Author Topic: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]  (Read 131217 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 03:45:46 AM »
is it possible that if it got too hot when i warmed the oil, it would kill the important properties in the garlic? 

i think it's time to start feeding them raw garlic!   ;) ;D :o

Yes, the oil is only to be warmed enough to make it liquid. If you live in a warm climate, this may not even be necessary. If you HEAT the oil (like in cooking) it will cook the garlic and destroy the allinase in the clove. The healthful properties of garlic are fragile and subject to be destroyed when heated.

When garlic is crushed or broken, the enzyme allinase is released. This is one of thousands of constituents all interacting together in garlic. Allin(which becomes allinase) holds many of garlic's health-promoting properties and is just one of thirty sulfur compounds found in garlic.

When garlic is processed (cooked, dried, heated, ect.) and utilized outside of its raw state, you are receiving it in a diminished form. In it's natural state, scientists are still unable to discover all of the interworking properties that make it so effective. These agents are packaged in garlic in a way that make it effective in that it is very bio-available. In other words, your body recognizes it as a food -- something the human body was created to process, utilizing what it needs and disposing of that which is not needed. In their processed forms, extracted vitamins and/or supplements don't contain (cannot contain) the "whole package" as was given in nature and are at best a helpful substitute -- at worst, a false hope.

"Well, my bottle of garlic capsules says that it contains allinase," you say. Yes, the original garlic clove had that chemical in it. The label only tells you what went into the product. It does not measure what remains in the finished product. That's why even supplements that state they are from whole food sources, may not be best. A lot depends on the method they used in the processing. Everything from the binding agents, the capsules, and/or filler material could all damage and/or render the nutrient component useless. You'll want to be as educated about your supplements as you are about your herbs and foods. (sorry, that was off subject)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
Thanks for including this info - I really appreciate these 'basic facts' posts that give me the tools to figure out why things work... or didn't work.  Keep makin' me smarter!

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »
thanks SC!  that helps!  so olive oil doesn't need to be warmed at all then. cool!   8)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 10:38:18 PM »
Hello,
Is there any way to make odorless goot ? I made my first batch of goot ten days ago. It's not conclusive yet, as my children still have runny noses, but I want to keep trying. I rub their feet and chests with it, but am getting tired (as my husband is too) of having garlic-smelley babies... is their any way to have the beneficial effects of garlic without the smell ? Thanks for your advice.

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 02:10:58 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the info. SC!!  That's very good to know!  So is there much benefit at all in cooked garlic, or is it only in the raw?

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 03:18:12 AM »
IMO garlic in any form is of a benefit. It's just that in the case of illness, you want to give yourself every opportunity to fend off sickness, and raw garlic offers the MOST benefit.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »
feed it to them raw, wash it down with water.  i put it on a spoon & cover it w/ honey.  then they aren't greasy & only have garlic breath!   :P  i think it has more benefit to get rid of it faster. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

YoopreMama

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 04:35:24 AM »
Hey, all!

Made my 1st batch this week...think it's working on our coughs/sore throats, and an irritated UTI.  However, we have some small rashes on the chests...garlic irritating the skin or drawing something out?  It was after using it for 2 days.

Drank my 1st garlic tea, too (1 clove crushed w/ ACV and honey and hot water)...not as bad as I thought, and it seems to have helped my cold quickly.  That and the yummy smelling cinnamon foot oil!    :D

You all are helping our little household in Upper Michigan feel and (arguably  ;)) smell better!  Thanks!  :-*

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 01:47:20 PM »
I just had to share this...

I was telling a friend about Goot and this is the way our conversation went:

"The stuff is supposed to be anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and something else..."

She finished with, "Anti-relationships?"

LOL! :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 09:11:26 PM »
I just had to share this...

I was telling a friend about Goot and this is the way our conversation went:

"The stuff is supposed to be anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and something else..."

She finished with, "Anti-relationships?"

LOL! :P
*titter*  *snicker*  *snort*

were you looking for anti-fungal?  maybe  ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Keetonmamma

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 02:46:32 AM »
Has anyone tried goot on warts?
Hubby has awful warts on his hands that he has tried many over the counter stuff to get rid of them and nothing works.  He is now doing some internal natural things to rid himself of the wart causing virus, but I thought maybe goot would work as a topical.  Anyone out there tried this?

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 03:32:06 AM »
I'm not sure about GOOT on warts (although I don't see why not), but I thought warts could be a signal of a (zinc maybe?) deficiency?  ANYWAY.  Can you add other essential oils to GOOT.  I'm thinking Lavendar or Tea tree.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 05:26:12 AM »
Has anyone tried goot on warts?
Hubby has awful warts on his hands that he has tried many over the counter stuff to get rid of them and nothing works.  He is now doing some internal natural things to rid himself of the wart causing virus, but I thought maybe goot would work as a topical.  Anyone out there tried this?
Goot works internally as well as externally as it readily absorbs through the skin.  Garlic is a very strong antiviral.  He might be a little stinky, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 05:58:03 AM »
Just thought I'd post this warning.

I found out recently that Tea Tree Oil is poisonous if ingested.  So, if you add it to GOOT, please be sure to not eat it.   ;)

Blessings,
Dawn

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 06:36:30 AM »
Just thought I'd post this warning.

I found out recently that Tea Tree Oil is poisonous if ingested.  So, if you add it to GOOT, please be sure to not eat it.   ;)

Blessings,
Dawn

Where did you hear this?  I use mine on my gums a lot.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 06:48:49 AM »
This topic is about Tea Tree oil:
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,593.msg3771.html#msg3771

This topic says Poison Control has inhalation concerns:
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1908.0.html

Sarah K
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:34:59 AM by SarahK »
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 08:26:03 AM »
Quote from http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes.asp?ContentID=2173003
While tea tree oil can be applied to minor cuts and scrapes, use caution for more extensive areas of broken skin or areas affected by rashes not due to fungus. The oil may burn if it gets into the eyes, nose, mouth, or other tender areas. Some people have allergic reactions, including rashes and itching, when applying tea tree oil. For this reason, only a small amount should be applied when first using it. Tea tree oil should never be swallowed, as it may cause nerve damage and other problems.
For this reason, I hesitate to use tea tree oil in anything that I am using on small children. Although I have read reports of people using it on infants, I would not do so.

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »
I got this book from the library, The Woman's Book of Healing Herbs from Prevention Health books for Women.

Here's a portion of what it says on page 371 about Tea Tree Oil:

"Like other essentioal oils, it is meant for external use only (don't drink it) and it should be kept well out of children's reach.  Even a few teaspoons can be fatal."
I don't know if it applies to adults, but if it is fatal to children it should at least be harmful, if not deadly as well to adults.

Just a side note, it says: "In the laboratory, evidence shows that tea tree oil inhibits the growth of candida and other yeast and fungal infections."  I just read that and didn't know it before.   ;)

Anyway, that's where I read that TTO was toxic.  Hope that helps!

Blessings,
Dawn

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »
Made my first batch of GOOT yesterday!  Finally got my hands on some Coconut oil (hard to find in these here parts...and expensive!  $14 for a 15 oz jar!)

Anyway, my dd has diaper rash right now that I suspect is yeast.  It looks a lot like what my son dealt with for months on end before a doc finally told us it was a fungus.  So, I washed her bottom, coated it with GOOT and sent her to bed.  There was a moment of fussiness where we thought it was irritating her bottom.  DH said to me, do you think we need to wash it off?  I chose to wait and in 30 sec or so, she was fine.

I was worried about it.  I thought it called for 3 cloves and so I used a press on 2 LARGE cloves and left it at that.  Not sure how many tablespoons it was.

She looked a bit better this morning, but that's the way the store bought creams do too.  We washed her again and coated her bottom before nap time.

How often should we put it on?  I thought we'd continue a while just nap time and bed and see how it goes.  How long should I wait before I decide it is not working?  I  can be an impatient person - or I should say I AM one!

Blessings,
Dawn

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2006, 10:49:08 AM »
Made my first batch of GOOT yesterday! 
. . . .  I thought it called for 3 cloves and so I used a press on 2 LARGE cloves and left it at that.  Not sure how many tablespoons it was.
Dawn

Dawn, because the recipe calls for 3 tbsp of minced garlic, I don't use a press. Depending on the size of the cloves, I find that it takes anywhere from 4 to 6 cloves of garlic to equal 3 tbsp. If you are using the elephant cloves, it may take only 2 or 3 -- however, I've not seen a garlic press that would handle that size. IMO the press removes too much of the bulk of the clove from the garlic in this application to be beneficial.  :-\

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »
My family has had wonderful success with GOOT. I am completely sold on it.  I gave a friend a batch a few days ago when she had a respiratory ailment, and she was impressed.  She has several children, and was also able to get some well needed extra rest because they hated the smell.  :D
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 03:42:23 AM »
I have heard that Parsley helps get rid of the odor when you take garlic internally, so maybe adding Parsley to the GOOT would work. Anyone tried it?

I have been reading the posts on GOOT but have not made any because of the smell... my husband does work around other human beings and the kids and I do go out in public about once or twice a week. LOL!
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline barrybunch

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »
Hello,

Can I make GOOT withouth the coconut oil? I have a little "sickie", running a fever, sore throat.....

Thanks !

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
Many of us on here have used garlic oil on our children with great success. I let garlic sit in olive oil and rub the oil on my child's chest, throat, and the soles of his feet. If I have leftover oil I strain out the garlic after I feel the oil is strong enough and keep it in the fridge for next time. Garlic oil is also great for ear infection.

Offline barrybunch

• Learning
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2006, 01:57:59 PM »
 :)
Thanks, KatieMac!!  (i'm a katie, too!)  I did the poultice on the feet, with paper towel once today and already noticed some improvement. I will try the olive oil and garlic tonight, *After* we get home from Bible Class!  ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
Do you have to use high quality Coconut oil or can it be the cheap stuff from Walmart? Can I put it on my 2 month old? She has a horrible congested cough. I tried the garlic in a paper towel but I used a garlic press. It was a bit burny. It seems like you could get more of the juice of the garlic by using a press. But maybe the healing qualities are not necessarily in the juice? By "mince" you mean just cutting it up real small? Sorry for all the questions!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
I would think that the high quality CO would be best, but use what you have available.  You can even do just the olive oil and the garlic.

Yes, mince is to chop up very small, though a garlic press would do okay, as you do want the "juice".

Using it on the 2 month old should be fine, just be sure to strain it well so that the garlic doesn't burn her (not sure if you said her?).

HTH

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »
GREAT! I will try it tonight!  ;D  Yes, my baby is a girl  ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
I do NOT recommend using a garlic press to make Goot. You want the full clove to be in the mix as much as possible.

A garlic press doesn't allow for this. Also, this would require many more cloves to equal 3 tablespoons than would mincing. IMO, this would be far too potent to put on skin -- especially sensitive skin -- and possibly lead to a burn.

It doesn't take but 10 minutes to cut up the cloves. Use the flat side of your knife, lay it on top of the clove and smash the clove by hitting the flat of the knife with your other hand. The clove will slip easily out of the skin. Then, all you have to do is chop it up, measure, put it in a measuring cup with the oils and whirl with your hand wand mixer. Remove any bits that didn't get pulverized and you've got GOOT.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:27:40 PM by SC »

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
I'm confused as to why using a press does not entail getting out the whole clove. I peel my garlic, and then press it, then I use the cleaner to get out the rest of the clove and I add it in to whatever I am preparing. If done this way, is it still a problem?