Author Topic: Plantain: When, Why & How to Use  (Read 40331 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Re: Plantain: When, Why & How to Use
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »
Hi, I have some dried plantain from The Bulk Herb Store.  Can you give me some suggestions on how to use the dried.  I suppose that you don't just chew it up.

What all can you use it for?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2007, 08:51:39 AM »
You can use it it for a poultice!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2007, 09:05:55 AM »

What kind of things would you use a plantain poultice for?

How do you make  the dried plantain into a poultice?

P.S Kristen, your pic is so cute!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »
You can make a salve, too.  This would keep quite a while and it would be in a user-ready format for boo-boos and bites.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »

What kind of things would you use a plantain poultice for?

How do you make  the dried plantain into a poultice?

P.S Kristen, your pic is so cute!

What to use it for:
anything you want to DRAW out the poisons/properties.....or to decrease pain
bug bites
Poison Ivy
blemishes
and so much more!

Actually, I just learned how to do it!
Take the dried Plantain...put it in hot water (just enough to wet the herbs). Let the herbs sit for 5 min. Take the wet herbs and put on a cheese cloth (or other cloth). You may have to squeeze out a bit of water.
Let herbs sit for however long you want! (maybe 15-20 min)

Thanks!
I posted the big pict in Chat and Whatever.  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2007, 08:06:34 AM »
Hi, I have some dried plantain from The Bulk Herb Store.  Can you give me some suggestions on how to use the dried.  I suppose that you don't just chew it up.

What all can you use it for?
You can make tea and then use the tea on a cloth for bumps, bruises, cuts, etc or you can freeze it into cubes for later use on the same injuries.  It's worked this way for me many times.  The tea soak saved my son from an ER visit and possibly stitches.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 04:10:36 AM »
I dried some plantain last year for emergency poultices. Just rinsed the leaves w/ water and laid them out on a bath towel in a semi-dark corner, turned them everyday and when they were totally crisp packaged them in a paper sack. ..............

I want to harvest some plantain today to dry and have for winter.  I wondered if I use the above technique if anyone knows about how many days it'll take for them to dry.
Also, would it be better to dry them outside or inside?  We are expecting hot temps here (70-80) for the next several days. 
Please help.  Thanks!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »
I would just do it inside - it only takes a few days - maybe 4 at the most???  I seem to remember it happened quicker than I thought it would.  I'm no expert, though.

HTH

I dried some plantain last year for emergency poultices. Just rinsed the leaves w/ water and laid them out on a bath towel in a semi-dark corner, turned them everyday and when they were totally crisp packaged them in a paper sack. ..............

I want to harvest some plantain today to dry and have for winter.  I wondered if I use the above technique if anyone knows about how many days it'll take for them to dry.
Also, would it be better to dry them outside or inside?  We are expecting hot temps here (70-80) for the next several days. 
Please help.  Thanks!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »
Thanks!  I didn't know we were expecting rain so they got rained on yesterday! 

Nickole

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »
Love that plantain.  My 8.5 yo. son just got stung on the earlobe of all places INSIDE THE HOUSE by a wasp and he's a tough cookie but he was crying pretty hard.  It really hurt!  Funny thing is he came to me calmly rubbing his ear, saying, "I think I just got stung by a wasp on my ear"  then almost immediately, I guess the pain set in, b/c he was like, "YEOW!  I THINK I GOT STUNG BY A WASP ON MY EAR!!! AHHHHH!!!"  Anyway, I immediately held a cottonball soaked in plantain tincture on the area and it was instant pain relief.  Taking it off too early and the pain came back.  After about 10-15 minutes of him holding it there, no more pain.  His earlobe is red and may be swollen but it's hard to tell.  Yay for plantain!

Offline amandamook

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »
Tonight I was talking to my brother in my parents' front yard when I realized I was standing in an ant pile. Aaahh! After I got all the ants off my feet and flip flops, I applied plantain salve on all the bites. Now, they are all gone. I can't tell where I was bitten. The ants got me between the toes. Ouch!! I usually scratch bits until the scab.

I love this stuff!!!

I currently use my plantain salve for:

bug bites
skin rashes
dry hands and cuticles
chapped lips (I don't know if the plantain helps my lips but the olive oil and beeswax in the salve feels good and it's nice to use just one product for everything. I believe in small diaper bags!)
diaper rash
sunburn

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »
is there any reason why you couldn't throw fresh plantain leaves in the blender with coconut oil and EVOO? To make a salve to be stored in the fridge? I don't plan to strain it.  ???
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
Do you think plantain could help athlete's foot? How would I apply it (other than not the salve ;D) ?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Do you think plantain could help athlete's foot? How would I apply it (other than not the salve ;D) ?
I'm not sure about it's antifungal properties, but you could consider making a tincture with apple cider vinegar and plantain as seen in Shoshanna's dvd, Making Herbs Simple.
Basically it it tintured the same way as a vodka tincture is, just with ACV.
I rub it on things using a cotton ball or paper towel.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »

Do you think you could just pour hot water over the leaves in a tub and let it cool and stick your feet in?  I suppose that wouldn't be real practical if you needed to do it a few times a day. You could leave the tub out and just stick your feet in every so often. Probably would need to be made new every day though.
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »
is there any reason why you couldn't throw fresh plantain leaves in the blender with coconut oil and EVOO? To make a salve to be stored in the fridge? I don't plan to strain it.  ???
Sounds good to me...
I was thinking about making a salve like this but modifying the goot to contain the plantain also...did this make any sense?
Basically make goot, but add some fresh plantain to the garlic in the blender.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »
went and got a bunch of leaves (and two plants that are now in our flower box)  mixed them in the blender with EVOO and coconut oil. Slathered it on myself and DS who also has a sunburn. I'll let you know the results tomorrow.  ;D I can say for myself that hot feeling you have when you know you got burnt is totally gone.

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
So, I don't know much about plantain...But I am learning.

When my husband was bit by a bull dog, I gathered a bunch of plantain leaves, crushed some garlic and put both into raw honey.  It hasn't been used, but could you herbal gurus tell me if it would have done any good, or if I wasted raw honey?

Also, my Man is REALLY detail oriented in some areas, this being one of them.  So my question about plantain...do I need to be VERY precise in amounts and proportions when mixing it in anything?

Thanks!

Offline CarlyB

• Adept
  • DD#2 with me
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2008, 05:29:01 AM »
Mrs.B...did you make your plantain like GOOT yet?

Leilani...Did the plantain for sunburn work?

I got stung by a wasp and had nothing but ice on hand. Now I am trying to prepare just incase something happens again. My wasp sting is very itchy today too. Time to make a salve.
Wife of Mr. Steady... wonderful hubby.

Mother to DD-9, DS-6, DS-4, DD-2, and DD- less than 1

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2008, 05:42:15 AM »

Also, my Man is REALLY detail oriented in some areas, this being one of them.  So my question about plantain...do I need to be VERY precise in amounts and proportions when mixing it in anything?

Thanks!
I've never been real precise with plantain... or the proportions.  I've used it on small kids and big grown ups with good effects and no adverse reactions that I could tell or note.
Mrs.B...did you make your plantain like GOOT yet?
I've been really lazy lately, but maybe I'll get motivated and make some tomorrow.... I'll let you know....

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
I have literally chewed and spit plantain on a stings when there was no other option around.  :P So I vote that it's not necessary to be precise.
As far as I know, the only warnings about plantain are in regards to eating it while pregnant.  Topically, it's as safe as anything can be.  Honey and garlic are pretty harmless too, so go slather some goo on hubby and let us know how it works. ;)  ~L

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2008, 08:09:24 AM »
There are no plantain plants in my yard or around my area that I'm aware of.  But, today at the health food store, I saw that they had plantain extract...would that work just as well as the plant leaves?  If so, how would you use it?
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
I saw that they had plantain extract...would that work just as well as the plant leaves?  If so, how would you use it?

You mean, like a tincture?  If it is a tincture, then you can put it on your skin for acne, bites, pull poison out, etc.  HTH!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
If I make a tea with my dried plantain can I apply it to dd's eye?
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
I saw that they had plantain extract...would that work just as well as the plant leaves?  If so, how would you use it?

You mean, like a tincture?  If it is a tincture, then you can put it on your skin for acne, bites, pull poison out, etc.  HTH!

I think it's a tincture...not sure.  It has distilled water, 27% ethanol, & plantain leaf.  It says shake well before using.
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline Mama Bear

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2008, 01:40:01 AM »
I have heard about this herb (?) Weed (?) for some time...even have a salve that I bought that has it in it...We love the salve but can't find it locally anymore.... so, DD had what I 'thought' might be poision ivy on her leg...we tried everything...nothing was making it go away but it wasn't spreading either. Finally, I decided to make a poltice with some plantain....2 days later her spot on her leg was dried up completely!!!
Sooooo...yesterday evening....the little kids and I were out foraging for plantain...we looked so funny roaming the yard!! I made salve last night and am going to give one to a friend...do you have a favorite plantain recipe? the one I got was 1 cup lard and 1lb planatain...melt the lard, add plantain and cook down on low heat till all is green and mushy...strain out and let set back up....wha la....SALVE!!!!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2008, 03:15:11 AM »
I would definitely use coconut oil instead of the lard. Add a bit of beeswax if you want it stiff, as coconut oil melts above 76 degrees.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2008, 03:44:01 AM »
I personally prefer olive oil salves with a bit of bees' wax added in, but that is just my personal preference.
I make a plantain salve that I call Itchy Salve that contains: plantain, comfrey, calendula, marshmallow root, chamomile, thyme, and rosemary.
I also add GSE and essential oils of eucalyptus and rosemary.

I also recently made a Green GOOT... I made traditional GOOT, but infused the olive oil with plantain prior to doing so.  Seems to work well so far...

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2008, 05:14:10 AM »
I am sorry if I am repeating something, I don't have time to read all the pages right now. We are about to go pick some plantain (whole field of it) and I am wanting to make a tincture and salve with it. Is it better to dry it before I do the salve? Also, someone is borrowing my dvd, does Shoshana use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to make the tincture, and is that all she adds to it?
Does anyone have a tried and true salve recipe??
Thanks so much!!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2008, 05:21:48 AM »
Is it better to dry it before I do the salve? Also, someone is borrowing my dvd, does Shoshana use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to make the tincture, and is that all she adds to it?
Does anyone have a tried and true salve recipe??
Thanks so much!!

No need to dry it first.

Apple cider vinegar is what I use. Pretty sure she did too.

That is all that is added. (plantain and vinegar)

I just fudge my salves so no recipe here...