Author Topic: Bottles, Pacifiers & Sippy Cups  (Read 25312 times)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Bottles, Pacifiers & Sippy Cups
« on: October 28, 2006, 02:31:12 PM »
Then, he finally took a bottle around the age of one

Yeah.. my 15-month-old starting drinking water in a bottle around 10 months.  She has never enjoyed a sippy cup.  Is that a big deal?

I still just give her a bottle most of the time.  I suppose I should have started with sippy cups.  The World says kids shouldn't stay with bottles too long..... is this something they are actually right about?  :D

Just wondering....

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 02:36:49 PM »
Well, if you are really concerned with a cup then put something in a cup to drink that is really sweet.  She will think that all sweet and good things come in a cup and won't want a bottle anymore.  This is how I got my son to take a bottle.  I put in a sweetened tea and he liked that to the point where he could comprehend how to suck on one.  Unfortunately, he liked the switch too much that he was done with nursing by 14 months.   ;)

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »

Yeah.. my 15-month-old starting drinking water in a bottle around 10 months.  She has never enjoyed a sippy cup.  Is that a big deal?

I still just give her a bottle most of the time.  I suppose I should have started with sippy cups.  The World says kids shouldn't stay with bottles too long..... is this something they are actually right about?  :D

Just wondering....
WAl Mart has these cups. Sort of like a cross between a bottle and a cup. They work great for me. I can't find them on the walmart site.

Ebay sells them to. They are really easy to clean even without a dishasher.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-New-No-Spill-Nuby-10-oz-Gripper-Cup-Sippy-Cups_W0QQitemZ280041014675QQihZ018QQcategoryZ117387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:59:20 PM »

Just wondering....
WAl Mart has these cups. Sort of like a cross between a bottle and a cup. They work great for me. I can't find them on the walmart site.

Ebay sells them to. They are really easy to clean even without a dishasher.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-New-No-Spill-Nuby-10-oz-Gripper-Cup-Sippy-Cups_W0QQitemZ280041014675QQihZ018QQcategoryZ117387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LOL
I bought those last week from WalMart.
She is not a fan.

However, I supposed she would get acclimated be if that is all I gave her.  ::)

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 02:19:09 AM »
You know, I personally don't have any concern about whether or not my children are hooked on a bottle rather than a sippy cup:) It kind of bothers me how 'they' whoever 'they' are push that our babies should be off the bottle at 1 year and everything else. My sister had a bottle till she was 3. The way I look at it, if it's normal for children to nurse for over a year, then why should bottles be different?

That being said all of my babies have been bottle fed and transitioned to cups just fine...well two so far. My third is only 8 months. She likes her little cup, but most definitely prefers the bottle.

I agree! I even got fuzzy looks from cashiers at walmart when my son was drinking his bottle at 15 months, I persanolly nursed untill i was 2 1/2 years old,  ???  but he did finally switch to his cups, PLEASE lets allow our babies to be babies for the while that they ARE babies,  ;D
  My son loves his "dea"  (tea) he drinks chamomile mostly, he has his own cup just like everybody else, he has had it since 6 months old,
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:22:44 AM by healthybratt »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 04:09:59 AM »
You know, I personally don't have any concern about whether or not my children are hooked on a bottle rather than a sippy cup:) It kind of bothers me how 'they' whoever 'they' are push that our babies should be off the bottle at 1 year and everything else. My sister had a bottle till she was 3. The way I look at it, if it's normal for children to nurse for over a year, then why should bottles be different?

That being said all of my babies have been bottle fed and transitioned to cups just fine...well two so far. My third is only 8 months. She likes her little cup, but most definitely prefers the bottle.

I agree! I even got fuzzy looks from cashiers at walmart when my son was drinking his bottle at 15 months, I persanolly nursed untill i was 2 1/2 years old,  ???  but he did finally switch to his cups, PLEASE lets allow our babies to be babies for the while that they ARE babies,  ;D
  My son loves his "dea"  (tea) he drinks chamomile mostly, he has his own cup just like everybody else, he has had it since 6 months old,

??? ??? ???
Well, I've managed to have babies every time I've given birth. They thought pacifiers were projectiles and HATED the feel of a bottle in their mouths. In my experience, babies use whatever we train them to use for comfort. My guys were always excited to take on the challenge of learning to use a cup like big people. Bottles and pacifiers would have been a great convenience for me, but I never did understand how they benefited the development of a child -- unless he/she was unable to breastfeed.

Oh, I thought I'd pass along . . . A friend of mine who is a breastfeeding promoter, just adopted a little boy. He is 8 months old and is the first child she has NOT breastfed. Not long ago I heard her say, "Anyone who tells you that it's easier to bottle feed than breast feed, is CRAZY! I'm so tired of mixing formula!"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:22:59 AM by healthybratt »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:16:04 AM »
??? ??? ???
Well, I've managed to have babies every time I've given birth. They thought pacifiers were projectiles and HATED the feel of a bottle in their mouths. In my experience, babies use whatever we train them to use for comfort. My guys were always excited to take on the challenge of learning to use a cup like big people. Bottles and pacifiers would have been a great convenience for me, but I never did understand how they benefited the development of a child -- unless he/she was unable to breastfeed.

"Anyone who tells you that it's easier to bottle feed than breast feed, is CRAZY! I'm so tired of mixing formula!"

So, do you think it is harmful for 14/15-month-olds to have bottles?

Here's my personal example.....she never took a pacifier, she drinks out of my cup and out of a sippy cup.  She just plain prefers bottles. She also still nurses several times a day. When she gets in bed with us early in the morning.....she either nurses or sips on a bottle while cuddling with us.  Is that the comfort training you were talking about?

Also, your friend is right! The times she had to eat out of a bottle (pumped milk).... I was shocked at how annoying it was to clean those bottles.  I also realized then that formula and pumping into bottles it not such a cake walk.  ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 05:55:05 AM »

I wouldn't use the word harmful unless I saw that the child's oral cavity was not developing well. I would want to know how the muscle tone in the mouth was coming along (chewing and speaking skills). I would also be interested in the positioning of the teeth. If there weren't any counterindications, then no physical harm is being done.

As far as other developmental issues, all things being equal, a bottle alone won't create an insecure child unable to comfort himself/herself. Too many other factors are at work to make such a blanket statement.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 07:15:54 AM »

I wouldn't use the word harmful unless I saw that the child's oral cavity was not developing well. I would want to know how the muscle tone in the mouth was coming along (chewing and speaking skills). I would also be interested in the positioning of the teeth. If there weren't any counterindications, then no physical harm is being done.

As far as other developmental issues, all things being equal, a bottle alone won't create an insecure child unable to comfort himself/herself. Too many other factors are at work to make such a blanket statement.

Thanks for your thourough response SC.

I do not think my daughter having physical or developmental problems because of the bottle.
She has nice teeth, has excellent language development for her age, and does not seem to be comforted by the bottle (she is comforted by the breast).

I think that when I want her off the bottle it will be quite easy.... I just need to get rid of them.  She'll be fine.

come to think of it.....the problem lies more with me! If I want her off....I'd better teach her to drink from something else and enjoy it!

Have a nice day.  ;D

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:49:01 AM »
I have a friend whose just-turned 3 year old can drink out of a regular cup - not sippy - no lid - and he never spills a drop! My kids mess up the floor more with their sippy cups than he does with his regular cup.  So I'm wondering if maybe I should just train my next one to use a regular cup! I guess that's probably what our parents trained us to do, but I still can't imagine how!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:57:48 PM by juliaofsunnyside »

Offline rainydayz

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 05:59:01 PM »
Yeah, I started my first kiddo out with cup instead of a sippy, and it worked just fine.  She has been able to drink from a regular cup, buy herself since she was 18 months, shes two now. She made more of a mess with the sippy sup because she would purposefully turn it upside down and shake it all around  :-[

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Bottles, Pacifiers & Sippy Cups
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 06:47:51 AM »
Do kids who take bottles take pacifiers more easily? 

Both of my kids solely breastfeed, and will neither take a bottle nor a pacifier.  They FREAKED when I offered them either (even though the bottle had breastmilk in it).  My older son did take a breastmilk bottle from my sister or husband if he was desperate and I was nowhere around.  But this was only once or twice.  We are looking at adopting another kid or two, and I'm just wondering: are some kids just noncompliant or what?  Did you have to work to get your kids to take pacifiers?
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
   About the harm to teeth with bottles, our first son had a bottle til after a yr old and loved to have it when he went to bed. I made sure it was empty before he went to sleep,thinking that might keep his teeth from rotting. I also diluted his juice 50%. At 2 yrs. old he developed 2 cavities at the top of his two front teeth. According to the dentist, it was from the sippy cups and no doubt the bottle's at bedtime. Needless to say, that was the last child that drank from a bottle at bedtime. Somehow, breastfeeding doesn't do that, God knows what He's doing.  Our youngest does take water to bed, sometimes, but that's it.

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 05:29:53 AM »

I was a Speech Language Pathologist before having our daughter.  SC is right.  I saw kids whose parents I encouraged to get off sippy cups/bottles because there were oral-motor delays, but if your child is developing alright in all above mentioned area, it should be alright.  I used to encourage parents to be introducing the cup by 12 months.  But, now that I have my own, I realize how much of a MESS it can be to try to convert completely over at that age.  My daughter is 18 mo now and I will give her a plastic cup with ony about two swallows of liquid in it and that seems to work for a maximum of ten minutes.  I take it away when she starts to 'play' with it and make a mess.  To her that is bad news because she WANTS to be like Mommy & Daddy.  So I am hoping eventually we will be mess free!

Now I will say that many Speech Language Pathologist would disagree with me.  Many would say that a child should be off bottles completely by age 12 months and should be getting rid of sippies too.  However, I am not quite so dogmatic about my position.  Here's why;

We nursed until our daughter was 12 1/2 months (Would've gone longer, but won't go into details).  She would NEVER leave a bottle in her mouth for even a second and never would take a pacifier either.  So to say the least, getting my daughter to use a bottle or sippy cup was a CHORE!   I think we owned every type of sippy cup there was trying to encourage her to ween.  The sippy cups with the soft sylacone nipples were finally what she went to.  We now use only regular Playtex with the rubber valves inside.  They are the ONLY cups that don't leak!  And even they will wick if upside down against something absorbant.

Cups are messy and I only have ONE child.  A mother that has multiple children to attend to AND deal with a toddler with a cup... YICKES!  This is reality. 

The other thing is the issue of hydration.  Now this is my PERSONAL opinion and not a professional one:  When I began weening my daughter, she DID NOT drink enough from the sippy cup much less a real cup.  Even now, she does not drink enough from a cup to hydrate herself properly.  If I didn't give her a sippy cup throughout the day I do not believe she would be properly  hydrated.  "I" am constantly running to refill my glass with water, so why not my daughter getting a drink outside of mealtime?  When I worked, I did not use a glass; I used a water bottle so that there would be reduced chance of a mess.  I do not think it is out of line to let my daughter have a sippy cup throughout the day to reduce mess either.  She gets practice with a cup at dinner (on a semi-frequent basis) and I feel that is enough.

So, that is my 2 cents worth.  Yes, there is research out there condemning sippy cups and bottles after a certain age, but as with all research we must read it, digest it, compare it, anylize it, and decide if it applies to OUR personal lives.  And this is just MY bent on the issue   :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:04:45 AM by here-n-there-a-little »

Offline vinniesgirl

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 06:47:57 AM »
Do kids who take bottles take pacifiers more easily?

Both of my kids solely breastfeed, and will neither take a bottle nor a pacifier.

My babies have all been breastfed and took a pacifier willingly, as well as a bottle.  My oldest wouldn't take a bottle from me though.  As far as the pacifiers go, I don't think breastfeeding has anything to do with it.  I have neices and nephews that were solely breastfed and absolutely refused to tolerate one.

My personal opinion is that I wonder why anyone would willingly put there kid on a bottle :P.  I had to with my first 2 kids as I was working and am looking forward to skipping that step now with my third.  Most people don't mind the mess and hassle, but I sure do!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »
So, that is my 2 cents worth.  Yes, there is research out there condemning sippy cups and bottles after a certain age, but as with all research we must read it, digest it, compare it, anylize it, and decide if it applies to OUR personal lives.  And this is just MY bent on the issue   :)

So do you think sippy cups after a certain age or too much sippy cup-use will be bad for their oral development? I still have my almost 5 year old using one - it just keeps things simpler!

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 04:54:50 PM »
So do you think sippy cups after a certain age or too much sippy cup-use will be bad for their oral development? I still have my almost 5 year old using one - it just keeps things simpler!

I think each situation needs to be looked at individually.  Just as stated in previous posts, if all of the mentioned areas are developing as they should, then there is probably not any reason to be concerned.  Its been a while since I have read anything on the sippy cup/bottle use issue so I can't remember the details.  If you have concerns regarding oral development you might take a look at sippy cup use as well as many other things in the child's life as a whole to see if any of it is affecting his or her development.  If you have not noticed any lags in development by now (considering the child is 5), I doubt that sippy cup usage is having any effect.  I am sure that my daughter will be using some sort of spill proof cup for QUITE a while (especially when we are out an about) in order to avoid disasters!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 08:24:08 AM »
Okay, I'm not really worried about this but I've just never heard of this before - you are saying that sippy cup use can hinder development? What kind of development? Just their teeth? They're usually not actual sippy cups my son uses, just cups with a lid and a straw. But that would be like any kid using straws or a water bottle, right?

My husband had a reputation in his college dorm cafeteria for being the guy who always spilled his drink  ;D ;D.  If my kids take after him, we may be using sippy cups till they get married  :D :D!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 08:25:48 AM by juliaofsunnyside »

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »
I'm also a speech pathologist and have seen the problems with children who use sippy cups into school age. IMO the problem has come from this new fast paced generation. Who hasn't noticed all the cars with cup holders and now water bottle holders. Children are being carted around in car seats and drinking in sippy cups hours and hours each day. Mom's get off work and heads to the day care to fight bumper to bumper traffic, long chores, soccer games, etc. It is nothing for a preschooler to sip continually for hours each day. The mouths are taking hitting. But if you use the sippy cup at the table and when they are thirsty,  I believe it is no big deal. It's just the continual cup in the mouth. We take so many things to the extreme. So watch to see if your child has a habit of continually sipping.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »
Interesting, though, maybe if we were to slow down, we'd be able to teach them how to hold the cup and put it on the table correctly, and we wouldn't get as frustrated if they spilled it. Anyway, it sounds like you are both saying that it only becomes a problem when it's a constant fixture in their mouth.

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 04:55:42 AM »
Interesting, though, maybe if we were to slow down, we'd be able to teach them how to hold the cup and put it on the table correctly, and we wouldn't get as frustrated if they spilled it.
[/color]

YES!  YES!  YES!   ;D

I work in a preschool program with three, four, and five year olds.  It's amazing how many kids we have come in who have never had a drink out of a real cup before!!  A three-year-old is perfectly capable of pouring their own drink into a cup, and drinking it without spilling.  Some tips for implementing this without losing your mind:

- We use child size pitchers of milk
- We use small bathroom cups - if you want washable ones, you might try finding some toy cups from a play set
- The children are only allowed to pour the milk half-full.  It takes them about 1 day to learn this, and they know what half full is after that!  (This keeps any spills very small.)
- Any time a child spills, we react saying, "Oh it's no problem - here's a rag for you to clean the mess."  We are cheerful and calm and assure the child that accidents happen and that it's not a bit deal.  We keep rags and paper towels nearby for them to clean their mess and they learn quickly how to take care of things themselves.  When the mess is cleaned up, they help themselves to some more milk out of the pitcher.  That being said, spills don't happen too often once they children have enough practice with pouring.

By the time children are three, they should be doing most things for themselves with just a little bit of help from adults.  I think it's all about expectations.  Children are certainly capable if they are given the time, space, and instruction that they need. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:58:08 AM by heatheronthehill »

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »
This is still one of my favorite things I've learned on here. I gave my 2 and 5 year old regular cups and quit the sippy cups cold turkey - I think we spill a lot less often because sippy cups drip all over the place and we have other types of accidents with them! Of course with a regular cup you spill more but at least you know it's been spilled and you can get it all wiped up right away. I want to get my 16 month old using a regular cup soon, we need to work on her playing in the drink rather than drinking it first, though.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
This is still one of my favorite things I've learned on here. I gave my 2 and 5 year old regular cups and quit the sippy cups cold turkey - I think we spill a lot less often because sippy cups drip all over the place and we have other types of accidents with them! Of course with a regular cup you spill more but at least you know it's been spilled and you can get it all wiped up right away. I want to get my 16 month old using a regular cup soon, we need to work on her playing in the drink rather than drinking it first, though.

I finally learned this too after about 6 or 7 babies! It is SO much nicer not to mess with sippy cups all the time! We too just fill their cups about a 1/3 full and starting around 20 mo. they do real well. I HATE washing sippy cups, esp. the no-spill ones with the thing that sticks in the lid. I still use them when in a vehicle, etc.

And btw, mine basically go from breastfeeding to a sippy cup only briefly, then on to a regular cup. I breastfeed til about 15-17 mo.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 02:18:27 PM »
20 mo, that's good to know!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
That was my last 2- girl who was careful and neat, and boy who had extra early, good coordination. :) I have a feeling some of my other boys may not have been able quite that early.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
Most of my children have gone from breastfeeding to sippy cups and then a regular by 18 months.  Cups were to be had in the kitchen at the table and not dragged all through the house.  That really kept the mess down and in an easy to clean area.  ;)
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 05:16:46 AM »
  Cups were to be had in the kitchen at the table and not dragged all through the house.  That really kept the mess down and in an easy to clean area.  ;)

Exactly. :)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »
Yes, yes, yes! More like it's discipline for me than them - I'm sure not to let them take their regular cups around whereas a sippy cup I'm not so concerned about, although I should be, especially with those leaky WalMart ones. I've also noticed it encourages better table manners - they have to put their cup back in it's "home," not reach for things, not go swinging their napkin around or whatever - also a discipline for me since I'm more aware of these things when there is an open drink sitting there!

cecac

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
I have a question.  My dd is 15 months old and she has been completely bottle fed since six weeks old.  I decided about two weeks ago to put her on a sippy cup.  She is acting like as if I am weaning her from nursing! :-[  I assumed (this is my first bottle experience) that she would transition very easily, so when I realized it was making her fussy, I began to give her a bottle 1-2 times per day and a sippy cup the rest of the time.

So, I am just wondering if I should not try right now, perhaps only giving her a cup once a day or something.

I noticed (sorry, I can't quote here) that SC did share some concerns for speech development.  DD is not talking, although she can say a word every now and again.

So, when should I be concerned about speech development?  I am just trying to understand if I should keep on with it or just go ahead and comfort her with the bottle and not worry about it.  She is kinda crabby right now!!

Thanks,
Cara

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 02:13:27 PM »
Every kid speaks when he/she is ready.  My husband's family (parents and extended family) said they were all worried because he didn't say a word until he was 2.  He pointed, grunted, nodded, and so on.  His parents (very hands off, to put it lightly) just didn't encourage him to speak, and they allowed him to use body language.  I have seen several kids say only a few words until they were almost 2 and then begin to speak in sentences; they knew full well what was going on, they just weren't motivated to speak.

That said, now that I am keeping a 17 month old little girl in my home full time, she had a bottle and still uses a pacifier, she only says a handful of words, whereas my 17 sonth old son is speaking in sentences.  My son is a second child, she's an only child.  He never took a bottle or pacifier, she had both.  He's had a stay at home mom, her mom works.  So it's multifaceted in my opinion.  But personality, comfort and training have as much to do with it as whether or not they have a bottle or pacifier.  I've seen tons of kids take the bottle (or pacifier) out to talk, and then go right back to sucking away.

I'd say that when you choose to take away the bottle it should be cold turkey, and she should get the sippee cup all of the time, even at bed time and on road trips and at Grandmas... you see where I'm going.  It's just gone.  Throw them away and tell her she can drink from the sippee cup (or cup with a straw) or she can go without because it's all you have.  Show her the empty cupboards.  Bury it in the back yard.  Tell her the bottle fairy came to take it to other babies who need bottles and she's a big girl now (I had one friend who used this technique on all 3 of her kids with a pacifier and had great success). 

You know her and what she will respond to, but if you say no more bottle, then no more bottle.  That's it.  You can do it; be firm.  It will be hard, but encourage her to be a big girl.  Drink a cup of milk with her.  Sing the milk song.  Make it fun.  You might wait until she's 18 mos. or 2 years old, whatever you and husband decide is right for her, but being firm, patient, and unwavering is key.  Just my $.02.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.