Author Topic: gerd  (Read 6632 times)

Offline 4girls

• Learning
gerd
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:22:41 AM »
My husband has gastroesophogeal. The meds. for this are costing us a ton of money and they are not good for him. If anyone knows of a natural way to correct this problem please let me know.
        4girls

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: gerd
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:28:59 PM »
My husband has gastroesophogeal. The meds. for this are costing us a ton of money and they are not good for him. If anyone knows of a natural way to correct this problem please let me know.
        4girls
Treat for candida and leaky gut syndrome as GERD/reflux are often symptoms of these condtions.  Check the following links for more info.

Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I think I have Leaky Gut and/or Candida:  What Now?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4girls

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the information heathybrat. We have thought about getting flora source
it claims to heal leaky gut and clean the bowls.Has anyone herd of this flora source.
                                        4girls

PMESguy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:37:56 AM »
No TV when eating. No converstations either (seriously). Have him eat in absolute silence and take one bite at a time with putting the fork down on the plate between bites.

He MUST chew his food until it is liquified. What's liquified?? Well, that means you chew and chew until what ever it is broken down into soup basically. EVERY person I've seen with this problem....1) used their mouth like a vaccuum 2) Was angry at the world in some form or another 3) Drank hardly any water, if none at all.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
        4girls

Article found here http://www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/gerd.html:

Ask the Doctor
About Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)

By Tom Cowan, MD

Question: I am a diabetic in my seventies who suffers from heartburn or what they now call GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease). My doctors suggest that the only treatment is long-term use of conventional antacids. Are there any natural alternatives for this condition?

Answer: Thank you for your question as this is an issue that concerns many American. As you may know, medicines for stomach and upper digestive system problems are currently the largest selling medicines in the country, an amount totalling billions of dollars per year. Luckily for you and many others, this is a problem that is often rapidly amenable to dietary intervention.

Treating GERD brings up a quandary that one often encounters in the world of medicine. That is, in many cases two diametrically opposed theories may be proposed, both of them often sounding perfectly valid and, of course, both of them having their vehement proponents. Think of the lowfat versus low-carb arguments that are raging through the dietary circles of this country as an example of how two competing theories for weight loss may, at first, sound equally valid. In many cases only the actual testing of each theory will show which is the right approach.

Regarding GERD, there are also two theories which at first both sound good. Since everyone accepts the fact that it is stomach acid that causes the problem of burning, the question is why is there too much acid in the stomach? One answer could be that the person is eating too much food that "tells" the body to secrete acid. Since protein foods are what causes the stomach cells to produce acid, the therapy is simple: stop eating so much protein. Then the stimulus to produce acid will be lessened, less acid will be produced and eventually the symptoms will abate.

The competing theory states that producing acid is a natural function of the stomach in response to the eating of food—any food. In fact, the acid helps the stomach and pancreatic enzymes assume their proper form, so without stomach acid the whole digestive system is thrown off. Stomach acid is beneficial in other ways in that stomach acid kills the invading microorganisms that we inevitably ingest with our food. Stomach acid thus protects us from infections, both acute and chronic, in our GI tract.

Furthermore, the very group of people who lacks stomach acid, that is the elderly, is the group that most often suffers from GERD. So in this case, the solution is not to inhibit production by eating less protein, but rather to increase protein (and fat) consumption so as to give the acid something to do, which is to digest the protein.

Which reasoning is correct?

A recent study done by Professor Yancy and his team at the gastroenterology department at Duke University examined this very question. The article was published in Alternative Therapies Nov/Dec 2001, Vol. 7 No. 6 under the title "Improvement of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease After Initiation of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet: Five Brief Case Reports." In this study, the Duke researchers took on people very much like yourself. They were mostly diabetic patients, often with a host of other medical problems. Furthermore, they were described as patients who had failed all other conventional therapies. In other words these were their most refractory patients with GERD.

Much to their amazement they report that in spite of continuing to smoke, drink coffee, and other GERD-unfriendly habits, in each case the symptoms of GERD were completely eliminated within one week of adopting a very low-carbohydrate diet (about 20 grams per day.) The patients were able to stop all antacids and prescription stomach medicines and this improvement continued even after they liberalized their carbohydrate intake to a more tolerable 70 gram per day.

The researchers were unable to definitively say why this had occurred but they postulated that the lower-carb intake influenced the activity of various hormones that open and close the value between the esophagus and the stomach.

By the way, this therapy is particularly appropriate for a diabetic, for it stabilizes the blood sugar (although you still need to carefully monitor your blood sugar, as you know.)

To address the question of the long term effects of taking antacid drugs, the main problem is simply that our stomach acid in not only necessary for protein digestion, but it protects us against a variety of gastrointestinal infections. Long term blocking of this acid is a very poor strategy indeed.

I have used this low-carbohydrate approach for the treatment of GERD for many years and with many patients. I can report that it is one of the most effective interventions that I use. It is not unusual for people to report relief even within a few days. There is no longer any doubt in my mind as to which of the above theories in correct.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Laalex2

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:50:44 AM »
I had horrible gerd after brain surgery and the low carb diet helped a little bit but not long term.  I started listening to Dr. Bob Marshall and he said gerd is from too little stomach acid so I started taking his detox kit which includes hydrocloric acid, a digest and an activator and it has helped tremendously.  It isn't stomach acid that is causing the problem....it's lactic acid from food rotting in your colon because it hasn't been digested properly.  We eat way too many cooked food which destroys hydrocloric acid.  Most people past their 20's need to supplement with HCL if they want good digestion.  Bad digestion leads to most health problems b/c your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »
CALLING ALL RESTRICTIVE DIET GURUS! HELP, PLEASE!

The researchers were unable to definitively say why this had occurred but they postulated that the lower-carb intake influenced the activity of various hormones that open and close the value between the esophagus and the stomach.

I am focused on this right now because my mom's esophageal sphincter [valve] is not working. There are several other things involved with her terrible digestion problems, but I am going to see if we can get that valve working again -- and in short order! Her doctor needs to see some improvement within a week if she is going to avoid getting a recommendation of surgery from him.

So, I thought of this article -- especially this part and the part above.
Much to their amazement they report that in spite of continuing to smoke, drink coffee, and other GERD-unfriendly habits, in each case the symptoms of GERD were completely eliminated within one week of adopting a very low-carbohydrate diet (about 20 grams per day.)

Tomorrow, she wants me to bring over a meal plan for the week. She said, "Don't tell me what I CAN'T eat; tell me what I CAN eat."

Please help me get this done today.
WR
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:30:01 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 08:56:52 AM »
So are you just needing a low carb diet? I am not familiar with gerd, but I would suggest south beach diet if you just need something "pre-made". It's a start at least.  ???
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »
Yep, I need a diet plan that limits carbs to 20 grams a day. And anything I can get easily (I have no time to wait on mail orders) that might aid in the digestion of all these proteins and fats, since she has no gall bladder and her stomach is "slow" to empty.

WR
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:44:14 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »

Tomorrow, she wants me to bring over a meal plan for the week. She said, "Don't tell me what I CAN'T eat; tell me what I CAN eat."

Please help me get this done today.
WR

Thanks a million for those posts, WR!  When I saw your post in Prayer Requests, I was hoping you would also post your "possible lead" somewhere else!   :D 

For some great, healthy, low-carb recipes, the book "The Diabetes Solution" by Richard Bernstein and "The No-Grain Diet" by Dr. Mercola have some great ideas.  The recipes are in the backs of both books.  Although the books are about 2 different things, both doctors come to the same conclusion about diet and how it affects health.  I especially like these recipes because they don't focus on an abundance of protein, but a really healthy amount.  (I got both of these from our dinky library!)

My dh, who has the same problem with his esophogeal sphincter/gerd, recently decided to do a yeast cleanse because his tongue was whitish.  He's a vegetarian and eats lots of carbs, so I had to scramble to create a low-carb diet for him.  I found that a lot of the veggie recipes from the above 2 books have been great (and he eats lots of eggs).  Ever since he's been eating lower carb, his gerd has been flaring up less.   But I thought it was just because of the yeast being taken care of.  Thank you so much for your post!!

Oh, yeah...I didn't mean to make it sound like the recipes are vegetarian.  Far from it.  I was just saying that they were so well done that I could still make low-carb vegetarian recipes out of them!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:57:20 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »
Kati*did's suggestion is really good, the diabetes solution is great. I'm surrently reading it. He suggests most meats, hard cheeses', half and half or heavy cream but no other milk, veggies, fruits in moderation or not at all. Is this the kind of info you need? Specific lists or just starting points? If you want more specifics let me know, I have the book next to me.  :)
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »
WR,

Well, practically speaking, 20 grams carb/day is more restrictive than you think.

Here's some meal ideas:

Breakfast
Omelet:  egg, heavy cream, mushroom, cheese, onion, bacon
Coffee, but only with NO sugar and if cream, make sure it's heavy cream.
Very small handful of frozen blueberries.
or
1/4 cup unsweetened yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and some stevia and cinnamon/nutmeg.  You can eat this warm, too.

Lunch
Fresh green salad with 1/2 avocado  & canned tuna:  Iceburg, Romaine, Spinach, Cabbage (total about 1 cup greens) 1/2 avocado, dump a can of tuna on top.  Top with homemade dressing:  olive oil & vinegar & salt & pepper.  Be very careful with store-bought dressings!!!!  They are usually loaded with sugar.  Veggies to avoid/minimize:  corn, carrot, onion, peas, beans, potatoes, parsnips, tomatoes, winter squash.

Dinner
Roasted Chicken with celery, 1-2 stalks carrot and 1/2 onion & seasonings.  Side dish:  Cauliflower mashed potatoes, or steamed green beans, or fried cabbage, or steamed brussels sprouts or asparagus or collard greens or sauteed mushrooms or turnips or zucchini or summer squash or snow peas.  All these veggies contain about 6 grams of carb in 2/3 cup cooked.

or

Fried up hamburger patty with an onion slice, cheese slice, and fried egg on top.  No bun.  Dip in Mayo/mustard sauce.

Is this what you're wanting, WR?

THE BOOK you want for lo-carb meal ideas is Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution, I have used it for reference for years for my diabetes.  Most of my ideas are his, or spin-off's from him.  You seem in a hurry, so I tried to just shoot off a few ideas for you.  HTH

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone! Please keep 'em coming!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I had to sneak some homeschooling in somewhere, today.  :)

I coppied the carb lists HB posted on the Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida thread. But my eyes start to cross just looking at it. It will be helpful, but I would LOVE more meal plans and some recipes.

I understand that 20 grams a day is very restrictive. But she has almost waited too late to try to do something about this. So... we do what we have to do. (Pray for her.)

Thanks again, everyone!
WR

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:36:14 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

cecac

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
From Protein Power Lifeplan:

Protein Cornerstone Choices:
Eggs any style
Eggs any style plus cheese plus meat

Crustless Quiche:
1-2 pats of butter in a pie plate, melted in 375 degree oven
Beat 8-10 eggs until pale and frothy.  Add salt & pepper to taste.  Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese.  Pour into pie plate. 
Now put in your additions:  lightly cooked fresh veggies, meats, cheeses

Pop in oven and bake 35-40 minutes.  Can be served immediately, then also reheated for later meals.

Meats of all sorts, although I would leave any sauces off due to offending carbs. 

Here are some common carbs with their effective carb content and serving size that I pulled off the list, keeping in mind 20 grams per day:

Alfalfa sprouts:  1/2 cup, .4
Asparagus:  4 large spears 2.9
Boiled broccli: 1 cup 4.0
Raw broccli:  1 cup 2.2

Cabbage boiled  1 cup  3.6
cabbabage raw  1 cup  3.0

1/2 cup boiled okra: 1/2 cup 5.8

Squashes (winter) cooked 1 cup 8.5
Squashes (summer) cooked 1 cup 5.2

Blueberries 1/2 cup 8.6
Strawberries 1/2 cup 3.3

Melba toast 1 slice 3.5
Saltine crackers 1/ 2.0

Here's a few ideas for you:

Breakfasts:  Do that quiche along with 1/4 cup of berries and some cream.
                 Scrambled eggs and bacon with strawberries, tea with cream

Lunch:        Lunchmeat or cold meat with melba toast and cheese
                  Homemade chicken soup with cabbage, other low carb vegs

Dinner:        Baked or sauteed meat with some low carb veggies

In my limited experience I just have had to fill up on meats, cheese, and eat veggies that are very low carb.  Salad is a biggie, just no root veggies. Nuts are low (but according to the chart don't do cashews or pumpkin seeds.  Almonds, dry roasted, are 1.8 grams of ECC per ounce, peanuts are 2.2).  Make the salad dressings with no sugars attached, olive oil and herbs.

Keeping hard boiled eggs around for snacking, or cold meat, might really help if she gets hungry.

HTH,
Cara

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
I was on a candida diet this summer.  I didn't count carbs, cuz it seemed too complicated  ::) So I just had strict rules about what I would & wouldn't eat:  NO fruit, grains, corn, potatoes, peas etc..  OK:  Meat, eggs, nuts, veggies.

I always had boiled eggs on hand, like someone else said.  I also kept cut veggies on hand to dip in cashew macedamia nut butter (Unsweetened PB would do, but not as yummy!)  Cheesesticks too.

For lunches or dinners I would usually make something regular, just without the grain.  Like stirfry, but not over rice.  Chicken caccatorrie, no pasta.  Slowcooked fajita meat served with shredded cabbage & carrots, cheese, avocado, no tortilla.  I sauted alot.  Ground turkey with summer squash & italian seasonings.  Pot roast or beef stew, no potatoes.  A fresh salad with about every meal.  My husband BBQed quite a bit & he'd BBQ veggies too, I'd add a salad.

Some of the quicker meals would be deli meat spread with cream cheese & tapenade or wrapped around a pickle.  Egg salad, tuna or mackeral salad.  More green salad with lots of meat tossed into it.

Thinking back on all this is making me realize we ate like kings this summer!  It was somewhat of a challenge to come up with a good variety, but it sure was good stuff!  :D

Hope some of those ideas inspire you!
~W

"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 08:40:32 AM »
I spent the last two nights at my parents house and helped mom get started on the low-carb diet. She seemed depressed about all the restrictions and wouldn't look at the list of foods I printed out. She just kept asking me, "Can I have this?".

I was afraid that once I left she would just quit. Then today, I was talking to her about how hopeful I was that it would work for her so she wouldn't need surgery and she surprised me by cheerfully saying that she was hopeful, too, and exclaiming, "I heard my stomach growl, for the first time in three months, last night!" (her stomach has not been churning properly and can barely move the food out -- See THIS thread).

I think it will help her if she sticks to it. Please pray for her. (I'm going to post this on the prayer thread too.)

WR
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:43:15 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »
WR,

I wanted to make sure you've visited the Bernstein website.  It is, of course, for diabetics, but they are purporters of a VERY lo-carb lifestyle.  There is a forum there for anyone who wants to sign up.  The forum has a very large recipe section - there are new posts daily as well as links to the most favorite lo- carb recipes, etc. 

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Go there and then click to go to the new forum.  You will need to sign up to see the forum, I think.

I highly recommend you go there and weed through some of the recipes for your Mom.  You would know what kinds of recipes she'd like and be likely to prepare.

If she is going to be successful with lo-carbing, (especially if less than 20 carbs/day)  I truly think she'll need as much creativity as she can get her hands on.  Also, I believe she'll need to be able to "cheat" in small ways, on a regular basis, or she will have a hard time feeling human.  It is the rare person indeed that can "live" that lo-carb for years on end.  Many can do it for a year or two, but the inevitable breakdown can be detrimental if you have been depriving yourself of absolutely everything - I think that regular treats -  that are not completely over the top  - are very helpful in winning the mental battle.  You might could help her plan little things that she will truly enjoy and look forward to eating, along with helping her form her new diet.

I will pray that you and she will have wisdom.

Just a few of my thoughts, fwiw.

HTH

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »
Thanks!

She needs to change her diet for the better (don't we all). Such an extreme change for a long period of time is probably not necessary but it may be what she needs for now. The plan is to have her drop to 20 grams of carbs per day for about a week (maybe two if she can do it) to get some results right away. Then, she can ease up to something more reasonable.

I'm hoping that seeing a positive change with a "home remedy", when she has just been getting worse with mainstream medicine, will spur her to take some responsibility for her own health.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 07:05:15 PM »
Yep, I need a diet plan that limits carbs to 20 grams a day. And anything I can get easily (I have no time to wait on mail orders) that might aid in the digestion of all these proteins and fats, since she has no gall bladder and her stomach is "slow" to empty.

WR

kimkins.com has lots of low-carb diets that are easy to prepare.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010