Author Topic: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures  (Read 136471 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2010, 03:42:45 AM »

How do you recognize a clogged tear duct ?

Someone with a clogged tear duct will have frequent infections and styes, which is probably what my son has.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2010, 04:42:12 AM »
You can't really see a clogged tear duct, but the eye will just be goopy.  A couple of mine had this when they were babies.  It was goopy when they'd wake up, but the white wasn't red or irritated, and they didn't really mess with it.  It doesn't spread from one eye to the other, or through the family either like pink eye would.  I guess it could cause a child to get an eye infection, but it never did with mine.  It usually clears on its own, but the doctor can do something if it persists.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:43:44 AM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:58 AM »
Someone with a clogged tear duct generally has trouble producing tears when crying.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
DH went to have an eye exam today for glasses & the Dr discovered that DH has a minor eye infection that he says is bacterial. Of course the Dr gave 'script antibiotic eye drops but I would rather not go that route.

DH hasn't had any symptoms & the Dr said it was just starting but I think I might have it also in both eyes b/c my eyes have been itchy off & on for a month or so but my yeast/fungus has been real bad during the same time so I had just assumed it was yeast. I'm thinking that if I've had it for a month the rest of the family might have it as well & also that it could be yeast & bacteria mixed.

So my 'baby' is a teen so no br*stmilk, I'm low on all my herbs & can't get to a HFS right now.

I did find a small amount of Goldenseal BUT DH drives for a living & I'm worried that if he's putting Goldenseal in his eyes while working it will stain his skin & freak someone out.

Can someone that's used Goldenseal in the eyes tell me if that's a problem?

I do have Kelp though. Has anyone tried making it into a tea & using it in the eyes?

Besides Kelp I have Comfrey, Milk Thistle seed, Burdock, Castor oil & GSE.

(GSE would HAVE to be diluted. 1 drop Nutribiotic's GSE to 1 ounce water is the dilution I use most of the time- don't forget if using Beeyoutiful's GSE that it's about twice as strong as Nutribiotic's. NEVER use GSE on mucus membranes, in eyes, etc w/out diluting it) 

That's all that I have that might work. Whatever I use for DH it has to be something that he can use just a few times a day quickly & easily & (like tea to drop in the eye, not repeated compresses) can't leave his eyes or skin around his eyes looking weird.

I've heard of Castor oil for eyes but has anyone tried it for infections like this & if so, will applying it only at bed time or at most at bedtime & as soon as he gets up work?

TIA Blessings ~herbalmom

Edited to add warning about diluting GSE.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:34:30 PM by herbalmom »

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
Fresh aloe is absolutely wonderful for eye infections.  If you don't have one, you could get one very cheaply.  Then you could cut small sections and put them in a bag or container hor you DH to apply as he needed.  It is sticky, but it would be clear and absorb quickly. 

I don't know the answers to the other questions, but my bet would be on comfrey.  Maybe you could make an infusion and saturate some paper towels to make wipes?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »
Would you believe that I thought of my bottled Aloe, (Aloe Life brand) decided not to use it b/c it has Vit C in it so it would sting & stinging means bloodshot eyes- NOT good when you drive for a living- but totally forgot about my Aloe PLANTS?  ::) ::)

So the Aloe plant is a great idea but DH's hands are usually greasy &/or dirty so we decided not to go that route.

I think we figured it out. DH tried dipping a Q-tip in Castor oil & dripping a drop into each eye. (fresh Q-tip end for each eye & we're going to treat both eyes just in case) His vision cleared in just a minute & he said he would be able to do that during work if he stops somewhere with a bathroom.

I gave him the choice between Goldenseal tea (figured it could be done the same way) & Castor oil. Since Castor oil also soothes dry eyes (which he has a problem with) he chose the Castor oil.

So what we figured out is that I'm going to send a small bottle of Castor oil, Q-tips & some small pieces of soap (since most of the places he can stop at during work have scented soaps  :P) so he can wash his face (gets grimy also during work & we don't want to get dirt in his eyes) & hands & apply the Castor oil. At home before bed, when he gets up & once during work should do it.   

Guess I should have tried the Castor oil BEFORE posting.  ;) ::) :D

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2010, 05:36:29 AM »
We've used colloidal silver with excellent success on eye infections.  2-3 drops per eye 3-4 times a day.  We treat both eyes too, as conjunctivitis is SO extrememly contagious.
It doesn't burn at all, and just feels like water in the eye.  I am usually very cautious about using colloidal silver, but I consider this topical use, and it's VERY effective.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
If I had any colloidal silver that would have been my 1st choice but I'm out & can't get to the HFS right now. So far the Castor oil seems to be working so I figure we'll keep using that. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
If I had any colloidal silver that would have been my 1st choice but I'm out & can't get to the HFS right now. So far the Castor oil seems to be working so I figure we'll keep using that. Blessings ~herbalmom

I'd like to know how this Cod Liver Oil worked out? Did you need to give in and go the prescription route?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »

I'd like to know how this Cod Liver Oil worked out? Did you need to give in and go the prescription route?

NOT Cod Liver oil- CASTOR oil. Cod Liver oil probably could be used in the eye but I don't know for sure so I wouldn't recommend it.

He didn't have any symptoms- the eye Dr found it while doing an exam for glasses & said it was just starting- so it's hard to know for sure but it didn't get to the point of causing symptoms so the Castor oil seems to have done the trick. At that, DH only applied the Castor oil about 4 times- he's really bad about following through with treatments of any kind, esp when he doesn't have symptoms.  ::) ::)

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »

Haha! Whoops! I knew what you meant, I just typed it wrong from my brain! LOL

I am glad it was so effective! Thanks for the update. So many times we hear on WellTellMe how someone is going to try such and such then we never know what happened so we can all learn from it. 

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »

Well, we did the colloidal silver at 50ppm (50 parts per million) and it had a couple of homeoptahic ingredients in it too. It was $11.
It worked. One drop per eye a few times a day. However, maybe the 10 or 15 ppm would be better to use in the eyes because the one we had did sting a tad. Which with children can be a fault. But ours toughed it out.

A friend of mine suggested the use of Similisan. They make a pink eye formula and an earache formula and supposedly it is available at most drugstores.

Offline Kitten Kisses

• Learning
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »
When my baby got pink eye I called Karen Hurd, she recommended 2000 mg of Vit C every 3 hours for me-since I am nursing.  It's important that there isn't sugar in the pills or else you are compromising their already compromised immune systems.  His pink eye cleared up in 2 days!!!!  I don't know what dosage you could do for your kids. . . . but that was amazing and VERY cheap with no burning.  :)  

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »
Breastmilk worked in 2 days for us.  I also tried the chamomile tea bags and my son ended up with petechiae (tiny broken blood vessels) around his eyes.  Has anyone else experienced this?   ???  I think chamomile must have antithrombotic properties due to coumarin content.

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2010, 06:14:07 PM »
Has anyone ever used GSE in the eye for conjunctivitis? DH is using drops from the Dr. and it's helping a little but we'd like to clear it up a little quicker.

Thanks!
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »
colliodal silver works well.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Oh man! I would be VERY nervous to do GSE in the eye!!!! A friends 9 year old just had it and it spread to both of them. They did 3-4 drops of collodial silver, then green tea bags. Steeped it in a small amount of water. Once it was cool enough but still warm put it on the eye, let it sit there awhile and let a little green tea slip in there!! She said it was 100% better within 24 hours!!! They did that ever 3-4 hours I think. HTH

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »
ATG- i know I posted before about possibly using GSE for an eye infection but I forgot to post at the time that it MUST be diluted. DON'T use it straight in the eye. I added this to my post but wanted to re-post it here to be sure that you saw it:

(GSE would HAVE to be diluted. 1 drop Nutribiotic's GSE to 1 ounce water is the dilution I use most of the time- don't forget if using Beeyoutiful's GSE that it's about twice as strong as Nutribiotic's. NEVER use GSE on mucus membranes, in eyes, etc w/out diluting it) 

Has anyone ever used GSE in the eye for conjunctivitis? DH is using drops from the Dr. and it's helping a little but we'd like to clear it up a little quicker.

Thanks!

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »
I've had an itchy eye for the past few days, maybe a week.  It's just in one eye and mostly in the corner that is close to the nose.  Not sure the reason so I thought I would ask here.  I didn't use any new creams or eye make up but even if I am allergic to something like my eyeliner-wouldn't it affect both eyes?
I don't have any colloidal silver and I don't breastfeed. :(  I do have Echinacea, Goldenseal, Clarkia and some teas.  Is there anything I can use that would help.  The itching is driving me insane! :[   
Thank you so much ladies! -                                                                                       

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
Anyone???

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
Anyone???

Goldenseal is real good. Also bilberry or chamomile. But don't use chamomile if you have ragweed allergy.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
We have good results with saline.  Use it frequently during the day and it usually clears up any redness, itching or infection.   Use 1/4 teaspoon-1/2 teaspoon plain salt in one cup warm water with a good pinch of baking soda.  Pickling salt or other salt without additives is best.

Tea bag compresses (black or green) are good, too.  Be careful to keep the temperature comfortably warm, never hot.

If it is allergies, then you might want to do nasal irrigation as well.

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
Do I dilute Goldenseal and how much?  I think it will burn if I use it full strength. 
I've tried this "Special Formula for Eye drops" I got from "Improving your Vision" thread:
Formula: 5 parts (measures) distilled water

2 parts best grade of honey

1 part pure apple cider vinegar

(Sterling or other good brand)
and it really burned my eye for a minute or two.  Is it supposed to do that or is something wrong with the formula?  I did use Manuka Honey.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »
Do I dilute Goldenseal and how much?  I think it will burn if I use it full strength. 
I've tried this "Special Formula for Eye drops" I got from "Improving your Vision" thread:
Formula: 5 parts (measures) distilled water

2 parts best grade of honey

1 part pure apple cider vinegar

(Sterling or other good brand)
and it really burned my eye for a minute or two.  Is it supposed to do that or is something wrong with the formula?  I did use Manuka Honey.

Are you wanting to dilute goldenseal tincture or tea?  I would just brew tea until it cools and put drops into the eye. Your formula may have burned because of the vinegar.

Offline TariOronar

• Learning
    • Herbal Scents
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2010, 12:45:46 AM »
My husband had pink eye about 3.5  weeks ago.  We successfully treated it using breast milk.  Then, 2 days ago, it started feeling like I had something in my eye.  And today, when I woke up to feed the baby, my eye is bright pink.   I'm also treating it with breast milk.
Its possible that I picked it up while at the doctor's office for a sore throat/ear infection.  But, since my husband just had it, I'm concerned that it's hanging out somewhere in my home.  My first reaction is I want to wipe down the entire house with antibacterial wipes, I really dont want my kids to get this.  But, since I dont particularly want to use antibiotics -- even in cleaning wipes, I'm not quite sure what to do to try to get this out of my house.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »
You might just try treating everyone with an Eye-Ear-Nose-Throat regimen, plus immune boosters.  

I would suggest irrigating the eyes with saline, as well as the noses, gargling with warm salty water, and lots of raw garlic added to meals or snacks (not on an empty stomach).  Irrigation is especially important before bed and on waking.  Frequently during the day if the eyes are affected, too.

Of course, you can use all sorts of things besides saline like colloidal silver, GSE, etc.  We have always had good success with salt water.

The ear part would be a few drops of peroxide in each ear for 30 seconds or so.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:13:26 PM by DHW »

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:11 AM »
Does anyone know what can cause a recurring eye infection? I have been battling pink eye off and on since December!! I have been very careful with cleanliness. I've thrown all my makeup out, contacts that I was wearing, even my contact lens case with every outbreak. Seriously, I have bought new everything like 3 times now! I even threw away my makeup bag. I've completely stopped wearing contacts for awhile. But it keeps coming back!! Sometimes it's mild, but this morning it's in both eyes and my left one is so swollen, it only opens halfway. I know how to treat it, but was wondering why I keep getting it? This happened to me once before about 8 years ago, only it never went away. I had pink eye for about a month. So I finally went to an eye Dr. who of course prescribed antibiotics and it cleared up immediately! I didn't know about the evils of antibiotics then, but even with what I know about them now, I'm tempted to just take some to get rid of it once and for all! Any thoughts?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2013, 05:34:30 AM »
Get homeopathic Euphrasia in a 30C.  Dissolve 4 pellets in 16oz. of water.  Use a clean cottonball and dip into the water.  Bathe both eyes with it 3x's a day.  It should be gone within a few days.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »
Do you live on a farm, and are any livestock having pinkeye issues? or has it been an issue in the past where the bacteria is very concentrated in your environment? Don't touch your face or eyes at all unless your hands are freshly washed if any of this could be the case. Also, you might rinse your eyes after cleaning out barns or doing anything that is dusty where bacteria might ride on the dust and settle in your eyes.

Is it very dusty or are there high pollen counts where you are?

I don't use collodial silver much internally, but it is fantastic for pinkeye in my experience. I use 2-3x a day until the active infection is gone, then once a day for another couple days.

In addition, you might try an herbal eyewash to sort of "reset". Dr Christopher has a formula that some of my friends have used.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! I went to the eye dr. today and it turns out Im allergic to my contacts. Its called GPC or something like that..so anyway, she suggested I take a break from contacts for awhile and then try a new brand in a few months and then we'll go from there.  :)