Author Topic: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures  (Read 136472 times)

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures
« on: May 23, 2006, 03:10:44 AM »
My 2 and 3 year old have been waking up with majorly gunked up crusted eyes! I don't know how they can see. I gave them some allergy meds for watery eyes before bed hoping it would help, but didn't seem to at all. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to get rid ofIit?

I remember when I was  little waking up and my eyes were stuck together, but not very often. Anyways, they've never really had problems with this before, so I don't know much about it.

Thanks!

Jessica, at home with 3 girls 3 and under! :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye & Eye Infections: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:47:48 AM »
My 2 and 3 year old have been waking up with majorly gunked up crusted eyes!

This sounds like conjunctivitis.  Bacterial infection in the eyes (or pink eye).  Most docs will prescribe antibiotics, but I usually fight this on my own.  It's very important to keep fingers out of the eyes while healing.  In the mornings, use very warm clean wash cloths and use a different cloth for each eye to clean them up whenever they get gunky.  Do not reuse or cross over with the cloths as this could keep the infection spreading.  This is contagious and unlike a virus, it will reinfect the same person over and over.  Then use immune building remedies, ginger, garlic, etc to clean them up from the inside out. 

It probably wouldn't hurt to clean the pillow cases each day and maybe even the sheets until you kick it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:57:51 AM »
I don't know if you're nursing but I have had great success treating eye infections with breast milk.
Maria
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Michelle

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:00:01 AM »
Yes I also think it's conjunctivitis which I treat with Chamomile tea.  I have 9 children and through trial and error found this the best remedy (although I might try the breastmilk idea out of curiosity)  Just steep chamomile tea bags in a little hot water and cool until just tolerable and place the juicy bags on eyes for about 10 minutes to kill infection.  Do this twice a day (usually when kids get up and before bed).  It does not sting. Do be sure to dispose of tea bags after 1 use so as not to spread the infection.  The warmer the tea bags - the better, but it does not have to burn.  I have found it quite effective to kill it within 2-3 days.

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »
I can confirm the breastmilk....it worked like a charm with my little girl.  I started squirting her in the eyes almost as soon as I noticed her eye had green puss & was red, & swollen.  It was gone by the next evening.  Breastmilk is a great thing!
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:33:14 PM »
Well, my daughter's school called today saying they thought it was pink eye. Her doc prescribed some eye drops for her. It hadn't really looked red at all until after she got to school though. If I could get them to be still and not cry for 10 minutes, then I would do the chamomile tea, but I can't see how I could get them to keep it on their eyes without me holding them down and them crying. I wish I were breastfeeding now, but my baby is formula fed. Homemade herbal remedies are a realitively new thing to me, and I haven't tried many things. Plus she can't go back to school until it's cleared up. (she's in a specialized preschool)

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 05:10:11 AM »
I'm gonna have to try that breastmilk thing now that my 3 year old seems to have pink eye.  I have always treated my pink eye with the disinfectant solution I use for my contact lenses.  It usually takes 2 days to clear completely.

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 06:28:56 AM »
We use colloidal silver... or honey. Honey sometimes stings, but it works well.

--gabe

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:40:48 AM »
When my dad got conjunctivitis (which is what your condition sounds like to me) I made him a potato poultice I got out of an herb book. It healed him right up!

Potato Poultice: Get a medium size white potato. Wash the dirt off and shred it (peel and all) into a 6" circle of clean cotton fabric. Bring fabric together at top w/ string or a rubber band. Pour a little warm water into a shallow bowl or onto a plate and let poultice soak in water (or soak up the water, rather) for just a couple minutes. Lay back and place the poultice over eye. Let stay for a good thirty minutes or more.

A garlic clove minced into the potato poultice would be really good if you can stand the burn.

I hope your eyes heal quickly.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 07:53:04 AM »
When my dad got conjunctivitis (which is what your condition sounds like to me) I made him a potato poultice I got out of an herb book. It healed him right up!

I've never tried this, but this treatment is also recommended for styes in the eyelids.  You can just cut a chunck of the peel off the potatoe and put it directly on the eye as well.
  My favorite herb book!!

Heidi Graves

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 08:16:44 AM »
Colloidal Silver works wonderfully!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 04:02:21 AM »
A question about styes....I just noticed what I believe to be a small stye just inside my eyelid near the lash line in my left eye this morning. 

I removed and disposed of my contacts as soon as I saw the stye.  I read the above potato remedy, but does anyone know of any other remedies for styes?

Thanks in advance!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:41:08 AM »
BUMP  ;D
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:41:56 PM »
I can confirm the breastmilk....it worked like a charm with my little girl.  I started squirting her in the eyes almost as soon as I noticed her eye had green puss & was red, & swollen.  It was gone by the next evening.  Breastmilk is a great thing!

I can confirm the breastmilk thing as well. My baby was about 3 months old when I noticed that one of her eyes was getting weepy and would have yellowish junk in the corner. I put 1 or 2 drops of breastmilk in her eye while I was nursing her and just let it sit there for a while. It turns out that she had a clogged tear duct (which went away after massaging it for several days). Her eye was just beginning to become infected, but got better after several days of the breastmilk application, and the infection never came back.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »
My son had severe pink eye a few months ago and I put honey mixed with warm water in his eyes with a dropper.  Just a few drops in each eye about three times a day.  The infection was completely gone within three days!  And it was really nasty, lots of yellow infection constantly leaking out of his eyes, red and irritated - the poor guy was miserable.  But after three days it was gone and hasn't come back since.  My other son started to get it, I put drops in his eyes for a day and he never got it.  So... I totally suggest the honey.  ;D 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline yanceysemdj

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
Does anyone know of a natural remedy for conjuctivitis/pink eye in a 2 yo? Thanks
Happy to be Mrs. Yancey and mom to Stephan 20, Elizabeth 19, Matthew 17, David 5, James - waiting for us in the arms of our Saviour, Anna 2, Faith- with the Lord, and ?? (anticipated January 2010)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 01:25:54 PM »
If you are still nursing, you can use fresh breastmilk just as you would the prescription stuff.  Just put a drop in three times each day for about three days.  ~L

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 01:26:42 PM »
Honey applied directly to the eye - in the outside corner - three times a day until symptoms disappear. This does sting and burn a little, but it also works.

Another remedy that does NOT sting is colloidal silver drops, applied 3 times daily.

I've used both treatments, successfully.

-Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline yanceysemdj

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »
Petrimama, sadly not still nursing but thanks

Beeyoutiful girl, thanks, I think I'll try the silver
Happy to be Mrs. Yancey and mom to Stephan 20, Elizabeth 19, Matthew 17, David 5, James - waiting for us in the arms of our Saviour, Anna 2, Faith- with the Lord, and ?? (anticipated January 2010)

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 01:59:30 PM »
Tri-light herbs has a formula called "See No Evil" that is supposed to help with pink eye.  We have used garlic extract (Kyolic) successfully, but it hurts terribly, wouldn't try it on a 2yo.  I think someone mentioned already breastmilk.  Hope it clears up.

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 02:03:52 AM »
OK it sounds weird, but my mom uses 1 T boric acid to a 1/2 quart of water. Then she takes a clean cotton ball for each eye and wipes from inside corner to the outside corner. This always cleared it up within a day. I use it on my kids too. Also she does colloidal silver for everything.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »
Pink Eye was going around our church recently. I woke up one morning with my right eye pink and crusty. Right away I put 3 drops of silver in it and continued every few hours. The next day it was gone!! This can be used on babies up to adults. It is safe and actually what they usto use on newborns in the hospitals to keep eye infections away, instead of the stuff they use now which blinds the baby for a couple hours. I used the silver on my newborn too.

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 05:11:46 AM »
I just got pink eye and since I am nursing still I used the breastmilk treatment and it worked like a charm!  My two girls are sick and since I was starting to come down with something I took two whole garlic cloves coated with raw honey and I am 99.9% healthy.  Breast milk it's the way to go.  Only use the garlic if you aren't planning to conceive. :D
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 05:26:01 AM »
I have a puffy eye myself right now. I've been doing eye washes of chamomile tea with salt, olive leaf, and (since I'm an adult) a couple grains red pepper. It works well. DS's eyes cleared up in 3 days.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 07:57:57 AM »
My 14 week old has a watery eye. He had a cold last week and ever since, his eye is water and gets a bit crusty after he sleeps. Is this a clogged duct? I have been doing garlic plasters and ginger baths since he has been sick and is still a little stuffy. But, his eye is not getting better and it is nearly impossible to keep his hands out of his eye. I wash it with a warm, wet rag constantly, new each time. I just started massaging it while he is nursing. Should I apply breast milk? If it is a clogged duct, will that help? I guess I just can't tell if it is infection or just clogged! Help! We are heading to NY to visit Nana and I would like to get him better before the 12 hour car trip. Thanks!
Jessica

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 09:13:45 AM »
My 14 week old has a watery eye. He had a cold last week and ever since, his eye is water and gets a bit crusty after he sleeps. Is this a clogged duct? I have been doing garlic plasters and ginger baths since he has been sick and is still a little stuffy. But, his eye is not getting better and it is nearly impossible to keep his hands out of his eye. I wash it with a warm, wet rag constantly, new each time. I just started massaging it while he is nursing. Should I apply breast milk? If it is a clogged duct, will that help? I guess I just can't tell if it is infection or just clogged! Help! We are heading to NY to visit Nana and I would like to get him better before the 12 hour car trip. Thanks!
Jessica
Yes.  If it is a clogged duct the breastmilk will help it.  Take garlic yourself so it will go through your milk and that will help him to get over his sickness.  I just got pink eye yesterday and since I'm still nursing I just put it in my eye and it was gone by the evening.  Breastmilk is like garlic, it's just awesome!
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 03:24:12 PM »
I've been treating my 2 yo girl with the honey water for two days now.  At first it really cleared up the symptoms, but it is now not helping!

Any other suggestions?  DH is really worried about the health of her eyes and I don't want to take her to a doctor and get the nasty man-made junk they'll give!

Offline homeschooling madre

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 05:49:39 PM »
My son had pink eye last week.  I used contact lens eye drops (need to have boric acid as one of the ingredients).  These can be used as often as you want during the day.  We also did the chamomile tea bag treatment and an oral eyebright tincture.  His was gone in 5 days - I can't say whether that's amazing or not because no one in our family has ever had pink eye before - but it worked without having a doctor visit or spreading to anyone else in the family!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 05:25:53 AM »
I've been treating my 2 yo girl with the honey water for two days now.  At first it really cleared up the symptoms, but it is now not helping!

Any other suggestions?  DH is really worried about the health of her eyes and I don't want to take her to a doctor and get the nasty man-made junk they'll give!
I've treated pink eye with antibiotics once and they were ineffective.  The most useful technique that I've found is to clean each eye with a clean hot cloth (one cloth per eye to prevent cross contamination) every morning and anytime there is buildup.  This has kicked it every time; however if you need a boost, I'm sure throwing some garlic (orally) or other immune boosters in the mix, sure wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 05:27:28 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 06:12:57 AM »
I did two things last night:  1) increased the amount of honey in the mix and 2) gave her the oral honey/garlic.

For the first time she looked better in the morning after a long period without the medicine all night.  Usually the best improvement was right after med.  And yes, we do use a warm cloth to clean her eyes at every honey/water treatment.  Yesterday we put it in her eyes about 5 times!

We are going to bathe her today and wash her sheets.  Hopefully we can go to church tomorrow if her eyes are clear.   :)  I'm just too impatient with these things, I guess.   ;)  Thanks for all the help.