Author Topic: Klebsiella Pneumonae - a mimic of candida - causing GI problems???  (Read 6054 times)

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
OK, I've posted a while back with my problems with chronic constipation. I've struggled with "yeast" and have treated for it many times. I have started seeing an alternative doc/chiropractor who ordered a stool culture. The results: I have overgrowth of a bacteria called Klebsiella Pneumoniae. It feeds on carbs and symptoms can be mistaken for candida. Could this be the reason why I never get on top of my symptoms? Am I treating for the wrong thing? Anybody know anything about Klebsiella? Apparently it usually causes diarrhea, but can cause constipation in some cases. It is treated with tough antibiotics, but my doc thinks we can treat it with cranberry. This is very interesting, but I have to wonder if it's another fad diagnosis from what I've read on the web. Help!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
Re: Klebsiella Pneumonae - a mimic of candida - causing GI problems???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:08:44 AM »
I have never heard of this bacteria, however saying that I have heard of different bad bacterias that have taken over people's guts and caused LGS and the symptoms normally associated with Candida.  IMO the symptoms we normally associate with Candida are caused by a malfunctioning intestine, with the American diet the way it is and the prevelence of antibiotics etc, which promote Candida overgrowth a malfunctioning intestine is usually caused by CAndida; however, this is not necessarily so for every person.  It's like going in to the doctor with a horribly sore throat and getting the culture back that says it's not Strep, but it is still a bacterial infection.  From the symptoms everybody assumes and treats it like Strep because that is what it is in about 90% of the cases but in 10% it's some other bacteria.

Anyway all to say that although I don't know about this specific bacteria, I do think it makes sense that it could be a bacteria instead of Candida IMO.

-Heather

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »
Bump.... any other experience with this??

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:02:26 AM »
Drs. Farbman and Barnett of the Boston University School of Medicine, prepared liquid extracts of fresh garlic and incubated it with fourteen strains of bacteria, including E. coli, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus Group A, and Streptococcus pneumoniae. The "garlic juice" was found to inhibit the growth of all fourteen strains. The garlic juice even worked against antibiotic-resistant S. aureus, currently the most dangerous antibiotic-resistant bacterium in hospitals. (5)

from http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Biot/biot_anthrax-natural-rem-garlic.htm

Klebsiella [pneumoniae] possesses a chromosomal class A beta-lactamase giving it inherent resistance to ampicillin. Many strains have acquired an extended-spectrum beta-lactamase with additional resistance to carbenicillin, ampicillin, quinolones, and increasingly to ceftazidime. The bacteria remain largely susceptible to aminoglycosides and cephalosporins. Varying degrees of inhibition of the beta-lactamase with clavulanic acid have been reported. Infections due to multidrug-resistant Gram-negative pathogens in the ICU have invoked the re-emergence of colistin, an antibiotic that had rarely been used for decades. However, colistin-resistant strains of K. pneumoniae have been reported in Greek ICUs.4

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klebsiella_pneumoniae
  My favorite herb book!!