Author Topic: Whole Wheat & Wheat Grinders  (Read 119216 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Whole Wheat & Wheat Grinders
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 06:12:59 AM »
Here is my recipe which includes "soaking" in an acidic medium to neutralize phytates.  I am copying it from my website.  I have a Magic Mill (Electrolux) Assistent 2000 DLX, which is basically a big stand mixer.  I have never made this by hand or in a bread machine, but it comes out wonderfully fluffy and light w/ my mixer.  It makes 2 large (8.5" x 4.5") loaves.  I have found the egg to be crucial; otherwise it falls half the time!  I used to add gluten and lecithin but then I left them out one time and couldn't tell a difference so I don't use them anymore.  That and I avoid soy now (lecithin).

Ingredients
5-6 cups freshly milled flour (hard red or hard white) (see Notes below)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 egg
1/3 cup honey
1 cup water
1 cup kefir (yogurt might work; never tried it)
1 scant tablespoon instant yeast
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

Instructions
In the DLX mixer, combine the water, kefir, olive oil, egg, honey, salt, and enough flour so the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (everything EXCEPT the yeast).
Mix well, cover, and allow to sit in a warm place for at least 7 hours.
Add the yeast and let the mixer knead the dough for 10-12 minutes.
Divide dough in half. On a lightly oiled surface, roll each half into a rectangle and then roll up, pinwheel style, along the shorter edge. Pinch along the seam to seal.
Place each loaf seam-side down in a large (1.5-2 lb.) loaf pan that has been greased with butter or olive oil on the bottom and sides. Or you can skip the oil and just line the loaf pan with sheets of parchment paper.
Let loaves rise in a warm place until the tops are 1-2 inches above the pan, about an hour or longer.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes. Be careful not to bang the pans while putting them in the oven or the loaves may fall.  Or, 25 minutes @ 325 degrees in a convection oven.
When they are done, take them out of the pans immediately to avoid soggy sides. You can use a spatula to loosen each side of the loaf from the pan, and they usually slide right out. If you use the parchment paper it comes out very easily.
Place on a cooling rack and cover with a dish towel while they cool. The towel helps keep the crust from getting too hard/thick.
When slightly cooled (about 20 minutes), place each loaf in a plastic bag. This helps retain softness and moisture.
If you wish to freeze the loaves, put them in the freezer immediately after placing them in the bags. When ready to use them, allow to thaw on the counter, not the microwave. This will only take a couple of hours, and they will still be moist and light.

Notes
You may have to use a little more than 5 cups of flour. You don't want wet dough, but you don't want it dry as a bone, either.
To make the honey slide out of the measuring cup easily, measure the oil first and then the honey (using the same measuring cup).
You want to let the dough sit for at least 7 hours but not much more than 12 hours else the end result will be sour. If you like sourdough bread, let it go longer.
If you add the yeast with the other ingredients, the bread will taste yeasty and nasty!

thanks so much for this recipe!  i made it the other day and i LOVE it!  i made it with yogurt that i made and i was even (which was a little too watery to eat) and it turned out great!  it beats my reg. recipe and is exactly what i have been trying to get mine to do for over a year!  will be making it often!   ;D

one question though--have you ever substituted raw sugar for the honey?  i don't have an economical way to get honey, and have always used raw sugar in my bread.  i figured the yeast "ate" it anyway.  what do you think?   ???
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »
I was reading that all grains should be soaked because of the phytates.  Do you grain grinding ladies do anything about that?  I was a little confused in the book I read because it said grind and then soak.  ???  To me that would seem to equal mush?  Has anyone out there tried it? 

I have had a Bosch Mixer w/ blender for 3 years now and a NutriMill grain mill for about 2 yrs...they are both a huge time and nutrient saver for me.  I've read about the phytates in grains in Nourishing Traditions (NT) and some of Sue Gregg's materials.  I soak almost all my grains before cooking them.  I use recipes from NT to cook Buttermilk Biscuits, Cream Cheese Pastries, Rice, Yougurt Dough (for pizza crust, filled sandwiches, etc), Hot Cereal...(I can't think of any more off the top of my head.)  And I use Sue Gregg's recipes for pancakes, waffles, cornbread (substituting masa for corn) and coffee cakes.  My family and I really like the taste of all of these.  We've tried others, but these are winners every time!

Sanya

Hi Sanya!

I have a Nutrimill too and love it!   I was wondering if you have put the grains that you have sprouted and dried through your Nutrimill!  I have been afraid to try it in case it makes it to soft to grind!  Thanks
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline Sanya

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 04:02:56 PM »
Hi Sanya!

I have a Nutrimill too and love it!   I was wondering if you have put the grains that you have sprouted and dried through your Nutrimill!  I have been afraid to try it in case it makes it to soft to grind!  Thanks

I'm probably the worst person to ask that question.  I did try sprouting then grinding my grains two times.  The sprouts were dried and hard enough, but it was difficult for me to get them to feed through the opening at the top of the mill.  It's been a while back and I don't remember if I knew that I could open the opening wider.  (No, I'm not blonde...African Americans' hair doesn't usually come in that shade.   :D)  Once I finally got the sprouts ground, my baked goods tasted terrible.  I probably just need to keep trying and learn how it should be done.  Shame on me, I've just given up for now.  Maybe the urge will hit me again to grind sprouted grains.   :-\  In the meantime, I just soak my grains and make blender batters.   :)  Sorry I wasn't more help...maybe someone else out there has had more success.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:12:41 PM by Sanya »
"Every day is a good day...some days are just better than others. "     ~ My Hubbie  :>

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
(No, I'm not blonde...

>:( Hey I resemble that remark.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Sanya

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
(No, I'm not blonde...

>:( Hey I resemble that remark.  ;D

Healthybratt, there was no offense meant in that statement.  I know that some of the smartest, most successful people are blonde and every other hair color.  If hair color did have any relationship with intellect, we'd have some people of all nationalities with the same hair color.  Acutally, since God is the creator of everyone, all of us would probably have the same hair color...who could actually call themselves intellectual when before Him?   ???  Ok, I'm deviating here...probably digging myself in deeper.  :-[  I think I'll stop now.   :-X
"Every day is a good day...some days are just better than others. "     ~ My Hubbie  :>

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »
Healthybratt, there was no offense meant in that statement. 

HB has a good sense of humor.  No apologies necessary, REALLY.   ;D  and suffers from blonde moments from time to time... ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Elbereth

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 02:59:08 PM »
I tried the recipe from a new creation...

I love it and so does my family!  I have been making whole wheat bread for years, but I recently read Nourishing Traditions and have wanted a recipe that uses regular ingredients but is soaked.  I can't sprout then grind, because I can't use my oven at 150 degrees, it just shuts off and my blender is not strong enough, etc...  Anyway, I altered the recipe a little because from what I've heard, soaking it with salt will halt the process that you're trying to make happen, and I wasn't too sure about the egg and honey in there during the soaking process, so I just soaked the flour overnight in the warm water and 3 tablespoons of yogurt or whey (I've done it with both), adding a little extra water to make it a nice moist ball (just to where it won't stick to the bowl as I'm kneading it - in the bowl - )  and then when it was time, I just added the other ingredients, minus the yogurt and it turned out "Mahvelous Dahling"   :) 

After I made it once, I divided it up into two loaves and one, I sprinkled with sesame seeds and the other I kneaded in cinnamon and sugar and raisins, and it turned out great!  Then the next day I sliced it and made some garlic oil (left the pressed garlic in there) and spooned it on the bread and laid it on a baking sheet and sprinkled the bread slices with parmesan cheese and baked it and served it with spaghetti and the family loved it!   :D  I finally found a way to get garlic into my children when they are sick!!!!!! ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 05:10:05 PM »
I tried the recipe from a new creation...

Anyway, I altered the recipe a little because from what I've heard, soaking it with salt will halt the process that you're trying to make happen, and I wasn't too sure about the egg and honey in there during the soaking process, so I just soaked the flour overnight in the warm water and 3 tablespoons of yogurt or whey (I've done it with both),

thanks!  i've been wondering about that too, having the egg,etc. in there.  i think that i will leave that stuff out next time too.  it makes a nice moist bread though doesn't it!?   ;D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 02:19:37 AM »
Hi Sanya!

I'm probably the worst person to ask that question.  I did try sprouting then grinding my grains two times.  The sprouts were dried and hard enough, but it was difficult for me to get them to feed through the opening at the top of the mill.  It's been a while back and I don't remember if I knew that I could open the opening wider.  (No, I'm not blonde...African Americans' hair doesn't usually come in that shade.   :D)  Once I finally got the sprouts ground, my baked goods tasted terrible.  I probably just need to keep trying and learn how it should be done.  Shame on me, I've just given up for now.  Maybe the urge will hit me again to grind sprouted grains.   :-\  In the meantime, I just soak my grains and make blender batters.   :)  Sorry I wasn't more help...maybe someone else out there has had more success.

HI,

Just saw your response!  Thanks for the info?  LOL!   I lived in a mixed neighborhood and some of the AAs here have blonde hair!   LOL, I know, they either have dyed it!  Let me know if you try again.  In the meantime, I would like to try to do the blender batters!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Elbereth

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2006, 03:38:06 AM »
Oops, I forgot to add that I don't roll it out or anything, just separate it in half and plop it in the lard-greased pan.  Then, turn it over and sprinkle the sesame seeds over it.  Cover it up and leave it for 3 hours or so.  Mine NEVER rises in just 2 hours.  It usually takes between 3 and 4.  Maybe the temperature of our house?  Not sure.  Also, I tried the recipe with evaporated cane juice, I just added a little bit extra, like 1/2 a cup, and it was just as good.  I don't like to cook with my raw honey because I figure I could just buy regular honey that is not raw and not as expensive to do that with....just my opinion.

One more thing, I forgot to say that I knead it in the bowl (with my hand held electric mixer and sometimes with just my hand)  after the ingredients are added.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:53 AM »
hi all!  i am looking for a way to make homemade whole grain bread that turns out light rather than dense.  i like it dense and my hubby would prefer it the other way.  every time i have made a light loaf, it rises and then starts to fall, or the top looks all lumpy.  what am i doing wrong?  any ideas or suggestions?  the recipe i have is the basic 6 loaf recipe for a large mixer that you see everywhere.  thanks ahead!  8) 

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2006, 03:40:10 AM »
My bread does the same thing sometimes...I think it's due to overrising. (I get easily sidetracked and 2 hours later realize my bread is still rising :o) - just my thought, any other ideas?
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline msdiamond16

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2006, 07:58:30 AM »
We have a whisper mill that lasted a couple of months before it started to fall apart :(
 the green conecter tube broke the motor has needed repairs every week or so....... And so much for whisper! It is very loud!
  The ultramill sound interesting, would hold out with hard usage? Our family REALLY uses it a lot.
 Also does anyone know of a grinder that would do sugar? We use raw sugar and succanot and I am always stumped when a recipe calls for confectioners sugar. I try doing it in a blender but I am afraid I will evantually break it, any suggestions?

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »
I have just recently started getting "into" healthy eating. I have been looking into buying a grain mill to make our own flour, does anyone have one? And, if so, what kind do you recommend? I would really like to find a used one, maybe someone didn't use much, but if I can't find one, I want to buy one eventually. Thanks. I also would like a great wheat bread recipe.

I own a Corona grain mill, with stones.  I bought it about 10 years ago, and from what I can find on the web, it hasn't changed much.  It was very inexpensive, is available from different places, including thesustainablevillage.com, but make sure you get stones.  We also have the corn grinding burrs, but find it is easier to put corn in the blender, then grind with the stones in our Corona.   I also have a small electric grain mill (no longer made) which  is much easier, faster, but I don't think the flour is as good as the stone ground.  I have included some links about the Corona, one hates it the other loves it, so read and decide on your own.  It is not big, nor fancy, but inexpensive and lasts long.

Lehman's NonElectric catalog is another good place to look for mills.  I think they are expensive, but you could get some good info and look elsewhere to purchase.  I actually like the idea of the bigger mills, with the flywheels, but they are far more expensive, and I have not seen many of them with stones, but steel burrs instead.  Nothing like stoneground flour! :P

http://waltonfeed.com/self/grind5.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural_Health/1971_January_February/When_You_Own_a_Corona

Offline AngelaRN2006

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »
<<I was reading that all grains should be soaked because of the phytates.  Do you grain grinding ladies do anything about that? >>

I had never heard of phytates until reading this section of the posts, and found this when researching. If this information is true, then soaking your flour is an un needed extra step in getting rid of the phytates.

Code: [Select]
When bread is leavened by yeast ezymes degrade phytic acid and phytates pose no problem. Phytic acid is also destroyed during baking and food processing.Enzymes, called phytases, destroy phytates during certain food processes such as: the yeast-raising of dough, the sprouting of seeds, grains, legumes, the roasting of nuts, presoaking beans, cooking, fermentation as in tempeh, miso, and natto, combining acidic foods with zinc-rich foods, etc

here is the link to the site where I read the info.
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C212360.html

Offline Sanya

• Learning
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 10:22:07 AM »
A-New-Creation, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for sharing that bread recipe.  I baked a recipe yesterday and it came out like store bought bread.  My family loved it!!!  It even holds toghether well enough to make sandwiches that you don't have to carefully handle.  I put one loaf in the freezer...before the day was over (we'd eaten the other loaf) we had to take it out to thaw.  I baked a double batch today.   ;D

It is also a blessing for two other reasons.   I was given a 45# bucket of hard red wheat and I haven't had success with anything I've tried to bake...now I have a definite HIT!  We are, too, trying to get away from eatiing unsoaked/unfermented grains.  So this recipe is our deliverance from eating sandwiches on leftover biscuits (NT's recipe/soaked). ;)  (My other good yeast bread recipe isn't soaked.)

Also, will you post your website.  I'd love to see what other gold nuggets you have to share. :)

Thanks again,
Sanya!

Nickole

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »
So has anyone used the grain mill attachment for the champion juicer?  I have a champion juicer yet in the booklet the grain mill part looks very small and empties into a little bitty pouch.  Does it only make a small amount at a time?  Is it worth it?  I was looking into a WhisperMill but teh champion attachment would be cheaper...

Nickole

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2006, 01:54:17 PM »
So has anyone used the grain mill attachment for the champion juicer?  I have a champion juicer yet in the booklet the grain mill part looks very small and empties into a little bitty pouch.  Does it only make a small amount at a time?  Is it worth it?  I was looking into a WhisperMill but teh champion attachment would be cheaper...

Nickole

I have the grain mill attachment for the champion and use another containger to catch the flour instead of the bag.  I can do three cups of wheat berries at a time.  I grind hard white wheat and have to grind it once backed off one notch from the finest setting and again at the finest setting.  If I only do three cups of berries, I can poor the flour back into the funnel and grind again on the finest setting without needing extra bowls.  It gets hot so I only do three cups, ground twice, and then wait for the shaft to cool to the touch.  It takes about 5 minutes to grind twice and about 20-30 minutes to cool.

I saw this thread because I am trying to find out if this heating is ruining my wheat.  My FIL has a $2000+ dollar juicer that grinds wheat and he claims it gets too hot to touch from grinding a small amount of wheat.  How hot is too hot and how hot is just a fact of the grinding process???
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »
A-New-Creation, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for sharing that bread recipe.  I baked a recipe yesterday and it came out like store bought bread.  My family loved it!!!  It even holds toghether well enough to make sandwiches that you don't have to carefully handle.  I put one loaf in the freezer...before the day was over (we'd eaten the other loaf) we had to take it out to thaw.  I baked a double batch today.   ;D

It is also a blessing for two other reasons.   I was given a 45# bucket of hard red wheat and I haven't had success with anything I've tried to bake...now I have a definite HIT!  We are, too, trying to get away from eatiing unsoaked/unfermented grains.  So this recipe is our deliverance from eating sandwiches on leftover biscuits (NT's recipe/soaked). ;)  (My other good yeast bread recipe isn't soaked.)

Also, will you post your website.  I'd love to see what other gold nuggets you have to share. :)

Thanks again,
Sanya!

Sorry, I just saw this.  My website w/ recipes is at:  http://dougandcarla.truepath.com/recipes.  Some of the recipes are from before we started eating healthy, so keep that in mind. ;)  I tried to go back and change them all but probably missed something.

Glad you liked the recipe!
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »
I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...
We have a nutrimill grinder purchased from www.pleasanthillgrain  for $249.95. They have the absolute bottom price on them and wonderful customer service. We were going to get a whispermill/wondermill but heard the company sold out and the quality was now" bunk". I think it is true too. Anyway the design of the nutrimill is much handier. I love it for grinding wheat. We have a hand mill I use to make cracked grains for cereal or for oily products like seeds.
Someone mentioned the Bosch I just got mine!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!! The exact same recipe makes 3 loaves instead of two so you can tell it is much lighter and fluffier. The mixer can knead it better and in less time. Bread making doesn't take as much time anymore and we are eating it soooo fast. I don't know what I did without it. I got the mixing unit and the blender and use it probably 3x a day. Again I recommend pleasanthill grains. $329 for mixer/blender...
Now if I can just get NT and figure out about soaking grains :P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2006, 06:16:49 PM »
My bread does the same thing sometimes...I think it's due to overrising. (I get easily sidetracked and 2 hours later realize my bread is still rising :o) - just my thought, any other ideas?

julie!  sorry, i just found this! i have had this happen lots and i just punch it down and reshape it & let it rise again.  it doesn't take as long the second time.  also, i think i haven't been adding enough flour.

i've been making the soaked flour recipe on here, and have a heck of a time getting it done right!  this time i added extra flour, (up to 14 cups) and twice the yeast.  it came out much better.  guess you just gotta know what you are doin' and i don't!   :P   ::) 

how's your baby doin?

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2006, 07:47:27 AM »
I am dying to make my own bread with freshly-milled grains. The more I read, it seems that the Nutrimill is probably the best ???. I have only compared Pleasant Hill Grain (as mentioned above) and Urban Homemaker prices, and they have pretty much the same prices & deals. Like right now, there is a package deal on the Bosche Universal & Nutrimill. Same price on both sites.

So now I'm trying to decide what I really need to get. Is the Boshe Universal just absolutely amazing & make bread-making so much more efficient? It sounds like a good idea to me, only because I don't have any bread-making experience (except for dumping an easy white flour :P recipe in the maching & turning it on). I want to use all whole grains & have less crumbly bread.  I do have a regular Oster stand mixer with dough hooks. Would this be almost as good?

I also noticed that the Bosche has a meat grinder attachment. Does anybody have experience with this? DH hunts & we would like to have a good grinder to do our own processing. Is it worth it?

Another question is about grain. What kind to get & where to get it at the best price? We have a small co-op, not sure about prices or even what prices to look for. I think prices at our health food store & small co-op are anywhere between .50 & .80/lb for a few different kinds of organic wheat. Can I get it cheaper online? Any suggestions?

Well, I guess these are all of my questions for now. Thanks!!

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2006, 09:24:20 AM »
  Any of you all ever try desem bread? It is a naturally leavend bread made with freshly (or as fresh as you can get it) ground flour water and salt. It would be very nutritious. No phytic acid. Very digestible like sourdough. Absolutelyl no yeast added to it. You get it started similair to sourdough. It takes a cooler temp. than sourdough. BUT it is a lot lighter and has a different flavor. No sour. It would only be for the truly dedicated bread baker. ;D Just kidding. Just thought I would put the challenge out there. I started this in another thread. Search under Naturally leavened bread or desem bread. It has a link to the recipe online with instructions and pictures. I have made this myself and kept it going until we moved out of state. We are building and I'm waiting to get settled before I start it again. I figured anyone who goes to the effort to grind their own wheat might just be interested in little bit of a challenging recipe.  Let me know if anyone gets it going. Happy baking!!
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline yanceysemdj

• Learning
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »
I was wondering, do any of you ladies have an opinion about the kitchen aid grain grinder attachment?
Happy to be Mrs. Yancey and mom to Stephan 20, Elizabeth 19, Matthew 17, David 5, James - waiting for us in the arms of our Saviour, Anna 2, Faith- with the Lord, and ?? (anticipated January 2010)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2006, 05:08:09 PM »
So now I'm trying to decide what I really need to get. Is the Boshe Universal just absolutely amazing & make bread-making so much more efficient?

I also noticed that the Bosche has a meat grinder attachment. Does anybody have experience with this? DH hunts & we would like to have a good grinder to do our own processing. Is it worth it?

Another question is about grain. What kind to get & where to get it at the best price? We have a small co-op, not sure about prices or even what prices to look for. I think prices at our health food store & small co-op are anywhere between .50 & .80/lb for a few different kinds of organic wheat. Can I get it cheaper online? Any suggestions?

Well, I guess these are all of my questions for now. Thanks!!

i have the Bosche Universal and i love it.  :D  the blender is really powerful, although i have had trouble with stuff leaking out the bottom into the motor.  i don't really use it a lot (like daily) but when i do, i try not to let it sit on the stand.  i blend and take it off.  when that has happened i was pureeing lots of tomatoes.  it does a great job though.  the mixer does make bread baking really easy.  i was like you when i started, and though i think some people come by it more naturally, and i'm a slow learner, ::)  i think my bread is decent.  i don't have experience with the meat grinder though. 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2006, 04:43:30 AM »

I have a friend who owns the meat grinder. They grind over 200 lbs. of venison and lamb in a season. She hasn't had any problem with it clogging w/ bits of sinew. They like it. We are planning on getting one any day now in anticipation of hunting season. I'd love to have a bigger commercial grinder someday, but for now the Bosch grinder seems like a good deal.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2006, 04:47:29 AM »
So now I'm trying to decide what I really need to get. Is the Boshe Universal just absolutely amazing & make bread-making so much more efficient?

I just got my Bosch and love it.  I got mine on ebay for $154 with the blender and also grating/slicing attachment.  I did have to watch for a long time to get it that cheap, but you could at least check it out.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2006, 04:54:57 AM »

I live in SE MN and buy all my wheat at.... the Albert Lea Seed House in the farmers' seed section.  Most people look at me like I'm crazy, but I can get organic wheat in 50# bags for $9.60 - that's 19 cents a pound.  It's clean - I've never had a problem with it and I've bought 500+ pounds of wheat, oats, flax. alfalfa for sprouting, and others this way.

You would need to buy it when it is available and know what kind of wheat (spring, winter, hard, red, etc?) you want, but I've never found anyone who can come close to the price.  If you are in a wheat planting area - I would highly recommend it.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Nickole

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2006, 03:20:23 PM »
I was wondering, do any of you ladies have an opinion about the kitchen aid grain grinder attachment?

I have a friend who used hers all the time.  Finally got a magic mill, I think it was, just to be able to grind more at a time, but she said it worked great.  In fact I was going to buy it from her, b/c I got a Kitchen Aid but then I realized my Vita Mix DOES work to grind grain, so I don't need to buy anything else! 

Offline yanceysemdj

• Learning
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »

I have a friend who used hers all the time.  Finally got a magic mill, I think it was, just to be able to grind more at a time, but she said it worked great.  In fact I was going to buy it from her, b/c I got a Kitchen Aid but then I realized my Vita Mix DOES work to grind grain, so I don't need to buy anything else! 

Thanks, I'm looking for one on ebay. Glad your Vita Mix works, it's always great to not have to buy something!
Happy to be Mrs. Yancey and mom to Stephan 20, Elizabeth 19, Matthew 17, David 5, James - waiting for us in the arms of our Saviour, Anna 2, Faith- with the Lord, and ?? (anticipated January 2010)