Author Topic: What Weight Loss Method/Program/Routine Works for You?  (Read 25205 times)

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
Re: What Weight Loss Method/Program/Routine Works for You?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 07:02:42 AM »
This is sort of an informal exercise that I hope to keep up with daily.  (I'm going to try t-tapps in another week...I just miscarried so I need to wait a little longer)  We had the kid's bible songs on today and I danced with them for about 5 minutes.  It's amazing the moves you can do to 'Deep & Wide' and 'I'm in the Lord's Army'.   ;)  I just tried to be sure that I kept my legs moving in a high march.
I'd like to do this for 10 minutes 3x a day along with the t-tapps.  The boys lose interest in it after a few minutes.  I just keep a watch out the front window for cars going by......  :-[

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »
That is a great idea!!!  I do that sometimes but three times a day would be good.  It is fun and not so much like exercise  ;D
Stacy

Offline CarolO

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »
Hi :) I am curently on Weight Watchers. I have about 110 lbs to loose. The problem I have with WWW is that with the points system, I tend to eat junk. I feel sluggish and wiped out. I have lost 17 lbs since CHristmas, but have stalled out. I have been reading Eat Fat Loose Fat, and it makes sense. I have Nourishing Traditions and from what I can tell this is a good way to eat for life.  HAs anyone lost a significant amount of weight? What worked, didnt work for you?

Grace and Peace,
Carol

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks going mostly raw.  I don't think it is an ideal way of eating for a long period of time but I really felt very good and I felt like my body really cleaned itself out during that time.  I was full of energy and the weight dropped off so quickly.  I came away from it after about a month and didn't start gaining the weight back until I became pregnant.  I think when I am not longer pregnant I will try to do this again occasionally for a week or 2 at a time - just to clean things up.  The focus of the raw diet is on fruits/veggies, nuts and sprouted things.  There are lots of recipe books out there, my favorite is Alissa Cohens book.  Serene Allison also has a good one. 
I am really enjoying the Nourishing Traditions book but I have no idea if I would loose weight on that sort of a diet or not.  I just doubt that most people who eat like that are skinny but rather I would imagine they are at a healthy weight that is appropriate for their body, which is not what the world would like us to believe.  I have to always remind myself that it would be better to be healthy than super skinny.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »
I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks going mostly raw.  I don't think it is an ideal way of eating for a long period of time but I really felt very good and I felt like my body really cleaned itself out during that time.  I was full of energy and the weight dropped off so quickly.  I came away from it after about a month and didn't start gaining the weight back until I became pregnant.  I think when I am not longer pregnant I will try to do this again occasionally for a week or 2 at a time - just to clean things up.  The focus of the raw diet is on fruits/veggies, nuts and sprouted things.  There are lots of recipe books out there, my favorite is Alissa Cohens book.  Serene Allison also has a good one. 
I am really enjoying the Nourishing Traditions book but I have no idea if I would loose weight on that sort of a diet or not.  I just doubt that most people who eat like that are skinny but rather I would imagine they are at a healthy weight that is appropriate for their body, which is not what the world would like us to believe.  I have to always remind myself that it would be better to be healthy than super skinny.

i have been intrigued by the raw diet but it seems like it would be so far off of what I have grown up with and what we are doing now that I would never keep it up. I am even scared to try it! I hate to waste money and time. Was it easy to follow? Was it easy to feed your family that way? Did your youngest and your hubby like it? Or did you have to make separate things for yourself?
20 pounds in 2 weeks! :o  Thats really cool! 

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »

i have been intrigued by the raw diet but it seems like it would be so far off of what I have grown up with and what we are doing now that I would never keep it up. I am even scared to try it! I hate to waste money and time. Was it easy to follow? Was it easy to feed your family that way? Did your youngest and your hubby like it? Or did you have to make separate things for yourself?
20 pounds in 2 weeks! :o  Thats really cool! 

You can do it to any degree you want.  To go all out on it you really need a lot of gadgets.  you need a dehydrator, sprouting gadgets, a Vita Mix, a spiral slicer, a juicer, and a food processor.  That can get spendy quickly.  Then you have to learn a whole different way of food preparation.  You use the dehydrator like an oven.  Everything has to stay under 118 degrees (or around there) or it's not considered live.  Your taste buds also have to adjust.  Some things my family loved other we thought were gross.  If you get heavily in to it, it's a big adjustment.  But you really don't have to do all that.  If you have a vita mix or just a good strong blender you can make wonderful, filling smoothies that you can have for breakfast and lunch.  I wouldn't want to do that forever but it was great for a couple weeks.  My other favorite thing is "fudge".  This sounds gross but if you mix equal parts walnuts and raisins in the food processor with a little almond butter it tastes like fudgy brownies.  the funny thing is, I don't like walnuts or raisins!  You know how Nourishing Traditions is about good fats?  Well, so is raw food really, coconut oil and nuts.  It felt good to be able to eat as much as I wanted of those good things and just loose weight.  then if we went out, I felt good about having something not so healthy, it felt like a treat, rather than a guilt trip!
Basically I ate raw food up until dinner then I focused our dinners on being mostly raw and small portions of meat or other cooked items.  I don't think my family felt like they were missing anything.  It was fun. 
My warning is that people who believe in it REALLY believe you have to be 100% raw.  anything less is harming your body.  The Bible talks favorably about many types of food that are not raw.  I think we need a great variety but a little raw food fast is probably a pretty good thing for your body on occasion, in my opinion.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 06:23:09 AM »
I am looking for a way to shed some of my "baby fat" fast. I am 1 month ppd and am tired of wearing my maternity clothes.  All my pre preg. clothes are very small - ranging from size 4-8.  And I am in a 12 right now.

After reading through all the posts here I cant find any diet that helped someone shed pounds fast except eating raw.  So that is what I am going to  try and I will let you know how it works.

My plan will be to  eat only fruits, vegies,  protein foods (some nuts,seeds, and a little chicken, beef, etc.)  No starches.

But if any of you have a detox diet that is mild enough to do while nursing and helps you shed about 10 pounds fast let me know!
thx,
Jessica
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 08:34:11 AM »
THere was a time when I was not only NOT loosing my baby weight but was acutally began gaining! I realized I must be eating too much food. ::)  I found my portions, especially without some kind of exercise, could be much smaller. I began to gradually loose weight AND maintain my milk supply.  My baby is six months and I am almost where I want to be sizewise.  Hopefully next pregnancy I wont gain so much!

I follow these nutritional guidlines for what I eat.  Basically, I eat GOOD foods.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/dietformothers.html

and

http://www.fourfoldhealing.com/Diet_and_Nutrition.htm

I do better not eating so much fat and by having wholegrains IN my diet. Although, I DO eat fat!  Lots of butter on veggies, toast, in and on waffles!  Eating equal portions each meal of meat/broth/dairy, grains/legumes/seeds/nuts, and vegetables/fruits works well for me.  I have also learned to tell when my body is beginning to feel full and stop eating.  Also, I do better not snacking, but letting myself feel a litltle hunger before the next meal.  Exercise!  I feel so good and loose weight so quickly when I exercise!  It is so important for health and becoming more of a prioritly for me.  I can't wait till summer, so I can get out and walk!  My son is 6 months and nursing so of course I am burning calories that way too.  Speaking of...Gotta go nurse!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:47:56 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/divad/

There is NO WAY I could figure this out.  I'll stick to walking!
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
I use www.sparkpeople.com and just stick to normal portion sizes and getting enough water in mainly.  I have a wt. loss goal that I added in and it calculated when I could reach my goal by and what calorie range to stick within.  Pretty easy.

Awesome experience!  Tons of resources, lots of teams so you can find one to join that fits you, lots of motivation, trackers and tools, articles, healthy recipes etc...  Best of all it's FREE....kind of like weight watchers, but without the meetings in person, PLUS you can do any diet plan on it, not just one or two.  I really cannot say enough about it and have lost 8 lbs. in the last 3 weeks.  You can track your progress and that is motivating, too. 

Now though, I'm doing a raw food diet for 30 days starting tomorrow (no meat, dairy, eggs at all and nothing cooked, so breads are out, too.....) so I can do Richard Schulze's Incurables program.  Looks like a MS diagnosis is coming soon....so I am going to kick its behind out of the water before it gets any further!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:50:00 PM by jammy »
Jenn :D

Offline autumnjoy

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »
I have been on a mission to lose 15 lbs since I had my last baby. I need some advice. I only want to do whats best and preferably quickest ;D. so much advice out there, low fat, high fat, all natural, low carb, no sugar ect. I recently tried the hallelujah diet for 2 1/2 weeks and didn't lose a pound! I probably should have given it more time, but I became discouraged. So I need the low down. What has really worked? and what is best? I even considered doing all raw. Would that be wise? Any and all success stories and advice appreciated. BTW- I am pretty healthy with no major issues ( that I know of) and am 27 and not pregnant or nursing. Thanks in advance!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 03:55:18 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one that has this issue, but it seems like the healthier I eat, the more I weigh!  I'm also trying to lose 15 pounds, and have finally just decided to join weight watchers.  I spent a week doing all raw, as a type of cleanse, and it works by making you not feel hungry.  Maybe it's all that fiber, but I just couldn't stomach food after about two days of it.  We do a lot of raw anyway, since my son is on a special diet, so we eat a lot of weird food. 

Here's what happens to me with any health food, eating some healthy things, but skipping others (like raw, high protein, low fat , etc.) diet:  I follow it to the letter for two weeks.  I lose 5 pounds, and feel great.  I go off it on the second or third weekend.  I'm suddenly starving, and eat like a pig for another two weeks, until the five pounds are back. 

The only time in my life that I lost more than five pounds was after baby number 2.  I needed to lose 17 pounds then.  I followed weight watchers to the letter, and for some reason didn't feel the need to binge so much (maybe because I was eating the food I was used to, and didn't change my body chemistry).  After about 8-10 weeks (I'm not sure exactly) I had lost it all.  It stayed off until baby number 4.  After baby three, I weighed a pound less than when I got pg!!  After number 4, I had only gained 23 pounds, but I only lost 10 of them.  Go figure.  So, I have managed in the last almost two years to not lose the 10 pounds, but gain another seven doing weird healthy diets, like the raw food, and then being ravenous. 

Sorry, I'm rambling.  I just joined weight watchers this week, along with my mother, and we're just going to do it again.  It doesn't take that long, really, and although a little hungry, it WORKS!  It also helps to have that nice lady watching you step on a scale every week.  For some reason, that's REALLY motivating.  Also, when I pay for it, I tend to work harder, too. 

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide.  It's a hard, never ending fight...

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 04:13:24 PM »
I have THE only answer.  The one any fitness person will tell you, any doctor worth their beans, any nutritionist, any naturopath.  It is THE only one with lifetime, lasting results.  It is the smartest, most sensible way.  It's also the hardest to start, but the easiest to learn and the ONLY one you can stick with for life!
CALORIES IN - CALORIES OUT
Determine your ideal weight.  Take that number x 10.  That is the total number of calories you should eat each day to lose 1-2 pounds per week and get to your ideal weight.
I am 5'7" and want to weigh 140.  I have about 10 pounds of baby to go to get back to it.  I am 40 years old.  I weighed 140 on hs graduation.  I weighed it for the FIRST time again a year ago spring, after an all time high of 220.  It took years between many pregnancies to finally get it off for good.
I've tried ALL diets.
In order to keep the weight off, you need to learn to eat ALL foods, in moderation.  You need to eat at others' homes, restaurants, and at your home with little snacking kids.  You need to be grateful for what others serve you and never have to say "I can't eat that, it's not on my diet."  By monitoring your caloric intake, you can make your choices all day long and end up feeling good at bedtime.
What happens is, however, you will have to choose - do I want to eat 6 cookies, or a balanced dinner?  Pretty easy choice.
Drink tons of water, enjoy your coffee, have a treat here and there.  But count everything you put in your mouth!  Snacks, bites, finishing kids lunches (do we do this???), tastes, cream in your coffee, etc.  They all go toward the daily total.  WRITE IT DOWN.  Get a good calorie list off the internet.  Read labels.  Soon you'll know it in your head.
This is THE only one that will stick.  You'll be eating real food in the real world, and never have to "come off" your diet and then be faced with choices.  You'll find yourself eating healthier and feeling lighter.  Health food can make you fat, just like anything else, because it has calories!  Whole wheat bread is good for you, but a regular slice has 100 calories.  Beans are good for you, but a cup of cooked beans has 200 calories.  Salads are great, but oil has 100 calories per tablesppon.  Cheese is SUPER high in calories, but excellent for you.
I realize I am going on and on, but I have so much to share!!!!  And I have results!  It does work.  It offends no one!  You can feed your family and eat with them!  No foods are forbidden.  I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as a diet says "you can't eat *****" I want nothing but that all day long.  Give me my carbs!
Right now, I am nursing a baby and eating about 1500 cals a day.  I am losing 1-2 pounds per week.  I was 200 at delivery, after being 145 when first preg.  I am now 10 pounds from my goal.  You do the math!  It works for me, and it is actually easy. 
I have found some good treats, good tricks.  Not all are healthy, but you have to find what works for you and makes you feel full and happy.  Only Jesus can make you those things, but sometimes a little food is nice!  Find a drink that fills you up for no cals.  Find a bar that has 100-150 cals for an afternoon pick up.  I have a protein shake each morning for 200 cals.  Really gets me going.  It's Biochem, from the HFS.  I add a banana to it.  EAT LOTS OF PROTEIN - filling, lasting, lean, happy!
Here's the caveat - if you want to eat more, you need to move your body!  Burns some cals, eat some cals.  Simple simon!
I hope this is helpful.  I type as fast as I talk.  Sorry so lenghty.  It's a passion of mine.  To be a size 8 at age 40 after 22 years of being overweight (and obese some) is a real victory. 
Don't forget to pray - God wants you to be your best!
xo - jillymom

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »
Jillymom,
I agree with you 100%.  It is truly about the calories. 
I would like to add that some people do better with raw, some with more protein--it's mainly what your system best metabolizes and how you feel when eating it (ie sluggish versus more energetic).
Eating and what we feed our families is not just a one time deal, but a lifetime of choices.  When I decided (many moons ago) to start eating a healthier diet we made a few small changes that have stayed with  us. 
As I have learned more, I have changed further a little at a time.  I have ended up with a 20 year evolution that has gone thru many stages, and sometimes been a little out there, but has led me and my family to a good place.
It is so easy to get wrapped up in fads or to be compulsive, but these ideas are generally short term and last only until the next big thing hits.
Do your research and find a lifestyle of nutrition that suits what you and your family want and need.  When anyone throws a new diet at you, hold it to a high standard and really study the science of it as far as health goes--don't be led by what just anyone tells you. 
I have just restarted the Zone diet that I have been on for about the last 10 years.  I feel healthy and energized on this and continue it even when there is no need for weight loss.  I had gone off of it for the last 2 years as it was a very stressful time, and I currently need to lose 10 pounds. 
On this I will lose 1-2 pounds a week with my lean muscle mass not being effected.  I can continue eating healthy foods and feed my family the same things that I am eating.  For me the Zone helps give me the limits that I also need to lose weight.  I do typically eat very healthy foods, but I tend to overeat from stress and that has led me to where I am now.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 02:15:15 AM »
I was just at my Dr. and we talked about this very thing. (I need to loose some body fat)  He said diets of any kind will never work unless you stay on them all your life.  What does work is a 80/20 principle.  80 percent of your food intake should be NONPROCESSED food (whole foods) with 20 percent being treats.  Pasta is a treat, pizza is a treat as well as the obvious chocolate and ice cream.  If you can't harvest it, kill it, pick it it's processed.  Bacon and ham are processed, pork roast isn't.  You get what I mean.  He said after using this principle for awhile and loosing body fat (not just weight) if you want, or need to loose some more, then diet (whatever diet you choose) for a week and stop.  Go back to the 80/20 for awhile and then try another week of dieting if you need to.  Never develop a patturn as your body will figure it out and go into survival mode and slow down your metabolism.  It comes down to making healthy choices MOST of the time and enjoying treats in moderation.  I have gone back and forth with my weight and know that this is true.  Exercise is also a key factor. 3-5 times a week working up a good sweat will help.  Weight bearing exercise of some sort is important as you need to keep up the muscle mass.

IMO Weight Watchers works, I did it years ago, but they have some major flaws.  One being the scale.  I discourages exercising that may build muscle as muscle weighs more than fat.  It also encourages EMPTY calories and highly processed food.  My mom was on WW and loosing weight and went to my Dr. and her Cholesterol had gone up!!  It was all the processed food and empty calories.  Don't get me wrong, you could use WW for that "kick start" and to get to a goal.  But it shouldn't be used for long periods of time as it is not healthy. (IMO).

I agree with writing down what you eat, but I must say that it too encourages me to eat empty calories.  I also don't have time to figure out what just the crust of my dd sandwich has for calories.  But writing it down for a week or so, does open the eyes to how much we put in our mouth!!

HTH

Offline Eviesmom

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 05:13:35 AM »
Hi, HealthyBratt don't be lonely.  I need to lose some weight, I was on the right path several months ago and my parents decided to move away so I kind of started eating everything is site all day long.  I was using the Weigh Down Diet and had lost 12 pounds.  I know that too much of one thing is  not a good thing and also eating when the body doesn't need to be fed is bad either. The past several weeks I have wanted to eat all day long, gosh anybody know of some food that would help me with that? 
Thanks,
Heather

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
Yes.  When your brain says "I need something, but I don't know what," then your body just wants to eat.  Here are some things to try:

1.  Vitamin B complex, or whatever you need to keep stress down.

2.  Chromium picolinate.  Some food cravings actually come from a deficiency in chromium.  It's not too expensive.  With a few small tablets a day, you should notice a decrease in your cravings, if this is the problem.

3.  Fish oil / DHA.  Your brain might be craving this.

4.  Acidophilus, or an antifungal agent like grapefruit seed extract.  If there is fungus, and it's hungry, your body will want to feed it.

Hope one of these ideas will help!

Offline pecharka5

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »
i agree with the nice lady weighing you in thing... Something about wanting to please her.. Funny huh, I want o please God, but for some reason wnen though He see;s the scale it does not motivate me like the nice lady.  I am going back to WW as well, it helps me alot.  I do alot of juicing and the lemonaid diet as well.  I am an all or nothing kind of gal, so it helps me when i am trying to lose (like now) to juice fast, I feel clean and energised.  I can do that and WW as well... But raw, anymore info on that?  I have heard of fruit and vegies, but I hear you all mention other items as we,,,  So more on that would be good, thaanks<><

Offline pecharka5

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »
accountability works.... I see some are starting tomorow, we can do it together... We can start a thread and keep each other posted?  I will join up if you want to start one....<><

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2007, 10:07:47 AM »
Ok, I'm repeating myself a bit here, from the Excercise/Pregnancy thread, but I'm on a mission to get some info on which is better during pregnancy: an elliptical trainer, or a treadmill.  I was planning to get a treadmill, but just noticed that an elliptical trainer is a bit cheaper, and takes up less space, so obviously, if that would be just as good, I'd rather that.  I've mostly used a treadmill for excercise in the past.

I'm kind of curious as to whether or not an e.trainer would be harder on the knees/joints, than regular walking on a treadmill.  They seem to flow smoothly, (the ones I've used) but I'm not really sure of the benefits and side effects of either.

Anyone have experience good or bad with both or either of these? Have you read anything regarding either? TIA :)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »

Anyone have experience good or bad with both or either of these? Have you read anything regarding either? TIA :)
Before I became pregnant I always ran on the treadmill; I never could get a good enough workout from an elliptical alone.  With my last pregnancy I was unable to run... I just didn't feel good/right doing it, so I started on the elliptical.  I used the elliptical up until 7-8 months and then quit because my heart rate would go really high.  I would try to keep it around or below 140 beats/minute, and I just couldn't do it on the elliptical past this time point in my pregnancy.  So then I switched to walking on the treadmill.  My heart rate stayed where I wanted it, and it kept me moving up until delivery.  When I started back after pregnancy around 3 weeks postpartum I went to the treadmill and walked as I felt kinda klutzy and it was a more natural movement.
I am not currently pregnant, nor am I planning on becoming pregnant, but I do have both a treadmill and elliptical at home.  I tend to keep the treadmill put away in storage as it is noisy and bulky, and prefer to have the elliptical out and use on a daily basis (in my dreams) as it is smaller, as you mentioned, than a treadmill and makes much less noise.  This way I can have the kids playing while I exercise and have some music on, too, and it isn't so overwhelmingly loud. 

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
I would like to confirm what someone said above about sparkpeople.com.  I went to the site, signed up and am thrilled!  It is a lot like Weight Watchers Online, only free!!!!  Check it out!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
I have lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks. It is a difficult and strenuous program, but it works.
I eat 1,000 calories or less a day.  I work out doing crossfit exercieses(push-ups, sit ups, burpees, squats, etc.) once a day, walk every evening, and lift weights 3x a week.  Now, I give myself one small cheat thing a week.  Like maybe some pasta at a family's house, or a small cookie or piece of birthday cake. 
I also drink 1 tsp ACV with 1/2 tsp honey in a cup of water before or during my meals.
The first week was very very difficult.  I was so starving all the time.  No joke.  But after that it got easier.  Also, I have found that if I stick to a 200 calorie breakfast, and a 400 calorie lunch and dinner, I am full with each meal.  I hope to continue this until I reach my goal, then add more calories into my diet.  Doing this long term would NOT be healthy, by any means.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2009, 06:57:21 AM »
For me, the only thing that has worked as an adult is CAD -- Carbohydrate Addicts Diet!!!  (Do a search and you will find the thread if you haven't seen it yet).

Since June 24, I am down by just shy of 20lbs.  Down 2+ pants sizes, all my usual clothes are too big now.  More energy, no bloated feeling, no hypoglycemia, less irritable, WAY less PMS.   :D 

I feel so much better without all the carbs; I have also been having some medical issues, and I really believe this has helped me feel better. 

Anyway, I never feel hungry or deprived; I don't have to count calories; I get to eat "real" food; I don't have to exercise (though feel good enough to when I "want" to!!); and I get to have any kind of treat or goodie I want to with my dinner! 

Almost too good to be true.  Almost!   ;D
J
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Not to put down what CountyCork said in reply #42 but calories in & out isn't always the answer. If you're eating foods that you are allergic to, it can cause weight gain OR weight loss- depends on the person. DD & I both gain weight with gluten & dairy- oldest DS loses weight with either. You might think you would love to have that problem but for him it's toothpick thin, def underweight, can't gain no matter how much he eats. Allergies can also cause food cravings, binging, bottomless pit, etc all of which can of course cause weight problems as well. As I posted on another thread:

Allergies &/or poor gut absorption can cause cravings & binging that you wouldn't believe. I'm an ex smoker & I crave my allergic foods FAR more than I ever craved a cigarette. I can tell you that when I eat dairy &/or gluten I feel like I can't fill up & just want to keep eating. It's not just being hungry though & it's not a craving- it's MUCH more than that. Hard to describe but it easily leads to food sneaking, (being an adult I don't sneak food- but my kids do) binging, gorging & bottomless pit.

Yeast/fungus can cause weight gain as well or make it hard to lose weight. Yeast/fungus besides craving carbs, also tweaks your hormones to help it grow in your body- it tends to depress iodine & the thyroid, for instance.

I'm convinced that for many people the reason a low carb diet works well for them is b/c it helps suppress & kill yeast/fungus &/or they are avoiding allergic foods- gluten being a biggie that most people don't eat while going low carb. I think that's also what causing the common cravings, etc when people first start a low carb diet- die off &/or allergic withdrawal.

Another thing both yeast/fungus & allergens can cause is water retention- even when you don't realize it. That of course, can cause clothes to fit tight & the numbers on the scale to go up. Here's a different post of mine that talks about that:

It could be yeast/fungus. Carrot juice is an antifungal. It's not a real strong antifungal but it is an antifungal. Yeast/fungus can cause water retention. I have serious problems with yeast & have major problems with water retention. ANYTIME I start taking antifungals (anti yeast) again after not taking them for a while I know I will lose water weight. Time after time I have eaten LOTS of roasted garlic w/dinner (like half a bulb- gives me heartburn for a while but SOOOO.... good) & I spend half the night peeing- even when I don't think I'm retaining water. Here is a thread that explains a lot about it:

Ankle Pain and Swelling: I need help.

Here are some threads to learn more about yeast/fungus:

Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
Natural Antifungals
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

One other thing that isn't commonly known is that if you are chronically dehydrated your body will retain water. As strange as it sounds, drinking more water may result in you losing retained water weight. The MINIMUM amount of water is half your body weight in lbs = oz of water per day. More for physical activity & more if you are out in heat &/or dry, windy conditions. That could really help with weight loss also.

Just thought I'd bring up a few things that might help those of us who struggle with weight even when eating low calorie. (me included)

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »
Yeah what herbalmom said. That's right.

I notice over and over in ppl who low calorie that yes they may lose weight but it seems to always come back once they stop eating diet foods and rabbit only foods. Once they return to normal life it seems like they gain weight again. I know this isn't the case with everyone who low calories but it sure seems that way with a lot of folks.

I also think we tend to eat to much dead animal. There isn't anything wrong with eating creatures but it seems we eat to much of them and that cant be good for our bodies especially our already over worked colons.

Another thing is us having a lack of minerals which really isn't all that uncommon. Such as a lack of chromium can greatly contribute to insulin resistance which leads to various health issues in different ways for ppl. It can lead to diabetes for some  but not everyone and in others it may lead to heart disease, high blood pressure and other stuff and almost always it causes weight gain especially on the abdomen. It can also cause a carbohydrate craving. Once we start eating more carbs we start gaining more abdomen weight which cause us to become more insulin resistant which in turn causes more abdomen weight gain. It is a no win situation.
 A situation I am currently stuck in. I am very insulin resistant but cant eat low carb enough to help lower it or I will have low blood sugars and die/pass out because I have to take insulin shots. If I lower my insulin doses I have too high blood sugars and can die/go into coma. Doomed if I do and doomed it I dont and yall could be like this too if you get diabetes from being over weight and or eating to many carbs.