Author Topic: Juice/Pulp Fast  (Read 2970 times)

Offline stevia mama

• Learning
Juice/Pulp Fast
« on: July 09, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
I've just started juicing (actually pulping my veggies and fruits in a blender) and have been very fatigued since I started four days ago.  I'm using mainly organic produce and drinking 2-3 glasses a day in addition to eating small meals.  Does anyone know if this initially causes fatigue due to detoxing the body???  I thought I was supposed to have lots of energy right away!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:10:52 PM by healthybratt »
As my middle daughter and I walked into a rather smelly public bathroom she said in a sing songy voice, "I smell something I like to eat. . .eggs!"

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Juice/Pulp Fast
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 02:59:14 PM »
If detoxification weren't an issue, I'd step back and look at what and how I was juicing/pulping and why I needed to do so.

Generally, juicing is a good treatment for someone that needs efficient access the nutrients in vegetables or fruit but cannot consume the whole food -- or for an occasional treat. God packaged foods in such a way as to supply our bodies with the fiber, enzymes, & etc. that our bodies need to get the maximum benefit.

If you are juicing fruit or vegetables with seeds, this could definitely lead to some digestive issues. Unsprouted seeds contain enzyme inhibitors that can rob your body of nutrients and diminish or kill off enzymes in the colon. (That's how birds and other animals are able to "transport" seeds that later sprout.) This is also true of legumes and beans.

You said you were using mostly organic materials. However, if you wouldn't eat the peeling, then don't include it in your juice/pulp. Look at how the food is being cleaned before going into your juicer/pulper. Organic doesn't mean that it is free from dirt. While it is free of chemicals, you don't know who or what has come in contact with it before it hit your kitchen.

What is your storage container? Fruits with acid content (like lemons) will try to detoxify their container. This is why you should choose unleaded glass. If the lid is metal, try not to let the liquid come in contact with it. An interesting experiment would be to leave lemon juice in a plastic container for a week and compare the look of the plastic below the liquid line to that of the plastic that did not come in contact with the lemon. You don't want to be drinking a cocktail of lemon and plastic.

I would also check to see what detergent is being used to clean your juicer/pulper. A harsh detergent may be difficult to rinse completely off of all surfaces. This could later leech into the food. Try spraying with vinegar and rinsing with filtered water.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:11:02 PM by healthybratt »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 03:06:33 PM »
Do you have a problem with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  If so juicing can aggravate it since the sugars go directly to the blood stream.   Eating the whole fruit helps the body to absorb the sugars more slowly.    Here is a quiz you can take to see if this could be a problem:

http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:11:10 PM by healthybratt »
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
Anyone else out there doing a juice fast right now? I just started one today and I am feeling quiet sick. I am thinking I might have some veggie broth at dinner time to help some. The How to Herb Book says that veggie broth is ok in a variety juice fast, which I guess is what I am doing.

Ok, after reading on this some more, I'm not as prepared as I thought I was (i.e.- I need a few more veggies, etc). So I am going too eat veggies and fruits with some juicing for three days and see how that goes, and then read up more on the juice fasting.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:42:26 AM by amy3js »
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
My husband is in the middle of a juice fast. Let me know if you want to compare notes at all.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:42:49 PM »
What veggies/fruits is he juicing? I had a salad, so I am officially not juice fasting, but seriously interested in it. I am having a hard time pinning down all the reasons for the rules however. For instance, I real no citrus except lemon and I can't figure out why?

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, WTM was not working for me last night!

My husband is currently on day 26 of a 40 day juice fast. Here is a website that explains why and how he does it: 
http://www.billbright.com/7steps/

and here's a post I made about it earlier: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,11798.msg137434.html#msg137434 where I explained a little.

My husband fasts for 1-6 weeks every year and it's for spiritual reasons, not for health reasons. However, I have tried to implement some of the healthy aspects of fasting into his fast. He is receptive to some things and not to others.

I make some of the master cleanse lemonade for part of his fast but he doesn't like to drink that exclusively - I think because he doesn't like the taste.

He usually has fruit juice in the morning - pretty much only purple grape juice because he doesn't like apple or white grape and citrus is supposed to be hard on you because of the acid content (I think the acid does bother him.) That's the only reason I've heard about not using citrus.

He drinks herbal tea sweetened with maple syrup, or grape juice, during the day, and at night I make him a big glass of carrot/apple juice.

The web site mentions making vegetable broth but I've decided that is sort of a pointless way to waste a lot of vegetables so what I do is juice 1 carrot, 1/2 potato, 1/2 stick of celery into a small soup bowl and add hot water and about 1/2 tsp of sea salt. This is because I believe he needs the sodium in his body or he could have some serious problems with his heart. Also the hot "soup" is sort of a nice change for him. Sometimes I throw some organic salad greens into his juice. Most veggies just taste nasty as juice and he is not all that motivated to drink them if they taste bad. 

He gets some headaches, tiredness, and bad breath the first few days from detoxing.

He doesn't really feel hungry after the first few days. He is very careful to not eat anything that could possibly be "food," including purees. He especially avoids anything that could have protein as it will restart the digestive juices and make him feel hungry again. Milk is too much of a food and I think it would upset his stomach.

He takes a laxative tea most nights which helps with the cleansing. I think maybe I should have him take some fiber. 

I don't use the juicer for the fruit juice, only for carrot juice, because he always fasts in the winter and it's hard to find the right fruits and I would have to buy a ton of them, most of which would be sprayed with tons of chemicals and super expensive. I've even had trouble finding organic lemons at the HFS.

He's had problems with canker sores but they've gone away.

He has pretty good energy levels, in fact he doesn't get sleepy after lunch and dinner as he usually does, and he doesn't need extra sleep at all, but he can't exercise or even wrestle with the kids as he is somewhat weak.

So far he has lost 26 pounds, most of those were overweight pounds, he says he is now down to what he "should be." He usually gains it back over the next 6 months or so. Fasting is not a good diet plan, IMO.

What are you doing for your fast? I forgot there was something in the How to Herb Book, I need to read that. Someone mentioned earlier about low blood sugar, and I think if I were not getting protein and was getting sugars from juices, I would be feeling sick, too. Hope you feel better!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:49:27 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:43:44 PM »
Thanks for all that info! It is very helpful, I will check out that link. I want to fast in order to give my body a break and to get rid of some toxins. I am trying to lose weight, but that is not the primary reason for the fast. I realize that anything I lost on a fast would probably come right back unless I was doing some other changes as well. I was hoping to have the fast be a sort of helpful kick off in getting my body healthy again along side trying to lose weight. If that makes sense.  ::)