Author Topic: Ticks any advice?  (Read 31751 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Ticks any advice?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 04:57:33 AM »
Waaaahhhhh!  I am seriously having trouble with this...my baby and I sleep in this bed with dh..... :P :P :P I checked him all over with a comb and did not see any more (he found it crawling in his hair) but he says he doesn't know when it got on him :P :P :P  Ds had one on the rim of the leg of his spiderman suit yesterday in the livingroom.  I had all the kids take baths and did not find anymore on them as I checked them over.  Could my house really be infested?  or just coincidence???  I haven't seen anything crawling around....why IN the house.... :'( :'( :-X :P
Ticks don't live in houses that I'm aware of.  They hang out in trees and such.  You most likely carried them in on your socks or clothing and they just never got a good grip before you found them. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:16 AM »
Ticks often come in on pets. 

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »
littlemama24,

I just let my boys be boys. We check for ticks whenever we remember to. Personally, I feel that if they do not get exposed to things like ticks and "cess pool ponds" now, how will they know what to do later? We dealt with Lyme Disease last fall with my middle son. There are no side effects from it or the treatment. It is a fact of life, sickness will come. Don't worry too much and let God protect them. That is all the advice I can give to your question. I just try not to think of the dangers when they are playing. CJ

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
My son showed up with a tick on him, and since then I've made more of an effort to keep him out of the TALL grass... but living in the country just kind of goes hand in hand with ticks (shudder). I HATE ticks, and do make an effort to avoid them, BUT... if one does show up on someone in my family, this is what we use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FXWHOY/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

This thing is way cool. So far, it has ALWAYS gotten the whole tick out with no problem. I'm thinking about getting another one to keep in my purse or the car all the time.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 03:09:44 AM »
thank you for sharing that; I didn't know such a thing existed!

and thanks to everyone for the "pep talk".   ;D  I'm a lot calmer about it all now... ::)

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 04:44:21 AM »
One other thing... Rose Geranium essential oil. I haven't tried this yet myself, (so I can't "recommend" it), but it sounds like it might be worth trying, especially if you have pets that are bringing ticks into the house.

I found this article and thought it sounded promising.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tick-repellant.html

This seemed to be a fairly safe option, and it might even smell good!  :) It doesn't seem to be recommended for use on cats, though.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 01:54:56 AM »
  We've also heard that this will be a bad year for ticks. We've never found a tick on any of kids til this yr. 3 ticks on the same child in the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure who's more grossed out. THe 6 yr. old dd. or her mama.
 CJ, thank you for the encouraging words. We have friends who the whole family has lymes and know the struggle it can be, and yet, we can't live in a glass bubble. How did you treat the lyme's in your son?

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 03:12:55 AM »
I need some advice!  My 5 year old ds had seed ticks all over him yesterday.  He and my dh went out "exploring" in the woods before lunch time, but I didn't see them until shower time last night.  I tried to pull them off with tweezers, but could not for the life of me get a grip.  So, I scraped them off--probably not a good idea.  But they came right off and I put them in a cup of soapy water--they were still moving around so I'm assuming I got the heads of most of them.  Well, I think he's allergic to tick bites--he's covered in welts not only where the ticks were, but in places where they must have bit and then moved on.  He looks like he's got the chicken pox it's so bad!  I put tea tree oil on them last night and then this morning I put clear anti-itch gel on them.  Should I do anything else?  Would you give him Benadryl?  I don't usually use stuff like that, but he's miserable! 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I was bit by a Lyme tick 8 years ago and it was AWFUL!  Just wondering what I can do--oh and there's one in his belly button that I can't get out--should I just wait and hope it moves or what?!!?

Thanks, guys!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 04:54:33 AM »
Get it out of his bellybutton.  Definitely get it off of him.

We use green salve made from plantain on any sort of bites/stings/plant rashes.  It's astringent, so it draws the poisons out.  The quicker you use it, the better it works.  My father in law used it on a tick bite, and he usually gets horrible welts that itch for weeks.  He used the salve, and didn't even have a mark the next day.

If you want to make the salve, google (image) plantain and go find some.  It's going to seed right now, so it's extra easy to spot.  Chop it coarsely and simmer really low in olive oil for a couple of hours to make plantain oil.  Or you can just blend it in the blender with some aloe or water and slather it on for instant comfort.

HTH!
Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39:37 AM »
Get it out of his bellybutton.  Definitely get it off of him.

We use green salve made from plantain on any sort of bites/stings/plant rashes.  It's astringent, so it draws the poisons out.  The quicker you use it, the better it works.  My father in law used it on a tick bite, and he usually gets horrible welts that itch for weeks.  He used the salve, and didn't even have a mark the next day.

If you want to make the salve, google (image) plantain and go find some.  It's going to seed right now, so it's extra easy to spot.  Chop it coarsely and simmer really low in olive oil for a couple of hours to make plantain oil.  Or you can just blend it in the blender with some aloe or water and slather it on for instant comfort.

HTH!
Gwen

Thank you!  I actually had some plantain salve in the cupboard!  I slathered him up in it after cleaning each one with alcohol :o!  I wanted to be sure they were clean before putting a salve on it (we've had some staph issues this past year).  It definitely stopped the itching--hopefully I got it on in time to take care of some of the welts. 

How often would you put it on him?  I have enough for one more application--I'm running low and too chicken to find plantain in my yard.  I did go out and look and couldn't find anything that looked close except for dandelion! :-\

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
My kids usually let me know when they need another application.  I think we apply about 2-3 times a day before they stop noticing the itching. ;)

My best places for plantain are in fairly new construction areas: beside parking lots, in neighborhoods that are under construction...places where the ground has been disturbed and no one cares where the weeds grow (pick a place where you're pretty sure they're not sprayed with anything)

Gwen
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
I just removed a tick from my daughter and I think now that I found it it has been there since Sunday.  I think the head came off inside and I can't get it out.  I am pretty stressed at this point.  It was brown, I really think it is a dog tick.  It was brown and has black towards the head area.  But now she has black spot that I think is the head.  It is hard now like a lump.  I rubbed goot on it and gave her some colloidol silver.  What do I do about getting the head out. What I read on the net was don't worry about that it rarely happens but I think it has happened and now I am really worried.  I don't have plaintain or any of that stuff I have read on here.  We tried a needle and tweezers w/ no luck for getting it out.  It does look like there is a little hole in her flesh and it is red.  Any suggestions?  Should I take her to the doctor? 

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
I'm sorry...I really hate ticks.  :(

I'd clean it really well with hydrogen peroxide, and then apply a cold compress and maybe witch hazel to get the swelling to go down.  Since it's been on her for a while, it may stay swollen and itchy for a while.  I'd probably watch it for a day or so.  If it gets worse, or if you just can't stop worrying about it, then take her to the Dr.

Depending on where you live, plantain can still be had fresh...we have it all over.  Google plantain, and select images.  There are two common varieties, and It's just good to know what it looks like anyway. :)

Offline here2serve

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 10:47:58 AM »
 My 5 y/o dd has had soo many ticks in her young life time. And I absolutely hate them! Its all I can do to be brave and get the things off her ::) And yes, we've had a few where we couldn't get the head out, deer and dog ticks. The first time it happened, I was pretty stressed about it. I contacted a friend who is a doc, and talked to many people who have had a lot of experience with ticks, and even took her to the doc for antibiotics when she had a few deer ticks attached at one time. (and we have very few trees, or tall unkept grass around!! ::)) Anyway, they all said that eventually it disinegrates. Putting on some plantain or something wouldn't hurt tho' if it gives you peace of mind! I am usaully relieved if it is just a dog tick!
           HTH, and blessings
~ happy to serve my mr. steady and our 5 sweet treasures...

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
 A couple have been on the head, and though we've gotten them out, my dd has hard knots where they were.  Any suggestions of what to do?  I'll try some plantain salve or tincture I have, but my homemade salve doesn't seem to be very strong.  It has comfrey and some other things in it as well. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:20:00 AM by ArmyWife »
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline kisbaba_1

• Adept
    • epres[h] - a virtual tea house
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2009, 03:36:08 AM »
so, i'm about 10 weeks pregnant and just found a tick on my stomach.  blech!!!!  now, i'm a city girl and know nothing about ticks!  i didn't actually get a good look at it.  i just felt something on my stomach, scraped it off, then realized what it was and washed it down the drain.  i now have just a tiny red bump.  dh told me it wasn't a big deal, the bump would go away in a couple days.  i put some comfrey/plantain salve on it.  is there anything else i should be watching for... especially since i'm pregnant??  is it ok that i just washed the tick down the drain?  i was reading about other people drowning them in alcohol and such.  do i need to go pour some bleach down the drain or something??
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:21:14 AM by kisbaba_1 »
blessed mother of three: lydia rayne (3), judah wisdom(2) and isaac justice (7 months)

epres[h] - a virtual tea house

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »
so, i'm about 10 weeks pregnant and just found a tick on my stomach.  blech!!!!  now, i'm a city girl and know nothing about ticks!  i didn't actually get a good look at it.  i just felt something on my stomach, scraped it off, then realized what it was and washed it down the drain.  i now have just a tiny red bump.  dh told me it wasn't a big deal, the bump would go away in a couple days.  i put some comfrey/plantain salve on it.  is there anything else i should be watching for... especially since i'm pregnant??  is it ok that i just washed the tick down the drain?  i was reading about other people drowning them in alcohol and such.  do i need to go pour some bleach down the drain or something??

How big was the tick?
I woldn't worry if it was just a woodtick. They are about the size of a small apple seed... maybe a bit smaller. But if it were a deer tick, you want to watch for a bullseye type rash. The deer ticks are about the size of a pin head or smaller. Then you'd want to check up on Lymes disease info.

Offline kisbaba_1

• Adept
    • epres[h] - a virtual tea house
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
How big was the tick?

it was good sized.  i actually thought it was a little spider at first.  it's been over 12 hours, and it still just looks like a tiny red bump.  almost like the little blisters you get from fire ants (all the fun, painful bugs i'm learning about here in the south!)  i'm not sure if the salve is helping or not.  i guess i'll just have to keep an eye on it...   ick!
blessed mother of three: lydia rayne (3), judah wisdom(2) and isaac justice (7 months)

epres[h] - a virtual tea house

Offline newmamapjp

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 05:57:06 AM »
I agree to keep watching for a rash. Iwould only worry if a rash occured.  And you said you are in the south. From experience, they seem to be worse in the midwest than the south. I would keep putting some salve on it. The bump might even stay longer then a week. If you have any Eden Salve from the Bulk Herb Store I would use that. Try not to itch it and don't stress too much about it. It is tick season so you should check yourself EVERYWHERE everytime you come in from outside. Hope everything turns out well. And good luck with your baby!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2009, 05:19:24 AM »
I'm not sure about the significance of watching for a rash is;  if you are referring to the bulls eye rash associated with Lyme disease, please be aware that it only occurs in about 10% of positive patients.  However, I would say that your risk factor is low because the tick was so large that it was likely not a deer tick, and because if it brushed off, it was probably still burrowing in and could not have transmitted enough saliva in that short a time period to infect you.  I suggest you read the thread on that topic for more info if you are concerned, or pm me.  (My dad used to work at the research facility that headed up research on this disease.)  Otherwise, just don't worry.  It's all part of being in the great outdoors.    ~L
Oh, and you don't need to drown the tick in bleach.   :D

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
My 5 yo son had a tick bite last summer and we removed the tick within a day, I am pretty sure. Since then, the spot has never completely healed. There is still a small scab and a little knot under the skin. Sometimes he tells me that the spot itches. What should I do? I have been putting tea tree oil on the spot whenever I remember. He does not seem to have any other symptoms that would cause me to think of Lyme's disease. Thanks for any input!
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »
Bump?

My 5 yo son had a tick bite last summer and we removed the tick within a day, I am pretty sure. Since then, the spot has never completely healed. There is still a small scab and a little knot under the skin. Sometimes he tells me that the spot itches. What should I do? I have been putting tea tree oil on the spot whenever I remember. He does not seem to have any other symptoms that would cause me to think of Lyme's disease. Thanks for any input!
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 04:31:28 AM »
Bump?

My daughter fell and hit the back of her head outside last summer. She said it hurts back here. Upon lifting her hair and looking underneath everything, I found a tick that had been there for a while. It was dead and burst and still attatched. We removed the tick, but she had a knot and scab that developed. It was like something was still under the skin. In the days/week or so that followed, I was able to get the knot out of her head and it is healed now. It wasnt terribly deep, but it wasnt just right on top either.

But it was wierd because it was like part of the tick or something was buried in her scalp.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:33:03 AM by herbs girl »

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »
Thanks, Herbs girl for the reply. I am really pretty sure I got the whole tick out - and it was still alive and well, though not swollen, when I did. At first I just thought it was healing slowly. But it's been 6 months now... and I'm really wondering what is going on.

Would you take your kid to a doctor?

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:02 AM »
I did not but I should have perhaps. My 7 year old nephew that lives 10 min or less from us was in the hospital recently with IV antibiotics, in a wheelchair and his mom even had to carry him to the bathroom for a few days. He had Lymes.  His knees were swollen.  He was discharged with crutches.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
Six months is a long time. How about using a drawing salve or a castor oil poultice? (use either 24/7 until resolved.) His body may have formed a cyst around a pocket of infection. If it does open up or drain, you would want to use something with antibiotic properties, and continue with the drawing treatment...again 24/7 until resolved. It can take awhile for encapsulated infections to drain and heal.

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
Thank you boysmama! What would I use for a drawing salve? I have some dried plantain... thinking that is supposed to draw stuff out. Also, I do have castor oil - how do I make a poultice out of it?

I think even the tea tree oil is causing things to come to more out a head. THe cyst-like bump is getting bigger. Thank you for your hypothesis. It sounds right on.

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »
A castor oil poultice can be made by putting castor oil on a rag (not dripping wet, but good and soaked), placing this on the affected area, covering with a bit of plastic wrap and topping that with some gentle heat (like a heating pad or hot water bottle).  It will ruin your rag . . .

Yes, plantain will make a great "drawing" salve.

Bentonite clay will also draw, if you have that.