Author Topic: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures  (Read 135718 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 06:27:34 AM »
I've been treating my 2 yo girl with the honey water for two days now.  At first it really cleared up the symptoms, but it is now not helping!

Any other suggestions?  DH is really worried about the health of her eyes and I don't want to take her to a doctor and get the nasty man-made junk they'll give!
I've treated pink eye with antibiotics once and they were ineffective.  The most useful technique that I've found is to clean each eye with a clean hot cloth (one cloth per eye to prevent cross contamination) every morning and anytime there is buildup.  This has kicked it every time; however if you need a boost, I'm sure throwing some garlic (orally) or other immune boosters in the mix, sure wouldn't hurt.
I've used this method effectivly also but the last time I used a few drops of Tea tree oil on the very inside of the washcloth.  I don't think you'd want to have the TTO touch the eyelids or eye, of course.  It seemed to clear up quickly.

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 03:20:42 AM »
The fun just never ends with this cold.  The Pink Eye flared up again in my son last night, he's not up yet this morning to see how last nights honey/water treated it.  You should have seen the fuss he caused trying to get it in there.  It took both of us to do it and he nearly kicked my husband in the head!

I guess I get to find out how the stuff feels this morning as I woke up a cyclops myself.  The other eye was gunky too.   :(  I'm going to re-read this post on something extra I can do since I'm an adult.  Wasn't there something about cayenne?  I'll find it...

I don't understand how this thing is being so garlic resistant.  I've been eating garlic 3x a day and drinking vinigar/honey/water too!  At this point, if I order something now it'd probably get here after this is over (which is one reason why I don't order anything while I'm sick).  I guess this is going to take a lot more garlic, and much more prayer!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:13 AM »
The fun just never ends with this cold.  The Pink Eye flared up again in my son last night, he's not up yet this morning to see how last nights honey/water treated it.  You should have seen the fuss he caused trying to get it in there.  It took both of us to do it and he nearly kicked my husband in the head!

I guess I get to find out how the stuff feels this morning as I woke up a cyclops myself.  The other eye was gunky too.   :(  I'm going to re-read this post on something extra I can do since I'm an adult.  Wasn't there something about cayenne?  I'll find it...

I don't understand how this thing is being so garlic resistant.  I've been eating garlic 3x a day and drinking vinigar/honey/water too!  At this point, if I order something now it'd probably get here after this is over (which is one reason why I don't order anything while I'm sick).  I guess this is going to take a lot more garlic, and much more prayer!

Have you tried the chamomile tea thing? We have used that, too, with success....

Just a thought!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 07:12:37 AM »

If your eye is draining, this isn't necessarily a sign that it's garlic resistant.  It may just be a bad infection and mucous is one of the ways the body rids itself of toxins.  The ducts in the eyes are small and therefore, toxins cannot cleanse as efficiently from the tear ducts as they might from some other "exit".  Keep it up and be patient, it may just take an extra day or two.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »
Yes, the chamomile bag seemed to help my son's eye today.  His has only been red and not 'gunky.'

My dd's looked much better today, a little gunky, no redness in the eye, but the surrounding tissues are still pink.

My eyes are not pink, they're red.  And they hurt terribly!  We put a drop of honey in this morning (that really stings!).  I've been putting the chamomile tea on a rag and using that to rinse the 'gunk' out several times a day.

Tonight I got the idea to rinse them with salt water.  Of course that really stung!  But they are still burning, stinging and itching.

We'll see how things are going tomorrow...
Keep it up and be patient, it may just take an extra day or two.
I'll have to do that, HB.  Not much else I can do.  ;)

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 05:47:04 PM »
I have read all of the posts on this thread and there are so many different remedies.  Could someone give some advice on which one I could try on my 2 WK old.  He has a goopy eye, I have no real idea what it could be from , but the nurses did put eye ointment on him at birth. From what I have read this could have done more harm than good. :-[  He looks like Popeye with his eye closed all of the time. 

Mona

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 05:51:50 PM »
I have read all of the posts on this thread and there are so many different remedies.  Could someone give some advice on which one I could try on my 2 WK old.  He has a goopy eye, I have no real idea what it could be from , but the nurses did put eye ointment on him at birth.

Mona

Breastmilk.   :)  If that doesn't work you could always look into one of the other solutions but for such a small baby IMHO that would be the best choice to start with. 
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »
i would do breast milk every time you feed just squirt some in!!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »
I have read all of the posts on this thread and there are so many different remedies.  Could someone give some advice on which one I could try on my 2 WK old.  He has a goopy eye, I have no real idea what it could be from , but the nurses did put eye ointment on him at birth. From what I have read this could have done more harm than good. :-[  He looks like Popeye with his eye closed all of the time. 

Mona

If I had a 2 week old w/ a goopy eyes, I would squirt bre*st milk in/on it.  Easy and effective.  :)

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 05:57:17 PM »
I have been trying to squirt some it it but he won't open his eye.  Will it be as effective w/o getting the milk directly into the eye?  Thank You! :)

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »
A close friend and her children struggled with pink eye for weeks.  She tried colloidal silver, breast milk, honey and some eye drops from the Doctor.   She isn't one to go the Doctor, but this was getting to be very painful for her.   The Doctor told her that there are viral and bacterial eye infections.   Since even the drops from the Doctor didn't work she figured she probably had the viral kind.  I sent an email to www. wildnernessfamilynaturals.com ask what to do for pink eye.   This what her response was:

I either us Dr. Christopher's Herbal Eyebright formula
and place it into water and drop as eye drops into the eye or I place the
tincture into an eyecup and flush the eye.  This formula is very effective
on a number of eye problems, but work well on all eye infections.

If I do not have Dr. Christopher's' formula here then I make a tea (very
light) with goldenseal or eyebright to flush the eye with.  If you use
goldenseal you only need a pinch and the tea will be a very, very light
yellow.  With eyebright the tea can be darker, but I still do not make a
strong tea.  Both of these teas are very, very effective with infections of
any kind and for flushing the eye if sand or dirt or any foreign object gets
into it.  I believe they work far better than antibiotics.

This is where you can buy  Dr.Christopher's eye bright formula:  http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DR707-115&Category_Code=NRHTS
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 03:37:32 AM »
I have been trying to squirt some it it but he won't open his eye.  Will it be as effective w/o getting the milk directly into the eye?  Thank You! :)

Can you use a wet warm wash cloth or cotton ball to gently clean the eye a bit?

I would think the milk is still doing something on the exterior and getting in somewhere.  How is your baby doing today?

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 04:58:20 AM »

If you could put the milk in a little cup and then get it into a dropper, it would make it easier.  If you are already doing that, I would suggest making this a 2 person job.  One person can hold the eye open while the other puts the drops of breast milk in.  It isn't fun, but it is effective.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 06:48:05 AM »
i would squirt some around the eye and than move his head around a bit while prying his eye open do it will drip in...if that makes any sense!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 09:05:39 AM »
I remember the tiny faces looking up at me, puzzled, with large eyes gazing through the milk puddles!   :D  "What have you done to me NOW, mommy?"

Seriously, though.  Your own milk is wonderful for pink eye and infections.  I usually found it best to express some milk into a clean glass and then drip it into the eyes of the child lying on its back.  It doesn't hurt at all, as long as the milk is extremely fresh and is body temperature.  We tended to make it a 'fun' thing and try to keep the eyes bathed in the milk as long as possible.  I suggest trying to get milk into the eyes at least three or four times a day. 

My father was prone to eye problems and, for the many many years that I was breastfeeding I would bring a small jar of milk to my parents for use in his eyes.  Mom kept it in the fridge and it seemed to only be good for two days.  By end of second day, it would hurt his eyes. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 08:29:45 PM »
I remember the tiny faces looking up at me, puzzled, with large eyes gazing through the milk puddles!     "What have you done to me NOW, mommy?"

i would squirt some around the eye and than move his head around a bit while prying his eye open do it will drip in...if that makes any sense!!

Posted on: February 28, 2007, 08:58:20 AMPosted by: mexmarr 

Can you use a wet warm wash cloth or cotton ball to gently clean the eye a bit?
I would think the milk is still doing something on the exterior and getting in somewhere.  How is your baby doing today?
Posted on: February 28, 2007, 07:12:00 AMPosted by: RB 

Sorry to respond so late but we have had nothing but bad luck around here with this little guy.  As I read through the posts I had to laugh and roil my eyes ::) at my total lack of common sense.  I still have baby brain I guess......or could it be the lack of sleep.LOL ;D
I can totally relate to the puddle of milk in my sweetie's eye it was so funny to read that!  Also, I did finally snap out of it and lifted his eyelid a bit so that the puddle would dissapear into the eye.  The breast milk was really working until he got this cold and now he is gunky again.  This time in his mouth, nose and now both eyes.  I have been doing garlic poultices on his chest and feet and then squeezed the poultice over his eye to let some of the garlic water get in there and that seems to really be clearing his eyes up more quickly this time.  Now if I can only get his nose and mouth clear of the gunk he will be good as new.  Poor little guy. :(

Thank you all!

Offline annegirl

• Learning
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
Hello--I'm new here and just love it!  This forum has been so encouraging and helpful!  Well, I have pink eye.  When I get it I use breastmilk and it always takes care of in about a week.  What about wearing make-up while I have conjunctivitis? (I know, I'm vain  :)).  I've heard in the past that the make-up gets infected too and so you should throw it out.  Is this true? And even if it is, can I still wear the "infected" make-up (Sunday is coming up and I just feel more comfy with make-up on) until my infection clears up ?  What wouldl you all suggest?  Thank you all so much

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 05:41:01 AM »
Hello--I'm new here and just love it!  This forum has been so encouraging and helpful!  Well, I have pink eye.  When I get it I use breastmilk and it always takes care of in about a week.  What about wearing make-up while I have conjunctivitis? (I know, I'm vain  :)).  I've heard in the past that the make-up gets infected too and so you should throw it out.  Is this true? And even if it is, can I still wear the "infected" make-up (Sunday is coming up and I just feel more comfy with make-up on) until my infection clears up ?  What wouldl you all suggest?  Thank you all so much
When I was in school (many eons ago) we were warned not to share makeup with our friends because you could catch Pink Eye from someone else this way.  I've never thrown out my old makeup, but of course, I've never worn any when my eye is swollen, runny and hurting.  But I would venture to guess, that if you're using it all along, it would be infected and could very easily reinfect your eye if you don't replace it.  Pink eye is usually a bacteria (I think) rather than a virus.  Once your body develops an immunity to a virus, you shouldn't catch it again, but this is not the case with bacterial infections.  You can catch these again and again and again.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DebAnn

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
I have just had success with using Mullein tea bags in the same way the Chammomile has been reccomended.  I know that Mullein is not as common a household herb as the Chammomile but I have it on hand to treat my dd's asthma flare ups.  I had read in the Practical Herbalism book that Mullein could be used for pink eye, as a poultice, so I tried it on my mother. Yesterday her left eye had all the symptoms of PE and today it looks normal! The book also says that Mullein's gentle nature makes it one ot the very best herbs for use with children's health problems.  Mom has alzheimers and would fight any type of drops so I was hoping a poultice would work. 
Rejoicing in hope,
       patient in tribulation,
              continuing instant in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2007, 04:47:52 AM »
I have pink eye I'm pretty sure.  I was wondering about the Colloidial (sp?) Silver.  Do you buy it in eye drop form or is there just a product with that name that you can use for many purposes?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2007, 05:46:51 AM »
I have pink eye I'm pretty sure.  I was wondering about the Colloidial (sp?) Silver.  Do you buy it in eye drop form or is there just a product with that name that you can use for many purposes?

Colloidal Siver: When, Where, Why & How to Get It
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
I would approach this from a couple fronts:

• Fighting the infection
  • Building the immune system

FIGHTING THE INFECTION
When there is mucus involved, I keep in mind that the body is trying to expel whatever is in there.  With goop in the eye, I would clean the area with a hot (as hot as tolerable/safe if you're wiping your little ones) washcloth being carefull to not spread the germs by using the same area of the washcloth on the other eye. 

I would then drop a couple drops of (liquefied or solid) coconut oil directly onto the infected eyeball several times a day.  Again carefull not to spread it by letting it drip onto the other un-infected eye.  Since it seems to me that a cold or germs are being processed in the body,  I would also give her a 1/2 teaspoon full (in solid form) or in a syringe (in liquid form) throughout the day.  She may experience some detoxing effects (diarrhea, sneezing, etc.).  Remember these are ALL ways the body eliminates toxins and germs.  Monitor this for a couple of days and check for improvement.

Check out Serene's article (from Above Rubies magazine) on great foods to introduce your baby (INCLUDING coconut oil).  http://rubies.articledirectoree.com/articles/health/nothing-but-the-best-2.html

BUILDING THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
I would use a infant vitamin supplement such as Sembocoul (sp?) during these times to make sure her body has all the resources she needs to fight sickness.  I don't normally use vitamins for my children unless I'm gearing up for a visit with a crowd of people or they're fighting sickness.

Please note, I'm not a doctor.  I'm just sharing my experience, as a mama with a few children, from trying a few things over the years.  Hope this helps.   

~Charity

(for coconut oil products . . . check out our family store below  :D)
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline cherish

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2007, 06:53:29 AM »
Does anyone know if you can use just plain raw milk in the eye instead of breastmilk?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2007, 06:56:43 AM »
Does anyone know if you can use just plain raw milk in the eye instead of breastmilk?

It's my understanding that the human antibodies in the breastmilk are are the main factor to clear the infection.  I don't think the raw milk would hurt in an otherwise normally healthy person but I've never heard of it curing the infection.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2007, 08:45:06 AM »
What Sarah said about the human antibodies present in breastmilk is what I've been taught about it as well.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2007, 12:35:47 PM »
2 weeks after coming home from the hospital with baby number 5, we started passing pink eye around.  2 weeks after that we had 5 out of 7 of us have it.  Thanks to this wonderful website we cured it all at home!!!

Here's my question - I had it the worst.  Ever since it cleared up, I wake up each night to nurse and my eyes are so dry that my eyelid has stuck to my eyeball.  I have to pry it open with my fingers.  It is very irritating.  I put rewetting drops in them each time I wake up.  Does anyone know what caused this...was it the infection....and how do I make it stop???  I don't want to use eye drops forever. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »
It is likely that you still have residual inflammation that is temporarily plugging your tear ducts.  It would be a good idea to continue to put breastmilk into your eyes 4 or more times a day. (remember, can't hurt you at all) 
If it were me, (and it HAS been many, many times!) I would use the end of my ring finger (least strength) to massage the eye area with milk in it.  I would massage through my closed eyelid, concentrating on rubbing from the inside and outside corners toward the center, or high part, of the eyeball.   This seems to help relieve the swelling and open the ducts. 
HTH

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007, 07:03:50 AM »
2 weeks after coming home from the hospital with baby number 5, we started passing pink eye around.  2 weeks after that we had 5 out of 7 of us have it.  Thanks to this wonderful website we cured it all at home!!!

Here's my question - I had it the worst.  Ever since it cleared up, I wake up each night to nurse and my eyes are so dry that my eyelid has stuck to my eyeball.  I have to pry it open with my fingers.  It is very irritating.  I put rewetting drops in them each time I wake up.  Does anyone know what caused this...was it the infection....and how do I make it stop???  I don't want to use eye drops forever. 
I agree with the clogged tear ducts theory.  Maybe you need to throw in a sad movie to help move things along.  ;)

Cod liver oil is supposed to help with eye dryness and it's good for so many other great and wonderful things.  Maybe this would help.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
It is likely that you still have residual inflammation that is temporarily plugging your tear ducts.  It would be a good idea to continue to put breastmilk into your eyes 4 or more times a day. (remember, can't hurt you at all) 
If it were me, (and it HAS been many, many times!) I would use the end of my ring finger (least strength) to massage the eye area with milk in it.  I would massage through my closed eyelid, concentrating on rubbing from the inside and outside corners toward the center, or high part, of the eyeball.   This seems to help relieve the swelling and open the ducts. 
HTH

Thanks so much!!  I just started doing that with the breastmilk today.  About the other response...I take cod liver oil each morning in capsules.  Are you saying to keep it up orally or are you saying to pop the capsule and rub it on my eye?  I don't even know if I'd have tears if I cried since I haven't cried since this started...I guess that's a good thing, right? :)

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
Hi,My daughter has a runny eye.it waters in the corner and gunk comes out too,it's starting to hurt her.What do you think it maybe? and how cold we fix it?maybe it's A clogged eye duct?Thank you So much!

(sincerly)
                                       Faith