Author Topic: Potty Training a Baby [an Infant]  (Read 38691 times)

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
Re: Potty Training a Baby [an Infant]
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »
The main problem is that he won't sit on the potty longer than 1/2 second.  So I haven't had a chance to try anything.  He doesn't seem to want to be still.  I realized this morning that SITTING on the potty is pretty different from SQUATTING, which is what we've always done (with me holding him) or what he's done on his own (squatting on the floor and going in his diaper.  So maybe the whole potty chair thing is the wrong idea, but I can't come up with any others. ::)
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 08:17:09 AM »
Have you looked at the different styles of potties available?  We liked the Baby Bjorn little potty. 

It's an all one piece molded potty that the child squats on...so it's much more 'normal' feeling to them to potty this way.  We also read books while on the potty.  Snacks (popsicles) also help keep them focused.  You can move these little potties to any room of the house, and I even traveled with one in the back of my car.
Here's a peek at one: http://www.babybjorn.com/en/American/products/Bathroom/BABYBJORN-Little-Potty/
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
That's the one we have since it's the only one I could find that was small enough for babies.  I bought it about a month ago, but I can't seem to figure out how to get him to make the connection between peeing and the potty chair, since we've never used one before.  (See yesterday's post #58) And I think his current potty strike is more about not wanting me to hold him since he just started walking.  So I need to figure out how to let him go on his own, but he doesn't seem to be making the connection with the little chair.  And maybe because he's still so little, but his legs aren't long enough to squat over the chair so he has to actually sit there which he simply won't do, even when playing and with his clothes on.  Should I just take a little break from trying to EC?  I'm just scared that if we do take too long of a break, we'll lose everything we've gained over the past 10 months :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:55:42 AM by Mamatoto »
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
I'm thinking that you can either take a break, or make time to let him go naked everyday, where you can just be with him and watch him, and when he starts tee teeing, stick him on the chair to 'catch it'.  I'm thinking on a deck or outside if the weather is nice enough.  Then maybe let him spray out the potty with the hose for more 'fun'. :)

For poo, let him go commando.  If he makes a mess, put it in the potty so he can see it.  Poo-poo goes in the potty too.  Then we take it to the BIG potty...
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »
Thanks for the great idea!  I think I'll give myself a little break this weekend, but then starting Monday we'll consistently do some naked time with the potty chair handy.  (Easier to start integrating something new into our routine on a weekday.)

Offline littlewife

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
Does anyone know where to find a free, online pattern for little boy undies? I'm making my 7 month old some split crotch pants, and I'd like to make him some undies to go with them, so I can take him out in public in them. I'd just make him regular undies, but that would defeat the purpose of wearing the special pants.  :) Any other ideas?