Author Topic: Clean Drinking Water Overseas  (Read 5105 times)

Offline created2worship

• Learning
Clean Drinking Water Overseas
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
I am getting ready to move overseas to the Philippines for long-term missions work. I am trying to find a solution for clean drinking water while I am there.

I have been to the Philippines for short-term work before, and just bought gallons of bottled water, but I do not want to do that long term (plus, I may be in some areas where I will not have access to bottled water)

I've though about trying a filtering water bottle like this one: http://www.naturesalternatives.com/water/survivor.html But I am not sure that it will remove all the junk.

There are many types of bacteria, virus, and protozoa in the water that my body will not be used to. Americans usually get diherrea from eating any local food or drinking any local water.

Any suggestions? What have those of you who have been international missionaries done about water?

Offline jenibee

• Adept
Re: Clean Drinking Water Overseas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
Since you're going to be there long-term, you'll want a filter that will do large quantities of water at a time - for cooking, excursions, etc.  One little water bottle won't cut it if you start to get dehydrated.  I'd look into the MSR Miox filter: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87855

I lived in West Africa for a year, and I about wore my right arm off using a filter with a pump mechanism...plus it takes forEVer.  With the Miox, you just activate a small amount of water and then pour it into a larger amount (bucket? vat?) and wait the recommended number of hours to kill everything in the water.  If I get to live out of the country again, I'll keep a cistern of water in the corner and use a t-shirt to filter out the large sediment from river water (while pouring it into the cistern) and then Miox it overnight to kill the evil little bugs in the water.

HTH...maybe somebody else here has some experience with this one.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
Boil the water to death. I hate the flavor of boiled water, but it works. Strain through a cloth to remove large particles and boil at least 20 minutes at a full rolling boil.
Pour hot into clean jugs and cap. Keep ahead on your supply and be prepared with tea, lemon and sugar, etc to use when you need to drink it still hot.  ;) Keep boiled water everywhere you ingest something including on your toothbrush, washing your face and ears and when deep cleansing personal areas/mucous membranes.
Take water with you everywhere you go. That water bottle looks pretty good as back up. Help your body adjust by taking lots of probiotics, vit C, etc while you build up immunity to some of the local "microscopic flora and fauna".
How exciting that you get to go longterm. Some of my favorite years were spent overseas. God bless.

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:51:33 AM »
I believe we used the Katadyn Filters (in a 5-gallon bucket set-up: one on top with filiters in it, the other underneath for the clean water) purchased from Lehman's in OH, but I could double-check with my dad if you want me to (we lived in a village in West Africa for 5 years)
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:27:02 AM »
Just be warned that boiling does not eliminate every danger in water - just kills the living ones.  Also, the Berkey filter was designed for missionaries because it is portable and the filters last forever.  It is also inexpensive to maintain and missionaries can get discounts if they need them because the owner is a Christian (I'm not sure what breed.)   ~L

Offline created2worship

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:35:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies, ladies!  :) You have given me some great ideas! boiling my water will probably work OK... But I want to be as discreet as possible with my water-cleaning operations- I won't be living by myself, I'll be living with a filipino family, but I will be the only foreigner- I just want to make sure that I don't spend too much time on my "special" food/water prep.  :P

And yes, the water bottle would just be for back-up! I drink WAY to much water to rely on that as my only source of filtration!

I plan to look into the Berkley filter...

Thanks Again!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 05:42:33 AM »
Just be warned that boiling does not eliminate every danger in water - just kills the living ones.  Also, the Berkey filter was designed for missionaries because it is portable and the filters last forever.  It is also inexpensive to maintain and missionaries can get discounts if they need them because the owner is a Christian (I'm not sure what breed.)   ~L
Good point! You can't eliminate chemicals or heavy metals by boiling only parasites and bacteria.

Offline created2worship

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:31:40 AM »
Ok, I'm back with another question- maybe one of you ladies who has used Berkley filtration products can help me out.... I've decided to get a "big" filtration system so that I always have at least two gallons of water available to me, but I still want to have a filtration bottle "just in case" when I'm out and about... I want to get the berkley sport bottle: http://www.morethanalive.com/Sport-Berkey-Portable-Water-Purifier?id=YUJHgAum

I'm wondering if it will filter out parasites and bacteria well? The description on the website only specifically mentions chemicals and heavy metals.

THanks!

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »
We too are moving overseas to CA.   Our mission uses bottled water mostly.    Others will boil water for a long time like mentioned above.   

As far as telling the Filipino family you are living with, if you have a very kind way of explaining that Americans have sensitive stomachs, but you really LOVE their food, I am quite sure that they will understand.