Author Topic: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]  (Read 117213 times)

Offline Sonja

• Adept
Help!  My daughter brought home a stomach flu bug after being away for the weekend.  What can I do to protect the rest of us (three other children) from getting it?  A friend has given me some Immune Booster tincture and I have some yogurt (Nancy's) with Acidophilus and Bifidus in it, but how much should I take?  Or is there something even better?  It seems to be a pretty short-lived bug....not even 24 hours based on the other family that my daughter got it from.  I dread these bugs.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »
Help!  My daughter brought home a stomach flu bug after being away for the weekend.  What can I do to protect the rest of us (three other children) from getting it?  A friend has given me some Immune Booster tincture and I have some yogurt (Nancy's) with Acidophilus and Bifidus in it, but how much should I take?  Or is there something even better?  It seems to be a pretty short-lived bug....not even 24 hours based on the other family that my daughter got it from.  I dread these bugs.

I would recommend ginger.  It's a good immune booster and it helps naseau (just in case they get mild symptoms).  You can drink it in tea, or as another member has suggested, you can pour your strong tea infusion into a hot bath and let it absorb through the lungs and skin.  I tried this for my babies who were catching a cold.  Worked like a charm.  Check this link for details.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »
I just found the most amazing product, it is called morning sickness balm from www.mountainmeadowherbs.com it is great for pregnancy or anybody, i am taking it to help with feeling so nausous when i drive, it reallly helps  and would be great for building the immune system

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »
i think it was Beeyoutiful who said to take extra tummy tune up to ward it off.  she just wasn't sure when they were actually over it so she could stop giving it!  i'm gonna try it the next time somebody around here starts looking green   :o
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 06:14:31 PM »
i'm gonna try it the next time somebody around here starts looking green
:-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:02:43 PM »
 I'm sure I didn't ask my question right but I couldn't think of a different way to word it. We have the stomach flu going around our house...I thought it was over and done with, but now another has come down with it. The thing is my daughter who first had it was drinking out of my water bottle the night before she got sick. That was a week and a day ago. She was over it pretty quick(in about 24hrs) but wouldn't I have come down with it too? I thought since she was sick the next day surely she was contagious the night before...I know nothing about this sort of stuff...
Can anyone 'enlighten' me here?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:17:18 PM »
i heard that a person can be contagious (even if they have no symptoms) for up to 2 weeks after having it or being exposed.  you may have been exposed and your body is fighting it off.  last year right after christmas my whole family got it, and i was the only one who didn't.  my immune system was way up then.  there have been other times when we passed it all the way around the family and my hubby and i were the sickest of all.  the reason we got it was because we went to a homeschool family gym night and played in a large gymnasium with a bunch of families.  one family who has a lot of kids, had some that had been sick, but were over it (they were there) and some still sick (kept at home).  we and several other families came down with it a week later.  one family that got it, had a couple days in between bouts of it, and their 2 yo. had it 3 times!  i think it's really all about the state of your immune system.  hope it's over quick for your family.   :P 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 07:28:21 PM »
Just found out that 'this' -whatever it is, is going around in our church...so I don't think it could be a food born illness...or could it?

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 06:50:05 AM »
Well I looked up stomach flu, stomach viruses, and gastroenteritis. I think from what I read this may be the Norovirus-I think that's what it was called. And with this particular virus you are contagious the moment you feel ill until 3 days after you've recovered.
Makes me want to reconsider staying for the fellowship meal at church...since this is how I think it was passed around to all of us. Most of our church has had it these past two weeks. :(

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:35:43 AM »
I don't totally accept the thinking behind illness that says it is caused by being exposed to germs. Not everyone exposed to a germ gets ill. Why? Because becoming ill is much more complex than just running across an opportunistic germ. We are all exposed to numerous "bad germs" daily without suffering ill effects.

When our immune systems are vulnerable AND we are exposed to a virus THAT's when we get ill. In other words, the human body was created with a defense system that -- when supported -- is able to fend off attack.

The thinking behind the no immunization for children or at least selective and slow immunizations movement is that we are bombarding little immune systems with far too many serums than their bodies were designed to handle at one time. In nature, it would be rare to be exposed to measles mumps and rubella at one single moment.

This also explains why many women succumb to illness just before their period. Our immune systems have an ebb and flow that mirrors our general health. Someone just getting over a cold, not eating or sleeping well will have lower immunity than someone enjoying vibrant energy and stamina.

The best way I can think to describe it is to picture the processes inside your body as a sorting system. Somewhere in all of that is a garbage bucket where toxins (things you take into your system that aren't food) are placed. When the bucket gets full, it automatically dumps and clears from your system. You will experience this toxin dump in a lot of ways: mucus discharge, headaches, skin eruptions, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, etc. This is your body trying to rid itself of toxins that have overloaded the system.

If your body is regularly cleared of toxins that you can control (or not exposed to them in the first place), it has a better chance of dealing with the toxins you cannot control more efficiently. This becomes especially important when you are thinking about what to feed or expose someone to that has physical challenges.

So, what would I do if someone in my household had something that was contagious? I would realize that everyone's immune system was working overtime to try and fend the offending bug off. Everyone would get foods and supplements that would support their immune systems while they are working so hard. Washing hands would become a frequent pasttime and we would all rediscover the joys of disposable cups (throw away after each use) and dishes. Also, whoever has to clean up someone else's "toxic dump" would be especially careful about washing hands afterwards. We would review why we cover our mouths when we sneeze or cough. And, everyone gets to enjoy a good skin brushing before their daily bathing (to support the lymphatic system).

Which soap? -- NOT ANTIBACTERIAL -- This just wipes the slate clear of both the good and bad guys and leaves the area clear of any competition. Picture a plot of ground cleared of all plants. The weeds are the first ones to show up again. It's the same with bacteria -- the bad ones will thrive without any competition. A fingernail brush is used to be sure hands are thoroughly scrubbed using regular soap.

That's the method we've used. It seems to keep illness at a minimum. Of course, my DH has the constitution of an indestructible team of mules. It is a real rarity that anything bothers him. I suspect it is because he wasn't exposed to as many immunizations as a child.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 08:28:28 AM »
Very interesting SC. I agree, I can see that in my kids. There is one who always gets hit harder than anyone else. And I have one who though 'scrawny' seems to have the best immune system. He's sick now though he hasn't thrown up and only has a headache and 'gas bubbles' as he says. And a slight fever. The other two couldn't keep anything down and had a high fever.
I'm wondering how my immune system is right now!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 03:10:54 AM »
I too have heard that a 24 hour flu is food related. I hears this from Dr. Richard Schultze.

SC you wrote a very informative piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Thanks!
 I do the same things when a sickness is going around. I try to make easy to digest foods too so our bodies can put thier energy toward defence. I have us all drinking lots of water too!! REALLY important! Having good additudes is healthful too especially when eating/chewing.

Speaking of chewing I just read in the Maker's Diet ...chewing well (25-50 times each bite) produces more enzymes that were made to kill toxins on the food before it even reaches your stomach. I have heard this before too in my research on chewing food....BTW did you know a female mosquito has 47 teeth? I read it in many online articles during this research.

Isn't roto- virus what a toddler gets when it plays in the toilet?

4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 08:42:20 AM »
Oliveoil,

You need Tummy Tune-up.  I have a post in the recommendations.  It is called Tummy Tune-up testimonial.  Read it.  I am also an RN.  There is a BIG difference between a stomach virus and the flu.  The flu "influenza" lasts for many days.  You feel as if your body will break into at times.  Your muscles ache, you will run a high fever, etc.  You normally won't vomit unless it is from the fever.  A stomach virus is contaious and so is the flu.. I don't know anything about the stomach virus being food born though.  There is food born illness though.  If you get food poisoning you will know it.  I have had the stomach virus so many times it makes the mind spin to think on it.  I have had food poisoning just once though.  I really personnally don't think that a stomach virus is food born.  Hope the TT testimonial helps.
Shawna :-*

Offline MOmom

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »

Sorry it took so long to respond.  I am packing for a three day vacation.  Anyways, I can't remember exactly where I found the info on the 24 hour sickness.  It was either Prescription for Nutritional Healing or Poisons in Your Food.  I think it was the latter.  My sister is a nurse and she always tells me of these "new" viruses that are getting funny names.  Only because the viruses are just mutating because of excess antibiotic use.  So, hearing a new virus name always cracks me up.  Anyone hear of the roto-virus?   :)

My understanding and belief is that NOTHING mutates.  Only the "weaker" bacteria,virus,bug,etc. are killed by a specific medication taken.  The stronger "bug" was not killed by that medication.  The "bug" didn't mutate it just wasn't killed by the specific med taken.  This cycle of specific med taken--"weakest bug" killed the "strongest bug" still lives-- is played over and over again with each different drug until all "bugs" are either killed OR there is no more known drugs to be taken.  The "bugs" are not mutating and out-smarting the drugs--it's just that all known meds were not able to kill the last or strongest "bug". 

Kinda' like which "bug" has the strongest immune system to fight off the medication taken.

Again, just my understanding and belief that God did not create a single item to mutate maybe adapt but not mutate.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »
My DIL is about 3 months pregnant, and has a nasty stomach bug.  They asked for advice, being worried about the baby.  The only thing I feel is a concern is the chance of becoming dehydrated.  Is there anything else they should be thinking about?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 05:18:18 AM »
My DIL is about 3 months pregnant, and has a nasty stomach bug.  They asked for advice, being worried about the baby.  The only thing I feel is a concern is the chance of becoming dehydrated.  Is there anything else they should be thinking about?
Tummy Tuneup could provide her some relief...or some ginger tea (or bath) might help. 

I've never heard of the stomach flu being risky for the baby.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 06:54:48 AM »
With my last pregnancy, my 3rd, I got the stomach flu 3 times!!!  It was awful.  I just stayed as hydrated as I could and dealt with it.  Luckily each time it was only 24 hrs and mostly through the night.  My baby was always fine and everything was okay.  I agree with HB though.  I havn't yet tried Tummy TU but I use some really good probiotics which have helped me a lot since them.  I didn't know about them during my last pregnancy.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »
OMIGOODNESS!! this is my third (i'm six months) and i've already had it 3 times also!! not fun....really didn't do much for it except sleep and try to...achem...purge it out of system. in my 1st trimester i wanted nothing to do with natural remedies so sucked down ginger ale and chicken broth.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »

I had the stomach flu with my last.  He was already very active, it was during the second trimester.  So, having him wiggling around didn't help me feel any better.  Anyway, after one of my bathroom breaks, I think I may have scared him, as he stopped his night time soccer practice and just kinda kept quiet for a while.  He was still moving, but just not as rough as he had been.  He's healthy at almost 3 years, so I wouldn't worry to much.

I hope the pregnant mama feels better soon.  The stomach flu is bad enough, being pregnant at the same time is just not fun.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 08:06:11 AM »

Yeah the only real risk is being dehydrated...with any flu or fever really. it can actually send you into preterm labor. oh man and a few time i felt like i was gonna hurl the baby out too!! WOOOWEEEE!!!

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 12:37:29 PM »
Hope this is okay to start a thread for flu...meaning throw-up/diarrhea type of flu.  I have 3 of 4 sick today, and my littlest had it a few days ago. I would love to have info on what people do for flu.  Also, specific things for getting stomach back to normal. I imagine the tummy tune-up...anything else?

I read through some posts that had good info, but could not find one dedicated to this topic...?

Here is some links that were helpful for me today.

http://www.fluhelp.org/#natural_flu_remedies (  they oringate from this site)

Hydrogen Peroxide
http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/hydrogen-peroxide-in-ears.htm

12 Natural Treatments
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/12-natural-treatments-for-the-flu

I have also done the peppermint tea for soothing and some cammomile.  I just thought of something...has anyone ever made popcicles out of tea?  Hmmm.....   Popcicles can be soothing.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »

here's one i just posted a bit ago:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1532.msg74570.html#msg74570

TTU is the BOMB!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:38:49 AM by 4myhoonie »

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »
I read that one and sure wish I had TTT in my cupboard now and 12 hours ago!  I will be ordering some very soon. 

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 06:56:41 AM »
bump

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 01:47:46 PM »
Great link on diarrhea info and remedies.

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_diar.htm

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
apple sauce with carob poder mixed into it is amazing at stopping diarrhea.

BRAT Diet for Diarrhea:  Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »
1 Tbsp applesauce w/ 1/2 tsp carob powder and 1/2 tsp cinnamon is good for diarrhea.

We use Activated Charcoal for vomiting and diarrhea.  1-2 capsules after each visit to the bathroom.  (it doesn't usually take more than 1-2 capsules)

I take ginger for nausea, but the rest of my family hates it.  Although, they will take ginger baths for aches and pains.

My midwife recommends taking charcoal at the first sign of any illness along with drinking a cup of rosehips tea (which my kids love to sip while taking a hot bath w/ ginger or lavender, or some other EO), wrapping up in a warm blanket and sleeping.  This really does work!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »
Smart midwife!!!   ;)    We always use charcoal at the first sign of intestinal discomfort and that usually takes care of it.   Along with that contrast showers and bed help if you can do that.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »
I have seen refrences to this TTT I am quessing it is a tea.  Do you make it or buy it?  Where would I get it.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
I have seen refrences to this TTT I am quessing it is a tea.  Do you make it or buy it?  Where would I get it.

i think what you mean is TTU.  it's tummy tune up, we get it from beeyoutiful.com or morethanalive.com  it's a great probiotic and their original formula will stop vomiting.  i have had it work 4 times now and if you do it after they vomit the first time it works great and usually only takes one dose.  i just open the capsule and dump it on their tongue and they drink a sip of water to wash it down.  here's link for ya:
http://www.morethanalive.com/6