Author Topic: Tonsils & Adenoids  (Read 21177 times)

Offline Hamama

• Learning
Tonsils & Adenoids
« on: October 23, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »
What can we do to help reduce tonsil size when there isn't a current infection?  ???  My daughter and I both had 4 rounds of strep throat a year and a half ago.  Both my daughter and niece have huge tonsils and trouble breathing. Sleep is often interupted and so they are both cranky and have less energy and focus. My pediatrician wanted to have a surgeon remove my daughters tonsils and adenoids this past summer.  :o   My husband said no because he has had all his removed and still snores and gets sore throats. My B-I-L wants my sister to get my nieces down in a week or get them out. My niece is 3 and my daughter is 8. We have done probiotics and garlic and AG immune. Any other suggestions are very appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:26:55 AM by healthybratt »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Tosils and adenoids
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »

Hi,

I had enlarged tonsils and adenoids until my late teens.  And I also had everything you said.  Interupted sleep, cranky cause I wasn't sleeping good, snoring, etc.  When I was away at college I ended up getting an abcess on one tonsil and it was ugly.  I won't even describe what I had to go through to get that thing drained.  Ohhh.  Thinking of it now made me shudder!  Anyways, when I was 19 and came home from college that summer I ended up having both tonsils and adenoids out.  The recovery was awful and I was told if I'd had it done when I was younger I would have been running the next day.  I have a friend whose daughter had it done at age 7 and they had to practically tie her down to get her to rest the next day.  Yes, you can still get strep throat without your t's and a's.  I had chronic tonsillitis (inflammation of the tonsils) so although they weren't always infected I was sooooo prone to infection and took so many antibiotics as a result.  But I've also never had a case of strep throat since either. 

Maybe someone else will have a natural suggestion for getting them down but if they don't, I wouldn't be afraid of having them out.  Especially young.  Sleep is an important part of growing and adequate sleep is important for too many things to let it go.  It sure would have helped my school years if I hadn't have been so tired all the time.  Just my two cents worth. :)

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
Re: Tosils and adenoids
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 03:47:39 AM »
Our oldest had a bad sore throat one year and her glands swelled up big time.  Her tonsils didn't stay swollen but the gland on the left side (I think it was the left  ???) stayed swollen.  I finally took her to the doc cause of this huge bump..and he said not to worry.  (She was about 5 at the time).  Well that lump stayed with her for about 6 or 7 years.  In one way it was nice because it would still swell any time she had something going on.  So whenever she would complain of an ailment I would just look at her bump!  :D  If it was bigger than normal, I knew something was going on and her body was working!  At any rate...it did eventually go away. 

As for the tonsils...we've never had a bout of tonsilitis..and I'm in the age group (barely) when they quit doing T&A routinely...but nver had any problems really.  I know anytime we got a sore throat dad made us gargle with warm salt water (bleh!).  Not sure if this would help if it's chronic though.

I'm sure some of these gals will have some alternatives for you!!! - Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Tonsils & Adenoids
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 05:29:05 AM »
My daughter has problems with her tonsils for years (she's 14).  She usually gets strep and tonsillitis 3-4 times a year, every year. 

Then she was diagnosed with asthma last year.  As a result, I took her off homogenized milk.  This may or may not be connected, but I've noticed, since taking her off the milk, she's not had strep or tonsillitis since.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Hamama

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
We bought a cow about a year ago and so we get real milk. The change made a big difference for all in the family. No one has had strep in about eighteen months now, but still having side affects of the four courses of anti-biotics...and my daughter still has swollen but not sore tonsils.

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 02:50:45 AM »
My 6-year old son has had enlarged adenoids (and tonsils) for almost all of his life.  A few doctors/dentist have voiced concern, and one ENT suggested surgery at one point (when he was 3).  But, I put it off until he was older.  (hoping they would shrink on their own)  Well, now he's older....and still no improvement.  Another doctor has given him meds for 'allergies'  (pediatan is the med).  She said that allergies can make adenoids swollen.  But, I hesitate to start giving him meds (indefinitely) for something I'm not even sure he has.  Any advice/info about treating any possible 'allergies' naturally, before I try the meds (and then possibly surgery)?  Also, any advice/info/experience about enlarged adenoids, the surgery, etc. would be much appreciated. 
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:03:24 AM »
Khix,

It is true that some allergies will make them swollen, because that is their job; to fight infection.  My only question for you is: does the swollen adenoids affect his breathing passages(sleep apnea)?  If not, I wouldn't worry about it.  My husband's doctors wanted to take his out around 9-10 and he refused.  He jus has really big tonsils to begin with and when he is sick, the swell to an enormous size.
My son, on the other hand, was born with enlarged adenoids that did not shrink with any natural help and he stopped breathing a lot because they blocked his airways.  We opted for surgery at 20 months for him and were actually glad we did.  HTH!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:51:40 AM »
My 6-year old son has had enlarged adenoids (and tonsils) for almost all of his life.  A few doctors/dentist have voiced concern, and one ENT suggested surgery at one point (when he was 3).  But, I put it off until he was older.  (hoping they would shrink on their own)  Well, now he's older....and still no improvement.  Another doctor has given him meds for 'allergies'  (pediatan is the med).  She said that allergies can make adenoids swollen.  But, I hesitate to start giving him meds (indefinitely) for something I'm not even sure he has.  Any advice/info about treating any possible 'allergies' naturally, before I try the meds (and then possibly surgery)?  Also, any advice/info/experience about enlarged adenoids, the surgery, etc. would be much appreciated. 
Respiratory/Seasonal Allergies
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »
Any other experiences in figuring out causes/natural treatments?

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »
I'm digging in a sleeping topic. I was hoping more has come to light since last year.  Any thing happing with your ladies toddlers?  Did you opt for surgery? find a natural cure to bring the swelling down?

My 3yob has an ENT appt in a week and a half, and we're looking at having his adenoids removed. (adenoidectomy)  So far what I have found in research on the internet has not alarmed me for this simple procedure.  And I've read that after about 3 years old, the adenoids cease to function as an immune defense.  What are you're all's thoughts on the matter?

(BTW-yea, I'm still here, just don't have as much time to play on here as before :)  )
I'm smiling! :D

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »
I'm looking for more answers on this topic. My 3-year-old snores and has sleep apnea, as well as having her oxygen absorption rate drop to 87% at night (we had a sleep study done because she also has a neuromuscular disease).

The doctor's suggestion was to try a steroid nasal spray to shrink her adenoids, but I'm hesitating. Is there any natural remedy that might do the same thing? They want to try it for 8 weeks, then do surgery if it doesn't correct itself.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:17:09 PM »
Bump  ;D Has anyone had success treating enlarged tonsils or adenoids naturally?

Offline Shady Lane

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
It's interesting to see that this isn't an original problem.  I came here hoping to find a brilliant row of proven natural cures.  Apparently the right people haven't read this thread yet.  (I hope!!)

So I'll present my issue.

I have three children ages 6, 4 and almost 2.  For the last few months, they have all had very swollen tonsils.  No fever, or complaints about sore throat or any other complaints.  I don't think there are any related sleep issues either. 

My 6 year old had a bad ear infection that wound up being treated with antibiotics last winter, which was the first time any of them had antibiotics.  Other than that, we haven't really been sick, aside from the occasional sniffle.

It strikes me as strange that all three of them would have the same issue at once.  I googled 'allergy related tonsilitis' and did find an article saying that food allergies can be a cause for ongoing swollen glands.
http://www.nutramed.com/children/tonsils_nodes.htm

But how likely is it that my children all became allergic to something around the same time?  And with no other symptoms.

Could they be getting exposed to something toxic?  What other possibilities are there?  Any ideas or suggestions?

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I have a word of caution about the tonsilectomy or adenoidectomy. I posted awhile ago about natural alternatives to surgery. We couldn't find any, so we went ahead with the surgery. Now, I really do think she needed it - a sleep study showed that she was having 172 episodes of severe obstructive sleep apnea per night  :o so every time she went to sleep she was in danger.

My caution is probably for just about any surgery. We do things very naturally, but she has some special needs (all physical, no mental). So after the surgery, she wouldn't wake up. And they were only acting mildly concerned about it, but I happened to overhear one of the nurses say that they had given her two extra doses of a valium-like medication, so of course she was still sleeping. That really concerned me, so I asked for a list of the medications they had given her during the surgery and I was flabbergasted! She is a tiny little peanut, and the amounts and varieties of medications was huge - the nurses and doctors told me that they had given her too much. As a result, she had difficulty waking up, and then on top of it, the outpatient surgery turned into 5 days in the hospital with breathing problems - all because of the medication!

So the lesson I learned is that even for what might be a "basic" surgery, I am going to ask ahead of time for a list of what medications they will give, and under what circumstances they will give them. She has epilepsy, so they also automatically dosed her with a dangerous anti-seizure med that she'd never had before, even though she didn't need it. I know she really needed the surgery, but I regret not finding out more about the medications before hand.