Author Topic: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]  (Read 117217 times)

Offline smileyface

• Adept
Re: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 06:22:20 PM »
I'm out of town visiting family, and my 2 oldest have some kind of stomach bug.  :-\ They have each vomited a few times, and are feeling pretty yucky. They aren't running fevers though, just upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. Since I'm not home, I have nothing on hand. But I think I might be able to get some activated charcoal tomorrow, and probably some probiotics. I have never used activated charcoal, they are 7 and 8, it should be ok for them right? ??? Is there a special type I should be looking for? Doesn't it come in powder and pill form? And can I give them the probiotics at the same time? Or would the charcoal just absorb them? I think they are done with the vomiting, but they are still feeling nauseous. And we have lots of family to see tomorrow that we haven't seen in a while. I would hate for them to not be able to enjoy the visit because they feel yucky.  :( :( Any other recommendations? Thanks!  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 08:26:26 AM »
I'm out of town visiting family, and my 2 oldest have some kind of stomach bug.  :-\ They have each vomited a few times, and are feeling pretty yucky. They aren't running fevers though, just upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. Since I'm not home, I have nothing on hand. But I think I might be able to get some activated charcoal tomorrow, and probably some probiotics. I have never used activated charcoal, they are 7 and 8, it should be ok for them right? ??? Is there a special type I should be looking for? Doesn't it come in powder and pill form? And can I give them the probiotics at the same time? Or would the charcoal just absorb them? I think they are done with the vomiting, but they are still feeling nauseous. And we have lots of family to see tomorrow that we haven't seen in a while. I would hate for them to not be able to enjoy the visit because they feel yucky.  :( :( Any other recommendations? Thanks!  :)

It is so awful to feel ucky when you are away from home. 
Yes, charcoal would be good for both of them.   I give 1 tbsp in about 1/2 cup of water with another glass of water for a chaser.   ;)    I have read that you shouldn't take any other kind of meds or supplements within a half hour of taking charcoal.     Just be sure it is activated charcoal.   Either powder or pills are fine but you can control how much you give in the powder easier.   HTH
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »
well, we are in day 7 of passing the stomach flu between people.   :P  2 nights i've stayed up all night, and last night i was awake at every sound someone made being paranoid!  i am curious, what you ladies feed your other kids when someone around you has the flu (vomiting kind).  i prefer to starve it out, myself when others have it around me.  i feel queasy and just don't have any desire to eat.  but of course, kids don't take kindly to that plan!!!  i feel that our bodies can use their defenses to fight it, if we are not stuffing lots of food in for it to have to work hard to digest.  i've been giving the others kefir smoothies, but the last kid to get it felt kinda sick when she got up, took TTU, about an hour later had the smoothie, then 2 hours later threw that up.   so what measures do you all take with the well kids so they don't get it?  i have two that haven't had it, and i would love it if they didn't!  i am giving them acidophoilis blast and garlic.  my son seems to escape sometimes when everyone else gets it.  ideas?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:01:46 AM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 10:25:33 AM »
Stomach flu can only be passed from either poo or vomit to mouth.  That simple.  The only way to try to keep it at bay is to thoroughly wash surfaces in bleach - including doorknobs, railings, light switches, bathrooms, etc.  If you (or child) touches poo or vomit, then touches a surface or food without THOROUGHLY washing hands in running, warm water and soap for 15-30 seconds, then the virus passes.  It likes warm, wet places.  It can survive for a day or two.  But even after a child is better, the live virus can survive in their bowels for 72 hours.  Hands must be washed well after using the bathroom each and every time.  If you've been cleaning linens, the virus is in your laundry room and appliances.
Sorry to sound paranoid, but that's the deal.  It's why this virus does so well on cruise ships, dorm rooms, restaurants, schools, etc.  It CAN NOT be trasmitted through the air unless of course someone throws up and it hits you on the face!  Yukko!  It has to be ingested in some way or another.
So, get some bleach wipes and go after all your doorknobs and surfaces, get those bathrooms really clean, conduct a handwashing clinic in your home with your people, and then pray!
We had it a couple winters ago, with 3-5 days between people, and it took (with one relaspe on one kid) almost 3 weeks to make it's way through our home.  It was during the winter Olympics in Torino, so we called it the Puke Olympics.
Hoping you get well soon!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 11:33:26 AM »
ok--then how did we get it????  we went to someone's house who had the flu.  she had it Thursday.  we went there SUNDAY!!!  my 15yo. got it monday night.  i am washing my hands like crazy.  so far, there hasn't been much that landed on any surface. ok, so i forgot to hit post and since i wrote this 2 more kids have gotten it!  anyway, it has beeen really bad and it seemed there was nothing i could do.  the probiotics that always worked after the first episode just came back up with all but one kid.  i am stumped & very frutrated. 

i didn't want to use bleach on my 100 year old house.  most of the door knobs are original.  so we used aerosol lysol and left it on to dry.  but it must have been too late.  now every single person in here has had it.  i am going to do the handwashing clinic with them, just so they can try not to bring things like this home.

also, if it is viral how is it possible that it can live "on" things for 3 days?

what to do about the washer?  tea tree oil?  and the dryer--wouldn't the heat kill it?  thanks for your advice, my friend that we got it from is a nurse and she said it can't live on surfaces very long at all, so it must have been in the air in her house. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:01:25 AM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
I cant remember all the types but I have learned that there are several types of the stomach flue AKA gastroenteritis.

-viral
-bacterial
-also it can be caused by a certain parasite. ( dunno what kind it might have been called Giardia)

So it can be transmitted via many ways for example like :

-Eating food/drink contaminated
- Eating/drinking after someone who is sick with it.
-Airborn, I read where breathing in a  stomach flu sick persons vomit while cleaning it up can cause you to get the virus that can cause it.

I am on my 2nd episode of it. I got the 1st episode about 8 days ago. It is not as bad this time. I sent my mom to the very trusted Natures Sunshine herbalist lady  this morning to get me some :
- anti-gas pills ( they work great and have some great herbs in them) they are really limiting the painful intestional cramping and bloating.

-some non-milk source acidophilus pills ( because at this point any milk would do me in) They have some powerful vegatarian probodics like I need.

-and some herbs for boosting the immune system.

-Also I just ordered some Yeast Assassin today from beeyoutiful.com.

I want to attack  whatever is causing this repeat stomch flu full force.

Peppermint has been helping me a great deal as well. If your kids can tolerate it it might help them to rub some of the peppermint oil on their abdomins. It helps me some. But one can easily rub it in their eyes and that burns so becareful. Also putting some peppermint oil drops in their belly button helps.

I am wandering the same thing :
" how to get rid of it and avoid it happening again"

Of course cleanliness is a major issue in helping it but how can a mother do that when the kids and parents are all barfing and needing care and cleaning up? That is why I am focusing on boosting my immune system so my body can better fight this dreaded stuff off. I certainly do not want episode 3 coming. My kids have each had it 2 times the past 8 days as well but it has been mild for them.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »
Depending on incubation time, that makes sense.   You pick it up, it sits in you for 1-5 days for whatever virus it is, then WHAMMO the puke-fest starts.  We've had 24 hour incubation time, and then 5 day incubation time.  Nasty little buggers!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »
well, we are in day 7 of passing the stomach flu between people.   :P  l2 nights i've stayed up all night, and last night i was awake at every sound someone made being paranoid!  i am curious, what you ladies feed your other kids when someone around you has the flu (vomiting kind).  i prefer to starve it out, myself when others have it around me.  i feel queasy and just don't have any desire to eat.  but of course, kids don't take kindly to that plan!!!  i feel that our bodies can use their defenses to fight it, if we are not stuffing lots of food in for it to have to work hard to digest.  i've been giving the others kefir smoothies, but the last kid to get it felt kinda sick when she got up, took TTU, about an hour later had the smoothie, then 2 hours later threw that up.   so what measures do you all take with the well kids so they don't get it?  i have two that haven't had it, and i would love it if they didn't!  i am giving them acidophoilis blast and garlic.  my son seems to escape sometimes when everyone else gets it.  ideas?

Besides TTU, I always cook with lots of good stock- chicken rice or noodle soup and eat things like toast and soft eggs. Room temp drinks as they can handle.

I also do the washing with bleach thing.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »
I'm always the one asking questions but this time i can answer one...I found this stuff called virus stop. It used to be called purify but it stopped viruses so well they changed the name. I get it at the healthfood store in my town. This stuff is amazing. If someone in my house is sick then the rest of us take the virus stop and nobody else gets it. GREAT stuff!!!
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 01:35:04 PM »
BJ, I can tell you're feeling better!!!  Praise the Lord, huh?

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 01:40:33 AM »
I'm always the one asking questions but this time i can answer one...I found this stuff called virus stop. It used to be called purify but it stopped viruses so well they changed the name. I get it at the healthfood store in my town. This stuff is amazing. If someone in my house is sick then the rest of us take the virus stop and nobody else gets it. GREAT stuff!!!

What is this and what's in it??
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Mama Bear

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 03:08:07 AM »
What about using activated charcoal? We are getting over the stomach bug too...uh, but not the vomiting kind (KWIM? :o) yeah, not pretty. ~and not everyone here got it. I used the activated charcoal on myself and it stopped the 'action'...didn't really make me feel better, but I was able to function at least. I couldn't get DS (who had it bad) to use it...fortunatley, now the bug is gone...but I am still santitizing the house!!
Gina

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 05:24:46 AM »

more info???  is there a brand name?  do you buy it over the internet or at a local health food store?  and one more question--is it homeopathic?  thanks!  i will be doing this stuff as i am desperate not to go through this again.  by the time all is said and done we will have been out of all activities for 2 weeks, my hubby missed 2 days of work and probably should have stayed home longer not to give it to others.  school is on hold and i have lost about 3 nights of sleep.  it has been awful.  thanks so much for posting this and in advance for answering my questions. 

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 05:37:32 AM »
I will have to call and find out the answers to your questions. I'm really not sure but i do know its wonderful stuff. Its put the owner of the healthfood store in remission from Lupus. It's not homeapathy i do know that. Let me find out some more info on it and i will let you know. You could go to a healthfood store and ask about it. Its called VIRUS STOP and the old name was PURIFY.

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 05:51:39 AM »
I will have to call and find out the answers to your questions. I'm really not sure but i do know its wonderful stuff. Its put the owner of the healthfood store in remission from Lupus. It's not homeapathy i do know that. Let me find out some more info on it and i will let you know. You could go to a healthfood store and ask about it. Its called VIRUS STOP and the old name was PURIFY.

Thanks, i just googled it and it was all about computer viruses.   ::)

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »
 :D

Thanks, i just googled it and it was all about computer viruses.   ::)

:D

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
OK, i found the brand name so now you can google it without bringing  up computer viruses. ;D

The brand name is called Enzymedica

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »
OK, i found the brand name so now you can google it without bringing  up computer viruses. ;D

The brand name is called Enzymedica

cool!  thanks!

ok, so now i found it, just exactly how much do you usually take or give to your kids?  1 daily, or 1 w/ each meal, and for how many days after the first person gets sick? 

this week--child #1 gets sick Monday night, child #2 friday night, dad on Sunday and Monday, child #3, 4 and 5 on the following Monday.  so for 1 full week it ran through our house.   :P  thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:14:06 AM by 4myhoonie »

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2007, 05:28:37 AM »
Because of the cost, we can't afford to take them every day for maintenance. I'm sure some ppl do that though. If we have been around someone who has a virus or if one of us get sick, i will start my family on the virus stop. At Thanksgiving one year we had family that came and brought a stomach virus with them. I didn't have any virus stop at the time and because of it being thanksgiving day I couldn't get any. The next day my dd was sick with the virus and then my other dd got sick. I was searching in the cabinet for something and found the virus stop bottle had about 4 pills left. I was excited and thought i would test it out and see if it really worked. So, i started taking them and even though i cleaned up after both kids and DH, i never did get sick. Thats when i knew this stuff was awesome.

The next year we were around viruses a few times and i would start my family on them right Away...I'm thinking maybe 2 3X's  the first day. Then the next day maybe 1 3X's a day. We never caught the virus even though everyone around us did. This stuff rocks!! :D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:26 AM »
Because of the cost, we can't afford to take them every day for maintenance. I'm sure some ppl do that though. If we have been around someone who has a virus or if one of us get sick, i will start my family on the virus stop. At Thanksgiving one year we had family that came and brought a stomach virus with them. I didn't have any virus stop at the time and because of it being thanksgiving day I couldn't get any. The next day my dd was sick with the virus and then my other dd got sick. I was searching in the cabinet for something and found the virus stop bottle had about 4 pills left. I was excited and thought i would test it out and see if it really worked. So, i started taking them and even though i cleaned up after both kids and DH, i never did get sick. Thats when i knew this stuff was awesome.

The next year we were around viruses a few times and i would start my family on them right Away...I'm thinking maybe 2 3X's  the first day. Then the next day maybe 1 3X's a day. We never caught the virus even though everyone around us did. This stuff rocks!! :D

cool!  maybe i should have ordered 2 bottles!   ;D  thanks for the info.

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2007, 02:44:29 AM »
My 5 yro DD started vomiting last night and  went all night and this morning vomiting -even a sip of water comes right back up.I have been giving her TTU--how often can I give this to her? Any other tips?
My 3 yro DS had it a week ago but now He has had diarrhea for a week and complains of his tummy hurting ALL the time and He even walks funny (real stiff and careful, like He's afraid of making it worse) He has a good appetite though.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

cecac

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2007, 05:24:28 AM »
I've had some success making a peppermint and catnip tea and then watering it down quite a bit. If I sweeten it, I would go ahead and use a little sugar.  Honey might cause too much of a reaction.  I think last time I didn't sweeten at all for that first 24 hours.   Then, I try and get the child to take 1-2 sips every 15 minutes or so during the really violent throwing up time.  My children seem to be able to keep this down long enough that I don't worry about dehydration.  Although, they do keep throwing up, just not right after they have drunk the tea.

As to the little one with diarrhea, perhaps sticking to a very bland diet and keeping on with the TTU.  While I don't use TTU, I am thinking you may want to be careful not to overdose on it or on a probiotic because, IMO, it can keep diarrhea going.  I'm thinking I'd just try to give a standard dose but keep it consistent from day to day.

Your son may be walking carefully because his intestinal area is sore.  I had severe diarrhea last week, and I was very uncomfortable for a few days.

I am sorry if I'm giving out incorrect information on the TTU.  Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong there.  I just have observed the diarrhea with too much probiotics before.

HTH, and I pray healing for your children,
Cara

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
Ok my 2 kids are throwing up non-stop, cant keep water or tea down at all. Just throwing up every 10-20 minutes or so with some dry heaves. What can I do besides an enema? I have high quality probiotic Florajen, I gave on to my 5 year old and he threw that up too. I made tea and tried a few spoonfuls every 5 minutes and they threw that up too.  Anybody have any ideas? Its pretty hard to give them any herbs or remedies by mouth if they just throw it up immedietly!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
Anybody have any ideas? Its pretty hard to give them any herbs or remedies by mouth if they just throw it up immedietly!!

Sorry your kids are so ill!  Maybe try some Goot rubbed all over them, or do a garlic poultice on their feet. 

cecac

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2007, 01:50:20 PM »
You might try to keep going with the 1-2 sips, but perhaps at 15 minute intervals.  That is what a nurse told me once, and it has worked fairly well. Whether they throw it up or not, I think it may help with dehydration.  If you have catnip/peppermint, that has been a good combo for my kids.  They actually kept it down a little longer than anything else during the bad hours of a flu.  Also will help with keeping a fever down.

HTH,
Cara

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »
Thanks!! 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Ok my 2 kids are throwing up non-stop, cant keep water or tea down at all. Just throwing up every 10-20 minutes or so with some dry heaves. What can I do besides an enema? I have high quality probiotic Florajen, I gave on to my 5 year old and he threw that up too. I made tea and tried a few spoonfuls every 5 minutes and they threw that up too.  Anybody have any ideas? Its pretty hard to give them any herbs or remedies by mouth if they just throw it up immedietly!!

i read on here the other day that grapefruit seed extract works for vomiting.  i haven't tried it yet, but thought it might help.  i'm sorry, i can't find the link for ya, hope it helps! 

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2007, 01:49:08 AM »
I have to say when my son was that sick last year I rubbed an essential oil blend my inlaws had onto his stomach area. He stopped vomitting and slept.  I had some success by rubbing lavendar oil and peppermint oil on my dd stomach a month ago....you have to remember to use a carrier oil with that.  Nicer than an enema and nothing for them to swallow that way.   I have also been told by a pharmacist that when the vomitting is done and they are starting to recover give them unbuttered popcorn first...easier to digest than crackers.  Yogurt is good as well. 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:13 AM »
The vomiting was so bad, I feel that even GSE would not have stayed down, once it got started for most of us. But the worst was over in 6-8 hours, MIne didnt last long at all and I only threw up once.  The essential oils is something to look into. Something else to look into is homeopathic sublingual tablets to stop vomiting, the ones you put under the tounge. ALso, I tried Coke for the kids, and they never threw it up, like a tsp or two every 15 minutes. Hmmm I might have to keep more coke around for emergencies.

I have used the equivalent of Tummy tuneup for vomiting in the past, and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work. Putting it on the tounge is a good idea, but its hard to get my kids to cooperate with me sometimes!

Offline MariC

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
Hi
I am new here and most of my family just came down with the yuckiest stomach flu.  I have been reading this thread and have wondered if anyone is still having good results with the virus stop?  I can not seem to find any information on line.  Can someone anyone provide me with a web address that I might use?  I called my local health food store and they have never heard of it.  Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Colleen