Author Topic: Plantain: When, Why & How to Use  (Read 40294 times)

arjot

Plantain: When, Why & How to Use
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:40:24 AM »
Hope someone can help. I recently read about making a plantain salve with lard. I can't find it now. I searched this site, looked through magazine.

You bursed the plantain leaves, melted lard over them over low heat till it was green, does this sound right?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:55:33 AM by healthybratt »

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: Plantain: When, Why & How to Use
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:57:03 AM »
Check out this link...I believe that there are some instructions:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2695.0.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:01:02 AM by healthybratt »
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:56:40 AM »
My 2 yo son fell backwards and whacked his head and the back of his ear off the coffee table about a week ago.  I could tell by the thunk, that it was gonna be a bad one and sent hubby to get ice before I even picked him up.  A bump appeared within seconds about the size of a golf ball.  I put the ice pack on and tried to comfort him and then I noticed his ear was cut very badly, bleeding and almost black from the bruising.  So, I left him with hubby with ice and a cool cloth and wandered around my kitchen trying to remember what to do...duh...

I didn't really think chewing on plantain was the way I wanted to go, so I took some dried plantain that I ordered from bulkherbstore and made a very strong tea.  Then, without straining, I threw in some ice cubes to cool it down and took wash clothes dipped in the tea and herb and held them on my son's head for almost an hour, rotating the cloths with fresh tea every 15 minutes or so. 

I was amazed (and so was hubby).  The bleeding had stopped.  The black and purple from the ear had faded to red.  The swelling around the cut had gone almost completely and the bump on his head had reduced to the size of about a nickle (managable). 

Then I put some miracle skin salve on the cut and the scrape on the bump, covered it with a med pad and wrapped his head (too funny) like a head trauma victim to keep the patch in place while he was sleeping.  The next morning, he was very happy with minor tenderness to report and the second day, the tenderness was negligable. 

No stitches and no trip to the ER.  What a relief and what a miracle plantain is.

Just wanted to share a personal success with this stuff - It's great!

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 06:06:08 AM »
I have seen Plantain mentioned before. What are the different uses? Where do you get fresh. If outside, how do I know I got the right thing? Why do you want fresh? Oh, this is so interesting.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:02:39 AM »
I have seen Plantain mentioned before. What are the different uses? Where do you get fresh. If outside, how do I know I got the right thing? Why do you want fresh? Oh, this is so interesting.
Fresh is always best because the effective components are at their strongest.  Here's a link for Recognizing Plantain.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lou65cat

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:26:12 AM »
Hello!

Just wanted to comment regarding Plantain.  My mom (who is 80 years old) told me a long time ago about how her mother used Plantain on her when she was a child.  An ax fell on my mother's toe and caused a deep gash, so my grandmother made a poultice out of plantain and applied to my mother's wound.  My mom said that the gash healed well and left barely a scar! 

After I heard that story countless times, I did the same for myself when I received a deep gash in my finger.  I applied a poultice (fresh as it was summer) and my finger healed nicely.  I cleaned the wound throughly before I applied the poultice and the gash wasn't bad enough for stitches.  I don't know about my mom however.  She was young when it happened and I believe the cut was fairly severe.  At that time, they didn't have the emergency rooms and antibacterial salves like they use today, so it must have been a real wonder plant! 

Plantain is a common plant (mislabeled "weed") that is found in your backyard, driveway, sidewalks, etc...  I think it is a great first aid plant as it is so readily available and so easily harvested.

Lou65cat

Offline barrybunch

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:46:06 PM »
Hello,

I've been reading a strand on skin brushing, and someone mentioned having enlarged lymphnodes.... a Plantain Poultice was remcommended.  My question is: how do you make it? Can you use dried Plantain, if you can find it?  I don't have much luck of finding any outdoors, being that it is Winter in Alaska!  ::)  Also, how long to you leave the poultice on?  Thanks so much....

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »
bump How to make it?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »
In Rebekah's herb lessons on NGJ, she describes a plantain poultice as simply chewing up or crushing the fresh plantain leaves in your hands and holding them over the affected area. 

For dried plantain, perhaps you could try making a tea out of it - Steep the leaves in boiling water for a few minutes, strain out the leaves, and then you have a tea.  You could soak a soft cloth in the water and then apply it to the affected area.  This is probably not nearly as potent as the fresh, but it might work for you in a pinch.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »
In Rebekah's herb lessons on NGJ, she describes a plantain poultice as simply chewing up or crushing the fresh plantain leaves in your hands and holding them over the affected area. 

For dried plantain, perhaps you could try making a tea out of it - Steep the leaves in boiling water for a few minutes, strain out the leaves, and then you have a tea.  You could soak a soft cloth in the water and then apply it to the affected area.  This is probably not nearly as potent as the fresh, but it might work for you in a pinch.
The tea worked for my son.  Read the first post.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »
I have used plantain on bee stings with great results.  I react fairly heavily to stings. Normally a sting on a finger will result in my entire arm swelling up hard and red, difficulty breathing, and several days to heal.  I was amazed to find that plantain applied within ten minutes (it took us that long to find it) stopped the swelling and pain.  The itching was minimal also.  I was not able to find a very healthy specimen and it was late summer.  I think I would have had better results if I had used good fresh plantain. 

I have used it several times for my children and by the next day we frequently can not find the spot where they were stung.

hjm

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 05:14:42 AM »
I mentioned to herbalmom about my plantain tea the other day and she suggested I make ice cubes out of it for future use.  I did, but have not yet had an opportunity to use my new booboo cubes.  Just thought I'd share it with everyone.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 10:32:10 AM »
I mentioned to herbalmom about my plantain tea the other day and she suggested I make ice cubes out of it for future use.  I did, but have not yet had an opportunity to use my new booboo cubes.  Just thought I'd share it with everyone.  ;D

Thanks HB, I forgot to mention it. Any tea that you would apply cold can be made into ice cubes. The one thing I would add is to keep the cubes in a plastic bag or glass jar in the freezer. I made candula (sp?) (marigold- used for bruising in areas you can't apply onion) ice cubes & they got shoved to the back of the freezer in the ice tray. Since we don't use it very often, it sat for a while & when I went to use it, half the cubes had evaporated away. ::) ::) HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline fisherovi5

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 10:45:03 AM »

I've used cooled plantain tea on burns with great results.  My daughter touched a hot pan and I knew it would be bad.  I was doubtful but held a cloth wet with the tea on the area and the burn was totally gone.  No red spot, no blisters, no wailing baby.  I'm sold on it - but my question is....would the tea ice cubes potentially stick to a wound? 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »

I've used cooled plantain tea on burns with great results.  My daughter touched a hot pan and I knew it would be bad.  I was doubtful but held a cloth wet with the tea on the area and the burn was totally gone.  No red spot, no blisters, no wailing baby.  I'm sold on it - but my question is....would the tea ice cubes potentially stick to a wound? 

Wrap in a thin cloth & on a baby or young child keep an eye on it that it's not too cold, just like you would do with reg. ice- the thicker the cloth, the less cold it is. Even if you just put the ice cubes it a pan on the stove (micro isn't good for herbs) & thaw them until you have cold tea it's quicker than making it from scratch. Comfrey works for burns too, just thought that I'd mention it. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:19:31 AM by herbalmom »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 12:21:56 PM »

run it under water first if there's a risk of sticking.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 08:29:42 AM »
I'm making Plantain Salve right now (or trying... :-\)

I'm using Coconut Oil and Plantain. Heating on a double burner (low).  The liquid is not turning green. It's been going about 10 min. The leaves are turning Collard Greenish Brown.

Also, I'm using Fresh Plantain.

Help?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 08:38:37 AM »
I don't have a solution - but I had the exact same thing happen with mine last year.  I considered whizzing the whole thing in a blender but didn't get to it and threw it all out.  I'll be looking in as you find the answer....
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
I made some with the recipe from NGJ last year. It was the same basic thing except used vaseline. It said to cook those leaves until they were crispy. It took a good long while to get them crispy. On low it will really take a while I think. It ended up just being slightly green.

Yes, mine is made with vaseline so I think I will make some more naturally this year, but it did work wonders on insect bites! We had some guests in our home whose daughter went out back and got covered with mosquito bites. Then she came back in and her parents were quite worried as she was allergic to mosquito bites. They asked if I had some benadryl, which I didn't, but I gave them my plantain salve. By the time they left our house the bites were gone!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:22 AM »
http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/fileadmin/template/PDFs/2006-May-June.pdf

Here's the NGJ recipe, page 13. I've seen a vaseline substitute on here using beeswax and olive oil. Are you adding beeswax to yours? Otherwise you will just have a liquid salve when you go to use it this summer. I'd like to know how it turns out because I was trying to decide what to use as a base for mine.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 08:53:23 AM »
This site seem to have some good info on various salves and "how to":

http://www.wildroots.com/salves.htm

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 04:14:49 PM »
Thanks Ladies for the info!

SarahK,
It eventually got a bit green. It took about an hour. Now, I've got army colored coconut oil sittin on my counter. Maybe we'll go play with bugs tomorrow to test the salve.  ;) ;)

Offline murfette

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 02:27:37 AM »
I also made mine with Vaseline last year.  I didn't know what else to make it with.  But I also added a couple of cut up Aloe Vera leaves.  It worked great!

Offline Kristin_19_78

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I looked at pictures of Plantain in NO Greater Joy, and it is all broadleaf plantain. I was wondering if anyone has used buckhorn plantain (They are long, thin leaves, stalks with little white flowers), being that this is the only kind I can find in my yard. My son has a really bad gash on his face, so I need to know this NOW! Thank you!

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 09:37:12 AM »
I used the long skinny leaf kind on my children's poison ivy and it worked just fine.. You may have already tried by now, but I just saw this post.

HTH
Blessings and Prayers for your son..
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 09:40:18 AM »
Does anyone know how to dry plantain and chickweed.. I have a yard FULL of both, TONS of it and would love to preserve it for the 2 months out of the year that it does not grow as well.. because right now there is an abundance, and my husband intends to kill most of it with grass seed and make the yard look like a yard instead of a weed factory..  ;D  However he has agreed to leave a few patches for me in the empty flower beds.. but I would love to dry or somehow preserve some..

Is it still effective once dried? or is there a better way to preserve it like canning tea out of it, or some kind of tincture.. I am still fairly new to all this, have been reading up on these things for years but just now starting to put the knowledge to practical use..  ::)

Thanks in advance
Blessings
Heather in TN
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 09:44:07 AM »
Last year I just picked the plantain, washed it, and then spread it out on a cookie sheet to dry. It would probably dry faster and more evenly on a screen, but the cookie sheet worked fine. I imagine it's best fresh, but I've definitely read of it being used dried - esp. in Comfort for the Burned and Wounded.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
I dried some plantain last year for emergency poultices. Just rinsed the leaves w/ water and laid them out on a bath towel in a semi-dark corner, turned them everyday and when they were totally crisp packaged them in a paper sack. They held their green color very well and still have that herby odor so I would assume that some of the healing properties are still there. I would dip in hot water to rehydrate when needed.
I'd like to make a salve w/ some this year... maybe infusing olive oil w/ several sets of leaves so that it never has to be heated then adding beeswax, etc.
Chickweed .... no idea on the drying part, but I know a salve made the same way as mentioned above is wonderful.
Hey Julia! that book and my spider bite experience is what prompted me to dry some.  ;D