Author Topic: Plantain: When, Why & How to Use  (Read 39661 times)

Offline Kristin_19_78

• Learning
Re: Plantain: When, Why & How to Use
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 05:21:42 AM »
Yes, I did try it...I crushed some, them I chewed some and what is funny is that for HOURS, my mouth felt like i rinsed it with listerine. No minty taste, obviously, but VERY clean and tingly. I made a tea and refigerated it, so all I have to do is dip some gauze/ cloth in it and hold it against his swollen face. He says it feels good. We butterflied the wound, cleaned w/ the pantain tea and have also been putting arnica on it.
My gf said, you should probably take him to the hospital, so he could get antibiotics.........I bit my tongue and just smiled......
No thanks, I have plenty of garlic ;)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
Does anyone know how to dry plantain and chickweed

I pick them and put them on seperate cookie sheets.  Then, if it is really warm out, I'll leave them in the shade on the porch.  If its not too warm, I'll put them in the car.  You don't want to dry them in the sun

Is it still effective once dried?

I believe so!  I make a salve out of both these ingredients (and Olive Oil, beeswax, and other things) and you need the herbage to be dry inorder to use it.  I'm sure you could make a tea out of either herb for whatever you needed it for.

What do you use chickweed for?
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »
A week ago my 10 yr old son got a BAD rope burn on the back of his ankle. Walking back to the house to dress it I asked my husband if he saw any plantain or comfrey. He did not know comfrey but found tiny little plantain just starting to grow. I picked as much as I could and lacking a better way I chewed it into bits put it on a wet paper towel and applied to the burn. He said it gave almost immediate relief and was pretty much the only thing that did. I wish I had picked more and brought it home(we were at my MIL) as it is not growing here yet. I just thought I would give my testimonial. It is good stuff.

LKS

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
So, the No Greater Joy herb lesson said Plantain "tea can be taken with a little honey for lung congestion illnesses like . . . asthma." So, could you make a tincture out of it?

Thoughts?
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 05:43:30 PM »
I put this on U.Exodus, and thought I would put it here, also:

Plantain Flour?  I know, it sounds unreasonable, but apparently it is possible.  Plantain is not only very abundant in most states, but very recognizable.  The long stalks that grow out of the middle of the plant carry the seeds.  Dry the seeds very well and grind into a flour. Here is a recipe from:  Edible Wild Plants; A North American Field Guide, by Elias and Dykeman

PLANTAIN PANCAKES

2 cups Plantain Flour with 3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
3 Tbsp oil
1 cup milk

Stir together and add more milk or flour to make a proper consistency.

I cannot imagine how this tastes for I am not a big plantain fan, but could be a tasty thing for those who like it.  Or if money gets tight.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 05:56:21 PM by healthyinOhio »

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »
My friend was recently stung by a bee and her wrist has been swollen for 10 days. The doc said it was infected and inflammed and all she could do was wait for the fluid to go away.

Any ideas?

I was stung last week by a wasp and actually have a mild-moderate allergy to stings--I don't quit breathing or anything that severe, but usually have severe local swelling for about 2 weeks.
I made a poultice of plantain as mentioned in the above posts and within 4 hours you couldn't even tell that I had been stung.
Plantain is something that I always try to keep in my medicine cabinet and because of my sensitivity to bug bites and stings it has become one of my favorite herbs.

How do you keep plantain in your medicine cabinet?  Whenever we pick it, it just dries out.  How do you keep it fresh?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 03:47:13 AM »

How do you keep plantain in your medicine cabinet?  Whenever we pick it, it just dries out.  How do you keep it fresh?
I do dry it.  I crush it dried into tiny pieces and mix it with some oil or even water and apply it.  I am also planning on making it into an infused oil or salve.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 04:09:29 AM »

I do dry it.  I crush it dried into tiny pieces and mix it with some oil or even water and apply it.  I am also planning on making it into an infused oil or salve.

Ohhhh.  I didn't know it worked that way.  We've had great success with it fresh.

I would really like to know how to make it into an infused oil/salve.  Would you be willing to start a thread on how to do that  or is it already on here somewhere?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 05:02:38 AM »

Ohhhh.  I didn't know it worked that way.  We've had great success with it fresh.

I would really like to know how to make it into an infused oil/salve.  Would you be willing to start a thread on how to do that  or is it already on here somewhere?

:-[
<sheepish>
Thanks HB

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2569.msg1154.html#msg1154
I hope this is the right link; it was in the making tinctures.  This is the warm method, but there is a cold method that is pretty much the same as making a tincture, just use your oil (ie grapeseed) instead of alcohol. 
To make this into a salve, you would heat the mix and melt about 1 tbsp of beeswax into each 4 oz of oil.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 09:23:02 AM »
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2569.msg1154.html#msg1154
I hope this is the right link; it was in the making tinctures.  This is the warm method, but there is a cold method that is pretty much the same as making a tincture, just use your oil (ie grapeseed) instead of alcohol. 
To make this into a salve, you would heat the mix and melt about 1 tbsp of beeswax into each 4 oz of oil.

Cool thanks!!

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Is there a difference in the strength in plantain around the country?

I got stung by a wasp (or something - only heard it buzz and then the wammo!  :o) on Friday morn. I tried everything including the plantain and nothing worked. Went to the doctor yesterday for steriods and now the swelling is just going down.

I was real surprised that the plantain didn't help at all. I live in northwest/middle TN near the KY border. Has anyone else had this experience?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 06:18:30 PM »
I do know that there are different varieties of plantain, wide-leaf and narrow-leaf.  I have always preferred the wide-leaf variety, personally.  I honestly don't know about how soil or climate would affect the strength of any herb, or if it does at all.  We're in NW GA and I have always had good luck with using it.

Offline murfette

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 03:39:44 AM »
Last year I made a salve from melting some Vaseline and then cooking plaintain and a cut up aloe vera leaf in it.  I then put it back in the container and use it for every skin ailment in the family.  We love it and it works great.  I didn’t dry it out before using it but just picked it from my backyard and washed it.

Last week my 2 year old ended up in the emergency room when his toe nail was pushed up and back from a door hitting it.  When he got home his toe was dark, black and bruised looking.  The next day I put a huge gob of the salve on his toe and wrapped a bandage around it (I didn’t think of doing this until the next day.).  About 5 hours later I checked it and it looked totally healed!  It was pink and healthy looking.  Before I did that he wouldn’t walk anywhere but had to be carried.  But after the treatment he was touching the toe himself and walking around as if nothing had happened.  I will be making more and giving this stuff away to friends now.

A year ago my dad used the stuff on his dog's ears because his dog scratched them raw.  They totally healed up over night.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »
When you make this, does it change the color of the Vaseline? I put a bunch of (cut up) fresh leaves in some melted Vaseline and simmered them on the lowest setting on my stove till the leaves were wilted and discolored, then added another bunch of fresh leaves and kept it on low till they were also wilted and discolored. I strained it, put it back in the container, and it's almost the same color as the Vaseline I started with. Did I do it the right way?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 08:36:35 AM »
Would this work if you used coconut oil instead of vaseline?

YoopreMama

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 09:49:18 AM »
After trying it out w/ Vaseline, I made some w/ coconut oil last year...w/ some beeswax, too, I think, so it would solidify.  Mine was green.  Did your aloe make it froth?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 10:52:27 AM »
After trying it out w/ Vaseline, I made some w/ coconut oil last year...w/ some beeswax, too, I think, so it would solidify.  Mine was green.  Did your aloe make it froth?

How long would this last?  Would you necessarily need to use the beeswax if you kept it in the fridge along side the goot?

YoopreMama

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
How long would this last?  Would you necessarily need to use the beeswax if you kept it in the fridge along side the goot?
I don't think you'd need the beeswax if you refrigerate it.  I've done that.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »

If you refidgerate it, it will be so hard, you won't even be able to scoop it out with a knife.  You may want to half/half with olive oil.  It will still get hard, but it will scoop with a spoon.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
I think you could possibly store it in a dark, cool place like a pantry if you add a preservative like Vit E oil or GSE.  Be careful since you live in a warm climate.  I'm finding mold on everything that wasn't in the frig since it started raining and is still so hot.

Offline murfette

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2007, 02:43:10 AM »
When you make this, does it change the color of the Vaseline? I put a bunch of (cut up) fresh leaves in some melted Vaseline and simmered them on the lowest setting on my stove till the leaves were wilted and discolored, then added another bunch of fresh leaves and kept it on low till they were also wilted and discolored. I strained it, put it back in the container, and it's almost the same color as the Vaseline I started with. Did I do it the right way?

When I made it with Vaseline and Aloe it did stay pretty much the same color as the Vaseline.  I do see some flecks of the Plantain in it.  I simmered it all for awhile until it stopped frothing because using Aloe makes it froth up.  As soon as it cooled I was able to use it right away.  I have never stored it in the fridge.  I made it last October and it still works great.

My dad wants me to make a big batch for everyone in the family because he loves the results too.  This time I will put it in baby food jars so it is more portable and can be given to more people than a big jar of Vaseline.

I also want to try making the coconut oil/beeswax method.  How do you make it this way?  Do you cook it up the same as Vaseline?

How do you make it the olive oil/beeswax way?  Does the beeswax added to olive oil cause it to solidify to Vaseline consistancy?  I am looking for it to be more of a salve and not a liquid when I apply it.

YoopreMama

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2007, 03:15:19 AM »
I also want to try making the coconut oil/beeswax method.  How do you make it this way?  Do you cook it up the same as Vaseline?

How do you make it the olive oil/beeswax way?  Does the beeswax added to olive oil cause it to solidify to Vaseline consistancy?  I am looking for it to be more of a salve and not a liquid when I apply it.
I think your questions are answered earlier in this thread, but this one has tips, too:
Vaseline Substitute   :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2007, 05:27:24 AM »
Non Petrolium Jelly
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
I had to share my plantain story with you.
I got stung on the wrist 3 times today by a hornet!  OUCH!  My dad was there and the first thing I thought of was his remedy - lay a cut onion in the area.  So I ran into the house and did that.  Then my dad took over and started rubbing it a little too hard.  Then I remembered plantain!  He said there is some growing near the garden.  So I ran out, grabbed a few leaves, CHEWED them, and put it on the stings.  I have a weak stomach and the thought only made me gag once.  But in hind site, it didn't even taste bad.
The pain went away, though it was swollen for about an hour, and even now, I can't even tell that I was stung!

THANK YOU WELLTELLME
I'd never heard of plantain before you!

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2007, 11:24:33 AM »
My dd just got stung by a wasp. In the house, of all places.  >:(  I immediately thought about plantain.

First thing I did was slap an ice cube on it. While dd was holding that, I grabbed some dried plantain that I'd ordered from the Bulk Herb Store and put it in a coffee cup and poured hot water (from the tap, but ours gets about 130 degrees). I let it sit only for about a minute then pulled some out and smeared on her hand and covered with a sock (cut the top off so it made like an elasticized cloth bandage).

I left that on for about ten minutes, then replaced the plantain with the rest that had been steeping in the hot water. About five minutes later, she asked if she could take it off because it was starting to sting worse.  ??? So I did.

I just checked on her again (now about 10 minutes after I removed it) and she said it feels better. But why would it sting worse? Any ideas?

Also, I was reading some of the earlier posts about making ice cubes with plantain tea...how do you think that would work for stings/bites?

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 04:36:01 AM »
Dd woke up this morning saying her hand hurt (the sting). Did I do something wrong? I thought it shouldn't hurt anymore. I'm going to try to put some more on again, but will it be helpful this late after the initial sting?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 04:52:37 AM »
It sounds like you did everything right.  You could continue the plantain, but you could also try goot if you have it or could make it.  I find that for older stings/bites a mix of goot and plantain works well and the goot helps with some of the pain (or at least it has for me).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
Also, I was reading some of the earlier posts about making ice cubes with plantain tea...how do you think that would work for stings/bites?
My daughter was stung by a wasp and I used a baking soda paste and within 10 minutes the pain and the swelling was gone.  Check this thread out for more on this and other ideas for stings.

Bee, Wasp, Hornet & Other Insect Stings
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »
I have been doing more research on plantain. I figured that it must have internal uses as well. And it does. What a little Miracle herb plantain is to not only be of great helpfulness on our skin but also has healthy benefits  when eaten as well. This site below tells some of the many things plantain can help. It is also high in some vitmins.

Who would ever guess it can help some  stop smoking? Or help with bladder conditions?

http://altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:58:41 PM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »