Author Topic: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures  (Read 134696 times)

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Re: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
We have a lot of conjunctivitis in Brasil.  Her symptoms are classic.
www.bulkherbstore.com
If you go to the above site and type conjunctivitis in the search box there are a list of some of the herbs you can use against it.
Hope this helps,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Just went over and read some of this myself........  It seems that horsetail and thyme are two of the best.  You could use a poultice and treat the infected area and make a tea to take internally.
Just some ideas....
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »
Hi Faith,
My youngest son had some kind of eye infection all of last week and I was really at a loss as to what to use on it.

Somewhere in the back of my brain, I remembered somebody using chamomile tea bags to fight eye infections. So I proceeded to make myself a nice strong cup of chamomile tea using 2 tea bags. I removed the tea bags, let them cool a bit, dripped some of the chamomile tea into my son's eyes (he was lying down at the moment), and then set the 2 warm teabags directly on his closed eyes. It was bedtime anyway, so he really enjoyed those warm teabags on his eyes.

Next morning....ta daa!! No more eye gunk. I also thought of using raw honey, 1 drop per eye. I didn't get to. The chamomile worked great.

Um, colloidal silver might work here, too. Where is herbalmom when you need her?  ;D

Hope these give you some ideas. :)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2007, 03:17:23 PM »
         :)Thank you , thank you Amazonmama2five and Mama Sita! :)

She actually put an eyebright tea bag on a few times. She did say it felt good, and was starting to itch but now there is more 'gunk' it seems. I will try chammomile this time!!! And thyme, I have thyme!!!!! Horsetail I will have to check.

Offline ascataylor

• TJEdMom
  • Learning
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
I've been treating my 2 yo girl with the honey water for two days now.  At first it really cleared up the symptoms, but it is now not helping!

Any other suggestions?  DH is really worried about the health of her eyes and I don't want to take her to a doctor and get the nasty man-made junk they'll give!
I've treated pink eye with antibiotics once and they were ineffective.  The most useful technique that I've found is to clean each eye with a clean hot cloth (one cloth per eye to prevent cross contamination) every morning and anytime there is buildup.  This has kicked it every time; however if you need a boost, I'm sure throwing some garlic (orally) or other immune boosters in the mix, sure wouldn't hurt.

I just wanted to share what our family Dr. told me to do a couple days ago.  It was so refreshing to get a home remedy from a Dr.!!!  He said to take an egg and boil it, then without removing the shell, put it in a wet/warm washcloth and set it in the eye cavity of the infected eye while the child lies down with eyes closed.  It creates a steamy compress and He said the heat would kill the pink eye...I think of it like giving the eye an isolated fever to bake out the virus (or whatever it is).  Anyway, he said to leave it on for 5-10 minutes (or as long as your child will cooporate) and repeat several times a day.  So that's what I'm doing with my DDs pink eye today...  It made sense to me so I thought I'd pass on the info to you all!  :)
"His divine power has given us EVERYTHING WE NEED FOR LIFE and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." 2 Peter 1:3

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »
Has anyone else here used salt water for an eye infection?  I got a nasty one last week, and just put salt water on a clean cloth, and laid in on my closed eye every 20 minutes or so.  It cleared up by the late afternoon. 

Another herb that helps sore eyes is chickweed.  I boil a cup of water, and put in a tsp each of eyebright and chickweed.  After is cools, I strain and put into eye with a dropper.  This works great if my eye has just started an infection, but it doesn't seem to help if it gets too bad. 

My sister gets lid infections -- feels like an eye infection, but her lid is red and flaky around her eyelashes.  Her eye doctor told her to wash it gently for about a minute with baby shampoo on a warm, wet washcloth.  She says it works every time!

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »
Hi Faith,
My youngest son had some kind of eye infection all of last week and I was really at a loss as to what to use on it.

Um, colloidal silver might work here, too.

I have used colloidal silver on my child's pink eye with great success :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »
anyone know anything about peroxide for pink eye?  i've read through here, and most of the stuff mentioned i don't have on hand.  i did try a garlic poultice tonight and then coconut oil followed by a very warm washcloth.  i just wondered if peroxide would work and read the bottle and it doesn't say anything about safety for eyes.  thanks in advance.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/h4070.htm

here's the msds on 3% solution

i'll see what else i can find

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:51 PM »
how old is the child with the pink eye?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2007, 04:49:55 AM »
how old is the child with the pink eye?

sorry, i should have said.  he's 8.  i'm hoping it stops there.  i have an appt at 11:00 today to see the dr. cuz sure as i don't someone else will have it by the weekend.  am doing coconut oil right now.  thanks. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2007, 04:50:47 AM »
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/h4070.htm

here's the msds on 3% solution

i'll see what else i can find

sounds like it's not good for eyes. 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »
just wanted to report that my son's pink eye is gone!!!  i am happy to report that it only took 3 1/2 days!  except now i have another one (2 yo.) with it.  i started tues. pm with coconut oil ( the good stuff) and just put a dab in each eye 3 or 4 times a day.  we put GOOT on at the same rate/times.  also, we put chamomile teabags on a few times, but not as often.  usually before bed.  we did this regimin for 3 days, and maybe once yesterday.  (wed. through sat)  he took odorless garlic and a probiotic also.  i am really excited to have tackled this one without antibiotics!   ;D  i am doing the same thing with my 2 yo, only without the teabags.  just thought i'd post my success story for others.  the coco oil stings when we put it in, just for a minute.  i figured the antibiotic drops would have also, though so i just told him that and he toughed it out. 

when i took him to the dr. wednesday am he confirmed that it was pink eye and also he had an ear infection!  DS had just said to me before we left that his ear hurt.  i put the GOOT in the ear each time i applied it to his neck and back/front.  after the first day he said it didn't hurt anymore, but we kept using it.  GOOT is awesome!!!!   8) 

p.s.  just wanted to note, that if i were to do this again i would use HB's idea (below).  this ended up spreading through all my kids (and my son got the gunk back) and i ruined major plans because i didn't get rid of it quick enough.  ended up getting drops and it was gone in 2 days.  i only used them for 2 days.  it was too late for our plans then.  anyway, coco oil is a lot of pain and work and it didn't keep my other kids from getting it like the drops supposedly do.  HTH. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:07:47 PM by 4myhoonie »

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
I've used colloidal silver as well--I've also used colloidal for ear infections when we can't get to the chiropractor.

If you have more than one kid (especially small ones who like to poke at each other), I would treat them both for pink eye until it is gone as well as yourself--or whoever is dolling out the medication of choice in the house.  Otherwise they will pass it back and forth.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2007, 05:07:45 PM »
i have yet to get some collidal silver.  so if the eyes are white and gunky is it still pink eye?  they have lots of snot, ear infection and stuff in their eyes, but no pinkness.  all the info i found, there was no description as this.  thanks for the advice.   ;)

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2007, 04:21:12 AM »
i have yet to get some collidal silver.  so if the eyes are white and gunky is it still pink eye?  they have lots of snot, ear infection and stuff in their eyes, but no pinkness.  all the info i found, there was no description as this.  thanks for the advice.   ;)

last winter my youngest had a cold like this.  I thought she was coming down with pink eye so I treated it with colloidal--but I think it may have just been a side effect of the cold.  She also came down with an ear infection--we then discovered the chiropractor and that cleared up pretty quickly.  All that said, they can have a cold with lots of eye drainage.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I think they--at least the two youngest--had one like that this spring, that is, gunky eyes and runny noses.  I'll be praying for you, that you figure it out. 

I'd probably just treat the ear infection and give them honey & garlic Vit c etc.  until everything cleared up--depending on how gunky the eyes are.  If they are so bad that you have to clean them in the morning because they can barely open them, I'd just treat the pink eye as well.  If it's pink eye and you don't treat it it will get worse, if it's not and you don't treat it, it will clear up with the cold.  Pink eye does often accompany bad colds--probably because of the weakened immune system.  I don't think I was very helpful, but I will be praying for you. 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2007, 04:34:02 AM »
last winter my youngest had a cold like this.  I thought she was coming down with pink eye so I treated it with colloidal--but I think it may have just been a side effect of the cold.  She also came down with an ear infection--we then discovered the chiropractor and that cleared up pretty quickly.  All that said, they can have a cold with lots of eye drainage.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I think they--at least the two youngest--had one like that this spring, that is, gunky eyes and runny noses.  I'll be praying for you, that you figure it out. 

I'd probably just treat the ear infection and give them honey & garlic Vit c etc.  until everything cleared up--depending on how gunky the eyes are.  If they are so bad that you have to clean them in the morning because they can barely open them, I'd just treat the pink eye as well.  If it's pink eye and you don't treat it it will get worse, if it's not and you don't treat it, it will clear up with the cold.  Pink eye does often accompany bad colds--probably because of the weakened immune system.  I don't think I was very helpful, but I will be praying for you. 

hmmmmmm.............maybe the others don't have pink eye......the little guy's eye was almost stuck shut Sunday morning.  it's getting better though.  oh, well, keeping after the GOOT. 

Offline Smiling Dawn

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:58 AM »
help anyone?  i am at a loss.  long story, but i am getting really fed up with this bad cold and pink eye stuff.  now my dd has pink eye (third kid to get it).  it is ruining our summer plans.  i think i can have the eye problem gone in a few days, but i am running out of ideas for this cold!  we have eaten all the odorless garlic in the house (waiting for my order) and my son who had pink eye still has this rattly stuff in the back of the nose and throat.  now i have it.  and my other kids all have it.  phlegm in the morning, slightly sore throat, drainage.  i feel like i have exhausted all my resources.  i suppose we could live on nothing but garlic soup!!??   :P  i was thinking maybe i was forgetting something that we could be doing to get rid of it for good.  i have about 15 capsules of bee immune, but that wouldn't go far with 5 people taking it.  what do you all think?  thanks!

This is almost a week later and I hope you all are doing better. 
I want to respond to the pink eye in this post...An old fashioned remedy given by my mom to me when my oldest was little is to brew a bag of black tea (I used Lipton's) and cool it slightly.  Dip a cotton ball in the tea and rub on the eye that is infected.  Was a successful treatment.  Please make sure the tea is not too hot for the eye of the person (little person or big person)...

(This would be a good post I realize for the About the Body section...eyes, ears, nose and throat...but pink eye was mentioned here.  I understand if my post needs to be moved... ;D)
whatever you are - be a good one

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2007, 07:25:33 AM »
My son had upset tummy and fever 102+ all day yesterday and I decided to give him 2 TTOB twice throughout the day and did one garlic poultice with 3 large cloves bruised well (okay, near beat to death  :o) and put in a coffee filter on both feet, chest and back for 60 seconds each.  Just after supper, he began developing symptoms of pink eye as well. 

This morning his fever is gone, pink eye is gone and tummy is all better.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2007, 03:07:38 AM »
My son had upset tummy and fever 102+ all day yesterday and I decided to give him 2 TTOB twice throughout the day and did one garlic poultice with 3 large cloves bruised well (okay, near beat to death  :o) and put in a coffee filter on both feet, chest and back for 60 seconds each.  Just after supper, he began developing symptoms of pink eye as well. 

This morning his fever is gone, pink eye is gone and tummy is all better.  ;D
Okay, update.  The fever came back and it sounds like he might have a bit of a sinus thing going, but the eye and tummy are still better.  Time for some more garlic. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline iluvphil

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »

HI, I could really use some advice right now! I woke up this morning with severe pain in my left eye. I was in so much pain that I just wanted to see a doctor asap and get some relief. So my mom came over and drove me to the closest eye doctor; we live in town and the office was only about a minute away. I was in so much pain while waiting for them to see me that i was starting the feel sick.  :-\ Anyway, when he finally could check me out he said that my eye has an abrasion from over-wearing my contacts and then it became infected. He put numerous different drops in and then sent me to the drug store for eye drops that cost over 80 dolloars. >:(  It's an antibiotic called Vigamox and it seems to be pretty strong stuff and the fine print really cautions against using it during pregnancy (I'm four months along). I did ask the doctor about it and he said I should be fine. 
    Could anyone suggest natural remedies to fight this infection and heal my eye and also, what would bring me some relief? I'm still hurting and Tylenol doesn't even help. :( The drops he prescribed for me don't help with the pain. I would really appreciate anyone's input!! Thank you!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »
do you have any drops for pink eye?  those would help with the infection, and also coconut oil would work. i've used it and it stings, but very safe.  my daughter had a real bad scratch and when she would get tired she would cry.  it was hurting her really bad.  i didn't know what to do about the pain, so i had her nap instead and when she got up it was fine.  i would call the guy back and ask him about drops for the pain.  whatever the dr. put in my girls eye when she was there really helped.  maybe you could get something else and a less potent antibiotic. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2007, 05:17:35 AM »
    Could anyone suggest natural remedies to fight this infection and heal my eye and also, what would bring me some relief? I'm still hurting and Tylenol doesn't even help. :( The drops he prescribed for me don't help with the pain. I would really appreciate anyone's input!! Thank you!
Infection means bacteria, so I would read back through this thread and look for ideas for healing as they are all remedies for pink eye (also a bacterial infection).

My favorite herb book!!

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »
I'm a little puzzled with the whole contact eye abrasion thing.  I just looked up Vigamox & that is primarily for pink eye.  However, my sil just had a similar thing with her contacts & dr said it was more like a protein deposit from an immune system reaction to the contact.  Did dr say you had an infection along with the abrasion?  Colloidal silver has no stinging effect and will clear out any eye infection.  My sil had to stop wearing that contact & was advised to try warm wash clothes.  Once the eye felt better dr said she could put the contact in for only two hours at a time.  I believe she had a steroid eye drop to use.  Hope that helps a little

Offline pillowsvista

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »
Hi there! My young son has very gumpy eyes. We are traveling for Thanksgiving on Monday! I really need to get this cleared up! I'm not sure if it is pink eye or not! He is not bothered by it, doesn't rub or scratch it. It isn't red, just oozes a thick greeny-yellow gunk! Oh, and it waters.

We have had a horrible time with sickness this fall, it seems like things are just coming on right after another. My husband and I had very sore throats recently and my son may have as well.

How can I clear up his eye gunk and give us all a immune boost in two days!?!?

I have very little knowledge of natural medicine, but am completely sold on it's virtue.

Thanks!

Jenny

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2007, 09:27:54 AM »
I think this will probably be moved but I think it does sound like Conjuntivitis, even if the eye is not red (yet :().  I would give him (and the rest of the family) garlic/ echenaccia and frequently put a hot, damp towel over his eye, like twice an hour whenever possible, when I do this I put a couple drops of Tea Tree oil in the middle of the rag (I think it would burn if it touched the eye or sensitive skin in the area, so if you choose to do this, be careful that the oil stays in the middle of the rag).  Remeber, whatever it is is probably very contaigous so make sure you don't infect the other eye or anyone elses, I wash towels in very hot, soapy water.
This method seems to deal with this problem really quickly around here.  Hope you figure out something that works.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2007, 04:55:08 AM »
I have had great success with a Garlic Poutice over the eye for about 15-60 seconds, depending on the age of the child and the strength of the garlic poltice. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:07:30 AM by SarahK »
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2007, 04:40:49 AM »
When we have a hint of or full blown eye problems I make a tincture with goldenseal powder and dip a hot wash cloth in the goldenseal and drip it in the eye, washing it, and as a hot compress.  I heard that Goldenseal is a natural antibiotic and have used it as such.  Hope something helps you quickly.  Lovin'

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2007, 05:37:15 AM »
For adults and children at my house at the first sign of eye gunk, I rub the upper and lower lid with GOOT 2-3 times in a day. If GOOT is made properly (without chunks of raw garlic) this isn't a problem, very gentle, easy to use and has worked every time we've used it.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2007, 09:13:38 AM »
These other remedies are probably better, but if you don't have goldenseal or GOOT, put some salt (about a teaspoon or so) into about 1/2 cup warm water.  Dip a VERY clean washcloth into the warm water, test for heat, then put it over the closed eyelid.  Leave for a minute or two, and gently rub it on the eye, especially around the edges and lash line.  Do this a lot during the day, every 10-15 minutes, and the eye infection goes away!! 

Another really easy remedy is breat milk, if you have some, just put a drop into the corner of the eye a few times a day, and it also works!