Author Topic: The Master Cleanse  (Read 278417 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: The Master Cleanse
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2006, 05:41:30 AM »
Thank you for that clarification.  Today I was at a local Vitamin Shoppe, and the man recommended something liquid that started with Flora_______.  It was supposed to be taken in the am with water for eight days.  It was designed to detox the whole body- all major systems.  Do you have any knowledge of a cleanse such as this?

It depends on what the product is.  With "flora" in the name it makes me think "probiotics" of some kind.  What are the ingredients on the label?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2006, 07:26:08 AM »
I thought I would share some of the lessons I learned on the Master Cleanse: 
1.  I realized again how self-focused/selfish I truly am.  Things like  getting married, having children, and 
    now the Master Cleanse have continually shown me the depth of my selfishness.   
2.  I never knew that I often reach for a little bite of food without thinking about how much food that adds up
     to ;D  I was continually catching myself putting food into my mouth and then having (to my great   
     disappointment ;D) put it down again.
3.  I have heard the Bible story of how Jesus was driven into the desert and there He fasted for forty days and 
    was tempted by Satan many times.  I have never really sat and thought about that passage as much as I have
   this week.  I sinned constantly during my fast(irritable, short of patience and temper-well, you get the idea) 
   and yet Jesus never sinned.
4.  I never knew how good boring vegtable soup would sound :)  I've never really enjoyed vegtables, but I will be
    so thankful for every bite of the vegtable soup tonight.
-KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2006, 08:06:44 AM »
4.  I never knew how good boring vegtable soup would sound :)  I've never really enjoyed vegtables, but I will be so thankful for every bite of the vegtable soup tonight.

I agree with this.  Things I rarely even eat sounded so apetizing.  Funny, though, it doesn't take long to return to old habits and begin taking food for granted once more.   :-\  On the good side, I crave sugar almost never.  I was eating granola for awhile but even the sugar in that got old and this week, my sugar has been limited to gluten and sweet and sour from Chinese buffet (shhhhh), but there was little effort in it, just didn't feel like eating it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:08:37 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2006, 09:29:06 PM »
Today I was at a local Vitamin Shoppe, and the man recommended something liquid that started with Flora_______. 

Could he have been talking about Floradix? http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/_main.asp

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »
Want some mainstream validation of the Master Cleanse?

CLICK HERE.  We just went to Walmart and hubby spotted this article at the counter.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2006, 06:21:34 AM »
Want some mainstream validation of the Master Cleanse?

CLICK HERE.  We just went to Walmart and hubby spotted this article at the counter.

PS  It's a little slow to load.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sweet

• Learning
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2006, 02:53:50 AM »
Healthybratt,
I got into the site real fast, but cldn't find an article/info on the Master Cleanse...can you spoon feed to me where to go?
Tks

Offline sweet

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2006, 02:56:00 AM »
Healthybratt,
Never mind, tried it again and got it...Tks

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »
I just finished my 60th day on the Master Cleanse last week. To answer questions about energy: I went hiking, camping, bicycling, and painted and redecorated my kids' room during these two past months. I also had mouth surgery during the fast, and my Dr. said he never saw anyone come in, undergo a procedure without general anesthesia and be out of his office so quickly (less than 45 minutes, they usually take 2 hours). No problem with weakness except towards the last. I lost 37 pounds during the fast, but I seem to have leveled out at 32 pounds.

I plan to do another fast probably next month to reduce my weight further. I kept a journal so that I could reference it later. In all, I found it to be a pleasant experience (except for detox). I was able to cook for my family without problems because this stuff really does not leave you with hunger or uncontrollable cravings.

I thought I'd be back to my old ways of eating, but my tastes have really changed. I keep a large container of vegetable soup that I dip into throughout the day (with whey added). I also enjoy lots of fresh salads. I eat some protein each day, but it's much less than before. I used to like lots of beef, but now I really enjoy herb-baked organic chicken or deep-sea fish baked with peppers, onions and lemon. Also, I drink a gallon of filtered water per day with 1 tsp of sea salt.

Oh, and one thing I didn't expect: when I broke the fast, my body reacted by retaining water in my legs and feet . . . BIG TIME. I just kept on with my herbal tea and water and things have gradually corrected themselves. I feel good now, but I really had a lot of energy during the fast.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2006, 12:19:25 PM »
Wow, congratulations, SC - I've never known anyone go TWO MONTHS without eating! That's truly amazing. Thanks for the update!

Fasting can become an addiction, BTW, and long term it is bad on your internal organs. Be sure to eat really well, take your vitamins, and get TOTALLY recovered before doing another fast - and personally, I'd recommend doing shorter fasts for health sake.

Still - the total amazement of having done a 2 month fast is truly something!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :
Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2006, 01:46:29 PM »
Thot i hadn't read right when i read 60 days. Wow! Your self control must be amazing. Do you have major health issues that made you decide to do 60 days? DH and i are planning to do the cleanse together in a couple of wks. when i'm done nursing. I'm trying to prepare myself by fasting over lunch, at least a couple of times a week. I'll have to think of SC when i want to give up.  :-\

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2006, 03:51:52 PM »
I did the cleanse because there were some things going on that I wanted to correct. I was tired a lot, suffered from lots of cravings and needed to lose about 70 pounds. I knew my metabolism was shot, and the last person I took care of was myself.

I also needed some time away from food to nourish myself spiritually. Being the mom of a special needs child has left me very isolated from fellowship. The organized church we attend just isn't set up for families that wish to worship together. Additionally, the classes for little ones feature junk snacks that would send my little guy into a tailspin. They just aren't set up to keep little ones from grabbing snacks from each other, and there's no place for me to go with my guy. So, I am often left at home missing worship, fellowship and Bible study.

This cleanse has jump started my weight loss. It has helped free me from cravings and boosted my energy level. Also, with the help of tapes and Cd's, I have been able to bathe in God's word while I go about my daily routine. I have seen improvements in my overall outlook, and I am more at peace though my circumstances have not changed. My skin -- especially my scalp, and feet -- has greatly improved. Even the bumps that I used to have on my upper arms. My face is clear and my hair is shiny and reaches to my upper thighs.

I would not recommend 60 days for everyone. I didn't start out with a goal of days in mind. I simply wanted to lose weight and read the literature very carefully. Keep in mind, you are taking in nutrients, just in a liquid form. You truly don't feel hungry if you follow the instructions.

I had determined to make this a time of prayer for myself. Because I have small children, I also determined that I would end the fast as soon as I felt that my physical condition warranted it or kept me from caring for my family. My kids need a healthy mom and my DH is properly spoiled.  ;)

By the end of the fast, I knew the difference between a toxin release and my body needing something more. I never lost muscle tone, only fat and water. I finally ended when I felt a constant nausea and headache that was different from toxin release. If I had been in better physical shape at the outset, I might have been able to go longer. Because I have dealt with allergies in the past, I suspect that the mono-diet over an extended time may have triggered a temporary allergic reaction either to the maple syrup or the lemon. I used all organic ingredients.

My youngest stopped nursing about 9 months before I started the fast. I sought my husband's approval before starting it. I wouldn't have attempted this if I were pregnant, nursing, diabetic, or taking prescription medications.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »
I have a question.  I have fasted for one month before but only a water fast.  I didn't do any of this master cleanse stuff(didn't know about it).  If you just do a water fast can you pass stones and things like the folks on here are talking about or do you have to be drinking certain stuff for that?  I always had plenty of energy during the fast.  It always made me want to cook and bake but I was never tempted to eat it. I think that may be why I could do it.  I am an all or nothing kinda gal and I can fast easier than diet.  HOWEVER i think most of my loss was water and food intake but then I have had a baby since and once I fasted for five days but I was nuts so I decided I had better eat and I found out I was pregnant and another time I did a cleanse......yep pregnant and didn't know it.  So anyway I am off my question but can someone give me an answer on the passing suff?   :) Thanks.

Offline Coco79

• Learning
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2006, 11:19:27 AM »
Why is it dangerous to eat whatever you want as you get off the master cleanse? and how do i prepare this cleanse for my husband who is at work during the day?

Thanks

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »
Both in The Master Cleanser and The Maker's Diet the end of a fast is a crucial time. Each author says that you should be very careful how you go about breaking a fast, taking anywhere from two to four days to work your way back to solid foods. Your stomach has gotten smaller during the fast and should not be expected to suddenly take on the task of digesting solid food and stretching to accommodate it. Additionally, once you have gotten rid of all those toxins, it can be a bit much to reintroduce processed foods, sugars, breads and other things with preservatives, coloring agents and other additives all of a sudden.

Offline Coco79

• Learning
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »
Thanks SC. How do i prepare this cleansing for my husband who is working during the day?

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2006, 03:51:03 AM »
What has worked at our house is that my husband saw how I handled the fast. First, he watched me do a couple of liver flushes over several months. He wanted to try one, so we chose a time when he would be home from work for the second day. A liver flush takes two days. He was surprised by its "efficiency" and pleased with the results.

DH isn't much of a talker. He watched while I did the Master Cleanser. He saw that my energy levels were actually higher, along with the other benefits. He has mentioned wanting to try the MC. Because he has a very physically demanding job, I'm waiting to see if he really wants to proceed.

With the Master Cleanser, I would do for him what I did for myself: Each morning, prepare 6, 10 oz servings of the lemonade according to directions. I put the entire thing in a 1/2 gallon jar. (One caution: DON'T use a plastic container. The lemon is a detoxifier. I used a plastic container. Toward the end of my fast, I think the plastic was leeching into the drink! This could leave you feeling quite badly.) I purchased supplies for about 10 days at a time.

Send the jar with him to work and he should be fine. Remind him to drink throughout the day to avoid feelings of weakness. This will be his nourishment. I took a quart mason jar with the lemonade and a water bottle with me whenever I left the house. Watch carefully for dehydration: pinch up some skin on the back of the hand and release. If it springs back, good. If it sort of stands there before going back down, you need more water. I have continued to keep a gallon of filtered water with 1 tsp of sea salt on hand to drink throughout the day.

I would plan to begin this on a weekend or some time when he is at home during the second day. For me, that second day of the fast is when full-blown detox symptoms hit, and you just won't feel like being away from home. My symptoms subsided after about 4 hours, so I suspect that most men would take less time.

That reminds me, my DH would rather not be bothered with a lot of reading if he knows I've already researched the topic. If your's likes to read, have him read the MC pamphlet. If not, tell him a quick overview and let him know what the detox symptoms are and what he should expect. Certain things should not be left as a surprise  ;).

Also, I would position myself as a support person and assistant, not the director. If, at any time, he feels that he wants to leave the fast early, then don't balk. He will be more likely to try again later if he knows he hasn't failed in your eyes. Keep enough fresh vegetables on hand so that if he decides to break the fast you are only about 20 minutes away from a nice vegetable broth.

Offline Coco79

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2006, 03:11:59 PM »
I have another question. You know how in this cleanse or the book says you are suppose to have 2-3 bowel movements a day, what if you don't? And also what if you don't lose weight on this. Or is it suppose to be slow? sorry for all the questions.

KZ

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2006, 03:50:34 PM »
I have another question. You know how in this cleanse or the book says you are suppose to have 2-3 bowel movements a day, what if you don't? And also what if you don't lose weight on this. Or is it suppose to be slow? sorry for all the questions.

KZ

I would check my water intake and be sure to drink the herbal laxative tea at night. Follow the next morning with a water flush. When it talks about bm's, you aren't necessarily talking quantity, but you should see something as your body is ridding itself of toxins. If I didn't drink enough fluids, the tea would cause cramping. Check yourself for signs of dehydration and avoid it by consuming enough water.

If you feel that the weight loss is very slow, be patient. It will come. Also, check the amount of maple syrup you are taking in. He says that you can reduce this, and I did.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2006, 03:55:05 PM »
I have just finished reading  through the Master Cleanse book by Peter Glickman and a few things about it troubled me.  At first, I really didn't think much of the cleanse in itself.  But as I read through the book I noticed he was way off on a few things.  So, if he is off on a few things, maybe he is off on this cleanse.  Obviously, it has worked wonders for some people, but I am still a little suspicious of it. 
I had talked to my sister, who is a nurse in training, and she says that when you do a no food/no protein diet you are not loosing weight at all.  You are losing muscle tone.  And that could cause problems later in life if done over and over again.  I must say I do agree, for when I went on this raw food diet thing for awhile a year ago, I lost so many inches around my body.  I thought it was fat, but in actuality it was my muscle.  As soon as I started eating meat again, I started to fill out in my figure.  Perhaps, I am wrong in regards to thinking this about the cleanse I don't know.  Maybe someone knows more than I do and can let me know what is going on here.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2006, 05:28:11 PM »

KZ

I don't know if this matters, but I only went after the salt water.  Once that was out, I was done for the day.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »
that when you do a no food/no protein diet you are not loosing weight at all. 

This isn't really designed to be a diet.  It's a fast to cleanse toxins.  The maple syrup and lemon juice are supposed to help keep your nutrients up while you are fasting.  Even doctors will agree that fasting is good for you.  It helps your body to take resources that would ordinarily be used up digesting foods and extra intake of toxins and diverts them to burning fat and releasing stored toxins from the fatty tissues.  Weight loss is just a bonus, or a beneficial side effect.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2006, 05:51:02 PM »
Hi, I'm kinda new here. I'm a 3 time pre-eclamptic ,(still have high bp) c- section mom of three preemies and I'm sure I need cleansed. I'm starting the MC tomorrow(monday) any advice from you pros at this. I am just starting the basic recipe in the book with no other type of cleanse first. what kind of toxic reaction can I expect?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:58:11 PM by mary »

Offline Coco79

• Learning
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2006, 04:27:33 AM »
thanks for the answers. As i am progressing more on this cleanse, i have all these questions i probably should have asked before i went on it. like, Why ten days? also, even when i do take the laxative tea or salt drink, i still have no bowel movements. Is this normal or dangerous? I am having alot of mucus but that's about it. He also talked about mucus forming foods. I didn't see which foods he was talking about. Do you know which foods these are? Apparently i have been eating too much mucus forming foods.
 Thanks again from the question lady,
Karina

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »
thanks for the answers. As i am progressing more on this cleanse, i have all these questions i probably should have asked before i went on it. like, Why ten days? also, even when i do take the laxative tea or salt drink, i still have no bowel movements. Is this normal or dangerous? I am having alot of mucus but that's about it. He also talked about mucus forming foods. I didn't see which foods he was talking about. Do you know which foods these are? Apparently i have been eating too much mucus forming foods.
 Thanks again from the question lady,
Karina

I think someone said in an earlier post that if the salt water isn't moving your bowels, you can adjust the salt up to another 1/2 to 1 teaspoon  more than you are already using.  You won't have a lot of output, but you should have some.  The salt keeps the water from going through your kidneys and redirects it through your intestines instead.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2006, 11:12:37 AM »
For those on the master cleanse, I wrote to a distributor of maple syrup and asked him if they used formaldehyde in their production(something that Peter Glickman claims all do but organic maple syrup producers).  This is the email that he sent me back.  I found it interesting and of good use.   Seems to me that regular maple syrup may be just as usuable in the master cleanse as organic.

No, we do not use the formaldehyde pills in our maple trees. They were commonly used from the 1960's to the late 1980's but have since been banned for use in maple syrup production.

In NewYork state the formaldehyde pills are considered an illegal pesticide and their use is strictly forbidden by the department of ag and markets as well as the NewYork state maple producers association of which we are a member.

The "pills" were used to slow the healing process of the tree after it was tapped and they did work especially when using buckets as the taphole was more exposed to the elements when using buckets versus tubing. We have found with clean modern tubing systems the taphole stays open all season anyways and the use of pills would just be an added expense.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2006, 11:22:34 AM »
That's awesome information! I love getting the "straight dope" on stuff like that!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2006, 03:42:56 PM »
That's awesome information! I love getting the "straight dope" on stuff like that!

No problem!  That is what this site is all about.  If you want to order cheap bulk maple syrup you can check out www.welchsmaple.com It is $36 for a gallon.  Let me know if anyone can find a cheaper one. 

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2006, 03:24:50 AM »
Maybe this has been addressed, but I haven't read all 4 pages of this thread recently.  ;D Will the MC get rid of yeast?  Can I take Supermom, YA, and/or TTU while on the cleanse?  Is there something I can take or drink other than the laxative tea?  I'm not very fond of tea.  What if I can't find organic lemons?  I've looked everywhere and can't find them at the farmer's market, or our local produce stand.  Publix is the only grocery that carries a wider array of organic produce, and they didn't have organic lemons last time I checked.  I'm going to look again, but if I can't find them, would regular lemons work or would it be pointless?
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2006, 04:18:21 AM »
Rebekah said she didn't use organic lemons.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."