Author Topic: Shonda Parker's Home Study Program  (Read 23577 times)

Offline Laurie

• Learning
Shonda Parker's Home Study Program
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »
Hope this is an o.k. question to ask here.  Has anyone taken Shonda Parker's herbal home study program?  What do you think about it?  It seems expensive.  My reason for even looking into it is that I have very little experience with herbs and have just been learning as I go depending on what's going on health-wise in our home.  I guess that I would like to speed up my learning so that maybe I would be prepared for things before they come up instead of always playing catch-up.  Know what I mean?  I thought that a methodical course would be helpful...and $300 wouldn't be an overwhelming amount of money IF the program were really good and we reaped health benefits from it. 

I'm really looking forward to hearing some first-hand testimonials...or maybe there are other suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Laurie

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Shonda Parker's Home Study Program
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »
Laurie, I haven't taken the course you mentioned, but what really encouraged me to try things in this area was the first little salve I ever made: GOOT. You can read about it elsewhere on this forum.

After GOOT (garlic oil ointment), my next faltering steps were taken with some of the pre-made mixtures through the Bulk Herb Store. Jungle Juice is still a staple at our house. The process of making a tincture under my belt gave me the confidence I needed to start experimenting and trying a few other things. I've really enjoyed the ABC Herbal, Practical Herbalism and Prescription for Nutritional Healing. For first aid remedies and such, Comfort for the Burned and Wounded has been invaluable. These are not my only references, but they are well-worn and much used. All but Prescription for Nutritional Healing can be found at the Bulk Herb Store.

IMO, I would rather invest my $ in trusted text books rather than courses -- unless I required a certification/certificate to show my credentials.

I guess the question boils down to what your needs are. If information is your goal, that can be had with the right texts. Hands on experience is gained in your own kitchen following the recipes/instructions in the books. For employment purposes, or setting up your own practice, you'll need some coursework. In that event, I would do a quick survey in my area and see which school/course is the most respected and take it.

I also like to remember in a classroom setting why I am there. There is a real temptation to challenge wrong thinking when you run across it. However, for me, I've found it to be more productive to simply process the material, take the test, and move on, retaining that which is useful. AND I would be SURE of my core beliefs and why I believed them before entering into a classroom setting.

In natural health and medicine, there is a lot of paganism. If you aren't well-founded, you could be shaken or swayed. A person who is at peace will not be so upset by these things that he/she cannot benefit from what nuggets of truth are buried in the junk. Just know, that you have to sit through a lot of junk sometimes before you run across something useful.

Just my response to your question.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 04:15:58 PM »
SC,
this  is a course of study I have looked and looked at for several years. I am currently taking a midwifery course...but hope to follow up with Shonda's course in the next year or so. My sister-in-law has this course and has greatly enjoyed it. We both have followed a less traditional, read it all in books approach to our herbal education thus far, but she wanted to get here bases covered while researching and learning about herbal things for her soap company. The manual is very hefty and covers a lot. It is very informative! You can learn all you need to know from books, but my sister-in-law learned a lot in a very through manner from this course. You are also trusting in a Christian when learning from Shonda. She loves the Lord and gives Him glory in his wonderful creation! I hope that helps you out with your decision. Blessings, Ashley
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »
I know someone who's doing this program and she has really enjoyed it.  She's learned a lot and has been a huge help to me when I've had questions about herbs, etc.  If she were here, I think she'd highly recommend it.   :)

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »
i know a gal in our homeschool group who has used this program for herself and her 2 teen daughters.  she won't even sell it and plans on giving her daughters each a copy because it is so valuable.  i know another homeschool mom who plans on giving each of her sons wives a copy when they marry.  it is THAT good.  wish i had it myself!! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
Laurie,

My daughter is currently working through Shonda's program and it is excellent.  It seems expensive but what you get for the money is TONS of info and solid textbooks and reference materials. 

Some things I have noticed that I believe merit it's use:
Shonda is helpful but HIGHLY encourages her students to research and learn to find the answer for themselves.  She wants them to LEARN.

Her material is thorough - so much so that my daughter in being questioned by friends and acquaintances regarding lots of different health problems/issues - has been 100% right on with the naturopaths and other professionals with her advice or recommendations.  Part of this is due to my daughter's research abilities but much of this is attributable to Shonda's depth of material.

Shonda is very balanced, she highly prefers and recommends natural and building basic health for a foundation but does not dismiss conventional medicine if needed.

With more time to think I could probably say more but suffice it to say that I would highly recommend the course for anyone who wants to seriously learn.  With serious study and application it could be done in a year, but with "real life" and family or ministry responsibilities it realistically takes 2-3 years.

There is also an online study group/forum for current students that allows brainstorming and sharing of info.  The level of activity on this forum varies from time to time.

Hope this helps you in your decision.
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

njmama

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 04:17:08 AM »
I have the course. It is expensive but if you have the money to spend it is worth it. You receive much more than just herbal information. Nutrition, identifying herbs, growing herbs, human body & how it works, also all of her books. I will also be keeping it for my children. It is from a christian perspective. IMpersuadd really summed it perfectly.

Other books I would recommend would be Medicine Makers Handbook by Green, ABC Herbal, & Comfort for the Burned & Wounded.

HTH

Offline princesstea

• Learning
  • Howdy!
    • My FaithWriters Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »
I too would love to take this course. But I wnat to know, is it interesting? I've been taking some college courses and their textbooks are sooooo dry and boring and liberal and...blah! If the program doesn't grab my attention and make me want to learn, then I won't. I'm that lazy.  ;D

I did get the ABC Herbal book from e-bay. Very down-to-earth to author. It was pretty intersting too. Easy to read. Although, its pretty much made for those like me who know nothing about herbs and natural healing and such. Great book and it doesn't cost much. Highly reccomend it.
Kaylee Bake

A face without freckles is like a sky without stars.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 07:41:06 PM »

Thanks, Lori.  I almost emailed you.   ;D

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Laurie

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 04:27:01 AM »
Hey, thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question. 

SC, your perspective is the same as what mine has always been and it has always worked well.  I own Practical Herbalism and the ABC book and use them a lot.  I recently went through a miscarriage and my midwife picked up on some things that were going on in my liver which I never would have figured out simply because I don't understand body systems very well.  I started thinking that maybe if I studied more intensively and methodically I could be proactive and not always reactive.  My desire is to serve as my family's primary health-care giver as far as my abilities allow...I'd like my abilities to be a lot stronger.

It sounds like from those of you who have experience with the program that it would answer my needs and I thank you all for the detailed and kind answers!  Hubby is all for it but I think I'll wait to order it until after this school year...I want to spend as much time with my daughter as possible before she leaves for college next summer. 

Thanks again!
Laurie

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:37:26 AM »
Is this course one where you receive the material, and you're on your own to do it?  Or do you deal with a personal instructor who helps oversee your studies? 

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:20:26 AM »
is there a website to go to to check this out?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
There is some info about it HERE.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Phil4v4

• Helpmeet to DH & Mother to 4
  • Wide Eyed
  • Audrey
    • Otter and Crabapple
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 04:43:01 AM »
As one who has this course (and slowly working on it), I would recommend that you check out (interlibrary loan, etc.) Shonda Parker's books. 

It was through her books that I was introduced to the Home Study Program.  Her books will give you a flavor on how she approaches the study of the use of botanicals as well as nutritional avenues as well as the role of conventional medicine (allopathic).    Mrs. Parker seems to have a more balanced approach than some of the others I have read.   The course goes in much more detail than the books and requires you to study, research, etc.!

As a Christian, I so appreciate having someone who does approaches the role  as a mother and caregiver of her family (moms are usually the ones who are taking care of the sick kids) from a Christian perspective, relying firstly and foremostly on the Great Physician.  Yet also recognizing that we may learn and gain wisdom in how to use the treatments/nutritional guidelines/etc. to maintain and improve the health of our family. 

Her books are on this page of her website:
http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/books.htm

A couple are currently out of print.  A few years ago before I purchased her books and the course, I was able to get them via interlibrary loan.  And I would guess that you might be able to purchase them as used books as Amazon.

Audrey
..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´-:¦:- Audrey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always! Again, I say rejoice!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »
If any of you have or KNOW of someone who does have Shonda's text book and would be willing to sell it PLEASE let me know. A friend is ordering the course. If I get my own text I can use all her other course books.  But I cant afford the $150.00 brand new text.
thx,
Jessica
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 02:01:18 PM »
I have a question for those who are taking Shonda Parker's home study course:
I've just finished lesson 1 but what she is saying is the complete opposite than what Sally Fallon says in Nourishing Traditions about good fats and bad fats. I use the coconut oil, high oleic safflower oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Shonda says these are bad for you and you need to avoid them. She recommends using canola, regular safflower and extra-virgin olive oil (I use this too). Which one is correct?
Thanks,
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 06:00:58 AM »
I've just finished lesson 1 but what she is saying is the complete opposite than what Sally Fallon says in Nourishing Traditions about good fats and bad fats. I use the coconut oil, high oleic safflower oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Shonda says these are bad for you and you need to avoid them. She recommends using canola, regular safflower and extra-virgin olive oil (I use this too). Which one is correct?
Thanks,
Kelly

Probably Sally Fallon, as that is her area of expertise. Also, Shonda's guidance on nutrition is drawn from older research and hasn't been updated as frequently as the other areas of the course, namely the herb sections. (I think)

HTH!
CrimsonRose

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 09:21:06 AM »
Probably Sally Fallon, as that is her area of expertise. Also, Shonda's guidance on nutrition is drawn from older research and hasn't been updated as frequently as the other areas of the course, namely the herb sections. (I think)
HTH!
CrimsonRose
Thank you CrimsonRose. I'll just continue using the oils that I'm using. I can't wait until I get to the herb section since that is the main part I want to learn about! I thought about starting there but then decided it would be better to start at the beginning and not get ahead of the course. I'm learning a lot about the medicinal values in our food and I'm enjoying that!
Kelly

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 06:12:17 AM »
Thanks,
Kelly
I would go with Sally on this one, except I would add the olive oil as a good fat to Sally's list.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline missourigirl

• daddysprincess
  • Learning
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:40 AM »
 ??? i very interested in taking this course, but i need to know if it is interesting. it is hard for me to stay with a program if it is boring. the price is alittle more than i would like to pay but if it will pay off in the long run then i am willing to pay it. what are your opinions? thanks in advance!
Life's a Dance, you learn as you go, Sometimes you lead and sometimes you follow, Don't worry 'bout what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 05:52:03 AM »
I just read someone else on here thought her nutrition info was a little dated...like saying NOT to use Coconut oil, etc. I want the nutrional and herbal, but honestly more the nutrional...so if that part is out dated, I'm a little concerned....yeah more thoughts from everyone please! :)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 06:42:46 AM »
??? i very interested in taking this course, but i need to know if it is interesting. it is hard for me to stay with a program if it is boring. the price is alittle more than i would like to pay but if it will pay off in the long run then i am willing to pay it. what are your opinions? thanks in advance!

Daddysprincess - I have NHF course and I am very pleased with it. I'm planning to "upgrade" to the professional course this fall. It's worth the cost for the herbal section alone, IMHO. With the purchase of the 'normal' course, you also get access to Shonda Parker's private forum, though small, I have found to be invaluable.

Have you read Shonda's Mommy Diagnostics before? Her writing style in the course manual is the same as in her other books. I find it interesting and easy to read, but that's just my personal opinion.

HTH. Feel free to post or PM me more specific questions and I'll answer as best I can.  :)

Offline missourigirl

• daddysprincess
  • Learning
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 02:53:30 AM »
thanks CrimsonRose for your imput. what do you think on the nutrition part? some others have said it was outdated. i have heard that some of the same oils are bad for you too like she says in her course.  i have not read any of her books (meaning shonda's) i tried to look them up in our library computer but they dont have any. anyway thanks in advance! ;)
Life's a Dance, you learn as you go, Sometimes you lead and sometimes you follow, Don't worry 'bout what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go!

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
I have the course too. It's set up to do in 36 weeks but it's taking me much longer than that. I really like that it is an at-your-own-pace course.
The nutrition part is mostly ok. Shonda has said on her message board that "I'm still into veggie oils. I, too, use High-oleic safflower for cooking with high heat, olive oil for lower heat. I haven't been into coconut oil too much due to concerns over quality." She mentions using canola oil as a healthy oil in the course material.
The first 7 weeks are about nothing but nutrition. You will learn to make out menus for different types of diets and also what whole foods are. It's pretty interesting. You just have to go with the types of oils you know are best. No-ones opinion on anything is going to match yours perfectly.
The herbal info is great. The only thing I don't care for is that Shonda is into using herbal pills where I've learned from others how to use the same herbs as food and get more benefits from them.
I enjoy what I'm learning and don't regret buying the course at all.
Kelly

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
thank you Kelly...an excellent review...just what I'm looking for!! So does she talk about fermenting/sprouting/etc? Or would Nourishing traditions be better for that ?  Does she talk about allergies at all?

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »
It's been a while since I did the nutrition part but I don't remember her talking about fermentation/sprouting. I think NT would be a better place to learn about that.
Yes she does talk about allergies in the later weeks. If you go here there is a complete course outline:
http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/Course%20Outline.txt

The books that come with the course are great. I chose Fearfully and Wonderfully Made as the anatomy book and bought The Complete Book of Foods. I was sent The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods but the course work is for the first book. Evidently Shonda couldn't get it anymore so is giving the second book instead. I found it at amazon.com for less than $7.00. There is a video walk of herbs that comes with it too that is interesting. I also like the fact that growing herbs is included along with the book Growing 101 Herbs that Heal.
You also do hands on things with herbs. You'll see what they are in the outline. All the herbs you'll need to those are included in the course material.
Kelly
The message board is a great place to ask questions and get feedback too but the feedback is sometimes a bit slow.

Offline missourigirl

• daddysprincess
  • Learning
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
thanks so much for the info. I am going to get it as soon as i get the money saved up (Lord willing!) May God bless you for your help! ;)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 11:30:20 AM »
Thank you, Kelly!  ;D You said what I was thinking, only better.

My two cents on the nutrition part: it's not "outdated". It's just very basic - there's not a lot of the "cutting edge" research in her materials. But that's because Mrs. Parker is not a nutritionist, she's an herbalist and that's where the majority of her research and writing focus (IMO).  I "supplement" my own learning with other books like The Maker's Diet, NT, and whatever else I can interlibrary loan or buy cheaply on Amazon. Oh, and WellTellMe, obviously.  ;)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
I looked up the Shonda Parker's class, but I decided on another herbal class from Vintage Remedies. I am on chapter 6 now, and I have learned SO MUCH! There is family herbalist or master herbalist. I am just passing this along, if someone wants to compare them. Here's the website, and if you have questions, pm me.

http://www.vintageremedies.com/wordpress/?page_id=124

Melissa

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
I looked up the Shonda Parker's class, but I decided on another herbal class from Vintage Remedies. I am on chapter 6 now, and I have learned SO MUCH! There is family herbalist or master herbalist. I am just passing this along, if someone wants to compare them. Here's the website, and if you have questions, pm me.

http://www.vintageremedies.com/wordpress/?page_id=124

Melissa

I looked into that one too but decided to do Shonda's instead. Jessie Hawkins, who wrote the vintage remedies course, took Shonda's course too so hers is most likely similar to NHFSG.
Kelly