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 05:53:36 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Caroline

• Adept
    • New Little Blessing
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
My Mom has had Lupus for the past 12 years, and has gone mostly all natural, for as much as she can to treat it.  The past two weeks she has started working on losing weight, mainly through eating very healthy, small portions of food.  She has lost 8 pounds so far.  The last couple of days though, she has gotten very fatigued, whereas she wasn't feeling this bad before. It is putting her in bed a lot throughout the day. We are wondering if it could be several things, and would appreciate some input.

1. Can it be that because her body is losing weight, and she is eating healthier, she can be detoxing?

2. She has been on Tylenol PM for a couple of months for her pain, she finally had to get off of it recently because the Dr. said it was starting to cause some problems to her liver. So she could definately be detoxing from that, right?

I know there was some more things, but she is asleep right now, so I will leave it at that. Any thoughts on how to SLOWLY detox would be helpful. She cannot do anything drastic. She is currently on Supermom and Tummy Tune up. Should she try taking more of tummy tune up?  Thanks!
Caroline
www.newlittleblessing.com
Ergos, Pregnancy/Ovulation tests, Books, Modest Patterns, Modest Nursing covers, Baby and Child size slings and Vitamins!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:12:40 PM »
Sounds like she's on the right track.

For the detox, drinks LOTS and LOTS of water.

For the pain, she might try come cod liver oil supplements or she could try eating some pineapple or tart cherries in between meals not during for best effectiveness.  These two fruits (papaya also) are reputed to be very effective pain killers.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Quiltgal

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:42:11 PM »
Hi there! :)

My daughter referred me to this site...as it has been very helpful to her. THANKS ;)

She told me of someone on this site that had or has LUPUS and some remedies. I have a very dear friend that has Lupus and seeking help of any kind. She has had it now for 3 years. Her main problem is not fatique but Arthiritis..a lot of pain and swelling.

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

thank you!
Quiltgal

Offline scarlet_prairie

• Adept
  • Who blew down my house?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »
There is a lot of information about lupus and other autoimmune diseases on this site. Search "lupus" (make sure it's all lower case) and start looking through. A lot of different things can cause it or symptoms like it. I have a sister who has lupus and I brought myself from the brink of it using natural methods, my sister doesn't really believe in the natural methods out there so... *sigh* I'd list links but there are A LOT  ;) Take care and good luck.
Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Quiltgal

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:58:53 PM »
Thank you so much scarlet_prairie...

I would truly appreciate any info you have since you brought yourself out of this...she was definetly diagnosed with Lupus...she is very open to natural methods..ANYTHING..she is desperate to find answers...but realizes our bodies are different and some respond differently.

YOU may be the one my daughter told me about...

I will do the search too... :)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 06:14:04 PM »
This is some of the information I found on Lupus when someone asked me about it.

Try some Joint Healing Broth. It will help your connective tissue, supporting its repair and rebuilding as well as maintaining good condition.

The 4th edition of Nutritional Healing is out. I have the second edition. I would recommend you getting a copy for yourself. It is a valuable reference and has a section on Lupus.

They have MANY recommendations. Here are my responses to SOME of them:

I especially agree with the recommendation to avoid acidic fruits with two exceptions. Kiwi is more gentle on your system and could be tolerated in moderation.

The second exception is FRESH pineapple. Pineapple is the ONLY natural source of Bromelaine. This enzyme can literally dissolve tapeworms. There is a school of thought that thinks Lupus may be the result of parasites. A three-day fast, eating only FRESH pineapples would eliminate that threat.

However, other than during the fast, eliminate all other citrus, and partake of kiwi and fresh pineapple on limited occasions.

While avoiding salt is the recommendation of NH, I would allow for sea salt. Avoiding nightshade varieties of vegetables is a good idea also. (to help with arthritis-like symptoms)

Be really sure to avoid alfalfa sprouts in your regular diet and in supplements. Read labels carefully as many manufacturers like to include this in their supplements. According to Nourishing Traditions, alfalfa sprouts inhibit the immune system and can actually contribute to Lupus and arthritis. The amino acid called canavanine in alfalfa sprouts and seeds can be toxic to man and animals when taken in large amounts. This is not true of the alfalfa plant, as it seems to metabolize the canavanine as the plant matures.

There is also a section in NH full of recommendations on strengthening a weakened immune system. Look this over.

In addition to these measures, I would recommend that you support your system's elimination of toxins with skin brushing. This will also stimulate your circulation, helping support the underlying joints and connective tissue.

HTH
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:16:01 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:37:37 PM »

Hi quiltgal,

Two things come to mind.  The first is Cod Liver Oil.  I have a different AI but it does cause pain and I find that when I use 2 tbls (which is considered a lot) of CLO a day my immune difficulties are almost none.  If I cut back to 1 tbls or miss a day I can feel it within a few hours.  Our family uses Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil and we buy it from www.kirkman.com.  It's about the cheapest place we've found it.  We use the orange oil flavored stuff but I believe they have lemon also.

I was taking 3 pain pills a day for my AI and through natural foods and healing I'm down to one now.  I've been doing castor oil liver cleanses and feel like I could cut that back to almost a 1/2 a pill now.  Gentle cleanses are also good for AI's.  But gentle!  Because I tried a full force cleanse and was in so much pain from it! 

The second thing as a pain reliever while she's working on the natural stuff would be MSM.  I have taken up to 3000mg a day (it comes in 1000mg tabs) and it works great for joint pain (and other pain).

Auto-immune diseases are caused by an over active immune system attacking the body and one would think that stimulating the immune system would be bad.  But what she needs to do is eat healthy foods for the immune system and maybe some small amount of supplementing to help.  CLO is an Omega 3 fat and Omega 3's are indicated in AI diseases. 

Hope this helps.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Quiltgal

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 08:03:39 AM »
Thanks so much SC and Patti...

I was familiar with the Alfalfa warning... and I actually told her about this in my own research for her. She had no idea and was VERY thankful as a friend had JUST given her some alfalfa mixed with something else to try! :o  and then another friend of ours started making TEA with this and I said DO NOT GIVE this to so..and so..and becareful and let people know what in in your tea.

I will pass on this information you have listed. I know it will mean a lot to her..and me. She is a wonderful young woman with 5 children and a niece she is raising. She is a "you can't stop me" type person who has a heart for others and needs to take care of herself TOO! and if she has the info and resources..she will.

Thank you again...
Quiltgal

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »
Are there different types of Lupus?  My friend has been diagnosed with systemic lupus which she said right now is attacking her joints like arthritis and she hurts all the time.  She did go to a natural health clinic this week and was told yes it's systemic there is no way to cure it only make you comfortable.  They did what sounds like muscle testing to me and gave her some herbs to get her feeling better.  I asked ifthey had addressed her diet and she said no, the only thing they want to do now is get her feeling better.  Now, I may know just enough to be dangerous(and I probly would not be listened to anyway)but it seems to me that diet would be the FIRST thing you would address.  Second I am so convinced that lupus is most likely fungus attacking that I just thing antfungal things and probiotics would be the best thing. Again, I may just be dangerous. But that is what I would do if I had it.  Just wondering what you ladies think.  I know I have heard of people going into remission....don't know what caused it but could it have been a different kind of lupus?  She was told they can't keep it from getting worse only keep her comfortable.  What do you all think? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:33:29 AM »
Are there different types of Lupus?  My friend has been diagnosed with systemic lupus which she said right now is attacking her joints like arthritis and she hurts all the time.  She did go to a natural health clinic this week and was told yes it's systemic there is no way to cure it only make you comfortable.  They did what sounds like muscle testing to me and gave her some herbs to get her feeling better.  I asked ifthey had addressed her diet and she said no, the only thing they want to do now is get her feeling better.  Now, I may know just enough to be dangerous(and I probly would not be listened to anyway)but it seems to me that diet would be the FIRST thing you would address.  Second I am so convinced that lupus is most likely fungus attacking that I just thing antfungal things and probiotics would be the best thing. Again, I may just be dangerous. But that is what I would do if I had it.  Just wondering what you ladies think.  I know I have heard of people going into remission....don't know what caused it but could it have been a different kind of lupus?  She was told they can't keep it from getting worse only keep her comfortable.  What do you all think? 
Lupus is an autoimmune disease.  Autoimmunity is most often associated with overgrowth of Candida, leaky gut syndrome and low or wrong fat diets.  After all the research I've done, if it were me, I would start taking cod liver oil immediately and then begin to cleanse for yeast and eliminate ALL trans fats from the diet as they block the abosorbtion of good fats.  The leaky gut and the trans fats will essentially cause malnutrition as vitamins (including D, A, calcium and magnesium - the vits and minerals essential to bone and joint health) cannot and will not be absorbed.  Without the fats, they cannot be broken down correctly and with a leaky gut, they won't get through the intestines for digestion anyway. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:36:17 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 07:38:19 AM »
well, they did have her start taking CLO.  I would do what you would do but how do you get someone to listen to you when they have just spent well over 100 dollars to get advice from an expert?  The thing is my friend knows about yeast and fungus but now she is getting a different "take" on it I think.  She knows it is autoimmnue.  But having HB say what I was thinking makes me know I'm not crazy.  :D

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 03:13:31 PM »
I have a friend who was having a whole bunch of weird symptoms: blacking out, getting lost in familiar places, not being able to figure out how to get places in the town she has lived in for most of her life, not remembering how she got in a room, etc.  She was diagnosed with lupus.  I did a search, but none of those symptoms were listed in the lupus information that I found.  Has anyone heard of this before???

The docs put her on heavy meds for lupus, and she has been better, but now she's having anxiety attacks and low energy and really big weight gain.

And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 03:18:23 PM »
I have a friend who was having a whole bunch of weird symptoms: blacking out, getting lost in familiar places, not being able to figure out how to get places in the town she has lived in for most of her life, not remembering how she got in a room, etc.  She was diagnosed with lupus.  I did a search, but none of those symptoms were listed in the lupus information that I found.  Has anyone heard of this before???

The docs put her on heavy meds for lupus, and she has been better, but now she's having anxiety attacks and low energy and really big weight gain.

You are right, those do not sound anything like lupus to me.  Unless, the disease has changed in a decade?  It sounds like she is having symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.  Sometimes a build up of aluminum or mercury can mimic those symptoms that you have described.  I would recommend that your friend get a second opinion.  Maybe even a third!  ;)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 03:31:11 PM »

You are right, those do not sound anything like lupus to me.  Unless, the disease has changed in a decade?  It sounds like she is having symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.  Sometimes a build up of aluminum or mercury can mimic those symptoms that you have described.  I would recommend that your friend get a second opinion.  Maybe even a third!  ;)

I though maybe a brain tumor.  A relative of mine died of a brain tumor and did several things like that before they discovered she had one.  But my friend's tests all came back negative for any kind of brain problem.  I thought maybe it was autoimmune related, but didn't think heavy metal.  Thanks.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 03:57:27 AM »

I though maybe a brain tumor.

Honestly, that was my second guess, but was hesitant to say it.  My hubby's friend from work went through the same thing, too, a month ago.  He had a large brain tumor removed from his side of his head.  I would definitely have her see someone else soon!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 06:35:04 AM »

Honestly, that was my second guess, but was hesitant to say it.  My hubby's friend from work went through the same thing, too, a month ago.  He had a large brain tumor removed from his side of his head.  I would definitely have her see someone else soon!
Interesting...They do use the same meds to treat both. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »

Interesting...They do use the same meds to treat both. 

They use the same meds to treat both a brain tumor and lupus???
Why???  Are they somehow related?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 07:30:38 PM »
No they are not related.  Prednisone is one example of a drug that is used to treat both.  It can help reduce swelling with brain related problems and by definition  inhibits the body's immune response which would theoretically be an appropriate treatment for lupus as lupus is an autoimmune disease.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 07:38:05 PM »

All these symptoms can be caused by fungus also. As the fungus lives, grows & dies it puts out mycotoxins. (fungal toxins) Mycotoxins are toxic to the brain & nerves & can cause every symptom you described. Check out Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link books for more info. Also his web site:

Know the Cause

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline jesslynn

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
my mom was diagnosed with at type of autoimmune disease awhile back that hasnt given her a lot of problems till recently when she started menopause. Now she is having a lot of problems and they're now thinking it is lupus. She is open for natural remedies but everything i typically know to do for her symptoms are more to increase the immune system which i'm guessing it her case would be a bad idea. I'lll tell her to try the cod liver oil and a yeast cleans but didn't know if in doing that if she should do all but the parts that increase the immune system. I will continue my research i'm just feeling frustrated that i cant help my mom.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:14:00 PM by jesslynn »
What so ever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »
For a start, cod liver oil.  There are many cleanses she could, and probably should do, but if you're both overwhelmed, cod liver oil is a great place to start.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,309.0.html

I also have an autoimmunedisease, and CLO is amazing. 

Offline jesslynn

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »
if i get her the CLO in pill form how much do you think she should take? her biggest symptoms right now are joint pain and fatigue. i read earlier that the CLO might help the joint pain but would it help the fatigue also?
What so ever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »
This is a good place to start: http://www.lupusrecoverydiet.com/

I am not certain that this is a way to eat permanently (vegan, low-fat) for lupus patients, but because this is an anti-inflammatory diet it can be very helpful.  I think after a couple of months you add in small amounts of beef, eggs, or other animal protein plus good fats and see how you feel.  You have to listen to your body and pay attention to catch nutritional distress signals ("too much!" or "more!").

Lupus is strongly influenced by hormonal patterns and women with lupus are generally low in testosterone.  A saliva hormone panel needs to be run for exact prescribing of bio-identical hormones. 

The entire endocrine system needs to be addressed, however.  In particular, thyroid (iodine), pituitary, and adrenals must be balanced.

Lupus patients are typically very low in vitamin D.  CLO or a cholecalciferol supplement would be a good idea if tolerated.  Blood work needs to be run periodically to check vitamin D levels.  It can be difficult to get levels down once they get too high.  Some recommendations are up to 5000 IUs a day (higher in some cases for short term dosing).  The RDA is very low, about 400 IUs per day, and that is entirely inadequate - for anyone.

Allergies and sensitivities to food and environmental factors are another contributing factor.  Desensitization is a good idea since is becomes harder and harder to avoid triggers.

Lupus cannot be treated well without addressing underlying emotional/mental/spiritual issues.

Stress relief is a huge factor.  Employ massage, chiropractic, gentle exercise, and quiet time to help your body cope.  These will not be successful unless you also rest and sleep as your body needs.

Conventional medicine does not consider any of these factors (usually) so you really need to find a good alternative/complementary physician who can treat the whole person, and consult over the phone.  It is vitally important to find health practitioners who believe that wholeness and wellness can be achieved.

There are WTM threads on all these topics, and reading them all would be a good place to start.  Lupus is a multi-faceted syndrome that demands a multi-faceted approach.  Be your own best advocate!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 04:03:09 AM »
For a quick fix, spirulina tabs are good for energy.  If I'm really fatigued, I'll take 6 of them, and I feel better almost instantly.  The CLO should help joint pain.  IMO, more is better for people with auotimmunity.  The thread is linked in my previous post.  What helped my joint pain, was going gluten-free (no wheat, barley, rye) and casein-free (dairy).

I would start reading some of the cleansing threads.  A colon/parasite cleanse first, followed by liver flushes, the Master Cleanse, and candida/leaky gut cleansing is what I would recommend.  It's what I'm doing, in addition to a whole foods diet. You should find what you need under http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/board,4.0.html.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 06:31:15 PM »
FYI.  A friend of the family has lupus and he's very far progressed and in much pain daily.  he and another member of the family who has fibromyalgia are going to start the Budwig diet together to see if it will help to relieve the inflammation and pain.

i plan to keep you updated as they progress.  they started the diet today.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 05:32:59 AM »
FYI.  A friend of the family has lupus and he's very far progressed and in much pain daily.  he and another member of the family who has fibromyalgia are going to start the Budwig diet together to see if it will help to relieve the inflammation and pain.

i plan to keep you updated as they progress.  they started the diet today.

I heard from this friend.  Been on the original diet (no CLO) for 5 days.  He noticed a difference on the 2nd day.  Little to no Advil this week and he was in an enormous amount of pain before he started. 

I should note that he has chosen from the very beginning not to follow ANY course given by the docs.  The only thing "unnatural" that he has used for treatment is Advil until he started Budwig.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
Is a positive ANA Lupus? ??? Our 7yr old DD was tested  positive on her ANA (almost 3 years ago).

Yesterday we found out her Vit D is 9(very low) and alkaline/phos is 417(high).

She has greatly improved in communication skills and learning abilities since her diet change 3 yeas ago.  Her body however is very weak.

I am reading, reading, and reading and I still can't seem to find the missing links to help her. Her patterns seem to be telling me the answers and I can't seem to pull it all together. ???
Any responses will be helpful.