Author Topic: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]  (Read 172354 times)

Offline Marisa

• Adept
Re: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
« Reply #330 on: August 28, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Thanks for this thread:)
I put some goot on my baby boy's stubborn ring worm rashes and they look so much better after one application! My toddler said,"Mommy, why does Coleman smell like a pizza?"

Offline becken

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2009, 01:04:16 PM »
Could I use odorless garlic capsules in a batch of GOOT - say for a husband who doesn't want to smell to high heaven at work? My concern is that it wouldn't be as effective, if at all. Has anyone tried it?

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #332 on: October 11, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
Help! I cannot find the Goot Recipe and how to make it? I've searched many different terms- I need to make this! I made it about 4yrs ago but have totally forgotten! Thanks so much!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
There was a link at the beginning of this thread, but it's broken.  This is the same recipe.  HTH! :)

http://calebnoblebaron.blogspot.com/2008/07/first-ear-infection-at-3-months.html

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
Thank you morning glory!!! I am going to make it first thing in the morning!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
This is, in my experience and opinion, simpler and more effective than GOOT for treating illness and getting the full antibiotic power out of garlic:
Garlic Poultice
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
Yeah, I've never been a big fan of GOOT. I just soak my garlic in olive oil for about 10 minutes before using. I'm sure you could even strain the garlic and leave the oil in the fridge after infusing for a few hours. I just make it as I need it though seeing as it doesn't take much time.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2009, 03:56:03 AM »
This is why I recommend fresh garlic be used for antibiotic actions:

"The intact cells of garlic contain an odorless, sulfur-containing amino acid derivative known as alliin. When the cells are crushed, alliin comes into contact with the enzyme alliinase located in neighboring cells and is converted to allicin. Allicin is a potent antibiotic, but it is highly odoriferous and unstable.
Preparation of garlic, such as heating, microwaving, or drying, can substantially reduce the allyl sulfur compounds (allicin and alliin). Crushed raw garlic is highest in these components.

Garlic Essential Oil
No allicin or water-soluble components, not well standardized
Volatile Oils: Contains 1% or less oil-soluble sulfur compounds

Aged Garlic Extract
Water-soluble compounds: S-allyl cysteine, S-allyl mercaptocysteine, saponins
Volatile Oils: Small amount of oil-soluble sulfur compounds, including alliin, small amount of allicin, ajoene, diallyl trisulphide; terpenes such as citral, geraniol, linalool
Other constituents: S-methyl-l-cysteine sulfoxide, protein, minerals, vitamins, lipids, amino acids, prostaglandins (A2 and F 1 alpha)
Enzymes: Alliinase, peroxidases, myrosinase

Crushed raw Garlic
Volatile Oils: Contains most allicin (approx. 3.7 mg/g), alliin, ajoene, diallyl trisulphide; terpenes such as citral, geraniol, linalool
Water soluble compounds: S-allyl cysteine, S-allyl mercaptocysteine, saponins
Other constituents: S-methyl-l-cysteine sulfoxide, protein, minerals, vitamins, lipids, amino acids, prostaglandins (A2 and F 1 alpha)
Enzymes: Alliinase, peroxidases, myrosinase"
This info is from the Sloak Kettering Cancer Center website.  Their about herbs section is wonderful, but the information they present on study results is limited by the quality of the studies that have been dones, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline lavendergirl

• Adept
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
   I was just thinking of making up some more goot ,but this sounds much easier. My 16 yr. old ds has a swollen lymph node right by his ear. Right by the little flappy part ::) Does that make sense to anyone,hehe. It just came up. No other symptoms other than that. Do you think the garlic poultice might help?

Becky

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
   I was just thinking of making up some more goot ,but this sounds much easier. My 16 yr. old ds has a swollen lymph node right by his ear. Right by the little flappy part ::) Does that make sense to anyone,hehe. It just came up. No other symptoms other than that. Do you think the garlic poultice might help?

Becky

Yep!  I bet it would, if it's an infection.  Let's move garlic poultice discussions over to that board:
Garlic Poultice

Offline stevemuch

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #340 on: December 21, 2009, 03:48:58 AM »
how do you exactly make goot and how much should you take for cold and sore throat and how long to take it?  Three times a day or two etc.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #341 on: December 21, 2009, 06:40:38 AM »
how do you exactly make goot and how much should you take for cold and sore throat and how long to take it?  Three times a day or two etc.
Click here to take you back to the post with the recipe

Usage varies. Many folks have posted to this thread with their experiences. Some only use it morning and evening, others 3x per day. I find applying goot or garlic poultices every hour during waking hours to be most helpful, but perhaps not entirely necessary.

Offline stevemuch

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:04 PM »
Is the goot you made just crushed garlic cloves?  Also can you just crush garlic and then rub it onto your skin even if it burns a little?  I just crushed up 1 clove and rubbed it onto my neck area and up my nose which burned a little.  Also do you do this one time a day and for how many days?  I have a bad cold and cough.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #343 on: December 23, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »
Stevemuch, did you find the goot recipe? It's posted earlier in this thread and in my last post I made a link you can click on so you won't have to search for it.

GOOT is made with minced garlic, virgin coconut oil and olive oil.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #344 on: January 23, 2010, 04:13:50 AM »
The recipe at the beginning of this huge thread  ;D is WAY stronger than the one I used to use. 

The past couple years I've stuck with super fresh garlic presses.  In things like sore throats, they work amazingly well.  And, fresh every time I do one (not recycling)  ::)

There is so much great information here about Garlic!  This weekend I have a Garlic 101 article on line (below) and I would greatly appreciate any comments FROM garlic users (there is a comment box at the bottom of the page below the article). 

I'm sure my (normal!) local readers will think I'm nuts suggesting garlic for strep throat*...so anyone want to get my back?

*I do so gladly after several experiences of getting strep diagnoses, returning home, and curing it with garlic within a few hours!   (The problem of the strep test being an entirely different issue...)

Offline vdubmama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:26 AM »
would this be good to apply to my face directly for boils/acne?

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »

Hi Vdubmama.   ;D   I've never thought about garlic for acne/boils.  Have you tried tea tree oil?  We don't have many experiences with acne, and none for boils, but I have had really nice results on occasional spots by dabbing on Bentonite clay before bedtime.  It really draws out the infection, by the next morning even.

If you try garlic, I'd love to hear the results.    8)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:12 AM »
I think garlic poultices work better than GOOT for boils.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #348 on: February 04, 2010, 05:10:56 AM »
I would guess that is accurate.  We dabbled with goot a few years ago, but it doesn't seem nearly as effective as fresh crushed garlic. 

I think the major anti-biotic/viral effect happens within a few minutes of crushing it....so 'old' garlic or oil, may not offer the same benefits - not sure.  Our experience is fresh is so obviously effective, we don't even do goot the past few years.

For an infant, I would oil the skin, then do a brief, fresh garlic press for anything serious - or mix fresh crushed garlic in a bit of olive or coconut oil, and apply it to feet or chest immediately.  I would no longer store goot as I used to, because the effectiveness seems to drop quickly.

I have an article, with links, about garlic and how it works on infection at my column link in blue below if any is interested.

Where did goot originate, anyway?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
It might work, but be careful, if you make the stuff too strong, you could burn your face.  Just pay attention to the tingling.  I rub it on my face for sinus infections, but I generally wait about 15 minutes for the garlic to penetrate and then wash it off in the shower.  This seems to help prevent skin irritation, plus I get to wash off the garlic crumbs (feel like sand).

NOTE:  I make my GOOT fresh daily if I'm using it.  The old stuff doesn't seem to work well for us.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
Wow!  15 minutes is a long time for fresh garlic on skin.  ;D  Sounds powerful - Especially for a sinus infection.   :P

We do garlic presses right in the bathroom, before stepping in the shower - 2 minutes on the chest.  They seem very effective.  One of our girls seems to react very strongly to the press (red, burning skin) so she routinely puts coconut oil on her chest or neck first - which prevents the irritation (and cuts it immediately if she forgets and puts the press on first.)

The rest of us don't seem to notice burning - but we do just a minute or 2 each hour at most.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #351 on: February 08, 2010, 04:47:45 AM »
Wow!  15 minutes is a long time for fresh garlic on skin.  ;D  Sounds powerful - Especially for a sinus infection.   :P
a garlic press will burn more than the goot, I think.  The garlic goodies are diluted a bit in the goot.  When using goot on other parts of the body, I don't wash it off.  Usually I reapply throughout the day and then wash all the crumbs off before bed.  I only do the face because it's more tender and it tingles, so has more potential to burn and sometimes itch from the crumbs.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:49:21 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
« Reply #352 on: February 08, 2010, 05:15:21 AM »
My 6 yo has a sinus infection right now, and thanks HB, for the info.  I hadn't considered garlic right on his sinuses, but it seems VERY effective so far.  You are definitely right, it is strong as a press.  If he were much younger, I wouldn't trust myself to not harm his skin or cause him undue pain doing this.

I oiled his face, right before his bath, and had him close his eyes.  I applied the press for just 10 seconds or so, waiting for him to cue me it was stinging.  We removed the press immediately when he reported stinging.  The oil prevented any skin burns from the strong garlic. 

I held the press to his chest, then each foot for a minute or 2 also.

I've only done 2, 12 hours apart, but he seems dramatically improved.  Glad I read your note about sinus infection!  Thank you!

OK - WAY, WAY off topic here, but as a side note, my teen dd came home and mentioned our friend helped her relieve sinus congestion by pressing her right index finger for a moment.  (Actually, my dd passed out!  long story). 

So, I decided, without saying anything, to try this on my six year old.  He was distracted but I pressed and rubbed his index finger...and right away he noticed and said, 'Mom, you're making my nose itch.'  It seems mildly helpful.  : )

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
unintentional roast....i just made some GOOT, but i let the garlic go too long in the oil...it kind of got roasted and the GOOT is now brown rather than green. is it still ok to use? i think the "good stuff" entered the oils within the first couple minutes of it being cut and in the oil, right? wondering if i need to do it over again...?
*peace*

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »
unintentional roast....i just made some GOOT, but i let the garlic go too long in the oil...it kind of got roasted and the GOOT is now brown rather than green. is it still ok to use? i think the "good stuff" entered the oils within the first couple minutes of it being cut and in the oil, right? wondering if i need to do it over again...?

YES! start ALL over! if it makes you feel better, i think we've all done this a time or two. i learned to just stand there and wait for my coco oil to melt then take it off the heat and add the garlic and olive oil.  good luck!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2010, 08:36:13 AM »
thanks! just to make sure i'm right here, warm the coconut oil, then add olive oil and garlic...let set a min or two, blend, drain, refrigerate. i always added all ingredients while on the stove warming...no?
*peace*

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
Heat, time, and acids destroy the antibacterial component of garlic, which is one reason why I prefer garlic presses to GOOT.  Goot is most effective in the first hour or so after you make it, as far as the antibacterial properties.  You really don't want to get the oil hot, just warm enough to be liquid, and then add your other ingredients. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »
Heat, time, and acids destroy the antibacterial component of garlic, which is one reason why I prefer garlic presses to GOOT.  Goot is most effective in the first hour or so after you make it, as far as the antibacterial properties.  You really don't want to get the oil hot, just warm enough to be liquid, and then add your other ingredients.  
i don't heat my goot at all and i make it fresh every time i use it for just these reasons.  i only make it if we need alot (everyone is sick at same time) or i just need something potent.

i do not strain, either.  i use the emulsifier wand--the one with the blade-- (see picture) and just blend the tar out of it while the coconut oil is still hard.  i never have any problems getting it to mix and it's plenty strong since i don't strain.  be careful not to get too much garlic in your mix or you'll burn yourself, but if you get the measurements right on, the sting is only temporary  ;)  

i've put this stuff directly on my face.  if i get it too strong, i might have to wash it off after a few minutes, but usually i can leave it on for at least 15 and then shower it off (this is a very effective cure for sinus infections).  i've never had any problems with stinging on other parts of the body (chest, arms, back, etc.)

if it's a one or two time deal, i go with the poultices like gwen recommended.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:31:22 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jessica

• Adept
« Reply #358 on: February 09, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Does anyone know if it is ok to use GOOT on the eyelid?  My son has broken out in a herpes I virus on his eyelid and I'd like to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Jessica

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #359 on: February 11, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Jessica,

Do you have any Goldenseal? I would make a strong tea of Goldenseal, cool, and apply with a dropper and use as a compress on it.