Author Topic: Palm Oil  (Read 9902 times)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
Palm Oil
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »
Hi all..

Okay, I got some palm oil today...how do I use it?  :P

Thanks - Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

YoopreMama

Re: Palm Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »
Hello, Camille!

Is your oil orangish/red?  I have a jug of it, and use if mostly w/ stir fries and browning meats.  Mine leaves our lips a bit orange.   :P  NOT for use, really, w/ sweet dishes... 

Above Rubies magazine had an article on it...I wonder if their web site has that article??? Are you familiar w/ them?

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
Hey Jen...

Ours is a reddish color, but the jar just says 'Palm Oil', not 'Red Palm Oil'. I have no idea if they are the same thing or not  :-\  You know, I read that articl in Above Rubies...I probably still have it floating around here somewhere..I'll have to go through our mounds (literally) of magazines to see if we still have it!

Thanks - Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:58:10 PM »
The article is not on the Above Rubies website, but I just looked at it in the magazine the other day. Basically, you can use it the same way you do coconut oil: raw or for cooking. Serene researched it & found that it was more stable for cooking than olive & even coconut oils.

We pop our popcorn with it & dh says it's better than movie popcorn! I have also put it in smoothies & fried eggs & potatoes in it. It definitely has a distinct flavor, but, like olive oil, you can probably get used to it.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »
Another recipe: I took this from the Above Rubies "I Love Fat Breakfast" recipe & made it my own. It's even better than I thought it would be!

Cook 1 cup of rolled oats with a small handful of raisins.

In a bowl mash together:

2 bananas
1 T red palm oil
juice of 1/2 -1 whole lemon
1 t. flax oil or any omega fat oil blend (or 2-3 gel capsules)

Stir in oatmeal & enjoy!
Serves mommy & 2-3 young'uns. :)

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the organic palm oil sold by Soaper's Choice.  There are two that say refined and bleached, but the organic does not say that.  I'm wondering if it's a good quality to use for frying/baking.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 01:45:16 AM »
They have very good customer service, so you could ask, but it sounds good! I wouldn't think twice before using the organic stuff... just my thought.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:02:54 AM »
Just bought some organic palm shortening from Spectrum at the commissary (3.50/1 1/2 lbs)  The ingr. list is: mechanically pressed organic palm oil.  Does this sound ok?  I looked at the homegrownfamily website to see what their organic palm shortening says, but I didn't see anything about how it's extracted from the palm nut.  BTW, our African grey parrot loved to eat palm nuts  :)
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31:41 AM »
Here's part of a discussion about Spectrum Palm Shortening, if that might help.... http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15235.msg198721.html#msg198721

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »
My daughter has just been learning all about palm oil and it's effect on orangutans.  Native rainforests are being destroyed at a rate of 300 football fields an hour to be replanted as palm plantations to satisfy the demand for palm oil.  Orangutans are one of the animals that are going from endangered to critically endangered because of the loss of habitat.  They are losing their habitat, being burnt in the clearing of the forest (cleared by starting large fires to clear hundreds of acres at a time) and for those that survive they are being shot as pests in the plantations or captured for illegal animal trade.

The whole palm oil industry is having a devastating effect on animals and also the plants/trees/ the whole biodiversity of areas that haven't even been explored properly yet. 
And the demand for palm oil is rising because it gets used in so many processed foods (biscuits, crackers etc).

So think twice before using palm oil!
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the organic palm oil sold by Soaper's Choice.  There are two that say refined and bleached, but the organic does not say that.  I'm wondering if it's a good quality to use for frying/baking.
Did you ever find an answer to this question?  Someone else asked me in a PM and would love to know.
  My favorite herb book!!