Author Topic: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]  (Read 167834 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
« Reply #270 on: September 30, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
My real reason for looking at this thread though was to see if there was something else I could do with my leftover strained garlic.  Seems a waste to just toss it...  Any suggestions?  The goot is for my baby, she's the only one with a cold so far...

what i usually do when i make the goot is to throw the used garlic into a pot of soup that my kids call "garlic soup", even though it's my usual chicken noodle recipe, just with LOTS of added garlic!  that way we kick the cold two ways!  also, if you don't have a use for a big pot of soup, you could freeze it for a hour or so, then break it into chunks to be used in recipes. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2007, 02:27:35 AM »
Queentea, your example doesn't COMPLETELY blow my theory, although it does give me pause.

Just because something isn't organic, doesn't mean that it is necessarily full of pesticides and/or chemicals. Non-organic just means that there is no way to certify that the product hasn't been exposed to these things. So, it is possible that you benefited from a nice batch of non-organic garlic -- which is a good thing. I'm trying to figure out (with the help of all of you) what the variable is in those couple of instances where we got reports of a batch of goot which burned.

It also just occurred to me that if mama applied the goot right after having made the batch. There is another possibility. If the person who made the goot didn't wash hands before applying the ointment to an irritated part of the skin, straight garlic oil (from when it was minced) would have still been on her fingers and been transfered to the irritated skin. THAT would hurt.

I know I'm jumping in without having read the other 8 1/2 pages to see if SC's theory about the organic/non-org. garlic got figured out.  But I just made my first batch of goot and was wondering if the burning could have to do with the freshness of the garlic.  I have definitely had garlic that is dry/very little oil, and other times very plump and oily, and I'm guessing much more potent.  Perhaps that could be the difference (and most likely this idea is somewhere else in this thread).

My real reason for looking at this thread though was to see if there was something else I could do with my leftover strained garlic.  Seems a waste to just toss it...  Any suggestions?  The goot is for my baby, she's the only one with a cold so far...

Make spaghetti, garlic bread, whatever you would add garlic to.  We have even taken goot and spread it on our toast or pasta.  Yumm!

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
Can leftover Goot be frozen to use at a later time?
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #273 on: October 05, 2007, 01:12:43 PM »
I did a search and nothing came up about Goot and Athlete's foot. A friend of mine has had Athlete's foot for years and has used Goot with reasonable success. She does not eat healthy and will probably always have the problem, but I thought I'd post this here in case someone here has had problems with that and has recently turned to eating more healthilly. Athlete's foot is most commonly caused by an overgrowth of yeast, so when you work on cleaning out your body of toxins and getting everything back into balance again--or for the first time--you probably will easily get rid of that annoying itch on the bottom of your feet, or in between the toes. My observation with talking to my friend was that Goot is a good boost to whatever you do to get rid of it. If you begin to eat right, the Goot is a wonder medicine because it has your new immune system to support you, and the healing becomes amazingly fast. Also,when I go to the farm, I've tried to make it a point recently to put some on my feet as well because dirt and bugs are everywhere.That  plus seeing stagnant water from the recent emptying of the canals and all the, um, things that crawl in it make me jittery. :P Goot is a great peace of mind medicine, and I don't mind the Italian smelling farm shoes :).

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #274 on: October 05, 2007, 05:03:57 PM »

i don't think i would use it medicinally, but it could be frozen in 1/2 or 1 tsp. pieces for cooking. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #275 on: October 07, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

i don't think i would use it medicinally, but it could be frozen in 1/2 or 1 tsp. pieces for cooking. 

Thanks, 4myhoonie!
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
I have finally made and used GOOT. I love it! I felt a chest cold coming on, coughing, pain in chest, the works. I used it once and felt great the next morning. Still using it to make sure I kick this thing, but I love it!  ;D
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #277 on: November 03, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
Ok.  So I'm confused.  I always thought I was making this GOOT stuff.  I just use some minced garlic and some olive oil.  I think I got it from NGJ website. 

Anyway, I guess I never noticed the coconut. 

Wendy

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2007, 08:54:37 AM »
******NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!!!******

A couple weeks ago, my husband had chapped lips REALLY bad.  We had some Goot in the fridge, so one morning he put it on as "chapstick."  When he came home at noon, he told me that his lips had stopped hurting for three whole hours!

Goot Chapstick, anyone?

Caution...kissing may need to be optional!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »
Ok.  So I'm confused.  I always thought I was making this GOOT stuff.  I just use some minced garlic and some olive oil.  I think I got it from NGJ website. 

Anyway, I guess I never noticed the coconut. 

Wendy
The coconut oil is also antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. Since it hardens  at about 76 degrees, it also gives you more of a salve than just a liquid oil that can be messy. Using just garlic and olive oil is still going to serve you well, though!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #280 on: November 26, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »
Ok, I am a new GOOT convert.  We have "influenza" at our home and trying to kick it quick.  DD had 104.5 fever and between GOOT on the feet and peppermint oil on the head, she smelled great, slept great, and fever broke. 
QUESTION:  SIL wants to try goot but is a ninny about garlic smell.  She asked if they can use the "odorless" garlic oil that they use for ear infections at their house and have good success.  Will it work?
I told her the raw garlic was key, but then I guess why do they have success with odorless, processed garlic oil for ear stuff?
Any wisdom?
We did not mind the smell one bit!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2007, 01:52:46 PM »
I am making goot but my olive oil went rancid.  :-[  So should I use more coconut or just use my rancid EVOO?

Em

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »
I am making goot but my olive oil went rancid.  :-[  So should I use more coconut or just use my rancid EVOO?

Em
Pitch the evoo and use the co. If you ingested the evoo, it could make you sick, so it stands to reason you wouldn't want to use it for health problems, right?
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2007, 02:34:50 PM »

Em
Pitch the evoo and use the co. If you ingested the evoo, it could make you sick, so it stands to reason you wouldn't want to use it for health problems, right?

Thank You!

Em

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
I don't have coconut oil, could I just use more olive oil?  It wouldn't get pasty, would it?  My neighbor is a bee keeper.  Maybe he has some beeswax. 
I should've read this before I started the antibiotic for my boys (both boys) double ear infection.
If I can substitute beeswax, would anyone know how to do this?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »
I don't have coconut oil, could I just use more olive oil?  It wouldn't get pasty, would it?  My neighbor is a bee keeper.  Maybe he has some beeswax. 
I should've read this before I started the antibiotic for my boys (both boys) double ear infection.

Why don't you just use garlic oil ear drops?

Ear infections thread: (includes tons about garlic oil)
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3307.0.html

Garlic Oil thread:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8226.0.html

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »

Why don't you just use garlic oil ear drops?

Ear infections thread: (includes tons about garlic oil)
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3307.0.html

Garlic Oil thread:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8226.0.html

i like using the GOOT for ears for several reasons. 

1. it is already made and available, not being made fresh each time
2. it is easy to put in the ear if you do it quickly before it melts without making a mess.
3. and i can smear it all over the baby/child too for added benefits.

I think GOOT is great also....
But her children have ear infections and she doesn't have coconut oil.

IMO, here is the best option:
1. Diet overhaul.... only foods that boost the immune system and decrease mucous
2. freshly made (each time) Garlic Oil in the ears (where the infection is)
3. GOOT/Herbal Teas/Tinctures/Poultices, etc

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:23 AM »

Just a warning, olive oil has a really thick oily consistency, whereas the coconut oil is lighter and soaks into the skin better.  Personally, I really do not like putting olive oil in any mixture onto my skin because it takes hours to soak in.  :P  If it's in the ears, I would just go with the garlic oil recommendation.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #288 on: January 22, 2008, 05:33:52 PM »
We love and hate goot here!  ;D Love how it works but hate the smell!!!   :P I make it without the olive oil so it keeps longer. I put it into a Tupperware snack cup and after it harden pop out the disc and rub it on! (wearing plastic gloves or a baggie over hand of course!) GOOTSICLE! This works well and no need to set it out to soften. I used it for athletes foot, cleared in 2 nights of use. Far faster than the Lotrimine!
I'm wondering if you can apply goot and after a hour or so wash it off and get the same benefits, or do you need to leave it on all night????  ::)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:29:45 AM by Farm Wife »
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline hicchik

• Adept
« Reply #289 on: January 22, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
We love and hate goot here!  ;D Love how it works but hate the smell!!!   :P I make it without the olive oil so it keeps longer. I put it into a Tupperware snack cup and after it harden pop out the disc and rub it on! (wearing plastic gloves or a baggie over hand of course!) This works well and no need to set it out to soften. I used it for athletes foot, cleared in 2 nights of use. Far faster than the Lotrimine!
I'm wondering if you can apply goot and after a hour or so wash it off and get the same benefits????  ::)
We eat so much Italian around here, no one hardly notices the smell! ;D :D
Actually what I do for my babies, is: Warm some oil, mince a few cloves, put the minced garlic into the oil in a small bowl, add a good dash of Cayenne pepper, then put it on their feet.  They think its great.  They just lay down on the living room floor, and wait for about 2 minutes.  Then I wipe it off w/ a dry cloth, put some light socks on them, and send them to bed.  Ever since I started doing this, they've slept like babies when they have colds!  Thanks WTM for the great garlic tips!!!

Offline amenking

• Learning
« Reply #290 on: February 04, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
I just made a fresh batch of goot to use on my baby.   I am wondering if he might have parasite, so I thought I would use it around his anus just in case.  I added 20 or so drops of GSE to the mixture too. 

Well, I just put some on him and he cried.  I think it must have burned him.  Does it usually burn or do you think it is because of the GSE I added in?

He does not cry when I put it on his feet.  Do you think that it will be effective against parasites on his feet?

Thanks

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #291 on: February 04, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
I just made a fresh batch of goot to use on my baby.   I am wondering if he might have parasite, so I thought I would use it around his anus just in case.  I added 20 or so drops of GSE to the mixture too. 

Well, I just put some on him and he cried.  I think it must have burned him.  Does it usually burn or do you think it is because of the GSE I added in?

He does not cry when I put it on his feet.  Do you think that it will be effective against parasites on his feet?

Thanks

Does He have any kind of rash? That could burn. He may just not want you to put stuff there. Try plain coconut oil and see what he does.

Em

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Thanks
I've never had GOOT burn a red bottom. I've been using it about 5 years.
I've never added GSE to the mix. I've also never put GSE onto a baby's bottom.
So, while I can't say for certain that's what's causing it, I would certainly suspect it.

My rule of thumb is that before I put anything on a baby's privates, eyes, ears, nose, mouth or skin, I first test it on a most sensitive area of my own body (tongue, privates, soft skin) and wait for a reaction so that I am sure I don't cause a little one pain.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »
I have made GOOT several times, but this time mine turned out sticky! When I rub it all over my 3 mo old DS (for RSV), I feel like I have to wash my hands afterwards. Usually I would just rub it right into my hands like lotion, but I feel residually sticky if I don't wash. Any ideas of what happened?
Thanks,
Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2008, 03:20:34 AM »
I have made GOOT several times, but this time mine turned out sticky! When I rub it all over my 3 mo old DS (for RSV), I feel like I have to wash my hands afterwards. Usually I would just rub it right into my hands like lotion, but I feel residually sticky if I don't wash. Any ideas of what happened?
Thanks,
Corrie

i never know what causes that either, but sometimes it is worse than others.  sorry i am not much help, but just thought i'd let you know you're not alone.  :-\ 

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2008, 03:47:02 AM »
Thanks,
Corrie

i never know what causes that either, but sometimes it is worse than others.  sorry i am not much help, but just thought i'd let you know you're not alone.  :-\ 

I think it is just the feel of the juice at times. :-\

Em

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »
That happens to me soemtimes when I peel garlic. When thathappens to me I think it is like when oil collects around a pan and sticks to it through a few washings. As it gets old, it gets sticky.

How old were your garlic cloves? Maybe it was on the older side so more concentrated? Or were they large cloves so alot of oil could have collected on the outside where more air could get to it?
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2008, 06:26:13 AM »
Can someone tell me if I can make goot with Coconut butter instead of coconut oil?  I mistakenly purchased the butter instead of the oil last time.  I can't affort a jar of oil right now and I'm finally desperate enought to try goot.

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »
Can someone tell me if I can make goot with Coconut butter instead of coconut oil?  I mistakenly purchased the butter instead of the oil last time.  I can't affort a jar of oil right now and I'm finally desperate enought to try goot.

Same stuff...it's sometimes called coconut "butter" instead of oil when it's in solid form.

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2008, 09:23:42 AM »
Make sure it is coconut butter and not cocoa butter!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:25:17 AM by NotLuckyButBlessed »
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX