Author Topic: Ticks any advice?  (Read 35289 times)

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
Ticks any advice?
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:19:21 AM »
I need to know how to remove ticks.  My husband got one this past weekend while hunting and pulled on it.  But of course the head broke off.  I was not at home at the time.  I have always heard that you light a match and then put it near the rear of the tick and it will back out.  Anyway, I have been putting on epsom salt compresses over the area and it seems to be getting better.  Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful. 
Thanks
RW

PS:  We will both be hunting this next weekend and I want to know in case either of us gets another tick.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
Re: Ticks any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:24:54 AM »
Ugh.  I've removed 6 ticks from my cat in the last month.  You need to use the pointy tweezers, the ones with long, skinny ends (not the hair pluckers! ;D).  You grasp the tick as close to where it is attached to the skin as you can (with the tweezer tip parallel to the skin, not perpendicular) then pull backwards.  This usually will bring the head with it.  I hope that discription works ok! 
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:41:46 AM »
What we do is to heat a needle to red hot (don't hold it barehanded). We then pierce the tick with the needle. It causes the tick to release its grip so that the body and head are easily removed.

To prevent them from getting on us, we use the Vinegar of Four Theives tincture. The mix is sold by the Bulk Herb Store.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
Eeeeeewwwwww, we've got ticks this year.  The worst part is the only place we've been seeing them is in the house!  Could we have an infestation on the house?  What do we do?  My dh just had one IN OUR BED!!!  I will be up all night now so you can answer back anytime.... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
You may want to catch one and experiment. Put it in a jar and try different things to see what you are comfortable spreading around the house that will kill it. Put in a little tansy. If that doesn't work then try some DE or Boric acid. And so on. I did this when ants were in the bathroom. That's how I found out that spreading tansy would just be a wast of time and money when it comes to ants.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
Waaaahhhhh!  I am seriously having trouble with this...my baby and I sleep in this bed with dh..... :P :P :P I checked him all over with a comb and did not see any more (he found it crawling in his hair) but he says he doesn't know when it got on him :P :P :P  Ds had one on the rim of the leg of his spiderman suit yesterday in the livingroom.  I had all the kids take baths and did not find anymore on them as I checked them over.  Could my house really be infested?  or just coincidence???  I haven't seen anything crawling around....why IN the house.... :'( :'( :-X :P

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
They are probably hitching a ride in on your boys & hubby & then dropping off once they are in. I don't know what you can do other than frequent checking. I feel for you. My poor son had one once & I screamed, pushed him away & told him to go see Dad!  ::) I mean, I love him & all but it was a TICK  :P

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »
They are probably hitching a ride in on your boys & hubby & then dropping off once they are in. I don't know what you can do other than frequent checking. I feel for you. My poor son had one once & I screamed, pushed him away & told him to go see Dad!  ::) I mean, I love him & all but it was a TICK  :P

waaaahhh...I am so itchy!  I am about to scratch all my moles off... >:(

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »
I have a link:
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2509.htm

Since I am up researching this yucky itchy stuff I thought I'd share the info. in case another poor soul finds ticks in the house.   This one proved informative.  I pray the info. is accurate.  It says that ticks will almost never inhabit the house.  Even if you are bringing them in.  With the exception of the Brown Dog Tick.  Well, yahoo on that one...we don't have a dog so that is unlikely....

I am still itchin' and scratchin' and trying to coax myself to lie down next to my man... :P

Offline bluestripe

• Adept
  • Psalm 1:1
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
I need to know how to remove ticks.  My husband got one this past weekend while hunting and pulled on it.  But of course the head broke off.  I was not at home at the time.  I have always heard that you light a match and then put it near the rear of the tick and it will back out.  Anyway, I have been putting on epsom salt compresses over the area and it seems to be getting better.  Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful.  
Thanks
RW

PS:  We will both be hunting this next weekend and I want to know in case either of us gets another tick.

I've heard that a good way to remove ticks is to grab the tick's body with the tick being in the middle with tweezers, and slowly draw the tweezers away from your body as to gently pull it out.  Then the head will come out.  You really don't want to squeeze the tick while it's attached, because the force of the squeeze will cause the tick to regergetate, (sp?) and that wouldn't be good.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:57:48 PM by bluestripe »
...just a student of the Word, and not a teacher....
 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  II Timothy 2:15  This is my goal!

Offline farmgirls

• Adept
  • On my journey to be an excellent helpmeet
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:24 AM »
I have heard that the ticks are out in full force this year.  Has anyone heard this and know why there are so many more this year than normal?
~farmgirls~
And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and maintenance for thy maidens. Psalms

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my blog! http://www.alpinesjoy.com/

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:14 AM »
I have heard that the ticks are out in full force this year.  Has anyone heard this and know why there are so many more this year than normal?
~farmgirls~

I don't know why, but I haven't seen a tick in about 10 years and so far each of my kids and Mr B have had a couple of them in the past week, and I spent last night picking them off of the dog.
We were thinking that it may be due to having a wetter spring than normal, at least for us.  We've been under a severe drought for the last several years in the SE and have had a ton of rain so far this year...

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
Yep, I hadn't seen one in a few years too. But found two recently. I'm thinking about investing in some Guinea hens (guinea fowl if you don't live in the South East). They'll keep your land tick-free... and your neighbors mad at you.  ::)

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline KADETMmom

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:59:35 AM »
Hope you got some sleep last night!

Last week or so, I removed our first tick of the season from dd using a LOT of melaleuca oil on a Qtip.  This time it worked anyway.  Better than a burnt match or tweezers.

Life with kids who like to crawl through long grass -- usually with their long hair loose   ::)

~melanie
"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God..."  Psalm 40

Offline elizabetsy

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 02:21:49 AM »
My friend recently removed a tick by drowning it in hand soap, no particular kind as far as I know. She said she just poured soap until it was coated and it backed out. She also held a soaked cotton ball on it. This was a deer tick on a 2 yr old. HTH

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 02:46:51 AM »
Yep, I hadn't seen one in a few years too. But found two recently. I'm thinking about investing in some Guinea hens (guinea fowl if you don't live in the South East). They'll keep your land tick-free... and your neighbors mad at you.  ::)

WR

We have lived here almost 4 years and never seen one tick but there's been two already in the house.  I did finally fall asleep but I was scratching every itch and I even dreamed about 'em. I still have the heebie jeebies... :P

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:20:27 AM »
I found 3 ticks on me on Thursday. Yuck! They were so icky! I thought they were crawling all over me all day long, even on Friday!

Yesterday my boys found a tick with his head imbedded on my youngest and my oldest said there was one on his head and he pulled it out. Yuck! I told them that next time they need to let me take them out so that I can see if the head come too. I checked them over and did not see any.

They are climbing trees and playing in the woods. I need to go spray them with Vinegar of the Four Thieves! I should do it now! CJ

PS, no they do not inhabit houses. They hitch rides on people and animals.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 06:32:32 AM »

PS, no they do not inhabit houses. They hitch rides on people and animals.

I hate to tell you, but this isn't true.  We had our house infested with dog ticks years ago.  Happened to a friend of ours, too.    They nest as high as possible, so they were under the trim and the wallpaper.  They were also inside picture frames.  GROSS!   :o    Outdoors, ticks will nest in trees and drop onto warm bodies. 

We (and our friends several years later)  tried every natural pesticide available and nothing got rid of them.  We ended up moving to parents house for a week or two and bombing the place with bug killer.

DE and boric acid only kill bugs with exoskeletons; hard, outer shell like fleas or cockroaches who clean themselves and ingest the stuff.   

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »
I am never ever ever going to visit you! AAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:19 AM »

:D   It's okay, they are gone now.   ::)     

Seriously, though, the Man was so tempted to just drop a match and walk outta there.   And then 5 years after that we had a 'year of the black widow spider'.   YUCK!   
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 07:17:48 AM »
One word for y'all: MOVE  ;)

LKS

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 07:36:10 AM »
Every year about this time we get a mini-epidemic.  Last year we invested in some guineas and the problem is almost nonexistent!  We are noticing a few on some of the dogs.  But nothing like in years past.  We pull them off and put them in a glass with alcohol and they die.  Several days later we flush them.  I like to wait for a couple of days because those little boogers can live for a while in the alcohol!  :o >:(  I strongly recommend guinea fowl if you are in an area where you can.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:58 AM »
DE and boric acid only kill bugs with exoskeletons; hard, outer shell like fleas or cockroaches who clean themselves and ingest the stuff.   

Yes, boric acid must be ingested. That's why you mix it with honey to kill ants.

But DE kills without being ingested. And although I have heard lots of folks say it only works on bugs with hard exoskeletons (it's even on a lot of websites) this is not true. It works on soft-bodied bugs too. In fact it works better on soft-bodied bugs. It works like ground glass and makes a zillion tiny cuts in their skin or shell. It cuts even better and more severely on soft bodied bugs than hard ones. And then they loose too much moisture and die. Some say that it helps with this process by absorbing a lot of fluid from the cuts. It's often used to kill slugs and is fed to animals as a nontoxic wormer (supposedly, it can even be used by people that way).

WR
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:55:02 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »

Yes, boric acid must be ingested. That's why you mix it with honey to kill ants.

But DE kills without being ingested. And although I have heard lots of folks say it only works on bugs with hard exoskeletons (it's even on a lot of websites) this is not true. It works on soft-bodied bugs too. In fact it works better on soft-bodied bugs. It works like ground glass and makes a zillion tiny cuts in their skin or shell. It cuts even better and more severely on soft bodied bugs than hard ones. And then they loose too much moisture and die. Some say that it helps with this process by absorbing a lot of fluid from the cuts. It's often used to kill slugs and is fed to animals as a nontoxic wormer (supposedly, it can even be used by people that way).

WR

I guess we had tough bugs.  Never worked for us.  :(

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Does it have to be specifically gunea fowl?  We have chickens.  Prob. is we have more acreage than the chickens roam.  I read that only the brown dog tick infests houses (and then I assume only if you have animals indoors?) but common wood or deer ticks aren't likely to do that... ???

Ladyhen, did you have indoor animals at the infested house?  We have not had any attached ticks yet...just crawlers.  Horrid beasts... :P

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 01:56:40 PM »
I've always heard that it had to be guineas to be effective.
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
Ok, I have a serious perspective question in regards to this topic.  Please answer with your opinions; it is not a right vs. wrong question, but rather strictly an "in your opinion" question.

Should a WTM mom ( 8)) who is becoming increasingly more learned of the various potentially harmful outdoorish things (namely Lyme's disease, but could also include things like worms and parasites and bacteria of many forms) restrict the boy/wilderness combination or still encourage it and hope for the best? 

This is the same dilema I have had in regards to our large cess pool...I mean pond.  I feel like I "know too much" of all that is in there that could be harmful and cause disease with lasting effects for me to just say "Go on in boys", but I also so want them to be boys and conquer and explore.  I don't want to be paranoid about Lyme's but I also would kick myself over and over if they got something "preventable" that I was educated about, kwim? 

As for the vinegar of the 4 thieves: it has never worked very well for us with mosquitos so I hope it would work better for ticks.  Can't say as I know.  I have had better luck with it on clothing and shoes than on skin just because of the "burn" factor of the vinegar.  I also would NOT want Deet on the kids so whatchya to do?

But seriously, do you just let them romp and play and check them over as good as I can without being too paranoid or do you restrict where they go etc etc.  They do not go in the woods without us for safety reasons...I just don't trust them to jump the creek and traverse the woods alone (esp. during any hunting season).  They thus far also can not go in the pond and actually swim or play in it yet (although they usually get in when they are fishing or catching things anyway). 

If I am cautious about who shakes their hands during cold/flu season but knowingly let them play in the grass with ticks is there a difference.  I know how to fight a cold, but I don't know about spirochetes..etc

These are my ramblings: opinions and thoughts are appreciated! :D
Also, does anyone have any hard #'s on the %of disease transmission vs. # of tick bites?  Like, what are the odds really? 

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »

Seriously, though, the Man was so tempted to just drop a match and walk outta there.   And then 5 years after that we had a 'year of the black widow spider'.   YUCK!   

Can you explain the "black widow spider" thing a little more?  That scares me to death.
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »

Can you explain the "black widow spider" thing a little more?  That scares me to death.

Just seems like some years the bugs are worse than other years, like I have heard that ticks are gonna be worse this year.   ???   Don't always know what causes that.    The time we had tick infestation we had a dog, but it was an outside dog.  The dog had lots of ticks, too.  Every dog in the neighborhood did that year.
One year, seemed like there were black widows everywhere.  Anything in the house that hadn't been moved in a week had a web 'n' spider behind it.    :o   :o   :o  That was hard to deal with when we had a couple of little children, too.

littlemama24,  I agree that we just know TOO much.  I get paranoid, too, if I think about things too much.  But then I feel like I have the knowledge and should protect my family and myself all that I can.  Finding the balance is difficult.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 03:06:30 AM »

One year, seemed like there were black widows everywhere.  Anything in the house that hadn't been moved in a week had a web 'n' spider behind it.    :o   :o   :o  That was hard to deal with when we had a couple of little children, too.

littlemama24,  I agree that we just know TOO much.  I get paranoid, too, if I think about things too much.  But then I feel like I have the knowledge and should protect my family and myself all that I can.  Finding the balance is difficult.

ok, that's DEFINATELY worse! :o