Author Topic: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]  (Read 172019 times)

Offline berthday

• Adept
Re: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »
My kiddos woke up with headachs and fever this A.M. and so I made some goot -got sidetracked and left it on the hot burner after I had put the garlic in it. It came to a boil b-4 I could get it off--Do you think it's still ok?
Thanks

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2007, 08:31:55 AM »
My kiddos woke up with headachs and fever this A.M. and so I made some goot -got sidetracked and left it on the hot burner after I had put the garlic in it. It came to a boil b-4 I could get it off--Do you think it's still ok?
Thanks
Sorry, but the antibiotic/medicinal properties of garlic are fragile. Cloves should not be cooked. The only reason I ever even place the oil on the stove is if I am making it in the cold of winter and need a way to liquefy the coconut oil. That's the only reason for heating it, because the coconut oil isn't liquid enough. All of the other ingredients: olive oil and garlic are not to be warmed.

You've got a nice topping for garlic bread and/or a nice seasoning for a main dish, but you don't have GOOT.  :-\ :)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2007, 03:14:09 AM »
i had a GOOT miracle the other day!  my son (2) started not feeling well in the morning and by 11:00 had spiked a 102.7 underarm fever!  so i made fresh GOOT which we applied.  i also gave him TTU and 3 garlic softgels.  the fever dropped considerably, but was still there before bed.  his big sis gave him a ginger bath, applied more goot and gave some Motrin for sleeping comfortably.  he woke up in the morning and it was totally gone!!!!  it was a miracle!  i thought my sister and her new baby would have to leave (they had just arrived from an 8 hour trip!) again!  GOOT is awesome!  i applied it again that day twice just in case.  Praise the Lord for the awesome garlic herb He gave us!!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2007, 04:03:07 AM »
How do you do the ginger bath?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2007, 07:52:27 AM »
OK I can't read through this thread without getting motion sickness so i need a quick question answered.

Can you make GOOT without the olive oil? what benefit is the OO? i made it before with the 3 components and didn't like the fact that everything was oil stained with the olive oil and for some reason i don't like the smell of the trio.
   ALSO i read the first part where SC said that mincing was better than the press...when i mince i notice most of the juicy goodness stays on my cutting board...when i press the good stuff goes right on in the mix! Just my opinion.
anyways
 thanks for any help
 kittyninja

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:40 AM »
   Can you make GOOT without the olive oil? what benefit is the OO?

You can make it w/o oilve oil and sub in more cocnut oil instead.  As far as I can tell, it's added to make the end produce a bit more liquidy than the coconut oil is alone.

So, instead of 3tb Olive & 3 Tb coconut, it's 6 Tb coconut.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »
Olive oil makes it softer. Not adding it will make a brick of a salve.
Also, olive oil helps it soak into the skin.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2007, 09:01:53 AM »
Do you think it would be ok to us aloe Vera gel to soften it and get it in the blood stream faster then?

Just thinking...

Em

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2007, 09:04:05 AM »
Do you think it would be ok to us aloe Vera gel to soften it and get it in the blood stream faster then?

Just thinking...

Em

IMO a garlic poutice is best and easiest. Anyway to get Garlic in the sytem works for me (so aloe is cool too)!

Also, garlic is most potent right after squashing it. It looses some potency during the GOOT hardening (in the fridge) process.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2007, 10:17:02 AM »
ok....i haven't been able to keep my little one's still enough to keep a poultice on them. my 5 year old YES but my 3 yr old and the 4 month old are to wriggly. SOO i thought the GOOT will be a GOOT solution...OH i'm silly...

what if i made a small amount of garlic and coconut oil to smear on them right now...so i don't have to put it in the refrigerator and lose the garlic properties? how long can i keep it out..say like a tablespoon of each?

Never mind....i just made it the oldfashioned way...gonna smear them up like a piece of toast...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:42:29 AM by kittyninja »

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »
Never mind....i just made it the oldfashioned way...gonna smear them up like a piece of toast...
That works great too!!!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2007, 12:32:41 PM »
WHY CAN'T I MAKE IT BETTER!? >:(
Just remember, each of the oils and the garlic has specific properties that make GOOT most effective IN THIS FORM (i.e. not frying the garlic in the oil or adding other ingredients). If you brainstorm for an alternative and/or use whatever you happen to have one hand (for instance, no extra virgin organic coconut oil, or organic cloves, or extra virgin olive oil) then you might just come up with something that has SOME benefits, but it won't have the same properties as -- and it won't actually be -- GOOT. A distant relative, but not GOOT.

I know it's hard to believe that three Tbsp of three ingredients could do so much and you don't even have to cook them. (BTW, refrigeration helps preserve the properties, not diminish them.) But GOOT is just one of those simple things that works without our fine tuning.

HTH

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »
I left my GOOT out overnight! is it still ok? it's all liquidy since our house stays in the high 70's 80's.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2007, 07:16:48 AM »
We take GOOT with us camping and it is often left out on such trips. I would think it is still good (since it hasn't been over 80 degrees), but would make a fresh batch within the week.  ??? HTH

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2007, 07:33:02 AM »
Ok THANK YOU!!
 The whole botulism thing worries me. since i am using it on my 5 month old.  i guess it would take a bit longer for that to happen though! thanks again! gotta make a new batch anyhoo!!
kittyninja

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »
Quick qeustion on GOOT -  I made my first batch as my kids are going to kill me if I garlic poultice them one more time  :D.  It came out like a thin hummus looks - wouldn't strain was thick.  I pushed is and maneuvered it through the strainer with a spoon pushing it back and forth until it looked dry, but is it o.k.  I got  maybe 1.5 ounces in a plastic tupperware container?  It doesn't make a lot hugh?  Can I put this directly on my kids chest and their feet as I have been with the Poultice?  What kind of skin reaction should be I expect?  Thank you  :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #257 on: September 16, 2007, 07:55:42 PM »
Quick qeustion on GOOT -  I made my first batch as my kids are going to kill me if I garlic poultice them one more time  :D.  It came out like a thin hummus looks - wouldn't strain was thick.  I pushed is and maneuvered it through the strainer with a spoon pushing it back and forth until it looked dry, but is it o.k.  I got  maybe 1.5 ounces in a plastic tupperware container?  It doesn't make a lot hugh?  Can I put this directly on my kids chest and their feet as I have been with the Poultice?  What kind of skin reaction should be I expect?  Thank you  :)

no, you don't get a lot, but a little goes a long way.  and i usually keep the used garlic and right away or later that day make a big pot of garlic, chicken noodle soup.  that way they get it both ways.  you should expect no skin reaction, just really "fragrant" kids and very soft skin!   ::)  now they will be complaining about stinking like an italian restaurant instead of the poultice!  great stuff, hope you have good luck with it!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2007, 01:25:37 AM »
Does the consistancy sound right - not very thick hummus?  It is a little grainy too?  I put some grapefruite seed extract and a little eucalyptus oil in it, but is sure is stinky  :o  My husband was helping me this weekend put it on 4 of the kids and he was gagging with the poultice#  :D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2007, 03:39:50 AM »
yup, the consistency sounds normal.  once it's chilled it can be pretty hard, and hard to get out.  but once it touches your warm hands it melts.  i don't put anything extra in it, we have all just gotten used to it and been using it for about 2 years i think.  none of us have ever had an antibiotic in that time!  it's awesome!   ;D  wouldn't trade it for anything.   ::)  i need a bumper sticker that says I LOVE GOOT!!!!   ::) 

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2007, 02:25:26 AM »
I made the GOOT and I love it, it worked wonders on my kids.  Now, my oldest daughter has a chest cold again, and I have no olive oil.  I know that olive oil is the best thing to add to it, but all I have is vegetable oil, is that a sufficient substitute?  I didn't get any concrete answers in the previous posts.  It's not a huge deal, I can get to the grocery store, but I'm babysitting my nephew these days, and it's a little harder to do groceries with three toddlers in tow!

Mama J.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2007, 02:30:47 AM »
I would just use only coconut.I think it it healthier.

Em

Offline homekeeper

• Learning
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
After reading all 9 pages of posts on this topic, I decided that Goot is what I needed for my 2 year old. She had an infected tear duct, it was leaking green puss and made her eye tear, so she had redness under her eye from the constant wetness.  Otherwise,  it wasn't bothering her, but it had been going on for over a week.  I wanted to nip it in the bud before it got worse. My father, who is a Physician Assistant, looked at it, and told me he would give her an antibiotic as opposed to eye drops for that particular thing.  So, I got on here and read and read.  Well, I made Goot that very day, and since I knew I couldn't put it into her eye, I started by rubbing it on her feet and chest and even her forehead.  It wasn't making a big difference.  I did that for a day, and then a friend of mine said she had an antibiotic ointment she rubbed under her son's eye.  So, I thought-duh-why not.  So I rubbed it under her eye and up the inside near the nose-right by the tear duct.  (I rubbed my fingers in my eye just to be sure it wouldn't hurt her to badly if it did get in there-It just felt a little warm)  And after 2 applications it was much improved, after 4 it was gone!  That was sooo fast!  I am definately a beliver!
My 2 1/2 year old was walking around "reading a book".  I hear her say "And God created the world with a big hug..."

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2007, 02:23:14 PM »
I am teaching an herbal enrichment class to our homeschool group soon and I want to teach the girls how to make goot.  I will be making it in a large batch in the church's kitchen and I am nervous because I have never made a larger batch than the original one posted.  Any suggestions on how to make enough to send 11 people home with some and make it all in one swoop?  I have about 40 minutes to prepare it in. I suppose I could always make up a bunch of batches beforehand and then just do one "live".

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #264 on: September 27, 2007, 04:25:52 AM »
I am teaching an herbal enrichment class to our homeschool group soon and I want to teach the girls how to make goot.  I will be making it in a large batch in the church's kitchen and I am nervous because I have never made a larger batch than the original one posted.  Any suggestions on how to make enough to send 11 people home with some and make it all in one swoop?  I have about 40 minutes to prepare it in. I suppose I could always make up a bunch of batches beforehand and then just do one "live".
Make sure you peel your garlic before you get there, maybe except one clove, so you can show them how it's done.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #265 on: September 27, 2007, 08:24:28 AM »
You know, I think that for sample purposes, one regular batch of goot could be split and sent home with 2 girls.  So, I would only make 6 batches total, maybe. That would help lessen the batches.   

Yeah, peel all the garlic first, except one, for example purposes, like HB said.

Maybe even have your olive oil/coconut oil all pre-measured in separate containers for the batches you'll make so that you just dump it all in?

Also, maybe on the computer, type out the recipe for each family, print, cut out and stick/tie it to the jar that you will pour their Goot in.  If you can do this all before that will make it easier.

Just throwing out random ideas!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2007, 08:46:29 AM »
Ditto the other ideas.  I made goot this summer with 4 other people and main issue was the overwhelming smell.  I think I peeled 2 whole heads of garlic and my house and blender definitely took a while to air out. 
Just have every thing prepared in advance and you'll be fine....just beware the smell for making that quantity.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2007, 06:07:15 AM »
Ditto the other ideas.  I made goot this summer with 4 other people and main issue was the overwhelming smell.  I think I peeled 2 whole heads of garlic and my house and blender definitely took a while to air out. 
Just have every thing prepared in advance and you'll be fine....just beware the smell for making that quantity.
Provide everyone with noseplugs ???   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #268 on: September 30, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
You know, I think that for sample purposes, one regular batch of goot could be split and sent home with 2 girls.  So, I would only make 6 batches total, maybe. That would help lessen the batches.   

Yeah, peel all the garlic first, except one, for example purposes, like HB said.

Maybe even have your olive oil/coconut oil all pre-measured in separate containers for the batches you'll make so that you just dump it all in?

Also, maybe on the computer, type out the recipe for each family, print, cut out and stick/tie it to the jar that you will pour their Goot in.  If you can do this all before that will make it easier.

Just throwing out random ideas!

Yeah, I think you're right.  I don't think we need that many full doses.  I'm sure it'll be fine. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't considered the smell! :o
I hope it clears before their church services!  hee hee

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #269 on: September 30, 2007, 02:40:50 PM »
Queentea, your example doesn't COMPLETELY blow my theory, although it does give me pause.

Just because something isn't organic, doesn't mean that it is necessarily full of pesticides and/or chemicals. Non-organic just means that there is no way to certify that the product hasn't been exposed to these things. So, it is possible that you benefited from a nice batch of non-organic garlic -- which is a good thing. I'm trying to figure out (with the help of all of you) what the variable is in those couple of instances where we got reports of a batch of goot which burned.

It also just occurred to me that if mama applied the goot right after having made the batch. There is another possibility. If the person who made the goot didn't wash hands before applying the ointment to an irritated part of the skin, straight garlic oil (from when it was minced) would have still been on her fingers and been transfered to the irritated skin. THAT would hurt.

I know I'm jumping in without having read the other 8 1/2 pages to see if SC's theory about the organic/non-org. garlic got figured out.  But I just made my first batch of goot and was wondering if the burning could have to do with the freshness of the garlic.  I have definitely had garlic that is dry/very little oil, and other times very plump and oily, and I'm guessing much more potent.  Perhaps that could be the difference (and most likely this idea is somewhere else in this thread).

My real reason for looking at this thread though was to see if there was something else I could do with my leftover strained garlic.  Seems a waste to just toss it...  Any suggestions?  The goot is for my baby, she's the only one with a cold so far...
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com